1. Are Ele Shamans really that bad in PvP?

I came across this thread created here last spring and saw a few posts about Elemental Shamans being bad/mediocre in PvP:
    http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=354420

I used to play an Ele Shaman in retail and just recently started re-experiencing TBC again through Warmane. Even though I was only 16-17 years old at the time of retail I managed to get very close to a 2k rating in 3s with my Ele Shaman, (got to around 1995 or something like that), which I was pretty proud of. Our setup was Holy Pala, Arms Warrior and me. Our base tactic usually consisted of picking a target (usually the enemy healer) and we would burst him down quickly, with me giving WF totem to our Warrior. It worked surprisingly well, even though I didn't even have a mic to speak with on TS either.

Later on I joined a fairly skilled 5s team that I did pretty well in also. There were few of us Ele Shamans back then and we seemed highly sought after.

Perhaps people have learned how to counter Ele Shamans better since then? I've been thinking of leveling a Shaman recently, but would I only end up being disappointing because of Ele Shamans not being as great as I remember them?

2. Forget about the old thread. Most ppl that were posting there had no idea what they are talking about.

Imo both, enh and ele, are absolutely viable in PvP.
    Ele is one of the best class for BGs.
    I guess thats out of question because as long as a ele shami doesn't get attacked he can pull of some insane dmg and that makes him perfect for large scale battles.
    Due to that ele shami performs the best in 5s in terms of arena but is also viable in 3s.
    I recommend to check the TBC streams. Like a week ago I have seen a a warr, ele and disc that were streaming 3s and they were able to literally global pvp geared opponents.

Imo the most important question is how ele shami will perform in s4 since TBC will stay in that season forever.
    In s4 lots of haste gear becomes available and I guess that gonna be pretty good for a spec that is only hardcasting.

3. Imo both, enh and ele, are absolutely viable in PvP.
    Ele is one of the best class for BGs.
    You seem to be right. I've played some BG's now recently and I keep getting deleted by Ele Shamans and their insane burst.

4. Well I only played the PTR on warmane, and I'd say Ele is inferior to a Mage. They don't have hex or thunderstorm while a mage has polymorph, iceblock and blink. They can also roll arcane for bursting which also gives them a nice silence and slow.
    Edited: January 12, 2018

5. Yes its <current year>, they are really that bad. Only really good bracket for ele sham is 5s which I personaly dont consider fun/personal skill based as much as 3s or 2s. If you want to play 3s it is still viable, but keep in mind that you have to find partners that are willing to carry you, since any other class (rog,mage) would be overaly better for them.

Although its true that you can totaly rekt some teams as ele in 3s and perform avarage some others, there are comps that counter you so hard that you cant barely do anything (even vs bad players) and you get to situation when you just support your mates and surviving which makes ele as worse choise in big picture over already mentioned mage/rog. Your big problem in 3s are warlocks and enhancement shamans and since warlock is one of the most played specs, you are not going to have a good time.

In my eyes and personal experience, ele will become even less viable in few years. I still notice that many players dont know what they can expect from elemental shamans, you will get very underestimated in beginings and have some easy games. Truth is that its very easy to outplay ele, people just dont play safe(er) agaist you.

In short; 3s is great choice if you want to have some fun and look for challenge, dont look for some top 10 high rating push tho (unless you play with 3 engi net trinkets in your team). War/ele/healer is very nice comp and best for ele overall I think. Having hpal with you is very nice because of the conc aura, but once you meet lock (every second arena) its more likely loose. There are some other comps that would work nicely too, like ele/frostmage/heal or ele/rogue/heal.

Stay away from 2s... that doesnt even need explanation.

In general, Ele is imo the most unviable spec for pvp (not counting meme BGs), you get countered by pets only (expecialy warlock pet, since he has barely any crit chance) because of the constant pushbacks in casting until EoS procs. Keep in mind that elemental shields currently prevent procs from EoS and dont behive like resilience (as it should be). Then you get super countered by spell lock and counter spell if you dont fake cast it its almost like getting stunned for 8 seconds. I rather wont mention curse of tongues and slow... yea and lets not forget 2s ghost wolf cast (to prevent sap atleast), and fact that you dont have any kind of defensive ability, except from grounding and stoneskin totem. There are many other things i didnt mention which makes Ele as unviable spec, that people dont usualy realize.

