1. Is it ninja to roll on downgrade

Just want to get some clarification. If I’m in RDF as a tank and a tank item drops, am I only allowed to roll need if it’s a upgrade? Or am I allowed to roll need as long as it’s a tank item? Also what if the item is the same iLvl, so not really an upgrade or downgrade?

2. You're allowed to roll need on items that you need for your selected spec. If the item is a downgrade then you shouldn't need it. If it's the same quality with stats for a different build then go ahead and need it. Tanks/healers have an easier time staying within the rules in RDF since they're alone.

3. Do NOT need on items when they are a downgrade! If it's a trinket, then it's very, VERY subjective. ToC 5 normal trinkets are far better than most trinkets before BiS(The Black Heart is a much better trinket than Ick's Rotting Thumb, for example).
    Do NOT need on items for your offspec. Clarification of "what is offspec": rdf queue pops for you as a tank - your main spec is tank. Nobody cares if your Primary spec is heal or dps in your talents window. Also don't be one of those sh*theads who join as something(not even that well geared for their role) and insta say "rolling X/Y/Z", silently assuming everyone will be ok with it. If you want to get tank gear - join rdf as a tank. Respectively do the same for other specs. Being a multi-role class(pala/druid/war/etc) and queuing as everything also does NOT give you the right to roll on everything(believe it or not some people actually insist they are allowed to, since they can queue as everything).
    Do NOT need on items for other people. Even if someone is blatantly stealing something from someone, don't lump yourself in and roll Need. If you get properly documented, you COULD get banned for it.
    Do NOT play the "well if they are doing it then so am I" card. If someone is breaking rules, it's on them. You be your own person.