CREATOR OF THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE.

This is by no means a complete PvP guide and I don’t by any means claim it to be mine. Found and copied from the warlocks den.
Gearing Up:

If you have a ton of Emblems, you can quickly acquire last season's Relentless PvP set via 405 Emblems of Frost from ICC or with a combination of Arena Points and Honor. You can also get the Furious Set via Emblems of Triumph from Heroics/Raids or via Honor from bgs. The Furious set is great for starting off while you save up for the rating/arena points for the Wrathful set. Also make sure you run Vaults every week for a chance to win Furious, Relentless, and Wrathful pieces.

As far as what to get first, that depends a lot on what you need for upgrades. If you’re just starting out, Use emblems for mainset and honor for the other pieces. If your new to 80, and you have no pve or pvp gear, the buy rele offset. If your switiching from pve to pvp, use your pve until you can get wrath. As for weapons, the dagger gives you a lot of flexibility. The off-hands are only 350 arena points each, so you can buy all 3 and switch between the haste, crit, or, spell penetration off-hands depending on which spec you’re using.

IDEAL STATS TO AIM FOR:

Hit = 4% hit to be capped and 6% hit to be capped against racials. Talents with a -% Chance to be hit can't be offset via additional Hit.

Spell Penetration = Spell pen is currently bugged on Warmane binary spells (non-damaging spells) cannot be resisted. THe main purpose of spellpen is to avoid binary spell resists, but due to bugs the only use of spellpen is to increase damage against targets with resist. My rule of thumb is Spell power>spell pen = haste = crit. In other words, dont give up spell power but take 15 spellpen over 10 haste.

Haste = Aim for around 500 Haste if you prefer that stat as Destruction. For Affliction 500+ depending on your play style (Some locks push it over 700+).

Crit = Won't need to worry about Crit off-set pieces as Affliction. Destruction will depend on your play style, though most locks prefer to be around 30% crit as Destruction.

GEMMING:

Most agree when it comes to gemming, go with the Red Spell Power gem for the Red Sockets or the Orange Haste/SP gem and some form of Spell Penetration gems for the Blue Sockets. I use the Purple 12sp/13 spell pen gems in my Blue Sockets.

If you play Destruction exclusively and prefer Crit, you might want to go with the Orange Sp/Crit gems in your yellow sockets. Since I play Affliction and Demonology a lot too, I went with the Sp/Haste orange gems in my Shoulders, Chest, and Haste boots and my Crit boots have the Sp/Crit gem.

Meta Gem = I recommend going with the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond (21 Crit 3% increased crit damage) for all 3 specs because it gives you more flexibility to switch between the different specs. If you only play Affliction though, the Trenchant Earthsiege Diamond (25sp Stun Duration reduced by 10%) is a solid Meta Gem as well.

ENCHANTS:

Helm = LWG 29 Sp/20 Resil, or Arcanum of dominance
Shoulders = LWG 23 Sp/15 Resil or Inscription of dominance
Cloak = 35 Spell Pen. (If you're a Tailor and only play Affliction, it's worth considering Lightweave but you need to maintain 110-130 Spell Pen)
Chest = 20 Resil
Bracers = 30 Sp
Gloves = 28 Sp or if you're an Engineer go with the Pyro Rocket.
Legs = 50 Sp/30 Stam
Boots = Tuskarr's Vitality (My mage is an engineer, so I have extra boots for the rocket boots when not in Arena).

THE GEAR:

FURIOUS SET:

Gloves = 43,300 Honor or 50 Emblems of Triumph
Pants = 34,700 Honor or 75 Emblems of Triumph
Chest = 54,500 Honor or 75 Emblems of Triumph
Helm = 54,500 Honor or 75 Emblems of Triumph
Shoulders = 34,700 Honor or 50 Emblems of Triumph

RELENTLESS SET:

Gloves = 8,000 Honor and 440 Arena Points, or 60 Emblems of Frost
Pants = 13,200 Honor and 770 Arena Points or 95 Emblems of Frost
Chest = 13,200 Honor and 770 Arena Points or 95 Emblems of Frost
Helm = 13,200 Honor 770 Arena Points or 95 Emblems of Frost
Shoulders = 10,550 Honor and 600 Arena Points or 60 Emblems of Frost

RELENTLESS ACCESSORIES:

Bracers = 21,700 Honor
Belt = 34,100 Honor
Boots = 34,100 Honor
Neck = 26,100 Honor
Ring = 26,100 Honor
Battlemaster’s Trinket = 34,100 Honor
Cloak = 26,100 Honor

