eber

[GUIDE] Warlock F.A.Q. - 3.3.5a

First of all, this is NOT a guide by definition. This is just a list of information that gets asked for a lot. I won't cover topics that removes a player's need to think; builds, rotations, and gear. These topics are frequently changing and changes to the flavor of the player. Plus I like people to think for themselves.

I will be covering recommended stat priorities since that is a difficult topic to research and is helpful starting point for people deciding on gear and such. There are in-game dummies for testing builds and rotations.

Pet quests have been added since people are having too many issues with them.

Helpful links
    Click Here or Scroll down for Minion quests
    Click Here for Inferno and Ritual Doom guides.
    bloodipeich put together some talent builds

Q: Which race is best?
    A:

• PvP
      • Ally: Human and gnome are about even, but I think the human racial is slightly better than gnome.
      • Horde: Depends on the situation, but undead's WotF seems to be a favorite. Orc can offer stun reduction and Belf has a silence.
    • PvE
      • Ally: Humans, have Human Spirit and, thanks to fel armor, this gives sp. Gnome has Expansive Mind which is worth about .3-.4% crit and some mana. Afflocks and demo locks would benefit the most from Human Spirit, gaining anywhere between 3-10sp. Destro on the other hand, could get anywhere between 1-3sp and the crit from Expansive Mind might be closer to .5%.
      • Horde: Orc, Blood Fury and Command both can increase dps. Belf and undead have no dps increasing racials.

Q: Which Spec/tree is best? What are differences?
    A:
    There isn't a best spec, there is only what spec fits you best. All 3 are great specs, only skill and a few bugs make the difference.
    • Affliction
      • Relies on Dots and Drains to deal damage and has several self healing capabilities. Popular for leveling and PvP, but also very good for raiding. Little to no reliance on minions for dps. Most mana efficient caster (imo, but I'm biased).

• Demonology
      • Relies on CDs and pets for dps (directly and indirectly). Hardest of the 3 specs to be good at, but is a beastly spec when controlled by a skilled user. Not a popular spec (on molten) because of its difficulty; mostly used for leveling and then abandoned.

• Destruction
      • Relies direct damage spells for dps. Very limited survivability; a "kill them before they kill you" style. Reliance on minion depends on the build. Least unique (fire mage with an imp), but also the most easy and popular spec to play.

Q: Which stats do i need?
    A:
    The stats values vary a bit with all 3 specs and what you're doing.
    • Leveling
      • SP > Sta > Spirit (ONLY if glyphed) > hit > haste (Aff: only if glyphed) > crit
    • PVP
      • Hit (4-6%) > Spell Pen (130) > Resilience > SP > Haste > Sta > Crit > Int
    • Raid
      • Affliction - Hit (till capped) > Haste ≥ SP > Spirit (pre-icc) ≥ Crit > Spirit (icc geared)
      • Demonology - Hit (till capped) > SP > Haste > Spirit > Crit
      • Destruction - Hit (till capped) > SP > haste ≥ crit > spirit

Q: What is the hit cap?
    A:
    Is different for dungeons and raids. PvP'ers typically aim for the dungeon cap.
    • Raid - Chance to miss is 83% on bosses so 17% is the hard cap for ALL casters, without talents or racials you need 446 hit rating to reach it.
    • Dungeon - Chance to miss is 94% so 6% is the hard cap for all casters and takes 158 rating without talents.

Q: What weapons can i use?
    A:

• Locks can use staffs, daggers, "held in offhand" items, and wands by default. They can also train 1h swords.

Q: Staff vs 1hand+offhand?
    A:

• Here's the breakdown: Assuming the same item level, staffs typically have higher base stats (stam, int, etc) while daggers/swords+oh have higher combat stats (SP, crit, hit, etc). In other words, staffs have better survivability for PvP and 1h+oh provide better dps for raids.
    • The *only* exception is donating for the heroic LK staff, I've done the math comparing Archus(H) vs Bloodsurge(H) (I included fel armor (untalented), sp enchants, and non-JC sp gems, also i converted int to crit)
      • Archus = 1085sp, 141 haste, 1.13% crit
      • Bloodsurge = 979sp, 71 haste, 1.7% crit
      • In order to just balance out the sp difference you'd need an offhand with 106sp. Currently, there are only 2 NON-DONOR offhands that matches the sp is Shadow Silk Spindle even though you'd lose only 10 haste and Sundial of Eternal Dusk which gives you 18 more sp from spirit at the loss of 10 haste.
      • TL DR - 1h+oh is still better, the Heroic LK staff is just cheaper

Q: Which glyphs should i use?
    A:
    For PvP there is too many options so I'm not going to list all of them. Minor glyphs offer no dps so I'm not going to go through those either.

