1. [Guide] Rogue PVP . Assasination +Subt.

CREATOR OF THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE.

I wont call this a perfect guide .. there is always room for error .. u can obviously change things to your liking .

INTRODUCTION
    This will be a basic and thorough guide to the Rogue class at level 80. It will include both Subtlety and Mutilate, with perhaps a slight focus on Mutilate.

TALENTS AND GLYPHS

(Mutilate 44/2/25) http://wow335.gamestool.net/roguet.p...20000000000000 This is a common Mutilate spec, some changes can be made. Picking up Deadened Nerves instead of Focused Attacks (this would be mainly for 3v3) or dropping Heightened Senses to go 4/5 Dual Wield Specialization instead.

Glyphs:
    Mutilate
    Preparation
    Sprint
    Blurred Speed (optional)
    Distract
    Vanish

Subtlety(13/2/56):
    Spec:
    http://wow335.gamestool.net/roguet.p...21050135211251 is the Subtlety spec I prefer to use. There are a few points you could move around, but it picks up all the essential talents.Have left out two points from HAT coz of the bug . U can put it anywhere depending on your playstyle.

Gyphs:
    Preparation
    Shadow Dance
    Sprint
    Blurred Speed (optional)
    Distract
    Vanish

GEARING

*Hit cap is 164 (5%)*

There are certain item slots where the PvP-gear doesn’t really shine (due to their complete lack of Agility). Those slots are: Neck, Cloak, Rings, Weapons & Thrown. In other words, those are the slots where you will want to use PvE items.

Mutilate:
    You’ll want to pick up as much AP as you can, and having Crit/Haste or Hit (until Hit-capped) as a second stat will be your best choice. I value Crit & Haste the same, trying to somewhat balance them without getting to much of one or the other. Armor Penetration is not really a good choice, since a lot of the damage you’ll deal with this specs will be ignoring armor. I am using exactly 1000 Resilience with this spec, both in 2v2 and 3v3, and I’m really pleased with it so far, although one should not hesitate to equip some more versus certain comps, if it seems necessary.

Subtlety:
    This spec is great in the way that it is not really dependent on PvE-gear. In some cases, wearing full PvP-gear as Sub will give the most success. For replacing PvP-gear, you will want to go for the pieces which lack Agility as listed above. Basically, you’ll aim for the same stats as Mutilate, with the exception of replacing the desire of Haste with Armor Penetration. There is also the option to play Subtlety with a high Armor Penetration gear-set, this works great against some teams, but it will usually lower your Resilience a great amount (since you’ll need some PvE pieces to make it worth your while).

Gems:
    Meta: Relentless Earthsiege Diamond (+21 Agi/3% Crit Dmg) Red: Bright Cardinal Ruby (+40 AP) Yellow: Bright Cardinal Ruby (+40 AP) or Empowered Ametrine (+20 AP/10 Res) (depends on socket bonus and your Resilience) Blue: 1x Nightmare Tear (+10 Stats), rest Bright Cardinal Ruby (+40 AP) (usually placed in the blue socket in your legs) For Armor Penetration Sub, replace Bright Cardinal Ruby with Fractured Cardinal Ruby (+20 Armor Penetration) and fill yellow sockets with Mystic King’s Amber (+20 Resilience).

Enchants:
    Head: Arcanum of Triumph (+50 AP/20 Resi) / Arcanum of Torment (+50 AP/20 Crit) Shoulder: Inscription of Triumph (+40 AP/15 Resi) / Greater Inscription of the Axe (+40 AP/15 Crit) Cloak: Shadow Armor (+10 Agi and Stealth increase) Chest: Exceptional Resilience (+20 Resi) Bracers: Greater Assault (+50 AP) Gloves: Crusher (+44 AP) Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle Legs: Icescale Leg Armor (+75 AP/22 Crit) Boots: Greater Assault (+32 AP) or Icewalker (+12 Hit/+12 Crit) for Mutilate only. Tuskarr’s Vitality (+15 Sta and Run Speed Incrase) for Subtlety. Main Hand: Berserking (+400 AP proc) Off Hand: Titanium Weapon Chain (+28 Hit/-50% Disarm duration)

SPELLS AND ABILITYS
    Mutilate(Multilate Only):
    This is your bread-and-butter spell as Mutilate (obviously). You’ll use it a lot, so make sure you get a comfortable and quick keybind for it. Mutilate is what you will be using to build up combo points, every single time except when you Shiv, Gouge or use any of your openers.

