1. There are ways to avoid this and manipulate it so that you can actually chain 3 Hotstreak procs in a row but it is important to be use to your cast times. Example of chain hotstreaks (assuming all crits for this to happen, also works with TTW): apply LB, FFB, FFB, FFB, FFB (clipped with HS), FFB (Clipped with HS), FFB (Clipped with HS). The reason this works is because Hotstreak does not proc until the spell hits the targets hitbox, rather than at casting. So your first 2 FFBs give a hotstreak, then that wont be overrode until 2 more crits hit the target, so if you clip your 4th FFB before it hits the target, then the 4th FFB will give you a new hotstreak which you use on the next FFB. When the 5th FFB hits, LB should explode to give another hotstreak which you can use to immediately clip another FFB.
    Regarding hotstreak chaining, in the same hypothetical situation:
    LB, FB,FB (Hotstreak), FB, FB-Pyro (New Hotstreak) and so on

What usually happens to me is that this chaining can go on, for quite a bit. I time it so my living bomb explosion will give me a new hotstreak, and I can keep chaining hotstreaks, even after LB expired.

My question is, do I interrupt the chain to refresh LB, or do I keep chaining hotstreaks until I don't get 2 crits in a row, and then refresh LB?

2. Love your guide, helped me alot. Currently gearing up my mage (4.5k GS right now) and doing 4.5k dps in 5-mans, around 6.5K in 25-mans. I was wondering if there is a clear sign when I should switch from arcane to fire in order to increase my DPS? I'm a bit worried because most mages I come across with better gear (5k+ GS) are almost always FIRE specced but usually deal less DPS. My armory: http://armory.warmane.com/character/...ecrown/summary

thanks a lot!

3. Hello and thanks for a rly solid body of work. I do have a question though. Why do u recommend for LB/FFB spec to glyph for Fireball and then leave it out of rotation? AFAIK Scorch does help with proc on Hot Streak and has 1/3rd the cast time of Fireball. I'd love to get the extra dmg from Fireball but it's cast time seems prohibitive and the glyph is a mere 0.1 sec reduction while the Scorch glyph is a +20% boost.

4. My question is, do I interrupt the chain to refresh LB, or do I keep chaining hotstreaks until I don't get 2 crits in a row, and then refresh LB?
    I would refresh Living Bomb and break the chain. I have pretty horrible RNG when it comes to crits, so I have to assure myself of the Living Bomb one to get the pyro proc :)
    Also with the longer casting time, the more phased your crits will be so you might risk dropping Ignite.

Love your guide, helped me alot. Currently gearing up my mage (4.5k GS right now) and doing 4.5k dps in 5-mans, around 6.5K in 25-mans. I was wondering if there is a clear sign when I should switch from arcane to fire in order to increase my DPS? I'm a bit worried because most mages I come across with better gear (5k+ GS) are almost always FIRE specced but usually deal less DPS. My armory: http://armory.warmane.com/character/...ecrown/summary

thanks a lot!
    If you play Arcane well it can perform amazing in end game gear too :)
    Arcane is a lot more forgiving when you don't have enough from its most vital stat (haste).
    But to be able to do effective dps in fire spec, you need at least 40-50% fire crit chance, self buffed only. You need this to proc pyroblast often enough to do high dps.
    The only gear requirement for fire is 2 piees of t10, because of the haste buff it can provide, it would make your dps fly :)

Why do u recommend for LB/FFB spec to glyph for Fireball and then leave it out of rotation?
    I recommend you to read the glyph section again:

TTW Fire:

Glyph of Fireball
    Glyph of Living Bomb
    Glyph of Molten Armor

Yes glyph of fireball removes the damage over time portion of fireball, however the reduced cast time which the glyph gives increases dps more than keeping the DoT effect of fireball.

LB FFB:

Glyph of Frostfire
    Glyph of Living Bomb
    Glyph of Molten Armor
    Edited: December 12, 2016

5. For the question about refresh a LB which proc in a chain of Pyro proc, to my mind the best thing to do (if you have a standard amount of crit (as fire Mage) which is around 65-70℅ real crit on boss, or when have a really good crit (about 75%+ of real crit on boss) ) an a amount of haste over 650 :
    Play at 30+ feets from the boss, After LB crit which proc HS, finnish your FB casting then refresh your LB then use tout HS proc to lauch the Pyro avaible then cast a new FB, the purpose of this modification is that if you are enough far away from your target and you are a good spammer your first FB will hit the boss after you have launch you Pyro, in this way you will not loose an HS proc and maximum your LB Uptime

Tiny.
    Edited: December 14, 2016

6. talent Shatter and Frostbite work on bosses? I know that boss cant be frozen but what i want to know is " does Frostbite proc on boss but it isnt rooting him and after that Shatter should increase crit %" or that isnt working that way

7. simply question big DPS always in top list but dmg done sux most of time last 😀

8. I have used this and Mage guides just like this for almost 5 years since I like to check for bugginess effectts on each server/realm. My question is on Hit Rate. I am and have always been LB FFB and 11% plus 3% from Talents has worked everywhere just fine. On Warmane Lordaeron I have 13.9% PLUS 3% from gear/gems/chants and recount says I miss a LOT!!

