1. incredibly new to the warlock life. what spec should i play for PvE and for PvP?

just coming back and it's been a very long while since i've played. i've never played a warlock before, so just wanted to try something new. in MOP im wondering what spec is better for PvE and for PvP. also wondering how warlocks are doing in both cases. Are they considered pretty strong/moderate/weak in Dungeons/raids? Are they worth playing in PvP whether it be BGs or Arena? (i just don't want to go in and find out that I'll get dogged on due to being an inferior class in this patch or whatnot) For arenas 2v2/3v3, what other classes do warlocks synergize really well with?

thanks in advance

2. PvP: Both Destruction and Affliction works well (Affliction scales alot with gear, so start out with Destruction)
    In general, both BGs and Arenas, both specs are highly desired because of Destruction's burst and Affliction's dispel protection and control.
    Common arena composition with destruction would be other high bursty classes especially in 2v2s. In 3v3s Affliction shines much better than Destruction (in my opinion) because of how much AoE damage you can unleash with your procs up.

If you want to look at specific comps, check the blizzard forums as I believe most of the comps that work on blizzard can also work here.

PvE: Destruction is currently doing the most dps (around 90-110k on dummies self-buffed with around ilvl500). Raid wise, the buffs provided is decent for the raid, especially for casters, and if you do not have a class that can buff Curse of Elements, Warlocks are also highly desired. Affliction and Demonology is suffering some major bugs to keep them at par with Destruction (doing much lower dps with Affliction).

MoP is the expansion where Warlocks shine the most.