[PVP] Restoration Shaman Guide for
Iam playing resto shamans for quite a while and after watching some guys having troubles with the decision which gear / gem / stat they should take i decided to write some small but hopefully helpful guide for restoration shamans in 4.3.4.
A elemental guide will follow on request(pm).
Table of contents:
1.Talents and glyphs
supplement on request:
1. Talents and glyphs
[IMG] kostenlose bilder[/IMG]
These are MY talents. Some points are optional, some are must haves.
Talents you could drop:
- Ancestral Resolve: I really love it, some dont like it. Your choice.
- Totemic Focus: Its the duration i like. Counts for Mana Tide as well as for Spirit Link totem. So basically this spells empowers your mana regeneration and the amount healed by Spirit Link.
- Blessing of the Eternals: Nothing you really need, its optional.
Talents you could use:
- Totemic Reach: Increases the range of your totems.
- Soothing Rains: Empowers Healing Stream Totem and Healing Rain. Thats a pretty controversial talent, useless in arena, pretty ok in battlegrounds.
- Focused Insight: Empowers heals after using any shock spell, depends on your playstyle.
- Acuity: Increases your crit chance. I have seen people using it, i dont recommend using it.
- Earth Shield: Increases amount healed by Earth Shield. Especially in arena and duels a really good friend.
- Water Shield: Increases passive mana regeneration of your Water Shield. Youll need it...
- Riptide: Increases Duration of Riptide by 40%. Very nice in bgs and pretty useful in arena.
- Stoneclaw Totem: Places a Shield on you. Must have glyph.
- Hex: Reduces the cooldown of Hex by 10s. Highly recommended especially in arena.
- Healing Wave: When healing someone with healing wave your heal yourself for 20% of the amount you healed your target.
- Ghost Wolf: Increases movement speed in Ghost Wolf.
- Healing Stream Totem: Increases your fire, frost and nature resistance by 195.
I recommend using Water walking but its up to you which minor glyphs you use.
2. Gear setup
Main set: 4/5 restoration + ele legs
Off set: Spirit gear + hit ring
Trinkets: Medallion + either: Emblem of Tenacity (resilience + hp on use), Alchimist Stone (int + haste + increased effect of potions), Core of Ripeness (int + spirit on use - combine it with Mana tide totem and you will have a nice mana burst. In my opinion way better then darkmoon card), darkmoon card) , darkmoon card tsunami (int + spirit), Tear of Blood (int + spirit on proc)
Iam using Core of Ripeness in arena, Alchimist Stone/ Emblem of Tenacity in battlegrounds.
I ignore spell pen because i never had a "resist" on Hex or anything else and iam not sure about it on molten.
hit cap > mastery > crit > haste
For those who wonder "why should i roll hit, iam healer?!". You are forced to use offensive abilities like Hex, Wind Shear or Frost Shock as well as heals and you dont want to miss with a 45s cd cc in arena.
Blue: int + spirit
Meta: int + max mana
In case you think you got enough resilience you can put int gems in prismatic but i recommend using resilience.
There are 2 ways of reforging your restoration shaman:
1. max mastery:
- spirit to hit
- haste / crit to mastery
2. less loss of spirit
-haste / crit to hit until you are at cap (4%), then haste / crit to mastery
Iam using the 1. way but you loose like 360 spirit using this way.
Pretty simple: go for main stats! So basically everything that grants resilience, int or mastery is good. On boots iam using 50Hit rating but you could drop even more spirit to get cap if you like. Up to you.
Focus and mouseover cc macros are really nice for bgs and even better for arena. I cant play without them and I highly recommend them.
Creating your Focus Target:
Using a spell on your focus or mouseover target:
/cast [mod:alt, target=focus,harm] insert spell name
/cast [target=mouseover,harm] insert spell name; [target=target] insert spell name
How does this Macro work?: By pressing the mod key (alt in this case, change it if you want to) you will use the spell on your focus target. If you dont press the mod key the macro will check your mouseover target (mouseover a enemy player = your mouseover target) in case its a enemy you will cast the spell on him. In case you dont press the mod key and your target is no enemy this macro will cast the spell on your normal target)
This kind of macro works nice with spells like Hex, Wind Shear, Purge or Frost Shock.
For your Nature??s Swiftness ability you should aim max spellpower so i made this macro:
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/cast Blood Fury(Racial)
By pressing it (more then one time in this case) i use Swiftness + sp racial + Lifeblood.
Visit Curse.com if you want to get one of the addons listed below. Iam using way more addon then ill list here. These are highly recommend:
- Gladius: Must have for arena. Replaces the Blizzard arena Frames with better ones that show several useful information.
- Juked: Tracks enemies cooldowns. Only way to actually use fake casting in the right manner.
- Omni cc: Replaces Blizzard Cooldown animation with the certain time.