I often get like 38% Hit on FFB FFS. My DPS is horrible for my GS. Is Warmane Lordaeron increased Hit Rate requirement? Please help me, I'm desperate to get back to what I'm used to.

9. For the question about refresh a LB which proc in a chain of Pyro proc, to my mind the best thing to do (if you have a standard amount of crit (as fire Mage) which is around 65-70℅ real crit on boss, or when have a really good crit (about 75%+ of real crit on boss) ) an a amount of haste over 650 :
    Play at 30+ feets from the boss, After LB crit which proc HS, finnish your FB casting then refresh your LB then use tout HS proc to lauch the Pyro avaible then cast a new FB, the purpose of this modification is that if you are enough far away from your target and you are a good spammer your first FB will hit the boss after you have launch you Pyro, in this way you will not loose an HS proc and maximum your LB Uptime

Tiny.
    You are wrong about the range. You should be as close as possible. Yes, the 30+ range will give you more clean (not confusing) hot streaks but it's devastating to your ignite, and ignite is usually a DPS winner
    Edited: February 17, 2017

10. You are wrong about the range. You should be as close as possible. Yes, the 30+ range will give you more clean (not confusing) hot streaks but it's devastating to your ignite, and ignite is usually a DPS winner
    yes if you stop spamming, but as a good caster you have to be always on casting =)
    so your damages are just offset, so no impact on your ignite,
    moreover with technological advences since original wotlk, ignite muching doesn't exist anymore, and whatever ignite is a dot which stack, so i really don't know where you find a problem on being far away from the boss.
    I my mind :
    Positives aspects to be at range : ++ have clean HS; + be isolate from other raiders and so reduce the chance you have to be undisposed by boss attacks like puddles aoe etc.
    Positive aspect to be at melee : + Goblins Saper charge (but a good player can moove really quickly at melee to place them every 5 minutes) + You can place some "white" hit with your weapon.
    My feeling on this question, be at range is really more usefull and powerfull then be at melee.
    I play my mage since a really long time, and really, DPSing at range isn't an issue and don't impact your ignite damages, assuming you play good =)

Tiny.

PS : I have seen your forum title, means you are in a really good pve guild, so don't think i'm condescent in my answer, it's just my point of view, moreover you can meet me in the horde and we can chat then you will probabily change your state of mind. If we can speak more about it. (my dps is not bad btw and i play most of time at range (except Sindy, and LK Phase 1 and 2)).
    Edited: February 17, 2017

11. You are wrong about the range. You should be as close as possible. Yes, the 30+ range will give you more clean (not confusing) hot streaks but it's devastating to your ignite, and ignite is usually a DPS winner
    Ignite's damage has next to nothing to do with your range from the enemy.

12. You can "trick" the gcs if you cast Scorch first, and then LB, this way you will have to wait only one GCD. (After you casted LB.)
    People seem to think that there's a difference between Scorch > LB and LB > Scorch but there really isn't. Let's say that you have Scorch on 1.5 sec. In that case your GCD is 1.5 sec as well. First case is Scorch > LB : 1.5+1+5=3 sec in total. Second case is LB > Scorch : 1.5+1.5=3 sec in total. Whether you do first LB > Scorch or Scorch > LB depends on the priority. LB has higher prio therefore you cast LB > Scorch if there's no warlock with the improved shadowbolt talent specced, otherwise you go LB > Fireball etc

13. Regarding hotstreak chaining, in the same hypothetical situation:
    LB, FB,FB (Hotstreak), FB, FB-Pyro (New Hotstreak) and so on

What usually happens to me is that this chaining can go on, for quite a bit. I time it so my living bomb explosion will give me a new hotstreak, and I can keep chaining hotstreaks, even after LB expired.

My question is, do I interrupt the chain to refresh LB, or do I keep chaining hotstreaks until I don't get 2 crits in a row, and then refresh LB?
    Your chain is not interrupted if you don't stack Hot Streak procs. LB has higher priority than Fireball in most cases therefore you want to refresh your LB after the first, second or the third Fireball cast, but not after the fourth because pyro has higher priority than LB in that case.
    Edited: February 18, 2017

14. For the question about refresh a LB which proc in a chain of Pyro proc, to my mind the best thing to do (if you have a standard amount of crit (as fire Mage) which is around 65-70℅ real crit on boss, or when have a really good crit (about 75%+ of real crit on boss) ) an a amount of haste over 650 :

Tiny.
    You kept in mind here your haste meaning the time spent waiting after your LB refresh. If it's lower than the Fireball's flying time then you're good to go. That's your opinion which is in most cases not correct. If you are fighting a dummy in Orgrimmar and you don't stop until you go oom then you are right. In pretty much all boss fights you want to keep some medium range because if you are too far away you might lose your ignite stacks after being stunned for a second and then refreshing LB and similar cases. If you are too close though then you might stack Hot Streak procs, so try to find the range which suits you. For example 30+ yards doesn't suit me because I have enough haste to stack Hot Streak procs in some cases like Bloodlust/Hero so the fourth fireball finishes cast before the third one even hits the target. In boss fights you can't look at your position only, that's teamwork and you need to position yourself accordingly being totally selfless but still trying to keep your DPS up as high as possible.
    Apologies for 3 different comments, I don't know how to multiquote lmao
    Edited: February 18, 2017

First 1234 ... Last