There is another threat about Paladin Tanks on the forum but it's not that good for understanding the basics from new players that choose to play as a Paladin Tank.
First of all I would like to start with this: Tanking is more of and Art rather than science so you could realy improvise in the way you feel it will be much better for your playstyle rather than something that most of the Pally Tanks use. Also this a PvE Oriented Guide!
Usefull Abbreviations for Protection Paladins(most of them are not used in this Guide)
EH - Effective Health
HS - Holy Shield
SS- Sacred Shield
AS - Avenger's Shield
HotR - Hammer of the Righteous
ShR - Shield of Righteousness
SoW - Seal of Wisdom
SoR - Seal of Righteousness
SoV - Seal of Vengeance/Seal of Corruption
SoC - Seal of Command
SoL - Seal of Light
SoJ - Seal of Justice
JoW - Judgement of Wisdom
JoL - Judgement of Light
JoJ - Judgement of Justice
LoH - Lay on Hands
HoJ - Hammer of Justice
CD - Cooldown
GCD - Global Cooldown
AM - Aura Mastery
DiSac - Divine Sacrifice
DG - Divine Guardian
DP - Divine Protection
DS - Divine Shield/Bubble
HoP - Hand of Protection
HoSac - Hand of Sacrifice
HoF - Hand of Freedom
HoS - Hand of Salvation
(G)BoM - (Greater) Blessing of Might
(G)BoW - (Greater) Blessing of Wisdom
(G)BoS - (Greater) Blessing of Sanctuary
(G)BoK - (Greater) Blessing of Kings
Str - Strength
Agi - Agility
Int - Intellect
Stam - Stamina
AP - Attack Power
SP - Spell Power
TPS - Threat per second
DPS - Damage per second
PPM - Proc Per Minute
DMG - Damage
DR - Damage Reduction
BV - Block Value
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the best race for Paladin Tanks?
For Alliance all three races have their upsides. As for Hordes your realy dont have a choice since Blood Elfs are the only race than can be a Paladin.
Dwarfs have 5 Expertise when they use Maces while humans have only 3 with Swords and Maces also Dwarfs have Stoneform which is quite usefull when they are bleed effects also a good CD when there is a Huge Physical Spike DMG. Humans on the other hand have Every Man For Himself which proves to be usefull when you need to remove some kind of Fear/Stun effect to safe some of your healers and its alot better to use this rather than Divine Shield cause DS cleares all your threat.
Draenei have only a Self Heal that helps during leveling and when your farming. The 1 % Hit Raid Wide is usefull too but most of the times there are more than 1 Draenei in the raid.
Blood Elves have a way to interupt casters which due to Arcane Torrent and the mana returning helps reduce the downtime while you are leveling or farming.
The proffestion bosnuses for both JC and Ench can come usefull too to skip those hard to farm leveling recipes. Also Humans can finish their rep farms 10 % Faster and Dwarfes can track Treasure Chests. The race chosing is crealy all about the looks so choose whatever you like the most.
I've got 540 defense skill so I should be uncrittable, but some mobs in instances or outdoors are still critting me. What's going on with that?
Most of the Outdoor mobs and some instance mobs haves buffs that increase their crit chance further but thats not something your should worry about bacause there isn't a known boss that have higher than 5.6% crit chance which is actualy why the cap is 540.
For other questions feel free to PM me or ask here I will gladly reply to them.
Stats and Ratings
- 1 Str = 2 AP
- 10 Str = 5 BV (6.5 with Redoubt)
- 10 Str = 6 SP due to Touched by the Light
Str is the Main Threat stat for Pallys since it Gives you more SP, BV and AP which are the stats that make all your abilities stronger since most of your spells scale from AP and SP (HotR Scales only from AP) and ShR scales directly with your BV. Also BV gives your a small amount of DR since most of the time you will be Blocking attacks.
Each point of Stamina increases your HP Pool by 10. Also Sacred Duty and Combat Ratings increase your Stamina by 8 % and 6 % respectively and a Total of 14.48 %. Stam is also the stat you should look for cause on WoTLK Melee Attacks are not that big of an Issue for tanks.
- 59.89 Agi = +1% dodge chance.
