1. We are all protected for using the servers here because Warmane is offering us ABANDONWARE; Bliz no longer supports Wotlk, Cata or MOP on any of their live retail servers. This falls under DCMA fair use.
    what kind of garbage are you spewing? abandonware is not a legal term. blizzard holds the rights to all of the software we currently "abuse". the only thing blizzard doesnt hold rights to is scripting done by the molten team and or others. since it is still based on software developed by blizzard there is a legal grey area here.

dont make any mistake. just because we dont play wod, doesnt mean using this software is in any way "ok". the risk lies with the server hosters and we as players are the only party that is safe.

2. what kind of garbage are you spewing? abandonware is not a legal term. blizzard holds the rights to all of the software we currently "abuse". the only thing blizzard doesnt hold rights to is scripting done by the molten team and or others. since it is still based on software developed by blizzard there is a legal grey area here.

dont make any mistake. just because we dont play wod, doesnt mean using this software is in any way "ok". the risk lies with the server hosters and we as players are the only party that is safe.
    The EFF is asking for an exception on them https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...s-and-archives

3. Thing is tho WoD is new I doubt it will fall under that.

4. Lets explain, *=This is private server (Yes it is hard to understand but this is really private server and they dont have 1000 employees )

Molten/Warmane (without WoD) = crying kids bugs*, crying kids we want updates every hour*, crying kids we are to lazy to found answer for anyhting
    Molten/Warmane (with WoD ) = crying kids bugs*, crying kids we want updates every hour*, crying kids we are to lazy to found answer for anything

Molten/Warmane (without WoD) = 6 years here bliazzard dont care
    Molten/Warmane (with WoD) = blizzard still will not care

Servers are in France not in usa it is not simple for DMCA to do anything, if blizzard 1 day could do something just move servers in Russia :)

P.S. I have longer version if is needed
    Edited: April 9, 2015

5. Something I've heard is that Warmane is planning to create and release a WOD server. My advice is to not do this until Blizzard has released a new expansion.

The reason I'm saying this is that currently all our servers here are past patches which protects users and Warmane from legal issues due to the software being legally classified as ABANDONWARE because Bliz has never supported previous patches on live realms. Therefore if Blizzard was to ever sue players or Warmane they currently would have a huge chance of losing the lawsuit because the service offered by Warmane falls within the scope of FAIR USE.

Strangely enough it was because of this ABANDONWARE safeguard that I knew Hermes was lying when he said he received a DCMA takedown that he was obliging -- that's very unlikely with this current ABANDONWARE safeguard in place.

The moment we step out of this protection though we're open to a lot of problems even if we feel the server is hosted in a place that is not going to just roll-over to an American company.

Bottom line is that if Warmane was to offer a WOD realm at the same time Bliz is offering the WOD experience -- then it is very likely that Blizzard would have probable cause to sue Warmane and win, shutting everything down.

This is not FUD -- it's just a hazard that potentially affects all of our ability to enjoy the current servers we're on.

I suspect someone has told the development team and staff of Warmane about this possible problem and that steps will be taken to ensure the safety of Warmane servers. I just hope we can continue to play here safely for a really long time! :)
    I'll give you few answers on what u have just posted.
    Seems like it you doesn't know at all how does blizzard truly works , i have a in real life friend who has been a Blizzard Employee. Blizzard main corp is located in US. And theire split in different corporation under the control of main one in US , There's European ,Asian and so on. And all of them have theire own legal rights across the world , the copyright is forbidden no matter if we're talking about vanilla , tbc , wotlk , cata , mop , in this case its the newest patch release WoD. I've been playing retail since 2008 , and surely trust me blizzard doesn't care about Molten or any other private server around. Obviously evry private server should becareful because they can encounter legal process for the copyrights. But due to that blizzard owns 5 games and like 30 milion players who plays on retail . Do you minimally think that they care for 20k folks playing here on warmane? If you need some more answers i will be glad to answer you as much i can , As i said even warmane releases WoD , there will be a chance to get the shutdown from Blizzard , but it depends where warmane is located , if its in europe than Warmane will encounter Blizzard EU Legal Terms not US one's . And US Blizzard corp has nothing to do with EU Legal Terms :) , I know those stuff from my personal experience.

P.S All Blizzard Legal terms are different from eachother. US - EU - RU - Etc.

Cheers
    Edited: April 9, 2015 Reason: Add

6. Lets explain, *=This is private server (Yes it is hard to understand but this is really private server and they dont have 1000 employees )

Molten/Warmane (without WoD) = crying kids bugs*, crying kids we want updates every hour*, crying kids we are to lazy to found answer for anyhting
    Molten/Warmane (with WoD ) = crying kids bugs*, crying kids we want updates every hour*, crying kids we are to lazy to found answer for anything

Molten/Warmane (without WoD) = 6 years here bliazzard dont care
    Molten/Warmane (with WoD) = blizzard still will not care

Servers are in France not in usa it is not simple for DMCA to do anything, if blizzard 1 day could do something just move servers in Russia :)

P.S. I have longer version if is needed
    This is where you're wrong. The EU Blizzard Legal Corporation is located in France. Precisely if u want to know where it is located, Paris.