Hemorrhage:
    (Subtlety only): While you use this spell a lot, you won’t use it like you use Mutilate. Subtlety has a stronger combo-builder spell, which is Backstab. However, Backstab requires you to be behind your enemy, while Hemorrhage doesn’t. This is what you’ll use when you’ll have trouble getting behind your target.

Backstab(Subt. Only):
    This is what you wanna try to use outside of Stealth and Shadow Dance as Subtlety. It is basically a weaker version ofAmbush.

Fient:
    Reduces AoE damage taken by 50%. Not really much to say, use it as you see fit, for example when a Dismantle on Bladestorm gets parried,dodged or simply misses.

Gouge:
    This spell has a lot more value when you are Subtlety. That is not to say it is worthless as Mutilate. Why is this? Cause you have Deadly Poison up on your target most of the time (which will break your Gouge early). Gouge is great for setting up kills, slowing down the pace and also for controlling the enemy team.

Shiv:
    Useful if you want to slow someone and can’t afford to rely on RNG (will always apply Crippling Poison unless resisted). Mutilate will benefit a bit more from this spell, since it will also Shiv Wound Poison to the target. Great spell against enemy rogues with Evasion.

Distract:
    Although the uses of this ability is kind of limited, it is nonetheless a great one. This spell is usually used before opening/sapping and also to interrupt drinking.

Preparation:
    This one pretty much speaks for itself. It resets almost all of your long CDs. Obviously, you should try to have all of your main CDs on cooldown before you use this.

Kick:
    Although this is a pretty straight-forward spell, the way you use it will matter greatly. Often, you’ll have to play mindgames with enemy casters. Do not kick too often and too early, don’t have patterns, don’t be predictable and use it when you have pressure (thus forcing them to cast).

Tricks Of the Trade:
    Not a lot fancy you can do with this spell. You’ll give your partner tricks when you’re going to burst basically, not really a lot more to it.

Cloak Of shadows:
    Probably your most important spell. This is the bane of wizards, this will cause them to cry endlessly (jk, globaled through cloak). What is so great about this spell, is that it can be used both offensively and defensively. A great idea is to ask your healer/partner if you need to use Cloak or have them call it out, so you do not overlap CDs. Also, letting your partners the CD remaining of your Cloak every now and then is recommended.

Dismantle:
    The slayer of Bladestorm. Will almost always last for 5 seconds instead of 10 due to either talents or Titanium Weapon Chain. Try to be behind your target when using this spell.

Vanish:
    Another extremely good spell. Again, can be used very effectively both offensively and defensively. This spell has a tendency to break(especially when you’re not used to it), but as you get more and more used when to vanish, you’ll find it to break less and less. Asking for Power Word: Shield if you’re playing with a Priest is a good idea before vanishing.

Blind:
    This is what most people will save trinket for. If someone uses their trinket on something else, it’s sometimes a good idea to swap to the target which has trinket and put the target who used trinket into a full Blind (usually followed up by a Sap or another CC). Make sure you don’t Blind a target with dots or bleeds.

Cold Blood:(Multilate only)
    This is your burst spell. Make sure to not use it mindlessly, use it in combination with Envenom when your enemies will have a hard time recovering from the massive damage that is sure to be delivered.

Sprint:
    What I think is a common mistake with Sprint is using it right out of the gates. Sprint is an awesome ability, with a rather high CD. I usually use it when I’m close to the Sap/Opening target, instead of straight out of the gates. This can of course be different if the enemy team contains stealthers, where it may be valuable to use it earlier (to avoid getting opened/sapped).

