PVP elemental shaman 4.3.4
I have been asked to write a elemental shaman guide as well, so here we go.
Table of contents:
1. Talents and glyphs
2. Gear setup
1. Talents and glyphs
There are many different talent builds for elemental shamans. These are MY talents, made for 2vs2 with a retribution paladin. Some points are optional, some are must haves.
Talents you could drop:
- Elemental Warding: Reduces magic damage taken.
- Acuity: Increases crit chance.
- Elemental Precision: Grants spell hit rating equal to 100% of your spirit. When using this talent you HAVE TO drop ALL your hit rating items and replace them with spirit items. Spirit is your hit rating now. By rolling this talent you increase your mana regeneration. You should choose this when you have to off heal in arena.
- Earthquake: AOE damage + 10% chance to stun. Only useful in duels and in arena when playing with a damage dealer. Pretty useful to detect stealthers and the stun is useful as well.
- Ancestral Resolve: Reduces damage taken while casting.
Talents you could use:
- Convection: Reduces mana cost of your damaging spells. Not recommend when using Elemental Precision.
- Feedback: Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning reduce the cooldown of Elemental Mastery. Not recommend for 2s burst teams.
- Totemic Reach: Increases the range of your totems.
- Spark of Life: Increases healing done and healing received.
How to decide which talents you should drop and which you should use?
Your talent build depends on what you want to do and on your gear. So its up to you if you read this you will be able to choose your talents.
Lava Burst: Lava Burst deals 10% more damage.
Unleashed Lightning: Lightning Bolt is castable while moving.
Flame Shock: Increases duration of Flame Shock by 50%.
Hex: Reduces cooldown of Hex by 10s.
Stoneclaw Totem: Your Stoneclaw Totem also places a shield on yourself.
Thunder: Reduces the cooldown of Thunderstorm by 10s.
Up to you, you dosnt matter at all.
2. Gear setup
Main set: 4/5 ele + resto hands
Off set: spell penetration cloak + haste off set. Spirit / hit ring and offset items in case you are not at 4% hit rating.
Trinket: Medallion + either Badge of Dominance, Darkmoon Card Vulcano, Soul Casket or anything that provides haste / mastery as main stat and spellpower / int on proc.
Hit cap > Spell pen (since iam not sure about it on molten i suggest only the cloak with spell pen.) > haste > mastery > crit
This is the setup that works best for duels and arena.
This is a quote, a forum user was so nice to remind me explaining why you should go for haste:
-mastery is a random chance while haste is always beneficial.
-You're vulnerable to interrupts/los with longer casts.
-More flame shock ticks means more lava surge procs.
-Not only do you do damage faster but you heal faster as well.
Blue: Int + Stam oder int + hit / spirit or even just hit / spirit in case you need hit rating.
Yellow: Int + haste
Meta: int + increased critical effect
Iam pretty sure you get hit cap without spirit/ hit reforges so, anyways i did. So iam reforging like this:
Spirit/hit to haste ONLY when you have too much hit rating.
Mastery / crit to haste.
Go for what ever provides int or haste.
Focus and mouseover cc macros are really nice for bgs and even better for arena. I cant play without them and I highly recommend them.
Creating your Focus Target:
Using a spell on your focus or mouseover target:
/cast [mod:alt, target=focus,harm] insert spell name
/cast [target=mouseover,harm] insert spell name; [target=target] insert spell name
How does this Macro work?: By pressing the mod key (alt in this case, change it if you want to) you will use the spell on your focus target. If you dont press the mod key the macro will check your mouseover target (mouseover a enemy player = your mouseover target) in case its a enemy you will cast the spell on him. In case you dont press the mod key and your target is no enemy this macro will cast the spell on your normal target)
This kind of macro works nice with spells like Hex, Wind Shear, Purge or Frost Shock.
For your Elemental Mastery you should aim for max. spellpower. Put Elemental Mastery and ALL your spellpower cooldowns in a macro and have fun.
Visit Curse.com if you want to get one of the addons listed below. Iam using way more addon then ill list here. These are highly recommend:
- Gladius: Must have for arena. Replaces the Blizzard arena Frames with better ones that show several useful information.
- Juked: Tracks enemies cooldowns. Only way to actually use fake casting in the right manner.
- Omni cc: Replaces Blizzard Cooldown animation with the certain time.
- Quartz: Replaces Blizzard cast bars. You are able to configure and move cast bars. A must have.
- Tidy Plates: Replaces Blizzard name plates. You are able to configure this addon in a way to make it track cc used on anyone and show it on their nameplates. Pretty useful. I added like 80 auras to track.
- xperl: Replaces Blizzard party, arena, raid, player, target and focus frames. Heal bot or other party frame addons could do the job as well but I love xperl.
- Weak Aruas: Enables you to create Aura warnings. You can make it place a warning on your screen when your Lightning Shield stacked to 9.
First of all ill explain your basic spells:
Thunderstorm: Deals low damage, knocks back enemies and slows them.
Lightning Bolt: Medium damage, castable while moving. Chance to gather Lightning Shield stacks.
Chain Lightning: Bit less Damage then Lightning Bolt, not castable while moving. Deals damage on max 3 targets. Chance to gather Lightning Shield stack which each hit.
Flame Shock: A dot that should be up ALL the time. You will gain 90% spell haste when someone dispells it. Dont replace it while you have the 90% spell haste, spam Lightning Bolt / Lava Burst and a Hex at the end of the buff.
Lava Burst: High damage, 100% crit chance when Flame Shock is up.
Frost Shock: Low damage, slows the enemy.
Earth Shock: Low damage, reduces attack speed. This spell triggers Fulmination so we use it with 9 Lightning Shield stacks.
Unleash Elements: Low damage, increases damage of your next fire spell. Use it before casting Lava Burst.
Searing Totem: Low damage, grants spellpower (talent: Totemic Wrath). On molten pretty controversial because it attacks ANYTHING. So it might interrupt ccs like Polymorph.
Magma Totem: Low AOE dmg, grants spellpower (talent: Totemic Wrath). Use it when you dont want Searing Totem to interrupt ccs.
Earthbind Totem: Roots enemies. Rooted enemies wont get knocked back by Thunderstorm.
Earthquake: Low damage, chance to stun enemies that stay in it. Skill it if you like it, its up to you. I like it for burst combos in 2s and duels.
The question is, how are Elemental Shamans able to pull max burst? Pretty simple: First of all you put your Flame Shock on your target, Unleash Elements and cast Lava Burst. When Lava Burst is on cooldown you spam Lightning Bolt / Chain Lightning till you have 9 stacks. Use Unleash Elements and make sure you use ALL of your int / spellpower cds, then use Elemental Mastery. Unleash a instant Lava Burst and a Earth Shock to trigger Fulmination and consume your Lightning Shield stacks. For even higher Fulmination crits you can wait for you Lava Burst to actually crit the target. Youll gain 10% more dmg (Talent:Elemental Oath) with you next 2 spells. While "waiting" either cast Chain Lightning / Lightning Bolt or simply wait (recommend when you target is very close to you).
Feel free to submit questions or suggestions.RoationsRoations