1. May 24, 2016  

Lordaeron Fresh lvl 80

i am about to reach 80 soon on Lord wotlk and i have no idea which gear is my bis as fresh or what shud be my stat priority as hunter. I have around 8000g what should i buy that will most benefit my dps so any1 willing to help me with this :)

2. May 24, 2016  
    Play survival(Pve) with crit items,then when u have about 170 arm penetration + grim toll+range weapon - item level 213+,change to MM.Good luck.
    survival are you sure cause i have never seen anyone play it in wotlk every hunter i see is either bm or mm : /

3. May 24, 2016  
    Well don't post for help if you aren't going to take it

4. May 25, 2016  
    survival are you sure cause i have never seen anyone play it in wotlk every hunter i see is either bm or mm : /
    that's why you should do your research, unlike 95% of the damn server who think they know everything. put in some effort mate. go survival all the way to togc, when you may start considering mm if you get the right level of arp. if you're mechanically **** spec mm earlier, if you're good at min maxing with stats and movement, just stay sv until much later. it's much easier to maximise potential of mm, and much harder to maximise potential on sv, but sv has a higher dps potential if and only if played right, all the way until toc.

EDIT don't even think of bm unless you're leveling, maybe.

5. May 25, 2016  
    that's why you should do your research, unlike 95% of the damn server who think they know everything. put in some effort mate. go survival all the way to togc, when you may start considering mm if you get the right level of arp. if you're mechanically **** spec mm earlier, if you're good at min maxing with stats and movement, just stay sv until much later. it's much easier to maximise potential of mm, and much harder to maximise potential on sv, but sv has a higher dps potential if and only if played right, all the way until toc.

so this current patch favours sv more than mm unless u have enough arp. Sorry i cudn't do research on it as i have only played mm before on sargeras way back when it was a wotlk realm back then sv was a spec that no1 played and every1 was either bm or mm.

6. May 25, 2016  

all the way to softcap arp and grim toll/mjolnir you mean, which should be reached with t8,5/offset BiS gear if i am not mistaken, besides, with t9 gear you are kinda equal at the fights, the gap only comes with t10 again, where MM outscales SV, maybe you should do some research before talking crap :p MM was even better at a lot of fights like thaddius, loatheb, malygos, etc.
    one reason is the mana, cus your manapool is way higher as MM, means u have to switch less to viper. and if u r a fresh hunter asking for help, you might wanna play a lil bit longer, cus as long as you cant control sniper training, which is the biggest deal, playing SV, you might wanna choose a safer option and deal a few less dps. besides, MM only has a rota, means less mistakes, but people will have problems as SV, cus they dont know the prio list, or arent used to it.
    Edited: May 25, 2016

7. May 25, 2016  
    all the way to softcap arp and grim toll/mjolnir you mean, which should be reached with t8,5/offset BiS gear if i am not mistaken, besides, with t9 gear you are kinda equal at the fights, the gap only comes with t10 again, where MM outscales SV, maybe you should do some research before talking crap :p MM was even better at a lot of fights like thaddius, loatheb, malygos, etc.
    one reason is the mana, cus your manapool is way higher as MM, means u have to switch less to viper. and if u r a fresh hunter asking for help, you might wanna play a lil bit longer, cus as long as you cant control sniper training, which is the biggest deal, playing SV, you might wanna choose a safer option and deal a few less dps. besides, MM only has a rota, means less mistakes, but people will have problems as SV, cus they dont know the prio list, or arent used to it.
    Since you brought up the point that people have problems as SV for aforementioned reasons, are you trying to make a case whilst comparing yourself to sub-par/average SV hunters? Also, there are lots of factors that contribute to a lack of mana- played perfectly as a raidgroup, there actually are very few fights which actually force you to viper, some SV hunters don't even optimize their stats properly to abuse resourcefulness as a talent, and they start crying about mana problems, you see.

Having said that I do agree with you about sniper training and the such, takes a lot of position/movement management to make it work. I can completely understand why terrible hunters claim that SV is at best on par with MM pre-icc though, so that's alright.

Maybe said hunters should l2p before attempting to make a case with crap :p.

But back to the OP anyway, pre-ICC, spec selection is basically mechanics, min-maxing, and you knowing your talent spec and how to bring the most out of it. In ICC scaling makes it pretty much indisputable as we all already know: that MM is the go-to spec. It's no use if we give you something, but you don't know how it works, then it falls on us for seemingly giving you bad advice. The best way? Practice, trial and error. After going through tens or hundreds even of fights with each spec only can you decide what works best for you. I think you kinda get the picture from what we're both saying, so go explore and experiment :D

Fealty is correct to a certain extent. MM truly outshines SV only at ICC level though.

8. May 27, 2016  
    Bumping this thread to point out that, while you were right if this was retail 3.3.5 - you aren't since it's warmane, in my experience. I've looked at many hunter logs, talked to many hunters and so forth never been able to find one that is able to outperform MM without using traps in their rotation, even while using Naxx gear and no Envoy. Even though you can get away with playing trap rotation on most encounters in Ulduar MM starts competing with that when you get Ulduar gear, so I simply recommend people to avoid playing SV if they're raiding Ulduar.

I may also point out that I've looked at plenty of kill videos, and talked to people who have great track records in terms of raiding, and with all of them playing hunters back during retail they all agree that MM is pulling higher numbers than it could ever have done back during retail, using the same patch and the same gear. So there you go. There is a ****ton of retail-based sources out there that backs up SV up until TOC/late TOC, but on Lordaeron the reality is different. Who knew that a private server would not be able to perfectly emulate retail.
    Edited: May 28, 2016