1. May 10, 2013  

Messing with WoW-Models

I recently discovered a program called Blender 6.22a.

This is a model making, editing and animating program...

I later realized that when combined with Wow-Model Viewer- ItÔÇÖs possible to export the WoW models and import them into Blender where you can edit, animate and do a ton of vrazy things with them.

Goal:

I wish to EVENTUALLY use this program and a few others (I will name along my path to progress) to create a ÔÇÿsweetÔÇÖ machinima.
    This COULD take months- ItÔÇÖs a complicated program and as I post my progress I would greatly appreciate any tips / tricks from anyone who has USED the program(s) I name below.

---------

This is my character in-game; little undead Corpse mage. I will start with her...

1st thing to do is to mess around with Wow-model viewer, gear your character; export them using (wavefront.obj) and import them into Blender 6.22a; which looks something like this...

She look's 'boxy' because when you import the model- it 'breaks.'

There are to many vertices, I will need to manually remove them one by one.

Thank GOODNESS for 'low poly' count of WoW models.

More on this later...

Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

2. May 10, 2013  

3. May 10, 2013  
    Eh- Hardly. She lookÔÇÖs ÔÇÿbotchedÔÇÖ but im grateful for the complement :P

When the import comes into Blender, it comes in several sections called ÔÇÿGEO-setsÔÇÖ. You need to ÔÇÿpress tabÔÇÖ to be able to edit eached highlight able geo-set and edit them.

There is also a button on the left called ÔÇÿRemove doublesÔÇÖ whichÔǪ I found a LITTLE too late.
    I was on the 4th geoset and had manually removed 73 verts before I was like ÔÇÿThere has GOT to be a better way to dot hisÔÇÖ and started searching youtube for edit tutorials.

After learning about the ÔÇÿremoved doublesÔÇÖ button, ÔÇÿrectangulateÔÇÖ and ÔÇÿsmoothÔÇÖ; IÔÇÖm happy with the results so far. :P

This is by NO means a tutorial, rather a documentation of a 'learning process'.

Note to self; Undead are the HARDEST wow-characters to start a project like this with - I can already forsee problems with animations and getting the 'bones' to stay 'brittle looking' rather then 'bending' like a knee or an arm would...

Oh well.

Maybe I'll pull another model in for 'animation' testing if I get to fustraited with this one.

Only time will tell...

4. May 10, 2013  
    Believe it or not the geo-sets that make this model ÔÇÿwholeÔÇÖ are STILL separated right now. I wanted to bind all the Geo-sets together to make a complete model by pressing ÔÇÿCTRL JÔÇÖ to join them but NOT before I ÔÇÿfixedÔÇÖ that black spot on top of her face.

Being that im not comfortable using adobe paint yet on the characters ÔÇÿUV mappingÔÇÖ or ÔÇÿskinÔÇÖ ÔÇô I simply tested out so ÔÇÿeditingÔÇÖ

I ÔÇÿctrl + DÔÇÖ to duplicated a group of highlighted verities and then bound them with the ÔÇÿWÔÇÖ key and selected ÔÇÿmergeÔÇÖ + ÔÇÿat lastÔÇÖ to the original objects ÔÇÿGeo-set-HairstyleÔÇÖ. The result is ÔÇÿmessy bangsÔÇÖÔǪ

Anyone know about UV mapping?

5. May 10, 2013  
    While I was editing I decided to give her a lifted [Chest piece] heh

The real reason for this was to have ÔÇÿribsÔÇÖ jetting out of her chest like the male undead did but this is much more complicated then it seems.

I would need to ÔÇÿstealÔÇÖ the ribs off an undead model and they wouldnÔÇÖt match her ÔÇÿpinkÔÇÖ bones + it would look less ÔÇÿwow-lookingÔÇÖ. Im TRYING not to edit too much and have the models look as they do ingame so when I use them later it isnÔÇÖt too far-fetched to imagine they ARENÔÇÖT simply models IN-GAME.

6. May 10, 2013  

7. May 10, 2013  
    Heh- what? The 'boob job'?

I still have to animate this bad girl! :P

YY I haven't even scratched the surface of all this program has to offer lol.