WRATHFUL SET:

Gloves = 1,430 Arena Points and 1,400 Arena Rating Requirement
Pants = 2,370 Arena Points and 1,500 Arena Rating Requirement
Chest = 2,370 Arena Points and 1,600 Arena Rating Requirement
Helm = 2,370 Arena Points and 1,950 Arena Rating Requirement
Shoulders = 1,930 Arena Points and 2,000 Arena Rating Requirement in 3s or 5s
T1 Staff = 55,000 Honor, 1,540 Arena Points, and 1,800 Arena Rating Requirement
T1 Dagger = 38,500 Honor, 1,300 Arena Points, and 1,800 Arena Rating Requirement
Off-hand = 350 Arena Points and 1,800 Arena Rating Requirement
Wand = 1,260 Arena Points and 1,700 Arena Rating Requirement
T2 Staff = 4,670 Arena Points and 2,200 Arena Rating Requirement in 3s or 5s
T2 Dagger = 3,950 Arena Points and 2,200 Arena Rating Requirement in 3s or 5s

WRATHFUL ACCESSORIES:

Bracers = 43,400 Honor
Belt = 68,200 Honor and a 1,300 Arena Rating Requirement
Boots = 68,200 Honor and a 1,400 Arena Rating Requirement
Neck = 52,200 Honor
Ring = 52,200 Honor
Cloak = 52,200 Honor

ADDONS: - For the record i have not tested all these addons on Warmane I am not sure if they still work.

Gladius = It only works in Arena. When the match starts it shows what you’re facing. Serves as enemy frames that you can use to target your enemy, track their trinket use, notifies you if your opponent is drinking, etc. I highly recommend this addon if you are considering Arena.

Afflicted = When an opponent uses a cool down, it tracks the duration on the spell and also when it will be back up. If you have a hard time keeping up with different timers, this might not be for you.

Interrupt Bar = Tracks the cd on enemy interrupts. I personally prefer this over afflicted.

CCTracker = Lets you know when your partner is being cced, what he’s being cced by, and the duration on it. Also keeps track of the duration of cc you and your partners use.

Arena Historian = Records data after each match about the comp you faced, what your record is against them, and what TR/MMR the team was.

Lock Notes = Gives you a warning in the middle of your screen. For example a warrior uses spell reflect, you’ll get the message in the middle of your screen.

Quartz = Nice Casting Bar mod. You can adjust them as you see fit.

SCT = Scrolling Combat Text addon that shows incoming damage, killing blows, etc. You can configure it to meet your own needs. Good mod.

Necrosis = Warlock addon. I like it for the Fear Immunity warnings.

MACROS:

These are some of my macros:

Mouseover Fear:
/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Fear; Fear

Mouseover Banish
/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Banish; Banish

Totem Mouseover:
/petattack [target=mouseover]

Focus Fear:
/cast [target=focus] Fear

Focus Banish:
/cast [target=Focus]Banish

Stealth Finder:
#showtooltip Corruption
/console targetNearestDistance 15.000000
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
/cast [harm,nodead] Corruption
/dismount [target=target,exists]

All in one Pet Abilities:
/cast [pet:succubus,target=focus,harm]Seduction;[pet:succubus]Seduction; [pet:felguard, target=focus,harm]Intercept; [pet:felguard]Intercept; [pet:voidwalker]Sacrifice; [target=Player's Name] Devour Magic

All in one Pet Abilities:
/cast [pet:voidwalker] consume shadows;[target=focus,exists,nodead, pet:felhunter] Spell Lock; Spell Lock

Felhunter Shadow Bite:
#showTooltip Shadow Bite
/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Shadow Bite; Shadow Bite

Curse of Tongues: Puts CoT on your focus if you have one. If you don't have a focus, puts it on your target.
/cast [target=focus, exists, nodead] Curse of Tongues; Curse of Tongues

Fel Dom. Pet: Replace Felhunter with w/e pet you want to Fel Dom.
/cast Fel Domination
/cast summon felhunter

Trinket/Tele: I have a normal keybind for Trinket of course but I have this macro as an additional keybind too.
/use Every Man for Himself
/use Demonic Circle: Teleport

Devour Player:
/cast [target=Player's Name] Devour Magic

Healthstone/BM Trinket:
/use fel healthstone
/use battlemaster's ruination (or /use 13 or /use 14 depending on what slot your trinket is in).