Q: What are some good Lock addons?
    A:

• General addons can be found here.
    • Either Necrosis or LunarSphere are good, but they work better at later levels (like 60+). Necrosis is lock only, but LunarSphere can work for any class. Both are able to track shards.
      • An addon to track soul shards is very recommended and there are tons to choose from. I prefer Lunar, addons like ammofu are also able to track em.
    • Dotimer should be a must if you are affliction, not bad for demo/destro as well.
    • ForteXorcist is a popular raid addon. Includes a DoT tracker and CD timer.
    • Tinycasterstats is handy to have.
    • MikScrollingbattletext is good, even just for the alerts. Power Auras Classic and NeedToKnow are popular alternatives.
    • AKSShardMax is a nice addon to have while leveling; you can set it to keep a minimum amount of shards and delete the extras so your bags don't get cluttered.
    • Quartz and Castbars are good castbar replacements.

"Bugs"
    I refuse to list every bug or even mention rumored bugs. I'm just adding frequently asked about bugs with quick solutions or frequent bugs that aren't really bugs. All REAL bugs needs to be posted in the bug tracker or discussed in another thread.

Q: "OMG WHERE ARE MY PETS SPELLS?!?"
    A:

• Open your spell book, click on the demon tab (assuming your pet is out, if not get it out), drag spells to the minion's spell bar.

Q: "But the bar itself is gone, what do i do?"
    A:

• This is caused from reloading or sometimes from porting/being summoned. If you are outside just mount up and unmount. If indoors or in an instance you'll have to resummon it. If you need to resummon, a nice trick to save a shard is: type /petstay and walk away till it despawns.

Q: "Why won't my pet attack sometimes, it moves around but it can't attack."
    A:

• There is a bug where your pet doesn't share your LoS. So it's possible that this is the issue. Move to a spot where you're sure your pet can see the target, if that doesn't fix it then idk.

Q: "My <bleep>ing pet stops attacking/following the target when I fear it."
    A:

• It's supposed to, fear is dispelled after % of damage. If your pet is attacking, your fear is dispelled sooner, if your pet isn't attacking it has no reason to keep following. Just click pet attack or recast your pet's spell for it to start attacking again.

Q: "How come drain soul doesn't give me a shard when i kill a mob?"
    A:

• Assuming you didn't cast it at the last split second, you probably didn't kill a target that gives xp or honor. You must be killing a target no lower than 8 levels below you .

Q: "How is corruption bugged?"
    A:

• By itself, its not that bugged. However, its mechanic with everlasting affliction and pandemic is bugged. With this mechanic, in retail, certain stats are checked and rechecked in certain places.
      • Crit and dmg bonuses should be checked only when corruption is cast and should not be rechecked when refreshed or per tick. Haste is supposed to be checked when cast and again when refreshed.
      • On Molten, haste is only being checked when cast, while crit and dmg bonuses are being rechecked either with every tick or when refreshed. This is a disadvantage in PvE but can be a huge advantage in PvP.

Helpful links (again)
    Click Here or Scroll down for Minion quests
    bloodipeich put together some talent builds

Lemme know if I f'ed something up. Thanks to jsf for the demonology info.

jsf316
    For stat weights with demonology its the same with affliction, reason being is that you would want to boost up the spellpower of Fel Armor via spirit, and glyphed with life-tap glyph you would end up with alot of spell power especially with the sp proc from your demon.

For glyphs for demo its life tap, quick decay, and while EJ says glyph of felguard would be the next best glyph after the two aforementioned ones, we know how screwed pet scaling is for locks so I would go with glyph of Metamorphosis for longer Meta uptime.

For addons if you want something more visual for procs (say for your eradication, molten core procs, etc) I highly suggest Power Auras Classic, very customizable and you get a visual, some kind of flashing symbol or whatever around your character for a proc. It's what Blizzard based their visual proc system in Cataclysm.

eber
    Lock minion quests. I, PERSONALLY, did all 5 chains (on Sargeras for speed). While there are a couple bugs, all 5 races can complete the chains without GM assistance. I added notes regarding travel and I have no idea what goes on on Warsong, otherwise all the servers should be the same.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT MOST OF THESE QUESTS WILL NOT START OR INVOLVE THE LOCK TRAINERS. So do not be surprised if you can not find a quest at a trainer.

