First of all, you need to choose a race.
Choosing a race
[Stone Form - Reducing Damage taken by 10 per cent] (This is can be useful, but it is not that great)
[1% Increased Hit Chance, quite useful. Gift of the Naaru - Heals 20% of your maximum health on your current target]
is by far the best in the Alliance.
[Blood Fury - Increase Spell Power by 585. Reduced Stun Effects by 15%]
[War Stomp - Stun up to 5 enemies in 8 yards for 2 seconds. Base health increased by 5%]
[Berserking - Increase casting speed by 20%. Reduced Movement Impairing Effects by 15%. 10% of
total Health regeneration continues during combat]
[Rocket Barrage - Launch Rockets at your enemy (damage depends on your spellpower power).
Rocket Jump - Jumps forward, can be used in Ghost Wolf. 1% Haste Increase]
Many of these races are good for Shamans
. I play Tauren
for the stun.
Setting up your Character
(Ignore the Spirit Link Totem - That is from the latest retail patch, not in 4.0.6.)
Here is the Link
: Chest, Hands, Shoulders
: Head, Legs.
In this patch, the 4 Set Bonus decreases the cooldown of Grounding Totem
by 1.5 seconds, I don't find it to be that good. The extra +400 Resilience is better.
- All Restoration
- Rings: Spirit Ring and Hit Ring.
- Medallion of the Alliance/Insignia of the Horde.
- Blood of Isiset
(IMO the best Rare Trinket) / Darkmoon Card:Tsunami
(Amazing if you can get it)
- Main-Hand: PvP Spirit / Elementium Hammer
- Off-Hand: PvP Spirit Shield / Crepuscular Shield
- Brilliant [+40 Intellect]
- Brilliant [+67 Intellect, maximum of 3]
- Artful [+20 Intellect, +20 Mastery]
/ Reckless [20 Intellect, +20 Haste]
- Veiled [+20 Intellect, +20 Hit Rating]
/ Timeless [+20 Intellect, +30 Stamina]
- Ember Shadowspirit Diamond [+54 Intellect, 2% Maximum Mana]
/ Revitalizing Shadowspirit Diamond [+54 Spirit, 3% Increased Critical Healing Effect
Any of the following combinations will give you an extra 160 Intellect:
- Blacksmithing (Socket in Bracer and Glove)
- Leatherworking (Wrist enchat)
- Enchanting (Ring enchants)
- Jewelcrafting (Not advisable, getting the recipes are a mission)
- Inscription (Shoulder Inscription)
- Alchemy (Flask of Enhancement)
I use Enchanting
- Main-Hand: Power Torrent [+500 Intellect Proc for 12 seconds. It has an Internal CD of 45 seconds and the average proc rate is 33%]
- Off-Hand: Superior Intellect [+40 Intellect]
- Might Intellect / Draconic Embossment - Intellect [+130 Intellect] (If you have Leatherworking)
- Peerless Stats [+20 All Stats] / Might Resilience [+40 Resilience] (I prefer Peerless Stats)
- Superior Intellect [+50 Intellect]
- Greater Inscription of Vicious Intellect [+50 Intellect, +25 Resilience]
- Felfire Inscription (Inscription Profession) [+130 Intellect, +25 Haste]
- Arcanum of Vicious Intellect [+65 Intellect, +35 Resilience]
- Greater Mastery [+65 Mastery]
- Ebonsteel Belt Buckle [Socket: +40 Intellect]
- Powerful Enchanted Spellthread [+95 Intellect. +80 Stamina]
- Lavawalker [+35 Mastery, Minor Run Speed Increase (8%)]
- Intellect (Enchanting Profession) [+40 Intellect x2]
You need alot of Mastery
, for powerful heals when your target is at low health.
(Basically just mastery).
(Also effective as when you target is at low health and you have high mastery, you can crit heal insane
is explained in depth further down.
- Glyph of Earth Shield
- Glyph of Riptide
- Glyph of Earthliving Weapon
- Glyph of Hex
(For Arena) / Glyph of Chain Heal
- Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem
(Essential for PvP)
- Glyph of Healing Wave
/ Glyph of Grounding Totem
(I prefer not to use this Glyph as it
increases the cooldown of Grounding Totem
by 45 seconds.
- Glyph of Water Walking
(For Arena, so these buffs will be dispell/purged/stolen instead of more
- Glyph of Water Breathing
(For Arena, so these buffs will be dispell/purged/stolen instead of more
- Glyph of Renewed Life
/Glyph of the Arctic Wolf
(I prefer the wolf, looks awesome).
Second, you need to understand the basics.
work on a system of keeping up Shields and Totems and using the most efficient
spell depending on the situation.
- Undoubtedly Shamans best and most useful spell
- Nine Stacks of a shield which heals the target when they take damage.
- Should be kept on the target which is taking the most damage
- While this spell is on another target, keep up Water Shield
- Useful, long lasting HoT with low instant healing.
- Keep it up on multiple targets.
- Use it before you get into combat, and keep it on all targets.
