Nucklez

Am I on the right track for PVP?

Hey guys, I'm curious if I'm on the right track for Enhancement Shammy PVP. Yes yes, I've read the total hell out of the guides here, and Elitist Jerks is rough for the casual reader but a great resource none the less. I would also like to throw in a big THANK YOU to L3g10nw for his EXCELLENT guide!

I'm a very casual player, and just started playing again since WOTLK. I finally gave in and decided that my Relentless gear is severely obsolete, so I used my 1337 leather working skills to build myself a set of Bloodied Dragonscale. Yes, I know it sux, and I sux because of it but we have to start somewhere right? I picked Bloodied because of the resilience, but the lack of gem slots is quite painful. I currently get around 4k DPS max on the heroic training dummies, and a pitiful 2k or less in BG. Here is my current moves when I fight someone:

* While running in, I Frost Shock then spam StormStrike /startattack macro until I make contact.
    * Drop totems (Stoneclaw, Searing, Elemental Resist, Wind Fury), then drop Earthbind
    * Unleash Elements, FlameShock
    * Lightning/GHeal on Maelstrom, and Lava Lash on 5 stack of Searing totem
    * EarthShock when shocks are off cool down and target still has FlameShock.

I use WF/FT. Truthfully, I think I'm getting to the point where I need to start determining the class I'm up against and specializing. Such as, stay away from DKs and Rogues (back stabbing sons of #$!#@) and go after the Locks and Mages and Priests first.

Here is my current newb armory, all haste has been reforged to hit to get my 5%.
    http://armory.molten-wow.com/character-profile/Nuckz/Neltharion/

I guess the idea is to keep spamming BattleGrounds and buy the current Honor based gear, then hit up arenas for the conquest gear. That is what I'm doing now, but the "OMFG LOWBIE, NEWB and [Insert Alliance Name Here] dances with Nuckz" comments still tends to hurt a little sometimes. :) Thanks for any suggestions up front! Have fun!

durham
    dont forget about:
    spell penetration: 3x Stormy Ocean Sapphire + back enchant 70 spell penetration
    enha best stats for pvp are in this order:
    hit > spell penetration > agil > mastery > crit - no haste (the more haste you have > fast weapon swing > few WF procs)
    enha shamy must kitty his targets (vs mele)
    good luck gearing your tone, practice in bg

Nucklez
    dont forget about:
    spell penetration: 3x Stormy Ocean Sapphire + back enchant 70 spell penetration
    enha best stats for pvp are in this order:
    hit > spell penetration > agil > mastery > crit - no haste (the more haste you have > fast weapon swing > few WF procs)
    enha shamy must kitty his targets (vs mele)
    good luck gearing your tone, practice in bg
    Ahh, I didn't think about the haste issue. I've noticed I don't get too many WF procs, so the bit of haste I do have is probably hurting me pretty bad. That makes since. So, 220 Spell Pen should be good enough then? I'll work on that as well. Thanks!

4. Duel outside the capital city to get the hang of particular classes.

Remember to purge and wind shear.

5. Duel outside the capital city to get the hang of particular classes.

Remember to purge and wind shear.
    I second that

Nucklez
    Ahh, yes. I'm getting better at the Purge/Windsheer macro. I need to use it more! :) I'll try dueling outside too, I haven't done that in a while. Thanks for the help guys!

Kazegaro
    Hi
    About WF proc i think its bugged right now.
    First, when facing melee clases you start with frost shock for the root, unleash elements and dispel, then drop totems (i put down stoneclaw with glyphs for dmg absorb then SoET, searing, healing stream and WF totem) and stormstrike. If you are snared drop earthbind (with the talent) and kite (use flame shock) and get some heals (optional). If they are bursting you get up shamanistic rage and pop wolves for the stun and try to kite or if you cant kite swap your off hand with a shield and stack MW for heals(use Earth Shock for the debuff). If you want too burst, see if at the begining of the fight you are doing some good dmg then use agi trinket, pop wolves and SS- LL for the most burst dmg then shock (Earth Shockor flame shock). Bursting is a little bit hard right know beacuse some talents that buff LL aren't working so you wont hitt that hard but you will do well.

When facing casters stonce claw totem 1st, then UE (you can use frost brand for extra snares) drop buff totems and dispel. try to see what is the next movement of your oponent (like a poly from a mage or maybe if he cast frostbolt) so you can go defensive or offeensive. When you are in melee range SS and LL. For frost mages, use earthbind totem with talent to remove the snare, when you are in deep freeze use SR(better with the glyph), if you are rooted use wind shear for frost bolts and grounding (try to anticipate his burst or deep freeze with grounding). If you are going to burst, dispel all the shields and use wolves (use spirit walk for breaking roots) and frost shock for gap closer, then SS LL and your usual rotation (include trinket). Remember to purge when u can and also wind shear wisely (fear, poly, when they are bursting, etc; and dont fall in fake casts).

Always refresh stoneclaw for the dmg absorb and purge. Use hex for extra cc in burst, as an interrupt or to heal while the enemy is cced.
    Well thats it how i usually do (obviously resumed xD) so hope i helped you with this few advices.