Imp - Minimum level req: 1
    This is the only pet that can be bought at any trainer, for 95c, or you can get one for free + some xp with the following quests.
    Also all of the imp quests begin in your race's starting area.

• Human
      • Talk to Drusilla La Salle, the lock trainer, she'll give you a quest to steal a book.
      • Go across the river and find the book near a tent.
    • Gnome
      • Talk to Alamar Grimm, the lock trainer in Anvilmar.
      • He'll want you to get 3 troll feathers from a cave in the south.
    • Orc
      • Speak to the lock trainer deep in the cave at starting area. He'll send you to Ruzan, who's outside the cave.
      • Ruzan wants the heads of some imp-like mobs found in a cave in the north.
    • Undead
      • Talk to Venya Marthand, in the chapel in Deathknell, to get the quest.
      • Get her 3 skulls and turn in for your free imp.
    • Blood Elf
      • Talk to Teli'Larien the trainer, to get the quest.
      • Kill the wraiths in the south and bring him 4 Wraith Essences and 1 Tainted Wraith Essence for a free imp.

Voidwalker - Minimum level req: 10

• Human - Starts in Goldshire @ Remen Marcot. Remen can be found in the cellar of the building with the innkeeper.
      • Gakin's Summons - Talk to Gakin in Stormwind. You'll find him near the lock trainers in SW.
      • Surena Caledon - Retrieve Surena's Choker. Find Surena in a house at a farm in southeast Elwynn Forest (70,80).
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned voidwalker. Go down the steps to find the rune. Turn in for your new pet.

• Gnome - Begins in Ironforge @ Lago Blackwrench. He is near the trainers but not in the building with them.
      • The Slaughtered Lamb - Talk to Gakin in Stormwind. You'll find him near the lock trainers in SW.
      • Surena Caledon - Retrieve Surena's Choker. Find Surena in a house at a farm in southeast Elwynn Forest (70,80).
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned voidwalker. Go down the steps to find the rune. Turn in for your new pet.

• Orc - Begins in Razor Hill @ Ophek. He's behind the big building (54,41).
      • Gan'rul Summons - Go to Gan'rul Bloodeye in Org, near the lock trainers in the Cleft of Shadows.
      • Creature of the Void - Retrieve the Tablet of Verga. Head out the front Org gate and turn left (east) and head to skull Rock (cave near the beach). Tablet is in a chest in west side of the cave, near the water. After you get the tablet return to Gan'rul.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned Voidwalker. Head south of Gan'rul, to a tent near the Ragefire Chasm entrance. Turn quest into Gan'rul for your new pet.

• Undead - Starts in Brill @ Ageron Kargal. He's in the building with the innkeeper, upstairs.
      • Halgar's Summons - Talk to Carendin Halgar in UC, n the magic quarter near the lock trainers.
      • Creature of the Void - Get Egalin's Grimoire. In a chest in a tower west of the UC entrance (in front of the back entrance/exit to UC). Return to Carendin.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned voidwalker. Rune is behind Carendin, can't miss it.

• Blood Elf - Starts in Undercity @ Carendin Halgar. He in the magic quarter near the lock trainers.
      • Eber's recommendation There is a teleporter in northern most building (with mage/priest trainers), take this to get to UC (well outside of UC) and use the one there to get back to SM later.
      • Return to Talionia - Talk to Talionia in SM. Lock trainers are in the last building on the right in Murder Row.
      • The Stone - Get a void stone from the Dead Scar. You'll find it on the ground in northern Ghostlands, obviously in the Dead Scar (43,15).
      • The Rune of Summoning - Kill a summoned voidwalker. The rune is in a building close to the river at Goldenmist Village (26,14). You'll have to kill several mobs that can be difficult at level 10, I'd recommend leveling up a bit or bringing a friend. Turn in to Talionia for your new pet.

Succubus - Minimum level req: 20

• Human - Chain semi bugged
      • Should start @ Gakin with Devourer of Souls, instead you have to do the gnome's prequest @ Lago. So look below and follow the Gnome chain.