KEYBOARD TURNING AND BACK PEDALING:

In a serious PvP environment, you simply can’t use the A and D keys to turn. Don’t do it! You should always use your mouse to turn, no exceptions! I highly recommend doing 1 of 2 things. You can move your strafe binds to A and D and then bind spells to Q and E or you can bind spells to A and D. Either way is fine and the result will be in having 2 great key binds now available. Also, avoid using the S key to slowly move back aka back pedal. It serves no purpose in the PvP community and can free up an additional key bind for you as well. As a caster, it’ll be extremely frustrating trying to get a spell off with a melee on you, if you’re using A and D to turn. Ditch the habit now!

KEY BINDS:
Keybinds are a very personal thing, there really is no guide except make full use of your modifier, alt ctrl shift. The only really mandatory keybind in my opinion is changing tab to "target nearest enemy player" instead of the defaul "target nerest enemy"

CASTERS AND FAKE CASTING:

Fake casting is the act of starting a cast only to end it early in the hopes of luring an enemy player into a wasting an interrupt. This is especially useful if you are trying to land a Fear or nuke on a target and you have a melee in your face. You can start the cast and then hit the W key or use your mouse to move, or any other means to end the cast early, to stop it at like 40%. This will cause the melee class to waste his kick, pummel, etc. and then you are free to cast it again with out having to worry about it being interrupted. It’s basically a mind game between the caster and melee and in some cases caster vs caster. It’s very important to make use of this technique in order to excel in PvP. The addon Interrupt Bar tracks the time on when an opponent's interrupt is ready again.

BEING PREPARED:

Make sure before you enter a battleground or arena, you have plenty of reagents, bandages, water, tailoring nets, battleground potions, etc. I often make use of bandages in arena, especially if it comes down to a 1v1. Also, I highly recommend playing fully zoomed out so you can see your surroundings with ease. It’s important to always know where your healer/partner is and not to line of sight him/her. If your healer/partner gets in trouble, help him/her by “peeling” via Fear, Howl, Shadowfury, Death Coil, Felguard’s Intercept, Seduce, etc. Some thing to consider when you do arena/premades is using raid symbols so you can keep track of each other.

If you’re in a battleground and you can’t seem to kill a warrior because his health bar keeps going back to full, you didn’t take a good look at your surroundings. You should have been dealing with the healers first by either killing or Fearing them. Always be aware of what's going on around you!

MAKING AN ARENA TEAM: 5s are dead on all Warmane realms except warsong.

Some of the solid comps for us right now are:

2s: Lock/Rogue, Lock/Mage, Lock/Ret, and Lock/Healer.

3s: Rogue/Lock/Shaman (You can really run this with any healer and have success), Mage/Lock/Shaman (You can run this with any healer as well), Warrior/Lock/Druid, Warrior/Lock/Paladin, and DK/Lock/Druid. There are plenty of other comps as well.

5s: A classic 5s comp for locks is priest/paladin/warrior/ele/lock or change the warrior with a hunter.

You can pretty much make any thing work though if you set your mind to it. I ran Meta lock/DK to 2300 TR and 2400 MMR at the start of season 7.

GETTING THE MOST OUT OF ARENA:

Before you start doing arena, it’s important for you to decide how serious you want to take it. From there, you need to find a partner(s) that have the same goals as you. The most important thing is playing with people you get along with well. It doesn’t matter how good the player is, if you don’t get along with them, it’s not going to go well or be fun.

Don’t worry about how many games you win or lose. Play a lot of games and don’t be afraid to try different brackets, specs, strategies, etc. The main thing to do is get a lot of games in, you really need experience right now. Play with your partner in battle grounds, when you’re not doing arena. You can work out a lot of your crowd control chains during this time and build up better communication and coordination.

Communication is key in PvP. You need to be able to look ahead. Good teams can look ahead to plan on when to blow cool downs, or to give their partner time to drink, etc. Communicating on what is happening helps a lot too. For example, the other team’s healer trinkets a repent and now his trinket is down. This is not the time to go for a kill (unless the healer is exposed, then maybe it is!) This would be a good time to plan ahead for that repent when it’s back up. The paladin’s team should be preparing for a cc chain on the healer, when the repent comes back up and then the paladin and his healer can both dps the target. Since the trinket is down, a well executed cc chain on the healer can end this game.

Improving at PvP mainly comes down to experience. You have to be able to anticipate what your opponents are going to do. It comes down to anticipating what they’re going to do, countering it, better positioning, capitalizing on any mistakes they make, out playing them, and a little luck.