- Essential as it gives the Tidal Waves
Healing Wave / Greater Healing Wave
- Low mana cost
- Only use when your target is at 75% HP
- Long casting time, so try to use it after casting Chain Heal
for the Tidal Waves
- Reduces the cast time of Healing Wave
and Greater Healing Wave
and increases critical heal chance on Healing Surge
- Instantly applies two stacks when you cast Riptide.
- Fast, high mana costing, effective heal
- Generally use when your target is at or below 50% HP, as it heals alot with high Mastery.
- With Mastery
, this spell is more effective the lower your targets HP
Unleash Elements (Earthliving)
- This spell heals for a small ammount, but increases the next healing spells effectiveness
you cast by 30%.
- Increases the potency of your direct healing spells by (x)%, bases on the current health level of your
target. Each point in mastery increase the potency by 3%.
- Lower health targets get healed for more, so it's good to have alot of Mastery
- Also procs Tidal Waves
- Better to use for Battleground's where you need to mass heal.
Thirdly, here is some useful things to do in Arenas.
- Imbue your weapon with Earthliving Weapon
, cast Earth Shield onto a target which is most likely
to take the most damage and cast Water Shield on yourself
- Cast Water Walking
and Water Breathing
on all team mates.
Shamans are good at kiting because of Ghost Wolf
, Earthbind Totem
, Spirit Walkers Grace
, Frost Shock
and Frostbrand Weapon
's Unleash Elements
- To kite effectively in Arenas
you need to run around an object (in Ghost Wolf
form as much as possible), such as a pillar in the Nagrand Arena, while keeping up Earthbind Totem
and if possible Frost Shock
on the enemy (also good to use Frostbrand Weapon
and Unleash elements
, but make sure you reapply Earthliving Weapon
- When using LoS to avoid CC's, if the CC is a spell which has a cast time , such as Cyclone
(or Mana Burn
), you don't need to get behind that object instantly, you can first use Wind Shear
to interrupt the spell, then on the second cast use Grounding Totem
, which absorbs the spell (or reflects the spellwith the Glyph of Grounding Totem
Make sure Riptide
and Earth Shield
are constantly up on your team mate(s) when you LoS to avoid CC and Mana Burn.
doesn't make you immune to Polymorph
, it only makes you immune to Mind Control
and Track Humanoids
You need different Totems, depending on the classes you play with:
: Stoneskin Totem
(Increased Armor), Flametongue Totem
(Increased Spellpower), Elemental Resistance Totem
(Increased Resistance) and Wrath of Air Totem
(5% Increased Spell Haste)
: Strength of Earth Totem
(Increased Strength and Agility), Flametongue Totem
(Increased Spellpower, for you), Elemental Resistance Totem
(Increased Resistance) and Windfury Totem
(5% Increased Melee Haste)
Set Call of the Ancestors
and Call of the Elements
. Use the Call of the Elements
setup for yourself.
- Use Mana Tide Totem
when you are out of your targets LoS.
- Use Earthbind Totem
for kiting and keeping enemies away from you team mates
- Make sure to keep Totems up as much as possible, don't make sure you don't over use Totems and OOM.
Shaman CC and Interrupts
- This is a useful macro:
/cast wind shear
If possible, you will Purge
an useful effect from the target you Wind Shear
- Wind Shear
is the most OP silence in the game, because of its short CD, so make sure to bind it to a simple key.
- Try to save Wind Shear
for Mana Burn
and other CC's.
is a quite effective CC. It can be used in conjunction with Natures Swiftness
for quick CC in certain situations.
is an awesome ability, which removes one useful effect from an enemy. It is very OP versus Restoration Druids that need to stack Lifebloom
. It is also good for, Avenging Wrath
and many instant cast abilities on other classes.
- Use your Insignia of the Horde/Medallion of the Alliance when you or your team mate is on Low
Health and does not have Earth Shield
up. If Earth Shield
is up, and you think he will survive
the damage he is taking before you can heal again, don't Trinket the first CC. Wait for another CC then
use your Trinket and heal up. If you are being attack by two Damage Classes and are getting
stun/silenced locked, use your Trinket on the second
- You need to know how to fake cast
- When you know you are about to receive a large ammount of damage, or have just received a
large ammount of damage, cast Stoneclaw Totem
. This will only be effective with the Glyph of
which gives you a damage absorbing shield. Make sure to put up another Totem
such as Earthbind Totem
once the shield has been depleted.
- Fake casting is really useful as a shaman, because while casting you take 10% less damage.
- The only spell to fake cast with is Healing Surge
- The more you practice this the better you will get.
- If you are going OOM and you are being attacked, put on Water Shield
and reapply it a few times after each stack has gone. You will be taking more damage because of this. You can then use Stoneclaw Totem
and reapply Earth Shield
when you are taking too much damage.
Lastly, you just need to get out there and practice the Rotations and get a feel for the class.
Practice in Arenas, Battlegrounds and Duels.
Enjoy Restoration Shaman
Thanks for reading, I hope this guide helped you