If EU Blizzard wanted to shut off warmane they would have done it awhile ago my friend. They can do it whenever they want no matter where the servers are located , even if they are on Mars. Copyrights are forbidden and this is something you should put in your small brain :) .
    Edited: April 9, 2015 Reason: Add

7. ^ Though i think Warmane is a good thing for Blizzard,some inactive or old players wil come to Warmane,play it,check it,rage on it,see how buggy it is and fo again on retail= Blizzard wins :D

8. Well lets make it simple:
    Is the server profiting?
    Is the server running stolen or leaked software?
    Is the server distributing client files?
    Like many had said private servers stand in a grey area.
    You just have to think if you are running a multi billion industry do you honestly think you want to open a lawsuit for a private server that contains at most 20k players at peak? It cost money it is a waste of time and for what its not like Warmane can pay up that huge amount of lawsuit if blizzard does decide to do something about it. Infact some might say private servers sometimes make players go back in playing retail because of the "endless collection of bugs." I mean 4 of my friends went back to retail because of the bugs and missing contents...
    I mean those who don't play private servers almost everyone will say they are illegal and those who do play private servers will find any means to make private servers ok either way there is no definite answer.
    But im pretty sure blizzard did infact go lawsuit on someone.
    http://tinyurl.com/nm93ekj
    I think thats probably the reason why so many private servers don't use paypal anymore lulz.

9. DCMA is applied all over the globe for evry single game no matter from which country it comes from.

Learn more about law. Peace.
    Ok I see you are from usa and that's it is enough for me to understand why you think like that .

DMCA or Digital Millenium Copyright Acta is only for usa and it is not global and pls say me few wow servers that was closed by dmca with hosting in Europe I just want to know .
    And laws in Europe about internet and copyrights of games and something like that do not work not even close like in usa, laws are there but in most cases only on paper.

One more time, blizzard dont care for warmane.

And If you dont know ActivisionBlizzard is 1 big company, and they shut down their own servers for old games not private servers for cod :)

10. Well I mean considering WoD is still pretty new I wouldn't be surprised if blizzard started to consider looking into private servers.

11. Well I mean considering WoD is still pretty new I wouldn't be surprised if blizzard started to consider looking into private servers.
    True, but it was same with mop, molten released mop while blizzard was also on mop but different patch.

12. Well I mean considering WoD is still pretty new I wouldn't be surprised if blizzard started to consider looking into private servers.
    They've already been looking into private servers, which is why most of the top ones aren't located in North America

13. L
    Yeah, I think Russia is a pretty safe haven right now. With Russia having such bad relations with the US, I seriously doubt a Russian court would even considering honoring a DMCA request from an American company to deprive a Russian server of business. Blizzard likely knows that, so why spend a whole bunch of legal fees trying to get a French server to honor a DMCA when you know they will just move to Russia, where you can't do anything? It's just not a sensible way to spend legal fees.

14. As expansions come they become more complex. Half of the wod features won't ever work. Look at mop 30% of the mop features are working. 70%arent

15. Something I've heard is that Warmane is planning to create and release a WOD server. My advice is to not do this until Blizzard has released a new expansion.

The reason I'm saying this is that currently all our servers here are past patches which protects users and Warmane from legal issues due to the software being legally classified as ABANDONWARE because Bliz has never supported previous patches on live realms. Therefore if Blizzard was to ever sue players or Warmane they currently would have a huge chance of losing the lawsuit because the service offered by Warmane falls within the scope of FAIR USE.

Strangely enough it was because of this ABANDONWARE safeguard that I knew Hermes was lying when he said he received a DCMA takedown that he was obliging -- that's very unlikely with this current ABANDONWARE safeguard in place.

The moment we step out of this protection though we're open to a lot of problems even if we feel the server is hosted in a place that is not going to just roll-over to an American company.

Bottom line is that if Warmane was to offer a WOD realm at the same time Bliz is offering the WOD experience -- then it is very likely that Blizzard would have probable cause to sue Warmane and win, shutting everything down.

This is not FUD -- it's just a hazard that potentially affects all of our ability to enjoy the current servers we're on.

I suspect someone has told the development team and staff of Warmane about this possible problem and that steps will be taken to ensure the safety of Warmane servers. I just hope we can continue to play here safely for a really long time! :)
    I agree, this is why they delayed release on MoP. They should just wait. I doubt anyone here is really itching to play that crap anyway.

First ... 3456715 ... Last