1. 2 Weeks Ago  
    DND?
    I had been playing a level 5 Death Cleric.
    Just this week, made myself a new Bard. Waiting to see if I'll do anything with it.

2. 2 Weeks Ago  
    DND?
    I had been playing a level 5 Death Cleric.
    Just this week, made myself a new Bard. Waiting to see if I'll do anything with it.
    D&D 5e indeed.

Hope your bard wont be one of those that appear on memes quite a lot.

Clerics are so interesting! Hoping to hop back into playing one once again. Had a Life domain one for a short time (lvl 1-8). Would've had him for longer, if party didn't take him for granted. Party seemed to expect him to be there for them always. Even while they picker with each other, cast spells on each other (Frequent Friendly Fire), another PC even ran from a fight.. Let's argue and use spells at each other, while in lair of BBEG. Then there's the case of stealing from my PC. Fun part is that my PC did loot a magical ring, but was thinking whom to give it to.. Left without goodbyes few days later. I mean, if you steal from a spellcaster, at least hide it from your person, when one can cast Locate Object to find the thought to be lost missing ring.

Tbh.. Glad that the campaign is quite dead now, as it was going into comical levels of stupidity and self-centered lust for power..

I don't know how people expect others (PC's) to stick around while treating them like garbage.

3. 2 Weeks Ago  
    I haven't had to deal with that, fortunately. I did have to deal with tragic loss, though. My cleric was originally a peace cleric, but my DM was allowing us to remake our characters however we wanted up until level 5. The session before we were to level to 5, another PC that was very close to my own was murdered, and I took the opportunity to convert the character into a death cleric. In the following session the next week, I hadn't told anyone but the DM about the change. We ended up in a pretty big fight and the group was expecting me to heal. Instead, I sucked the life out of someone and then followed up by turning them into a zombie. It was quite the WTF moment for them and I ended up having a lot of fun with that session as a result.

4. 2 Weeks Ago  
    We ended up in a pretty big fight and the group was expecting me to heal. Instead, I sucked the life out of someone and then followed up by turning them into a zombie. It was quite the WTF moment for them and I ended up having a lot of fun with that session as a result.

What kind of party are you playing with atm?

We got:
    Half-Orc Moon Druid |That's me, yay
    Vedalken Divination Wizard
    Pallid Elf Soulknife Rogue - Swarmkeeper Ranger (3/2)
    Protection Aasimar Order Cleric
    Kobold Conjuration Wizard

This new campaign is certainly more enjoyable all around, major improvement to quality and effort put into RP, world- and character building. Party members are forming friendships and bonding for a change. Enjoying my time in wild shape, being the damage sponge for enemy hits.. Some reveals from my own backstory waiting around the corner, combined with bigger lore drop (by the DM) for the rest of the players.

5. 2 Weeks Ago  
    My current party looks like this.

Human Death Cleric (myself)
    Orc Barbarian
    Warforged Paladin
    Protector Aasimar Celestial Sorceror

6. 1 Week Ago  
    Half-Orc Moon Druid |That's me, yay
    Vedalken Divination Wizard
    Pallid Elf Soulknife Rogue - Swarmkeeper Ranger (3/2)
    Protection Aasimar Order Cleric
    Kobold Conjuration Wizard
    Human Death Cleric (myself)
    Orc Barbarian
    Warforged Paladin
    Protector Aasimar Celestial Sorceror
    I remember when it would be just Dwarf Fighters, Half-Elf Bards, Human Paladins and so on.
    Soon Genderfluid will be a class and Snowflake a race.

7. 1 Week Ago  
    I remember when it would be just Dwarf Fighters, Half-Elf Bards, Human Paladins and so on.
    I think that's what you expect, and experience when you begin to play. Then you play on for an year or longer, and want to try different race and class combos eventually, especially when better half of your party consists of elves. Vanilla ice-cream is nice, but add chocolate chips, or strawberry in the mix and it looks and tastes better while being more tempting.
    It's nice that there are extra options for races, while at the same time I kinda want to keep it simple. I guess there are also those who want some 'unique' race to play.

Dwarf Fighters, Half-Elf Bards, Human Paladins are stereotypical min-max options. Glad that that boat is sailing away, making room for less stereotypical/expected race/class combos, without shooting yourself in the foot with +2 CHA +1 INT for your Monk that needs Wisdom/Dexterity/Constitution. It's numbers game in the end, and those numbers matter more than your skill to RP when your standing on a grid. Those numbers could even prevent that, or turn that situation on your favor.

8. 1 Week Ago  
    My mistake, didn't realize you were talking about Roll Playing Games.
    What's the bonus for being a unique Snowflake?

9. 1 Week Ago  
    What's the bonus for being a unique Snowflake?
    Depends on snowflake. Some snowflakes have more appeal depending on chosen class, setting style and other circumstances. It's like playing Human only for the sake of EMFH when you know you're going to PvP mostly.

