1. Midsummer Dungeon Event - exploit?

Hey, all.

I will try to write my thoughts in full detail, so that you would understand my case better. I would really appreciate your help, since I just received a somewhat general response from a GM, that didn't answer all of my questions.

Sometimes I am a forum lurker. I go on the forums to learn more about what's happening in the game. A couple of days ago I stumbled upon an interesting thread, where OP talked about an exploit in the midsummer dungeon event. They said, that standing on the cliff was seen as a bannable offence, because the players are able to dodge the spikes (which shouldn't be done). Fast forward to yesterday, when I was able to participate in this event. I entered this dungeon 4-5 times and people were always using this tactic. Since I didn't want to get reported for exploiting, I took my deserter debuff in all of those cases. But I wrote a ticket to the GMs asking them whether this was actually an exploit or a clever strategy. I also asked them how to report such cases and if I were to stay in such groups, but stand on the ground, whether I would get banned, because even though I wouldn't be abusing the exploit myself, I would still be benefiting from it (just indirectly).

The response I got earlier this day only regarded my second question. The GM told me about providing unedited screenshots, that have to be uploaded on imgur, and such youtube videos. Ok, cool. I can deduce from this reply, that the aforementioned case is punishable. But the GM didn't give me a clear answer what exactly I should screenshot - like, all people standing on the cliff or sth more? They also didn't answer the other important question - whether attacking on the ground but still staying in this group would mean benefiting from the exploit (just indirectly). I want to know whether I can participate in this event and claim my daily loot without any worries.

I hope you guys could clarify some things. If I have made a fool of myself, in case this strategy is indeed intended, so be it. If you think, it would be better to write another ticket, I will do so.

Thanks for reading!
    Edited: June 30, 2020

2. Screenshoting people on the cliff should suffice with their names clearly visible or atleast you targeting them and the circle below the characters being visible. Don't think you would get banned for it since you personally aren't exploiting it.

Personal comment: don't be the guy that will report that case when literally everyone does it and it doesn't hurt anyone.

3. Screenshoting people on the cliff should suffice with their names clearly visible or atleast you targeting them and the circle below the characters being visible. Don't think you would get banned for it since you personally aren't exploiting it.

Personal comment: don't be the guy that will report that case when literally everyone does it and it doesn't hurt anyone.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I can finally enter this dungeon in peace.

As for your personal comment - since I got help from a member of the community, I won't file any reports. Though, I would like to mention, that this wasn't the first case when the community abused an ingame exploit (e.g. the old Valithria mind vision/sear bug) and doing this "didn't hurt anyone", but the discussion whether the staff would be lenient to players breaking their rules is not for me to answer.

4. if it is a bug not being hitted by spike while standing on the cliff, check if it is reported on bugtracker: https://www.warmane.com/bugtracker

If no one has report that yet, feel free to open a report.

5. if it is a bug not being hitted by spike while standing on the cliff, check if it is reported on bugtracker: https://www.warmane.com/bugtracker

If no one has report that yet, feel free to open a report.
    I'll be honest with you, skullatbash, checking the bugtracker didn't cross my mind, even though it's really logical now that I think about it. I typed the following keywords in the searchbox: first "Ahune", then "midsummer". I didn't find anything beside this hilarious report https://www.warmane.com/bugtracker/report/94450, so I will make a bug report later.

Thanks, that was a good tip.

6. People have used that cliff for years now. It would be awesome to get staff member's view on the matter. Standing on cliff won't make the spikes appear there, however the mobs still comes there.

The question is, if it's worth reporting/fixing. Ahune is there for few weeks a year. And how to fix it? Remove the way to the cliff, or try to figure out a way how the spikes will be able to appear on the cliff.

7. People have used that cliff for years now. It would be awesome to get staff member's view on the matter. Standing on cliff won't make the spikes appear there, however the mobs still comes there.
    Really? People have used this strategy for years? No wonder why some people I talked to yesterday didn't consider it as something abnormal.