• Gnome - Begins in IF @ Lago Blackwrench
      • Gakin's Summons - Talk to Gakin in Stormwind.
        • Eber's recommendation I wouldn't recommended either of the following quests at level 20, not solo at least. Level up or get a friend to help. Definitely don't attempt without a mount.
      • Devourer of Souls - Talk to Takar in The Barrens. He's by a little tent, east of Camp Taurajo (49,57).
        • Eber's recommendation Since you are starting in stormwind, I recommend taking boat from SW to Auberdine, open the FP, then run to Astranaar in Ashenvale.
        • Once in Astranaar, open the FP, set hearth to here (optional), then continue into the Barrens.
      • Heartswood - Take a piece of the Heartswood to Gakin. Heartswood is in western Ashenvale, just northeast of Maestra's Post (31.31).
        • If you set your hearth like i suggested, hearth to Astranaar. If you didn't set hearth but did open the FP, you can fly from the Rachet, otherwise.. enjoy the walk.
        • People have had trouble looting the tree, so refer this screenshot to see where I stood. Make sure you get right up next to the tree, don't be afraid of being a tree-hugger, tree-huggers get to finish the quest :P.
        • Take boat from Auberdine to Stormwind.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned Succubus. Go down the steps to find the rune. Turn in for your new pet and soul bag.

• Orc - Begins in Org @ Gan'rul.
      • Devourer of Souls - Speak with Cazul, right outside the tent.
      • Blind Cazul - Speak with Zankaja. Head southwest up the ramp and follow the path south. Zankaja is in a building just northwest of the flightpath (37,59). Open the FP in Org if you haven't already.
      • News of Dogran - Speak with Gazrog. He's in the crossroads, right outside the Inn. Do yourself a favor and set your hearth to the inn here and open the FP if you haven't already.
      • News of Dogran (pt 2)- Speak with Ken'zigla. He's at the Malaka'jin in Stonetalon Mountains.
        • For those that have never been there, the Malaka'jin may be a tad tricky to find, the entrance is easy to pass.
        • Head west out of the crossroads. When you enter Stonetalon, don't follow the road north. Stay close to the mountain ridge on the south part of the map, you'll find another path that runs into the mountains and it'll dump you right into the camp.
      • Ken'zigla's Draught - Bring Draught to Grunt Logmar at Camp Taurajo. Hearth back to the crossroads (assuming you followed my advice in quest 3) and head south to Camp Taurajo. Logmar is near the Flight Master.
      • Dogran's Captivity - Take Draught to Dogran. Dogran is being help captive by some quillboars north of Camp Taurajo (43,47).
        • Note: You might find Dogran dead or missing (respawning), the mobs here like to kill him... a lot.
      • Love's Gift - Take the pendant to back to Gan'rul.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned Succubus. Head south of Gan'rul, to a tent near the Ragefire Chasm entrance. Turn quest into Gan'rul for your new pet and a shard bag.

• Undead - Chain semi bugged
      • Should start @ Carendin with Devourer of Souls, instead you have to do the Belf's prequest @ Alamma. So look below and follow the Belf chain.

• Blood Elf - Starts in Silvermoon City @ Alamma.
      • Carendin Summons - Talk to Carendin in UC.
      • Devourer of Souls - Talk to Godrick Farsan. He's in the building just to the north of Carendin, standing next to the mage trainers (traitor!).
      • Hearts of the Pure - Kill Dalin and Comar and bring their hearts to Carendin.
        • Eber's recommendation Open the Tarren Mill flight path in Hillsbrad Foothills AND Hammerfall in Arathi Highlands while doing this part of the quest. You will save a lot of travel time during the felhunter quest chain.
        • Dalin is in southern Silverpine forest, next to the Greymane Wall.
        • Comar is in northern Wetlands, near Dun Modr.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned Succubus. Rune is right behind Carendin, can't miss it. Turn quest in for your new pet and a shard bag.

Felhunter - Minimum level req: 30
    This chain requires a LOT of travel for all races.

