1. Whats this sunshine everyone keeps going on about?

I keep hearing how warm it is in Belgrade during summer and I think if I were to go during summer (for my first holiday :3) I'd proberbly melt.
    I can relate to that... I was melting in L.A during the summer. I'm basically a polar bear, I love the cold. The weather there was torture Q_Q. I hope visiting the east coast in March will be a better experience weather wise, it seems a lot colder, which is nice.

2. wait
    this is what makes it a bad language?

http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/20...eal-world.html
    look at the first one. 92% of android apps are written in Java. There are currently 1.4 billion devices running android right now
    The link wasn't a reason. lol
    Just a display of how impractical it is these days.
    Java has too many flaws for it not to be replaced by better languages; html5.
    Just because it isn't ideal in browsers makes it a bad language, it is really easy to write and you don't really have to deal with allocating and freeing memory. It also runs on any OS.
    It isn't "ideal" is an understatement. And yeah, it's an easy to learn language, but going from Java to any other language is really difficult. Hell, even going from C to Java is a mind**** all in its own.

But I guess I shouldn't be posting these sorts of things on that subject, considering just how much heated debate there is about the language in the programming community. Some treat it like it's the holy grail, while others consider it an outdated POS. It's something that's really difficult to stay indifferent to for a large number of people (most either love it or hate it), so for that reason, I'm not going to comment on it further. Especially knowing how you like to get in discussions such as this.

3. If you don't work in the field, what could you use a programming language for? I only randomly learned JavaScript and made some text-based games with it. Should I bother learning something new? I don't like working with computers though.

4. The link wasn't a reason. lol
    Just a display of how impractical it is these days.
    Java has too many flaws for it not to be replaced by better languages; html5.

It isn't "ideal" is an understatement. And yeah, it's an easy to learn language, but going from Java to any other language is really difficult. Hell, even going from C to Java is a mind**** all in its own.

But I guess I shouldn't be posting these sorts of things on that subject, considering just how much heated debate there is about the language in the programming community. Some treat it like it's the holy grail, while others consider it an outdated POS. It's something that's really difficult to stay indifferent to for a large number of people (most either love it or hate it), so for that reason, I'm not going to comment on it further. Especially knowing how you like to get in discussions such as this.
    Java is used much more than just in the web, I think you think it only is. The only downside to Java is it is slow, but it is portable to every OS without much reprogramming. I have not heard of anyone that hate java except for what it does on the web, and i've talked to google engineers that used it at work and computer scientists at national laboratories that used it daily. C is hard for anyone to understand because of pointers.
    If you don't work in the field, what could you use a programming language for? I only randomly learned JavaScript and made some text-based games with it. Should I bother learning something new? I don't like working with computers though.
    Radvo and I are both computer science students.

5. Radvo and I are both computer science students.
    That was pretty obvious for me. I am asking for myself. I definitely won't work in the field, so it there any use to learn a language? Other than a hobby of course.
    I have written a text-based RPG and my friends loved it but there's only so much I can do with what I know. If I want to develop a mobile game in my free time on my own resources, what languages would I need to learn?

6. That was pretty obvious for me. I am asking for myself. I definitely won't work in the field, so it there any use to learn a language? Other than a hobby of course.
    I have written a text-based RPG and my friends loved it but there's only so much I can do with what I know. If I want to develop a mobile game in my free time on my own resources, what languages would I need to learn?
    You can use it to automate things, and can be handy for mathematics sometimes. Matlab or something like that would probably be your best bet for math but it costs money. A lot of what it does is reading data and acting on that, if you're doing some sort of file manipulation that's fairly tedious and you do it a lot then you might want to look into it. Depending on what you want to do there might be an open source project that you could look into, all emulators that I know of are open source and Android is open source. I can't really think of much better right now, sorry. I'm pretty tired.

For making a mobile game, i would probably recommend using a game engine such as Unity which uses C#(Pronounced C-Sharp if you didn't know) or Javascript. You can also use Unreal engine and then there's a few other ones, but Unity is what a ton of mobile games are made with. They are all free unless you are making money, unreal engine is 5% of the money you make after $3000 per quarter and unity is free until you make $100,000 from your app in a year.

7. If you don't work in the field, what could you use a programming language for? I only randomly learned JavaScript and made some text-based games with it. Should I bother learning something new? I don't like working with computers though.
    Become a Robin Hood hackor.

8. At what point does a widely shared opinion become factual?

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...bling-plugins/
    So just because Chrome is trying to banish Java it means that everyone will?

Java is even used to code parking meters, btw.

That was pretty obvious for me. I am asking for myself. I definitely won't work in the field, so it there any use to learn a language? Other than a hobby of course.
    Well you can always change your mind about your career and having more doors open never hurts. Being a "computer whiz" (aka, knowing how to work Office, basic cmd prompt commands, a bit of networking, etc, really basic stuff) will make you shine at any 9 to 5.
    Edited: January 14, 2016

9. Java is like BitCoins... people who use it and like it treat it like a fandom, while the rest of the world moves on with the other options.

10. I was taught Python at university in my first year.

Python so boring...

11. Everyone in here is a programmer, and I though I'm special.
    You guys ruin my dreams.

12. Everyone in here is a programmer, and I though I'm special.
    You guys ruin my dreams.
    You must feel like me when I first got to college and I realized I was no longer the best programmer (I don't like that term, I'm not a programmer, just know how to code..) in my school.

#feelsbadman
    -----------
    They fixed queue skipping on lordaeron.
    #feelsworseman

13. Everyone in here is a programmer, and I though I'm special.
    You guys ruin my dreams.
    Please.. we're not programmers... we're coders..

I like code, I enjoy SQL, but thats databasing. And playing around with some LUA is always fun.

14. Please.. we're not programmers... we're coders..
    Is that really a thing with kids these days? Like the South Park thing with Goths vs. Emos vs. Vampires?

15. ITT: people who have no idea what java is used for besides one use and never used java telling people that know and use java that they are wrong. Just like every other argument these people get in