[U]SPECS: [/U] Links to trees to be added. ** Bolded glyphs are my personal glyphs

AFFLICTION:

54/17/0

The above is a standard PvP Affliction spec. Feel free to move points around as needed but some form of 54/17/0 is the way to go for Affliction.

Most people prefer Haste for Affliction, you will also want to use the Spellstone. Whether you just want to go with all of the Haste off set pieces or gem for it too is up to you. You can grab the Haste Battlemaster’s Trinket for even more too. I personally go with the sp/haste gems in the yellow sockets, sp/spell pen gems in the blue, and sp gems in the red sockets. I also go with the Haste battlemaster’s trinket. My haste basically just comes from Weapon, off-hand, and off set pieces.

With all of that Haste, it simply speeds up the play style of Affliction. You can spread all of your dots around and land Fears much quicker. It also make juking interrupts extremely easier. Obviously, since all of your damage is centered around your Shadow Tree, avoiding interrupts on your Shadow school is extremely important. I usually start with Demon Armor on in the larger brackets and switch to Fel Armor depending on how things are going.

My main priority is getting my dots up and keeping them up. I like putting up UA first so my dots aren't getting spam dispelled, though if I'm moving to get better position, I'll throw up my instants. Always use Haunt on the kill target. I then use spare gcds on Fearing but the priority remains keeping my dots up, while controlling Dps/Healers.

Affliction Glyphs: Quick of Decay, Shadowflame, Howl of Terror, and Corruption, are all solid glyphs for Affliction.

DESTRUCTION:

3/17/51

The above is a standard 3/17/51 Destruction spec with 3 points in Suppression for Hit and typically runs with the Felhunter out in Arena and either the Felhunter or Voidwalker out in Battlegrounds. Due to a change to Replenishment abilities: "Replenishment in Arenas only affects the character and not the whole team", it's not worth grabbing Improved Soul Leech.

0/17/54 -Link to be added

The above is a 0/17/54 Destruction spec that packs a little more of a punch via Pyroclasm and like the above spec, makes use of the Felhunter/Voidwalker. If you don't need the hit from Suppression, this is a solid Destruction spec to go with.

0/20/51 -Link to be added

The above is a standard 0/20/51 Destruction spec with 3 points moved over to Improved Succubus and typically runs with the Succubus out.

You can move 2 points from Improved Healthstone to Improved Health Funnel if needed. 3/17/51 and 0/20/51 are your standard specs though.

Most people prefer going with a Crit set for Destruction but there are some that like Haste for Destruction too. I personally use my Crit set for it and use the Firestone. I’m sitting at almost a 25% chance to crit unbuffed. With Firestone and Devastation, it’s even higher. My gemming is pretty much the same as above for my crit set; however, I have a sp/crit gem in my boots for this set.

There’s really not too much information to go into about the play style of the spec. I pretty much run with Fel Armor 99% of the time as Destruction. Use Curse of the Elements to amp up your damage, with Immolate, Chaos Bolt, and then Conflag being your main burst setup and Incinerate your main nuke. Throw up Corruption for some dispel protection on Immolate. If Immolate isn’t in danger of being dispelled, add in a Searing Pain between the Chaos Bolt and Conflag.

Use Shadowfury wisely to help setup kills or peel in emergencies. Obviously try to hit as many people as possible with Shadowfury and follow it with a Howl of Terror at times, depending on positioning. Using Fear to bait people into interrupting your shadow school can be useful so you can freely cast your Fire spells.

Destruction Glyphs: Conflag, Soul Link, and Shadowflame are all solid glyphs for Destruction. Immolate Glyph is no longer worth it in PvP, in 3.3.

DEMONOLOGY:

0/55/16 -Link to be added

The above is a fairly standard 0/55/16 spec people use for Demonology. You can juggle some points around, like move the 2 points in Aftermath to Improved Shadow Bolt, pick up Imp Health Funnel, etc. You can also go deeper in the Destruction tree for Intensity/Destructive Reach; however, you'll be sacrificing important points in Demonology.

Demonology isn't as bad as people make it out to be, though it definitely needs help. Imo, the Felguard needs another ability, such as a snare, intervene, knock back, etc. but enough of that... back to the topic!

Due to the fact that most top locks have written Demonology off as being a garbage spec, I don’t think enough testing has been done to say what gear setup is ideal. I personally like the Haste setup better because it drops my Shadow Bolt/Incinerates to under a 2 second cast time and Fear down to around a 1 second cast time.