Alliance - Quest chain is identical, other than where it starts. So to save space I'm only posting the chain once.
    • Human - Begins in SW @ Gakin. Gnome - Begins in IF @ Lago Blackwrench.
      • Eber's recommendation Gnomes, set hearth to IF before you leave. You'll have to return to IF twice during the chain.Humans, setting your hearth to IF or the Rachet will save you about the same amount of time so up to you.
      • Seeking Strahad - Speak to Strahad Farsan in the Rachet. NW of flight path
      • Tome of Cabal - Speak with Krom Stoutarm in Ironforge. Krom is in the Library in Hall of Explorers.
      • Tome of Cabal pt2 - Get Moldy Tome and Tattered Manuscript. You may have to wait on items to respawn as they are looted often. Return to Krom in IF when finished.
        • Moldy Tome - In Hillsbrad Foothills, south of Azurelode Mine, near some murlocs (27,72).
        • Eber's recommendation On the way, open the Menethil Harbor FP in the wetlands (if you haven't already), you'll be glad you did later.
        • Tattered Manuscript - In Thousand Needles, in a cave northwest of Freewind Post (Cave entrance 44,37).

• Tome of Cabal pt3 - Take tome and 3 rods of channeling to Strahad.
        • Fly to Menethril Harbor and take the road east. The Dragonmaw area is just east of the excavation site. Rods drop from Bonewarders and Shadowwarders.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned felhunter. Stand on the rune in the building behind Strahad. Turn in quest to Strahad for your new pet and a bigger soul box.

Horde - Quest chain is identical, other than where it starts. So to save space I'm only posting the chain once.
    • Orc - Begins in Org @ Gan'rul. Undead - Starts in Undercity @ Carendin. Belf - Bugged, should start in UC. Instead, it starts in Org @ Gan'rul
      • Eber's recommendation Setting your hearth to either UC or Org will save you about the same amount of time, do not set it to the Rachet.
      • Seeking Strahad - Speak to Strahad Farsan in the Rachet. NW of flight path
      • Tome of Cabal - Speak with Jorah in Undercity. Jorah is in the southwest side of the magic quarter; not near the lock trainers.
      • Tome of Cabal pt2 - Get Moldy Tome and Tattered Manuscript. You may have to wait on items to respawn as they are looted often. Return to Jorah in UC when finished.
        • Moldy Tome - In Hillsbrad Foothills, south of Azurelode Mine, near some murlocs (27,72).
        • Eber's recommendation I'd recommend opening the Tarren Mill FP in Hillsbrad and the Hammerfall FP in Arathi (if you haven't already), you'll be glad you did later.
        • Tattered Manuscript - In Thousand Needles, in a cave northwest of Freewind Post (Cave entrance 44,37).

• Tome of Cabal pt3 - Take tome and 3 rods of channeling to Strahad.
        • Go to Arathi Highlands and take the road south into the Wetlands. Stay on the path till it meets up with another path, go a little west till you find a way into the mountains. Rods drop from Bonewarders and Shadowwarders.
      • The Binding - Kill a summoned felhunter. Stand on the rune in the building behind Strahad. Turn in quest to Strahad for your new pet and a bigger soul box.

-------------------------------------------------

I will not add the old mount quest or any other lock only quests. Lemme know if I typoed or something.
    IF YOU THINK A QUEST IS BUGGED, post which quest you are on, why you think it's bugged and also include your race, realm, and level. I will not retest a quest simply because you say "the <pet> quests are bugged." I will insult and laugh at you if you do.

4. A nice video you could add for anyone interested in demonology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieGnHENE7JQ

Also, you should point that demonology stat weight is for personal dps, if you want to raise your raid dps it is hit>sp>spirit>haste.

Since you lack talents and god, they ask for them too often, i made some specs:

Affliction pve 3 spare points for either intensity (yes, pushback is bugged on molten, you may need it) or imp felhunter.

Affliction pvp You can change the 2 points in imp Healthstone for imp health funnel on arenas but there isnt much more room for changes.

Demo pve 3 spare points, i would spend 2 in intensity and the other one in extra hit but its up to you, since demons are not scaling properly i dont find demonic empowerment or imp demon tactics worth them.

Destruction pvp As with the affliction pvp, this cant change much or at all and as the affliction pvp, you can change the 2 points in imp healthstone for imp health funnel

Cant really do a decent destruction pve build, maybe i didnt play destru pve ever. Would use the molten calculator but armory aint working atm :/

Ah, before i forget, thanks for the FAQ and WTB STICKY

eber
    Inferno
    For ALL races.

Method 1: Quest Line - Minimum level 50. The quest line involves a bit of travel, so open the flight paths @ Bloodvenom Post (horde) or Talonbranch Glade (alliance) if you haven't already.
    What Niby Commands - starts at Niby in Felwood, you'll find him and an imp, Impsy, just north of the lake/pond of Bloodvenom Falls.