The question is, if it's worth reporting/fixing. Ahune is there for few weeks a year. And how to fix it? Remove the way to the cliff, or try to figure out a way how the spikes will be able to appear on the cliff.
    Yeah, was thinking the same. According to this ingame calender:

http://forum.warmane.com/showthread....47#post2903147

the event will end in 4 days and I also think a bug report won't change anything this year. But since I've seen people getting banned for exploiting, I think a fix should occur some day. As for the possible solutions - at first I was thinking of the second suggestion, but removing the way to the cliff by adding an invisible wall might be easier and less risky to implement.

8. Really? People have used this strategy for years? No wonder why some people I talked to yesterday didn't consider it as something abnormal.

Yeah, was thinking the same. According to this ingame calender:

http://forum.warmane.com/showthread....47#post2903147

the event will end in 4 days and I also think a bug report won't change anything this year. But since I've seen people getting banned for exploiting, I think a fix should occur some day. As for the possible solutions - at first I was thinking of the second suggestion, but removing the way to the cliff by adding an invisible wall might be easier and less risky to implement.
    Can I actually get banned for exploiting doing that?

9. Can I actually get banned for exploiting doing that?
    I kind of doubt they are interested banning 99% of population.

10. I kind of doubt they are interested banning 99% of population.
    If a report with enough evidence was made, they would most likely ban the involved players. To ban a large amount of players, there would have to be a large amount of reports. And most people would stop doing it when they start seeing people getting banned for it.

11. Well sure, but the fact that I can report now some 200+ players and they will get banned kind of doesn't sit right with me.

12. Can I actually get banned for exploiting doing that?
    If I have to be honest with you, recently I have seen some accounts getting banned for exploiting. True, I can only speculate, if those bans had any connections to the aforementioned boss tactic, but the whole scenario kinda fits the "bug exploit" description in the "Players' Code of Conduct" page:

http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=65037

NO BUG EXPLOITING
    This may take many forms, but all of them are obvious. If you are profiting of any in-game advantage that shouldn't be happening normally, its a bug exploit and the fault for abusing it is yours and whoever is doing it with you. Don't blame the Server, GM's or Developers for it, as it will only get things worse for you. Some examples of bug exploiting:
    Exploiting a boss: Boss X hasn't be officially released but you find a way to fight it with whatever skill you have; Boss Y can't hit you and you can basically solo it due to some odd position;
    Like I've said in the OP, I had sent an ingame ticker and the GM didn't deny my suspicions. But, like the others have said, people might not file any reports - especially if this tactic has been used for years and many were accustomed to it. Personally, I try to stay on the ground and attack there, in order to play by the rules and not risk getting my account reported.

13. July 1, 2020  
    From what I know, the server's policy is to not be transparent about whether a certain thing is an exploit, which is understandable but also makes things really confusing (as with this case). So unfortunately, we likely won't know until someone actually gets banned for it. Essentially, the GM's response was likely aimed to neither confirm nor deny the possibility, rather than necessarily implying that it's the case (i.e. "If you think you're seeing an exploit, you can report by ways of X.")

That said, yes, that cliff has been used for years. I think I remember it being used even back sometime around 2015-2017 (before a long hiatus I took). I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the first time people have asked about it, but again, the non-transparent policy means that we can never really be sure until bans actually happen (if they ever do).

14. July 1, 2020  
    Why have the landscape there if you can't use the landscape?

15. July 1, 2020  
    Why have the landscape there if you can't use the landscape?
    It's pretty obvious that it's an intended mechanic of the boss to summon ice from the ground to knock players up. Going to an area of the map where the ice does not get summoned in order to avoid the mechanic is an exploit (exactly like how Heigan was exploitable on Frostmourne for a while, being able to stand in a portion of the room and not have to do "the dance").

Cut and dry there it is imo, but I mean it is what it is.

12 Last