1. Its not strange. I quit a couple months ago because I started day 1 and played for 8 months straight. Most people had enough for awhile. Ill come back at some point, just not till the next world event at least.

2. ofc it isnt dead or dying.
    its summer, most people arent playing that much or are on vacations. icecrown merge is fairly new, and people like to go to new servers (although its in fact an old server). also you have to take in consideration that peaking to 12k + queue started slowly happening after the nost event, where many nost refugees came here to test the server out, as it was probably the best replacement quality and population wise (me and my friends included).

following that kronos had some problems for some period of time, and probably many of the players from chronos went to play on lord, and there was a failed tbc project that was really hyped, and im sure a part of those players waiting for tbc settled in at lord for some time. also ulduar was to be released. that all resulted in 12k+ people peaks.

some people left for sure, but those were just short term visitors. 12k was not the real playerbase, it was more like 8-10k stable, and those couple of thousands were like i said, just visiting, and testing the server out.

it is unrealistic to expect both icecrown and lord to both have 12k max at peak times. it will even out eventually, people will return, legion will become boring, summer will end, next raid will be released, and lord will have 8-10k players again, maybe even more, which is actually insane. and while i would like it to be a bit higher, 6k is a pretty big number
    Edited: August 18, 2016

3. Many old players had characters on Ragnaros and Deathwing (if i remember correctly). These server had no population so after the connection between those 2 (Icecrown), many players came back. But what these players don't understand is that you can gear yourself harder than on icecrown :) It's like you go from a pve server on a pvp server, with all items done... But that's the situation :)

First ... 234