8. May 12, 2013  
    Spoiler: Show
    Well... im an *****; but this is a learning process so Im allowed a few mistakes here and there...

Found you can edit something called 'key frames' which essentially moves certain vertices (of my choosing) into a specific position on the model when you select and 'use' them.

What this means in laymen terms is: Facial expressions!

For those of you who dont know what a vert is - it's the tine dot (s) (as seen below) that connect polygons.

Facial expression - testing:

The reason im an *****, is because 'key frames' should ONLY be applied AFTER all editing and 'addition's to be added to the model' are already done...

It JUST occurred to me I forgot 'shoulders for her additional gear' ...

-facepalm-

9. May 12, 2013  
    Alrighty - Additional items time!

1st- Import the 'additional' item; AKA- the shoulder gear I forgot...

-facepalm-

Now we make it a 'weeee bit smaller' using the S button and dragging the mouse in/out to 'scale' it

Next we use the 'mirror' modifier tool to make Ze-one shoulder, a two shoulder;

Aftermessing around and making it match the origional picture; VALLA! We have shoulders!

10. May 12, 2013  
    Sometimes when you import certain items; they are WAY larger than you expected.

Again we use the 'S' button to scale:

As stated before - Undead are the hardest models to start with for animating (later) because you need to give them a 'brittle' look.

In order to accomplish this; I separated some bones along with the items.

Pulled them out to I could easier attach bones without the use of 'weight paint'...
    Got lazy but I know I will have to learn to use it in the future.

Anyone know a good weight paint tutorial...?

TO YOUTUBE!

Added bones-

And tested how they move - bound to vert's, ect...

Now I just need to REDO the key frames -.- lol

11. May 12, 2013  

12. May 15, 2013  
    One thing I have learned- save, Save, SAVE each step you do so you can go back if you screw up!

Had to re-do the bones twice now because of power failures and I have over 20 files named 'corpse mage 1-whatever'. Always save!

Anyway - bones redone...

And she'd ready for posing;

Now I need a blue screen, lights, camera... and a recording program... >.>

13. May 15, 2013  
    Andrastina
    Sweet! I had downloaded Blender a while back, but haven't spent time learning it, so this is really fun to watch. For a free program, pretty amazing how much Blender has, feature-wise. What an awesome tool for machinima, too. Hopefully, you keep posting/updating us!

Also--did you edit the face to have skin on her chin? I only know of one undead face that has black eyes in WoW, and that one has an exposed bone chin, which I don't like and would want to hide with a bandana or something. :P But maybe there are more faces in Cat? (And I only play WotLK.)

14. May 15, 2013  
    @Andrastina;
    Sweet! I had downloaded Blender a while back, but haven't spent time learning it, so this is really fun to watch. For a free program, pretty amazing how much Blender has, feature-wise. What an awesome tool for machinima, too. Hopefully, you keep posting/updating us!

Also--did you edit the face to have skin on her chin? I only know of one undead face that has black eyes in WoW, and that one has an exposed bone chin, which I don't like and would want to hide with a bandana or something. :P But maybe there are more faces in Cat? (And I only play WotLK.)

I THINK what you're refering to is the fact this corpse model has no glowing yellow eyes like she normally would in-game?

Truth be told; I deleted them when I imported her. I kept the face the same way it was in cata / model viewer; just took out the glowing yellow orbs for two reasons:
    1. I didn't like them.
    2. It's VERY easy to 'add' a 'sphere mesh' and recolor it to look like an eyeball- or even make it all 'pixelie' and glowing looking for a 'better' looking 'glow-eye'.

Most wow models (dreanei dont) have the 'eyes' drawn on as part of their 'skin' - or more comonly known as 'UV MAPPING'. The only think you will find that's in the eye-area is another flat mesh which has 'eyelide' drawn on so your character can blink in game.

I think I'll import a less 'corpse like' model next. :3 Show you what I mean...

15. May 19, 2013  
    Finally had some time today-

Added a 'blue screen mesh' which will help make the background invisible when I throw her into a movie editing program.

Also added extra bones for the legs- the 'robe' bottom half was a little bit tricky.
    You will need a good 'weight paint' tutorial to make it work. You can find one easy on you tube. :P

12 Last