Flawless Fel Essence - Bring him 3 essences from 3 different areas. Azshara, Jaedenar (Felwood), Dark Portal (blasted lands).
    *Optional* - Pick up Hot and Itchy from Impsy as well. This quest requires 1 felcloth that can drop from the mobs you'll be killing. Easy xp if you are still needing it.
    - Jaedenar is the closest so start there. You need to kill a doomwalker deep in a cave.
    - Azshara is next. Kill any satyr in the area in marked on the screenshot.
    - Dark Portal. Every faction city has a portal to the blasted lands near the mage trainers, take it to port right to the dark portal. Go to the outer rim of the crater and kill a sentry for your last essence.

Kroshius' Infernal Core - Kill Kroshius and take his core
    - Head north of Niby to Kroshius' area. Find the tree in the screenshot, stand between the tree and the root on the side of the hill. Begin summoning. Kill the bastard and take his core.
    - Several people have had trouble with this quest because there is supposed to be remain in the area. Don't look for the remains, just stand anywhere between the tree and the root in the screen shot.

Method 2: Farming in Lower Blackrock Spire - Minimum level: 57, Recommended level: 70+ solo, 65 with help.
    - You're looking for the Grimoire of Inferno, however I've only found 1 mob in this dungeon that drops it (Scarshield Warlock) and it is a bit of work to get to him. However, he's dropped it every time I've killed him. Bring some level 80 help or wait till 80 if you can. Even at level 70 you can avoid aggroing most of the mobs. Sadly it is BoP.
    - Honestly, it's easier just to do the quest but if (for whatever reason) you can't get it to work, then this is an alternative.

Ritual of Doom
    For ALL races.

Method 1: Quest Line - Minimum level 60 Recommended level: 65. Daio is in the northern part of the Tainted Scar in the Blasted Lands.
    The Prison's Bindings - get 15 satyrs' blood from dire maul. Mobs are level 56+ elites
    - You do not HAVE to go into the instance to complete this quest. There are several satyr that spawn outside the instance. However, i found it faster to go in.
    - When you enter the Dire Maul area (outside the instance) you'll come to a hall called Eldreth Row.
    Take the hall east till you reach the end of the hall, a doorway will be on your left, enter the doorway to find a smaller hallway that leads to a back entrance to the instance.
    If you take this entrance, you'll find 5 satyrs right in front of you; kill them, exit, reset, repeat.
    - Return to blasted lands for next quest

The Prison's Casing - Get 5 tears of the Hederine. Level 59+ Elite mobs.
    - Head to Winterspring and travel south to the Dark Whisper Gorge, southern most area of Winterspring. Open the FP at everlook if you haven't already, since your hearth will probably be on CD.
    - Every demon in the area can drop the tears. Get 5 and head back to Blasted Lands.

Suppression - Capture a Doomguard Commander. Level 61+ elite mob.
    - These are all over the area where you get the quest, trick is finding one that isn't near another mob.
    - I did this at level 70 and he still hurts. VW and sacrifice is highly recommended. Save sacrifice till about midway into the capturing process if you can.
    - If you can't find a lonely doomguard, find one with only 1 other demon in the area. Rank 2 banish lasts 30s and the capturing takes 18s. Before you ask, you can't capture a banished doomguard.

Method 2: Farming in Blasted Lands Minimum Level: none. Recommended level: 65+ (bringing help isn't a bad idea either).
    - You'll be farming level 61-62 elites. They have 50k hp and can do quite a bit of damage to a 60-70 lock. You're looking for Grimoire of Doom to drop, has a 1.2-2% chance on wowhead. Sadly it is BoP.

----------------------------------------
    Was going to add this to the other pet quests post, but I don't think there is enough room. Links to this post have been added to the first posts. I meant to add a screen shot of the quest npc in blasted lands but forgot to take it, I'll add it later.
    As always, let me know if I typoed or F-ed something up.

eber
    Inferno
    For ALL races.

Method 1: Quest Line - Minimum level 50. The quest line involves a bit of travel, so open the flight paths @ Bloodvenom Post (horde) or Talonbranch Glade (alliance) if you haven't already.
    What Niby Commands - starts at Niby in Felwood, you'll find him and an imp, Impsy, just north of the lake/pond of Bloodvenom Falls.