Imo, with close to 1.0 second cast Fears, it starts to give the spec some of the much needed control it lacks, those are some extremely fast Fears. It also gives you the ability to get some nukes off that crit for over 10k with my gear on a 0 Resilience target (That’s with Curse of the Elements and not in Meta). Make sure you take your Felguard’s Intercept off of auto (Get a intercept/focus macro for it) so you can make good use of it to interrupt a healer’s heal or to peel for your team.

I pretty much always use Fel Armor as Demonology. Most of your damage is going to come from Immolate, Corruption, the Felguard, Incinerate, and Shadow Bolt being your main nuke. If you pick up the Decimation talent, you'll use Soul Fire in Execute range. You can use Incinerate to lure an interrupt on your Fire school so you can freely cast Fear/Shadow Bolts. I typically spread Immolate, Corruption, and Curse of Agony on off-targets (In that order) and CoE on my kill target.

My ideal rotation on my kill target is: Send Felguard in, CoE, Immolate, Corruption. Then Shadowflame if I need to kite at this point or, nuke with Shadow Bolt and throw in a Shadowburn when some thing gets low (Shadowburn crits for around 6k for me). If I want to bait an interrupt with out juking, I might use Incinerate. Always use Metamorphosis offensively to score a kill, not as a defensive ability. I hope more people will experiment with it.

Demonology Glyphs: Shadowflame, Quick of Decay, Corruption, and Felguard are all great glyphs for Demonology.

PETS:

In 2s, I typically always start with a Voidwalker out for all 3 specs. Once the gates open, I use sacrifice and then hard summon a new pet depending on what spec I'm using (Felhunter if I'm Affliction, Felguard if I'm Demonology, and Succubus or Felhunter if I'm Destruction).

If the opposing team has a rogue, send your pet in on a visible target and you're immune to sap. You'll need to get in there though or your pet will be extremely exposed for a quick kill.

If you're finding it impossible for your team to keep your pet alive in 2s with a healer or 3s/5s, you can pull out an Imp and the opponents won't be able to attack it; however, your healers won't be able to heal your Imp either. You'll have to Health Funnel your Imp every now and then to keep it up! If you're considering ever pulling out an imp, make sure you pull out the Imp before Arena to ensure Phase Shift is on. Always start with your normal pet of choice but if you don't feel comfortable with being able to keep that pet up after it goes down, just Fel Dom an Imp.

PORTAL USE:

I don't really believe there's a right or wrong way to use our portal, just poor use of it, perhaps. How you use it is going to greatly depend on your play style. Some might only use it defensively and that's it. Some might use it purely offensively. Others might use it with a balance of the 2. I fall in that 3rd category.

Against mages, locks, or druids, you can use it to get out of poor positioning if you're exposed to cc to avoid that incoming sheep, fear, cyclone, etc. If there is a Warrior on the opposing team, I save it for the Bladestorm. The rest of the time I use it to take advantage of positioning on a healer, target, etc. This can often lead to a kill via a cc train on an unsuspecting healer.

I typically set my port up behind a pillar in Nagrand, If a team blows a gap closer such a Death Grip, setup a cc train on the healer and use it to get some separation to land a kill.

In RoL, I like placing it on my side of the Arena and some where fairly close to the tomb. I'll then try to take the opposing healer's position and force them toward my port area.

In Blade's Edge Arena, I set it up on the bridge, usually near the middle of the bridge. If it's a cleave or melee/caster type setup I might try luring them down below so I can abuse their positioning. I also like dragging them to my end of the bridge which forces their healer to come to them (Over my portal) which can expose them to a cc train.

The biggest thing I can say about our portal is try to not be too conservative with it (Unless you're going against a Warrior ). Use it and use it often. Using it to avoid cc or get the advantage via position is huge. Be creative!

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

Like I said at the start, I don’t claim to be a god at the class but I hope some of you find this helpful. Some thing I hope you’ll keep in mind is, you’re going to lose and probably lose a lot. Try not to get too frustrated. Take a break if you need to but before you do. Reflect on the last game. Why did you lose? What did the other team do to put you in a bad position? Could either of you have changed the outcome by doing some thing different? What can you change so that doesn’t happen again? Start coming up with answers to these questions and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a better player!

Original credz go to merlin at the warlocks den, i simply copied and edited it for Warmane. Also added some additions.