- Quartz: Replaces Blizzard cast bars. You are able to configure and move cast bars. A must have.
- Tidy Plates: Replaces Blizzard name plates. You are able to configure this addon in a way to make it track cc used on anyone and show it on their nameplates. Pretty useful. I added like 80 auras to track.
- xperl: Replaces Blizzard party, arena, raid, player, target and focus frames. Heal bot or other party frame addons could do the job as well but I love xperl.
9. Fake casts
Fake casts are used to waste the interrupt cds of your enemy. With Juked you are able to track the interrupt cds of your enemy and with /stopcast you can interrupt your own casts. Simply start casting and interrupt it and hope your enemy wastes his interrupt by using it when you already stopped casting. This is highly recommend versus every opponent. When your enemies interrupt cds are on cooldown you can cast without being silenced. Practice it with a friend. ;)
10. Healing System
I have been asked to add this section, so there we go.
Ill start explaining the basic spell:
Riptide: Heal over time, increases amount healed by Chain Heal on that target, triggers Tidal Waves. Low mana cost, pretty nice heal.
Healing Wave: Very low mana cost, small heal.
Greater Healing Wave: Very high mana cost, biggest heal you got.
Healing Surge: Average mana cost, average heal.
Chain Heal: Average mana cost, multi target heal.
Healing Rain: Very high mana cost, heals everyone in a certain area.
Earth Shield: Average mana cost, average heal (heals the target when taking damage). Reduces cast time / channeling time lost by taking damage. Increases amount healed on that target (talent: Nature??s Blessing).
Cleanse Spirit: Removes a curse or harmful magic effect from a friendly target. Heals for like 6k when removing a cure / magic effect (talent: Cleansing Waters)
Spirit Link Totem: Redistributes health of every one in range, such that every player ends up with same percentage of health. Reduces damage taken by 10%.
Healing Stream Totem: Heals partymember in range.
Unleash Elements: Low mana cost, low heal. Increases the amount healed by your next healing spell.
So, how to heal proper? In arena and in battlegrounds you should look for the target that takes most damage and Earth Shield it. Riptide everyone that takes damage, the hot is nice and by using Riptide you make sure you have Tidal Waves up.
You should try to avoid overhealing, because its a waste of mana you dont have. Therefore you have to know the amount your Healing Wave, Greater Healing Wave and Healing Surge are able to heal. Of curse the amount healed depends on your spellpower so simply try it.
How to handle Unleash Elements? Depends on your situation. This spells works pretty nice with Greater Healing Wave, so if someone is about to die a Greater Healing Wave with Unleash Elements buff can rescue him. In case you cant cast that much because you have to run or worry about interrupts you simply use Unleash Elements before a Riptide.
Chain Heal, yes or no? Chain Heal makes no sense in most battlegrounds since there are oder healers that are able to heal the group way better and faster. Second reason is the cast time (2.5s) and the pretty poor amount healed on first targets. So if you have to keep someone alive that got focused you wont do well using Chain Heal.
I sometimes use Chain Heal in Altarec Valley but nowhere else.
Healing Rain, yes or no? Waste of mana, nothing more to say about this spell.
Spirit Link, how to use it in best way? With a Spirit Link Totem up its almost impossible to die for people in range unless everyone got very low health. This totem is able to one shot people to almost max hp. (once my Spirit Link ticked for 143k) You can rescue yourself or someone else but keep in mind people with more health will loose it.
Healing Stream vs. Mana Spring. Depends on your mana and your group. When you are with your party Healing Stream can heal like mad but when you??re alone its almost useless. Decide on your own.
11. Interface setup
This is the way my interface looks, a suggestion nothing more.
1. xperl - Myself
2. xperl - My target
3. xperl - My targets target
4. xperl - Raid frames, displays health deficit and debuffs that are dispellable
5. Quartz - Cast bar of my target
6. Quartz - Cast bar of myself
7. Weak Auras - Runes to track my auras like Water Shield or Tidal Waves
8. ice hud - Health bar of myself and my target, mana bar of myself and my target
9. tidy name plates - name plate and healthbar of players around me. Configures to track cc??s. (I added 80 auras to track)
10.ice hud - Cooldown bars for totems and other abilities
11.ice hud - cc bar for my focus target
12.xperl - my focus target
13.recount - tracks healing done, configured to be almost invisible
14.ice hud - my global Cooldown
15.Juked - prio bar, tracks enemys interrupt cooldowns
16.juked - main bar, tracks enemies cooldowns
17.bartender - action bar replacement
18.quartz - cast bar of my focus target (missing because focus is in hex)
List for auras to track with tidy name plates can be download here http://www.file-upload.net/download-7901332/cc.txt.html configure it to track specific auras and paste the list you downloaded.
Suggestions or questions are welcome (pm, ill maybe add a chapter).
Update regarding s11 gear and new trinkets coming soon.