Playing ele is great if you are masochist, you will have fun. But it doesnt allow any mistakes, you need to think 3 steps ahead, you need to be geared to the edge, and even tho you meet far worse players that yourself, you are still going to loose because of the insane class counter. And after avarage day of playing arenas as ele im always deciding between suicide and queing some more arenas... I usualy que some more and cry in bed after.

TLDR; Yes they are unviable, not worth the struggle.
    Edited: January 12, 2018 Reason: typo

6. I came across this thread created here last spring and saw a few posts about Elemental Shamans being bad/mediocre in PvP:

I used to play an Ele Shaman in retail and just recently started re-experiencing TBC again through Warmane. Even though I was only 16-17 years old at the time of retail I managed to get very close to a 2k rating in 3s with my Ele Shaman, (got to around 1995 or something like that), which I was pretty proud of. Our setup was Holy Pala, Arms Warrior and me. Our base tactic usually consisted of picking a target (usually the enemy healer) and we would burst him down quickly, with me giving WF totem to our Warrior. It worked surprisingly well, even though I didn't even have a mic to speak with on TS either.

Later on I joined a fairly skilled 5s team that I did pretty well in also. There were few of us Ele Shamans back then and we seemed highly sought after.

Perhaps people have learned how to counter Ele Shamans better since then? I've been thinking of leveling a Shaman recently, but would I only end up being disappointing because of Ele Shamans not being as great as I remember them?
    The 5's team comp that reigned for years, 2345, was called such because of the shaman. They were borderline required in 5's and are exceedingly good in battlegrounds. Most years, most expansions, they are not viable in 2's/3's, for obvious reasons. I have no idea why the person above me is crying - elemental shamans are, and have always been, turret damage. They're focused because of their damage potential, and, shut down because of their damage potential. It got better over the years.

7. I have no idea why the person above me is crying - elemental shamans are, and have always been, turret damage. They're focused because of their damage potential, and, shut down because of their damage potential. It got better over the years.
    That said, they were hit hard in the mainhand only weapon nerf that led to losing the ability to equip two spellpower daggers and blast away unless targeted, in which case they equipped their shield. But in 5v5 they still have a huge potential simply because BL and that they hit pretty hard. Issues on warmane however is the 3x heal from lifebloom when purged and the lack of PvE gear compared to PvP season progress.

8. Elemental shaman are incredible in 5s. Whoever thinks they aren't is wrong, and stupid.

9. Elemental shaman are incredible in 5s. Whoever thinks they aren't is wrong, and stupid.
    Whoever thinks that 5s is relevant bracket is wrong, and stupid.

10. Whoever thinks that 5s is relevant bracket is wrong, and stupid.
    What u consider as "relevant" is up to u.
    Fact is that 5s rewards the most arena points and is currently the most active arena bracket of tbc.

11. May 11, 2018  
    I came across this thread created here last spring and saw a few posts about Elemental Shamans being bad/mediocre in PvP:

Elemental shamans never been top tier in arena 3v3, Ppl where worse at the game back in the day , noone had same experiance as now , BUT if your goal is 2k in 3s you still can do it as elemental, all about your Skill and your partners skill combined with a good comp , Test Disc Mage Elemental , or Disc bm elemental ,

12. May 12, 2018  
    IN MY OPINION

Ele shammy is good vs enemy casters (grounding +6sec kick is awesome) but terrible sucker vs any melee/hunter class

a rogue literally sits on you 100% of the time stunin you to death, a wrrior perma snare you and mortal strike you (plus they got really high burst dmg) whiole hunters (especially BM) simply can pop bestial wrath and afk kill you with autoshot.

tbc is more rock paper scissor game.

13. May 12, 2018  
    I find Elemental Shamans with S4/SWP gear to be very good vs physical dps but terrible vs casters.
    Rogues will not be too troublesome if you know how to play against them. Warriors you will beat just by staying semi-AFK and press your shock and lightning shield. Hunters can be tricky sometimes but eye of the storm will help you against them. Paladins and Enhancement shamans won't bother you at all.

Mages will eat you alive unless they come in close, allowing you to shock them.
    Warlocks will floor you unless you use SRG. Same with SPs.
    You won't kill healers if they go on the defensive path, but they won't kill you.