Nucklez
    Thanks hemal, do you have a suggestion on how to execute Unleash Elements? If I run into them with StormStrike, I can spam the hot key that I have macroed with cast stormstrike and /startattack. That starts my white attacks, and StormStrike will just sit back and wait on me to reach my target while I run up. I've tried that with UE, but it will do some weird animation and start the cool down without actually doing anything if I'm not within range. I could do two hotkeys, one for /startattack and one for UE I guess, but it seems odd that UE will just go DERP and pop a cool down with that stupid arm wavey animation and nothing else. :) I also never use LL, so I need to work on when to sneak that in.

I also recently learned to pop BloodLust when we're in a big group battle. "NOOB SHAMAN DIDN'T USE BL!" I love how the Battle Ground community is so helpful and understanding.

I do need to get my grounding totem hotkeyed and work on anticipating those spells.

I'm thinking I should separate my Purge/Windsheer macro, it's starting to feel like I need them on their own cool downs for different situations.

I'm not completely understanding why it's good to swap my off hand for a shield. For the added defense? Does it help for not interrupting my heals? I've seen a few guides mention the shield, but I don't' really get it.

I need to research SR more as well. I was under the impression it removed all snares, but it doesn't seem to work VS fear. I'll try it with deep freeze next time, thanks! I also keep forgetting that EB totem will release me from snares. I hate hate hate snares, I really need to get all of this on second nature. :)

9. You will get mostly practice in duel.You haven't played wow since wotlk.Pvp changes a bit, but it's not big difference.
    Enha stats priority:
    hit cap>spell cap>resil>agility>mastery>crit>haste(haste is the worst stat on cata for enha shamans)

rotation:
    -put totems(SoTE,Searing,HS,WT)
    -open with Stormstrike
    -earth shock if fightning melee, frost shock if range(if you can root them, it will bring big advantage on begining)
    - UE(be sure to use it when you are near target, so you wont waste haste buff from UE-windfury)
    -Lava Lash when 5 stacks of Searing Flames are up
    -Lightning Bolt or Greater Healing Wave if you need hp
    -repeat rotation

Cds:
    Do not waste your Shamanistic Rage, it's our last hope.Use glyph for SR, it helps alot.
    Use wolves wisely, they help you with their dmg, and you will be healed for each hit they land.(You can use wolves both defensively and offensively) Use their speed only when you are rooted/frozen to get rid of that.
    Put your GND totem on critical spells(on ex. ground mages shatter, locks Chaos Bolt, priests Mind Blast or Vampiric Touch), do not waste your GND!

Remember: purge>rotation(if you see that you are going oom too fast, don't bother too much with purge, purge major buffs only)

Kazegaro
    Thanks hemal, do you have a suggestion on how to execute Unleash Elements? If I run into them with StormStrike, I can spam the hot key that I have macroed with cast stormstrike and /startattack. That starts my white attacks, and StormStrike will just sit back and wait on me to reach my target while I run up. I've tried that with UE, but it will do some weird animation and start the cool down without actually doing anything if I'm not within range. I could do two hotkeys, one for /startattack and one for UE I guess, but it seems odd that UE will just go DERP and pop a cool down with that stupid arm wavey animation and nothing else. :) I also never use LL, so I need to work on when to sneak that in.

I also recently learned to pop BloodLust when we're in a big group battle. "NOOB SHAMAN DIDN'T USE BL!" I love how the Battle Ground community is so helpful and understanding.

I do need to get my grounding totem hotkeyed and work on anticipating those spells.

I'm thinking I should separate my Purge/Windsheer macro, it's starting to feel like I need them on their own cool downs for different situations.

I'm not completely understanding why it's good to swap my off hand for a shield. For the added defense? Does it help for not interrupting my heals? I've seen a few guides mention the shield, but I don't' really get it.

I need to research SR more as well. I was under the impression it removed all snares, but it doesn't seem to work VS fear. I'll try it with deep freeze next time, thanks! I also keep forgetting that EB totem will release me from snares. I hate hate hate snares, I really need to get all of this on second nature. :)
    Yeah, i use a stormstrike macro with startattack in it like this:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Stormstrike
    /startattack [harm]

I mostly use UE to snare and kite (with frostbrand in offhand) sometimes swaping offhand enchant with flametongue for some burst (vs melee most of the times). About BL, for example, when im defending a base in Arathi Basin with a friend there are sometimes when incoming are bigs and BL make a huge difference for extra burst and a good extra haste for healers, so dont doubt to much about using it.
    About the shield swaping i mostly use it just for the extra armor and some blocked white attacks, i do think that its useful vs a rogue bursting you so you can try it in duels and see if its useful to you.
    When you use SR with the glyph it dispels all the magic debuffs (i think that just the stuns like hammer of justice and deep freeze and all the dots that are magic debuffs) but it doesnt work with fears and repetance; but you have to be careful because there are some magic debuffs that, if dispelled, will have an extra effect like Unstable affliction or Living bomb so use SR wisely.
    And at last, about purge and wind shear in the same macro, yeah i think that you have to use them separately.
    Good luck!