Why do people want to be different from one another. What's better way to get attention than being a snowflake? Or they just see a race/class they think it's cool and chooses to play that.

10. 1 Week Ago  
    It's like playing Human only for the sake of EMFH when you know you're going to PvP mostly.
    Almost forgot we're talking about Roll Playing, not Role Playing, again.

Why do people want to be different from one another.
    To emphasize their individuality. Which, and this is gonna rock your world, people manage to do while all being just humans!

What's better way to get attention than being a snowflake?
    Style, fashion, intelligence, humor, athletics, personality... just like people manage to be different while humans, they also - for the most part - don't snowflake their way into attention, because it's common knowledge that snowflaking is an admittance that you have nothing to offer worth any attention. Sad days when snowflaking becomes the go-to choice in RPGs.

11. 1 Week Ago  
    To emphasize their individuality. Which, and this is gonna rock your world, people manage to do while all being just humans!
    It is done, it can be done, I've seen it done, surprised you as much as that rocked my world. When you (not you you) are shy/inexperienced about RP'ing, easy choice/option to become different, or more flashy, is via interesting race choice. Often a poor choice, as now you have something cool without much on the inside, and looks alone can get you so far.
    We are all humen irl (maybe not some, idk), so not entirely unheard of that some may go for most 'flashy' options. Some play whatever they feel like playing, and I'm fine with that.

Sad days when snowflaking becomes the go-to choice in RPGs.
    I don't think that'll happen, or maybe it already happened in MMORPG's. We have transmogrification, we have titles, we weapon skins, we have character skins.. Just to look bit different, and slap a title to brag about how cool and awesome they are, or were.

But in non-MMO:
    I'd wager people go through a snowflake phase before realizing, that they don't really need to do that flashy and exotic character to stand out. Next thing they'll do is make a Human (not even variant) Fighter with Soldier background and actually make it an interesting character. Not because it's flashy, but because there's character in that human fighter.

And then there are those who'd make Loxodon Scout Rogue-Ranger with Outlander background to cheese their way through survival themed campaign. I guess it would be fun to roll high thanks to expertise, and with advantage if it's done to smell something. Though you probably have party member assisting you anyway..

There are many types of players, as long as you have fun on the table. Spotlight hogging isn't that much fun though..

12. 1 Week Ago  
    I like to make interesting characters that I think could make interesting twists on roleplay. I stick almost exclusively to playing a Human though. I've had people ask me, and even make fun of me, for playing something they see as plain and boring when I have so many other options to choose from. I just don't like the aesthetics of anything more than I do humans.

13. 1 Week Ago  
    It is done, it can be done, I've seen it done, surprised you as much as that rocked my world.
    No, it isn't a matter of is and can be done. People manage to be individuals because they are individuals. It's not something that takes any effort or special skills. Even copycats can't help being individuals with their own traits, even professional trenders pick and choose the combination of trends they will slipstream.

When you (not you you) are shy/inexperienced about RP'ing, easy choice/option to become different, or more flashy, is via interesting race choice.
    I've never seen that. Shy and inexperienced players are the ones who assign themselves a backseat so they can learn and be drawn in by others. They tend to make the most simple characters because they don't know what they're doing even with that, much less with a Genderfluid Quasidemipolysolobubblebuttercutnonamorous Snowflake who throws sharp sugar canes. They inherently are already different due to the fact they are shy and inexperienced, they don't need to overcompensate.

Of course, I haven't played with Zoomers, so I might be (thankfully) out of date on that.

We are all humen irl (maybe not some, idk), so not entirely unheard of that some may go for most 'flashy' options. Some play whatever they feel like playing, and I'm fine with that.
    I'm not fully blaming the players. At one point in time is was innocent enough, with Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms just having a few subraces that just gave flavor for the same race to have variations in culture. The system being turned into this circus and encouraging that crap has a lot of the blame as well. Not surprising when they also begin de-characterizing orcs and drow because some lunatic whined that they are "racial stereotypes."

I don't think that'll happen, or maybe it already happened in MMORPG's. We have transmogrification, we have titles, we weapon skins, we have character skins.. Just to look bit different, and slap a title to brag about how cool and awesome they are, or were.
    MMOs aren't actual RPGs, despite that being in the name. They are "CRPGs," which just describe a style of game that comes with a set of expected mechanics, that's all. Some people can RP there, but that's freeforming, and that's the realm of dragons having sex with pixies in the town square.

14. 1 Week Ago  
    This conversation really didn't need to take the snowflake route. DND is fantasy. I don't see the "snowflake" argument being an appropriate complaint about fantasy, especially when it comes to things like playing an Aasimar, or a Dragon, or a Warforged, or things to that effect. There's no sense in insulting people for liking something different than what you may not be interested in.

15. 1 Week Ago  
    There's no sense in insulting people for liking something different than what you may not be interested in.
    There's no sense in Dungeons & Dragons turning into Safespaces & Snowflakes, so we're even.