Evasion:
    Another spell which I think at times get used a bit mindlessly. Evasion is an amazing spell against every melee class (some more then others) against certain casters (vs Shadowfiend if facing wizards, for example). You should try to time/use it so that with Evasion you’ll avoid MS and stuns especially, during the time you’ve Evasion active.

Kidney Shot:
    Essential ability for the Rogue class. Not really much to say about this one, try to be behind your target to avoid having it getting dodged, parried or missed. Also, use it smartly (when rest of enemy team is CCed and your partners are able to nuke, or simply defensively to allow you and your partner to get away and eventually reset). Do not Kidney Shot at low energy, you will want to pool energy before using Kidney Shot (described later).

Envenom:(Multilate Only)
    Basically, if you’re not going to Kidney Shot, this is what you’ll use (besides Slice and Dice). It deals very high damage and ignores armor. Not much to say here either.

Slice and Dice:
    This is the perfect spell to use if you have 5 Combo Points on a target and you’re going to swap. Just Slice and Dice and move to your swap target. This is not to say that is the only usefulness of Slice and Dice. It’s also great for sustained damage, especially when you know you won’t get CCed.

Rupture:
    I don’t really use this at all besides against enemy Rogues and the occasional Feral Druid (to prevent re-stealths/Vanishes).

Eviscerate:
    This replaces Envenom for Subtlety. Only drawback is that it deals less damage against high-armor targets since it does not ignore armor, but it also has the benefit of providing great damage on clothies and leather-armored opponents. This spell is not completely worthless as Mutilate, it’s used if you have some major problems with your Deadly Poison and really are out of options while unable to Envenom.

Deadly Throw:
    Very simple spell, use it if you want to slow someone at range. Especially useful during enemy Rogue’s Cloak, where he’ll be kind of immune to be affected by Crippling Poison.

Expose Armor:
    Haven’t really used this for ages, it has a very limited use. Could be somewhat usable if you’re playing some kind of melee cleave in 3v3, but overall a very poor spell.

Fan of Knives:
    Usable for de-stealthing enemies and slowing people that are somewhat nearby, but still out of your melee range.

ShadowStep:
    This is the difference between Mutilate and Subtlety mobility. Awesome ability with a lot of use. Can be used to reachthe kill target, can be used to get around the pillar and the list goes on.

MACROS
    Blind/Focus Blind :

#showtooltip Blind
    /cast [nomodifier, target=target] Blind
    /cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Blind

Backstab:

#showtooltip Backstab
    /startattack
    /cast Backstab

ColdBlood Envenom:

#showtooltip Cold Blood
    /cast Cold Blood
    /cast Envenom

Distract:

#showtooltip Distract
    /cast !Distract

Focus ShadowStep:

#showtooltip Shadowstep
    /cast [target=focus] Shadowstep

Focus Dismantle:

#showtooltip Dismantle
    /cast [target=focus] Dismantle

Focus Kick:

#showtooltip Kick
    /cast [target=focus] Kick

Focus Gouge:
    #showtooltip Gouge
    /cast [target=focus] Gouge

Focus Sap:

#showtooltip Sap
    /cast [target=focus] Sap

Hemorrhage:

#showtooltip Hemorrhage
    /startattack
    /cast Hemorrhage

ClearTarget Sap Macro:

#showtooltip Sap
    /cleartarget
    /targetenemyplayer
    /cast Sap

Mutilate:

#showtooltip Mutilate
    /startattack
    /cast Mutilate

Tricks Of the trade:

#showtooltip Tricks of the Trade
    /cast [target=party1] Tricks of the Trade

Vanish :

#showtooltip Vanish
    /stopattack
    /cast Vanish
    /stopattack

FEW OTHER THINGS I MISSED OUT

Don’t spam abilities as soon as you get energy, try to save it up (without capping it) and do streaks of burst damage instead. This is known as pooling energy.