Flawless Fel Essence - Bring him 3 essences from 3 different areas. Azshara, Jaedenar (Felwood), Dark Portal (blasted lands).
    *Optional* - Pick up Hot and Itchy from Impsy as well. This quest requires 1 felcloth that can drop from the mobs you'll be killing. Easy xp if you are still needing it.
    - Jaedenar is the closest so start there. You need to kill a doomwalker deep in a cave.
    - Azshara is next. Kill any satyr in the area in marked on the screenshot.
    - Dark Portal. Every faction city has a portal to the blasted lands near the mage trainers, take it to port right to the dark portal. Go to the outer rim of the crater and kill a sentry for your last essence.

Kroshius' Infernal Core - Kill Kroshius and take his core
    - Head north of Niby to Kroshius' area. Find the tree in the screenshot, stand between the tree and the root on the side of the hill. Begin summoning. Kill the bastard and take his core.
    - Several people have had trouble with this quest because there is supposed to be remain in the area. Don't look for the remains, just stand anywhere between the tree and the root in the screen shot.

Method 2: Farming in Lower Blackrock Spire - Minimum level: 57, Recommended level: 70+ solo, 65 with help.
    - You're looking for the Grimoire of Inferno, however I've only found 1 mob in this dungeon that drops it (Scarshield Warlock) and it is a bit of work to get to him. However, he's dropped it every time I've killed him. Bring some level 80 help or wait till 80 if you can. Even at level 70 you can avoid aggroing most of the mobs. Sadly it is BoP.
    - Honestly, it's easier just to do the quest but if (for whatever reason) you can't get it to work, then this is an alternative.

Ritual of Doom
    For ALL races.

Method 1: Quest Line - Minimum level 60 Recommended level: 65. Daio is in the northern part of the Tainted Scar in the Blasted Lands.
    The Prison's Bindings - get 15 satyrs' blood from dire maul. Mobs are level 56+ elites
    - You do not HAVE to go into the instance to complete this quest. There are several satyr that spawn outside the instance. However, i found it faster to go in.
    - When you enter the Dire Maul area (outside the instance) you'll come to a hall called Eldreth Row.
    Take the hall east till you reach the end of the hall, a doorway will be on your left, enter the doorway to find a smaller hallway that leads to a back entrance to the instance.
    If you take this entrance, you'll find 5 satyrs right in front of you; kill them, exit, reset, repeat.
    - Return to blasted lands for next quest

The Prison's Casing - Get 5 tears of the Hederine. Level 59+ Elite mobs.
    - Head to Winterspring and travel south to the Dark Whisper Gorge, southern most area of Winterspring. Open the FP at everlook if you haven't already, since your hearth will probably be on CD.
    - Every demon in the area can drop the tears. Get 5 and head back to Blasted Lands.

Suppression - Capture a Doomguard Commander. Level 61+ elite mob.
    - These are all over the area where you get the quest, trick is finding one that isn't near another mob.
    - I did this at level 70 and he still hurts. VW and sacrifice is highly recommended. Save sacrifice till about midway into the capturing process if you can.
    - If you can't find a lonely doomguard, find one with only 1 other demon in the area. Rank 2 banish lasts 30s and the capturing takes 18s. Before you ask, you can't capture a banished doomguard.

Method 2: Farming in Blasted Lands Minimum Level: none. Recommended level: 65+ (bringing help isn't a bad idea either).
    - You'll be farming level 61-62 elites. They have 50k hp and can do quite a bit of damage to a 60-70 lock. You're looking for Grimoire of Doom to drop, has a 1.2-2% chance on wowhead. Sadly it is BoP.

----------------------------------------
    Was going to add this to the other pet quests post, but I don't think there is enough room. Links to this post have been added to the first posts. I meant to add a screen shot of the quest npc in blasted lands but forgot to take it, I'll add it later.
    As always, let me know if I typoed or F-ed something up.

eber
    Actually it has an advantage bug, it really checkes haste only one but if corruption is reapplied with Drain Soul, Shadow Bolt, Drain Life,Haunt is takes the haste last Corruption haste applied.
    For example Eradication + Bloodlust + Haste potion + trink proc + trink use + a tons of haste, tested by me just it needs some luck so trink will proc with eradication it happend with me and then used potion and other trink also haste on use what I did then just reapplyed mine Corruption when I did this corruption got a 5 sec duration and damage boost was insane when everything finished my haste went down to normal. From now on I reapplied Corruption with all the other spell possible [Shadow Bolt, Drain Life, Drain Soul, Haunt] expect Corruption itself and guess what happend ? Well yes Corruption was all the time with a 5 sec duration and ticked insainly.
    I'm quite aware how it works and as I said it is an advantage for pvp, but more of a disadvantage in pve (when comparing to how it should work). In ICC or similar fights, you have several boss fights where you either have multiple adds or a lot of movement. This makes keeping up a 6 sec corruption very difficult. Compare that to a corruption that rolls a +75% crit over a 8-10sec duration; a lot easier to maintain.
    In pvp, where resil is a facter, a crit rolling corruption isn't much to be excited about. However, 6sec corruption, ticking every second, is a huge advantage.

