1. July 5, 2020  

"New" to private servers, excited to come back to WotLK

Hi everyone!

My name is 6ryff, aka Gryff. WotLK was my first ever experience with World of Warcraft, and I quite enjoyed it at the time.
    My experience with WoW has been extremely on-and-off since. I've never really made the full progression from level 1 to a fully geared max level account. I've put more time into watching WoW content than I have into actually playing the game myself.

With that being said, I am excited to try WotLK again as my best memories of the game were from that expansion. Considering I want a slow and steady introduction to the game, relearning everything as I level up instead of just diving in head-first, I figured Lordaeron would be a good choice.
    However, as soon as I opened up the forums I saw a thread about the state of PVP on Lordaeron ( http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=417550 ) that slightly concerns me.

Will I find an active community for each aspect of the game on this server? I'm not currently too interested in WoW PVP, as I'm more interested in just levelling and gearing a nice character at the minute, but it is something I want to eventually try out.

Anyways. Regardless of whether or not I get an answer on here, I'm quite excited to try out this private server. I'm almost finished downloading the client, and I'm probably going to run into a few technical issues before I actually get everything up and running, but I'm looking forward to this :D

2. July 5, 2020  
    Well, the issue people have with PVP on Lordaeron is the fact that you can buy stuff on Icecrown and you can't on Lordaeron. Everyone seems to think that just because someone is BIS that means that they donated every single bit of it. That is possible, but the realm(s) have been up for years now, even casual players have had time to get bis geared characters.

You will have a slight disadvantage in terms of easiest possible way of obtaining items. But you can still be competitive and it's not like NBA vs your local 6th grader's gym class.
    If you do find it a bit demotivating, try out Blackrock. You can create as many characters as you want (10 at a time) to try out specs and classes you like and you can play on both realms, many of us do. I like my holy priest, but I cba to level one so I got one for BGs on Blackrock, great fun tbh.

3. July 6, 2020  
    If you're doing casual PvP, I don't think it will be as bad as people make it out to be. It's the same either way - whether you play in Lordaeron or Icecrown, you WILL be at a disadvantage at start compared to players who have been playing for years (as well as donators). It matters more if you're planning to go high-end/tryhard/competitive, as high-end PvE gear is significantly harder to get in Lordaeron.

Having a Blackrock alt is probably a good way to go about it if you want to try PvP since you can get a solid starting gear very easily (for free, iirc).

As you asked about community, the fact that the complaint thread is so active implies that there's an active enough community to care, so there's that :P I don't think you'll find difficulties getting into Battlegrounds and stuff either way since it's all cross-realm (for better or for worse).

Just a word of warning, though. Be prepared to see Shadowmournes every other Battleground/Arena match.