Try to predict your enemies next move. For example, if you manage to land a full Kidney Shot on the Rogue against Rogue/DPS and he still has his trinket left, chances are very high that he’ll trinket it. Since you knew this, you can just dismantle him right after you’ve kidney shot him. (Most Rogues will trinket and Evasion at this point, which makes a full dismantle pre-evasion very useful). Predicting trinkets is always useful, if you know someone is going to trinket the CC that you’re gonna put on them, you can ask your partner to follow it up, your target will trinket a CC just to get into another one instantly.

Communication is very important. This will just come natural after a while in most cases. Just telling your partner(s) the CD of certain cds, if you’re going for a re-stealth, let them know as well, else they might get caught in a bad position while you run away to get your re-stealth. Planning ahead, what you are going to do is probably the most important. Call out your stuns, gouges and other stuff, just keep your partner updated at all times. It’s very important that your partner is communicating back, playing with silent people makes it a lot harder usually.

Try to keep track of Diminishing Returns (DRs). There are certain AddOns that tracks this, but they are not really required. For example, it’s usually not a good idea to Blind straight after a Fear, since they do share DR (of course sometimes you may need to do a DR:ed Blind to actually survive).

Positioning is everything, whatever class you play. Keep track of your CDs, and be aware of your, your partner’s and your enemies position at all times. Do not follow your enemies behind a pillar, LoSing your partners if you aren’t 100% sure you won’t get gibbed behind. Also, if you do happen to Line of Sight your partner(s) (healer especially), he should be calling it out, allowing you to get back into a comfortable position in Line of Sight. If someone is positioned poorly, take advantage of it and make a hard swap to him or just put him into a long CC-chain.

Since Rogues are such a CD-dependent class, the way you use your CDs is very important. I just try to get the most out of every CD. Damage-enhancing CD:s such as Cold Blood are best used when the enemy team is already under pressure, but might also have to be used to force an aggressive team into a defensive position. Cloak-usage is really important as well. Using it offensively is fine in most situations, you just have to be aware by doing so, you’ve just set a giant target’s mark in your face. This means, you have to be aware, while your cloak is down, you’ll be a very viable target for the enemy team, so keeping a good position and not overexetending is absolutely crucial. I mentioned I want to get the most out of every CD, but there will be times where you will need to vanish a spell just to survive, even if it breaks instantly. Although those situations should try to be avoided, they will occur and you shouldn’t hesitate to use whatever CD:s needed to stay alive.

If you play Subtlety, try to keep track of your Cheat Death. Amazing talent, and knowing when it’s “ready” (1 minute CD) can help you make decisions regarding various things, mainly positioning.

Coordinating with your partners is always a good idea. If you’re facing a team with two dispelers, stunning one while fearing the other is an example of coordination. Just make sure you play as a team and not playing individual games.

Pillarhumping is something that you can often abuse as a Rogue and it will frustrate enemies to no end. This basically you means around the pillar with your partners, constantly going for re-stealths. Most enemies will feel forced to chase and keep you in combat, since letting a Rogue re-stealth can be very dangerous.

Even if your re-stealth breaks instantly, as Mutilate you’ll benefit greatly from it. The talent Overkill is simply amazing with 30% energy regeneration for 20 seconds, it’ll add a good bit of pressure.

X-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-X

Think thats it . Feel free to add anything i hv missed out :D

2. Is there a working site which could host your talent trees? I can't access the current links. Great guides though, thanks!

Edit: NVM, I grokked the URL and used DKPMinus' site to display it.

Mutilate Build: https://www.dkpminus.com/wotlk-talen...20000000000000

Subtlety Build: https://www.dkpminus.com/wotlk-talen...21050135211251

As a note, I'm a bit disappointed the Sub build doesn't go for the increased offhand damage (dual wield spec) in Combat. Then again, the focus is control and stunlock rather than straight DPS, I assume. Is that right?
    Edited: December 18, 2017

3. Someone remove those malicious links, I have just spent 2 hours removing the crap ransomwear that installed when my son clicked them

4. Someone remove those malicious links, I have just spent 2 hours removing the crap ransomwear that installed when my son clicked them
    And they're still there. Wow