- 52.08 Agi = +1% melee crit chance. All of your ability(exept Exorcism) scale with Melee Crit
- 1 Agi = 2 Armor
Although it gives you direct DMG Mitigation and Avoidanceits not a stat that you would like to gem for or gear for since rating give alot more Dodge and Armor is found on every item you get.
- 1 Int = 15 Mana
- 166.67 Intellect = +1% chance to crit with spells.
Int is quite unneeded for Tank but it haves it usefullnes but should only come from Buffs and nothing more. The increasement in your mana pool means more mana from Replenishment effects and also more mana from Sanctuary. It also gives you spell crits but the only thing that benefits from Spell Crit are your Heals and your Exorcism and neither of them are included in your rotations.
- 4.92 defense rating = 1 defense skill (If you're new to these stats, pay careful attention to the difference between defense rating and defense skill.)
- 25 defense skill gives:
- 1% chance to take a critical hit from melee or ranged (non-spell) attacks.
- 1% chance to be missed
- 1% chance to dodge, parry, and block (each).
Most of the mobs have a 5 % Crit Chance against a level 80 player with 400 Defense Skill(which is the base skill for all classes) and you need to avoid that. Every 1 level difference give 0.2 % Increased Crit Chance and for a level 83 (Which is the level of all bosses) makes it a total 5.6 % Crit Chance to avoid so that means 5.6 * 25 = 140 Defense Skill (689 defense rating) and a total of 540 Defense Skill needed to avoid crits on a Boss. For Heroics the highest level boss in there is 82 and you need 535 Def Rate(664 defense rating) for there to be Crit Caped.
- 45.25 rating = 1% chance to dodge.
- Dodging an attack means that you wount take any DMG from it.
- Dodge suffers from diminishing returns meaning that the more Dodge you have the more rating it will require for 1 %. There isn't an exact known graphs about them.
-45.25 rating = 1% chance to parry.
- Parry just like Dodge suffers from Diminishin returns.
- Parried attacks also means that you wount take DMG for it.
-Parried attacks reduces your swing timer (also known as Parry Hasting)
Block RatingOriginally Posted by wowwiki.com
- 16.29 block rating = +1% chance to block.
- This does not suffer from diminishing returns.
- Block is far "cheaper" than dodge or parry or even defense per point of avoidance; however, blocking only absorbs an amount of damage equal to your block value.
- 32.79 hit rating = +1% chance to hit with melee or ranged attacks (-1% chance to miss).
- For our purposes, this applies to melee swings (white damage), Avenger's Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of Righteousness, Hammer of Wrath, and Judgements.
Against a raid boss, melee and ranged attacks have a base 8% chance to miss (this is changed from 9% in TBC), so 263 hit rating is required to eliminate all melee misses if there are no other bonuses to hit.
- Draenei have a racial aura that gives +1% to hit. This reduces the requirement for melee hit-capping to 230 hit rating if you're a draenei or have one in your group. (This is group-only buff, not a raidwide buff.)
It is not a must to be Hit Caped as a Tank, Hit should only be considered if your need it for specific Fights, or if your lacking threat. Also have in mind that Spell Hit tables scale differently. The only abilities that require spell hit are our Taunts and Exorcism.
- 8.10 expertise rating = +1 expertise (Same as defence you have two seperate things)
- 1 Expertise = 0.25 % reduce chance to Dodge and Parry for your attacks
- 32.79 expertise rating = -1% dodge and -1% parry for your attacks.
The effective exepertise cap is 26 for Dodges but that realy doesnt concern you that much. The thing that concerns you is the Parry since you are aways attacking from the front and thus making your attacks to parry. When a boss parries an attack his Swing Timer gets reduced by 40% (as mentioned above) thus making the boss hit you harder. Most of the bosses have between 11% and 15 % which means that you need something like 56 Expertise and that ammount is nearly impossible to get. My advice is to gear for Avoidance and take as much Expertise as you can get your hands on but dont aim straighly for that stat.
Although this is not a Rating I would like to mention that this is a Strong Mitingation stats because every point of BV causes your blocks to avoid another extra point of DMG also BV increases the DMG of your ShR and thus increasing your Threat.