Ofc tht makes sence espcially on fester /facepalm. But is it important with afflic too? i mean u do spam shadowbolt but idk...

Here is afflic build tht i failed at posting:
    www.GamesTool.net - Talent Calculator for WoW Patch 3.3.5
    Changed improved drain soul cause u hav Lifetap and if ur tank is good ur threat should be fine.

If ur hit capped from gear u can do:
    www.GamesTool.net - Talent Calculator for WoW Patch 3.3.5 or something similar (i dont play mauch afflic anymore)

Just a suggestion.
    Is it important, on retail probably not. However, the best reason to put the points in intensity is because the pet scaling is off, making imp. FH and dark pact less desirable and intensity more desirable. Not to mention, with high haste like an afflock should have, half or more of your fight will be spent casting shadow bolt, so why not. Intensity makes more sense than cataclysm for the exact same reasons you suggested cataclysm.

As for imp. drain soul and life tap, both talents are suggested as optional. This is a great example of why I didn't cover builds to begin with, there are differing opinions on which talents early in the tree are best to take. The difference of both, ultimately, comes down to 400-1000 extra mana per life tap vs 10-20% reduced threat on aff spells. Which is better depends on the lock and the situation. I rotate my life tap enough that i never oom, so the extra mana is useless to me, so i take the -threat.

eber
    <reserved or can be deleted>

eber
    <reserved or can be deleted>

10. May 1, 2011  
    eber
    Ritual of doom and inferno added.
    Races added and posts cleaned up.

11. May 11, 2011  
    Few bugs from me:

1) If target is in los from you (piller hugger in arena for example) and your fellpup is chasing him (so the enemy is not in los for the pet) u cant silence him.Rly annoying...same goes for seductions.

2) When u set pet to "stay" and u cast pet spell the pet will go after the target.This can be fixed easly with a macro like (for example spell lock) /cast spell lock /pet stay -> and when the fell spell locks he wont chase the target :) !!!Dont work with seduction!!!!

3) When your pet chase the target and u fear the target pet stops chasing him...Rly ****ed up

4) U cant set pet to attack if target is in los.

---These are bugs that are confirmed from retail exp---

"Warlock working 99% as intended" ... silly :)

12. May 24, 2011  
    BubbleJungle
    i read a lot of posts about demonology glyphs, and simulcraft says that Life tap + felguard + quick decay glyphs are the best. quick decay glyphs worth little bit more dps then metamorphosis one because it influence a larger part of your dps spells.

13. May 24, 2011  
    jsf316
    i read a lot of posts about demonology glyphs, and simulcraft says that Life tap + felguard + quick decay glyphs are the best. quick decay glyphs worth little bit more dps then metamorphosis one because it influence a larger part of your dps spells.
    Yeah if felguard was scaling correctly it would be fine. But it isn't. Also, when I tested the felguard glyph it actually LOWERED the attack power of my felguard, so they gotta fix that too. In retail what you've read on holds true, but at the moment here in Molten it doesn't.

14. May 24, 2011  
    TechStreme
    There's also bugg with Devour Magic

/cast [target=mouseover,help] Devour Magic
    /cast [target=player] Devour Magic
    /cast [target=mouseover] Devour Magic

This macro should despell curse from your frendly target under mouse pointer (no need to actualy click him). If there's nothing to despell or I dont point frendly target it should despell curse from me. If there's also nothing to despell from me it should despell a buff or other helpfull spell from enemy target.

But in this case it just cast Devour Magic on frendly target or me even if theres nothing to despell.

15. May 24, 2011  
    Thats a problem with all dispells, they count your buffs as things they can dispell so there is no "there is nothing to dispell" message, you dont get your buffs dispelled but it goes into cd.

Its really annoying but will have to wait till they fix all dispells.

123 ... Last