1. [Guide] Elemental Shaman PvE by Speed

My shaman's name is Speed and I play on Sargeras. What peaked my interest in elemental shaman is the concept of a nature mage that summons totems and guardians for an overall unique expirence. I have gone to great lengths and even though I may not be the best, I'm better than most of i've came across.

The infomation I provide are the results of reading countless guides, running tons of simulations, and a boatload of field tests which include raids, dungeons, and test dummies. My current progression is 5/6 bwd normal, 2/6 bwd herioc, 4/4 bot, 6/7 fl normal.

The elemental shaman is able to provide high dps and provides a good ammount of utility. Any mistakes you make such as letting flameshock or searing totem expire, stacking lightning shield past 9 charges, delaying lava burst, letting even a half second go by without casting, or improper cooldown usage will severely harm your dps. You have to be on your A game, reflex and focus are key along with a well setup spec and gear build. Don't let all of that intimadate you though as it becomes quite enjoyable and even has a certain rythme to it.

These are the core talents required for all aspects of the PvE environment. You only have 3 leftover to play with. However those spare point can be used for survivability, utility, crowd control, or even a fun aoe cc.

Elemental Warding-Reduces magic damage taken by 4/8/12%. This is always on and most raid damage is magic damage.

Earth's Grasp-Earthbind Totem has a 50/100% chance to root nearby targets for 5 seconds. I have personally been in situations where rooting mobs prevented a wipe, however this is highly situational.

Earthquake-Deals physical damage every second to enemies in an 8 yard radius, with a 10% chance to knockdown and lasts 10 seconds. In pretty much any aoe situation, you will spam chain lightning but it's still viable to drop one of these before you do.

Totemic Reach-Increases the range of your totems' effects by 15/30%. Normally you would take this to extend the range of searing totem but with molten's ai bugs, it will increase the chance of it ninja pulling.

Ancestral Resolve-Reduces any damage takenwhile casting by 5/10%. As an elemental shaman, you should always be casting which makes this a bit heavier than elemental warding.

Prime
    Flame Shock-Increases Flame Shock duration by 50%. Flame Shock is weak in general but this glyph allows you to refresh it less while spending more global cooldowns on harder hitting abilities.

Lava Burst-Increases the damage of Lava Burst by 10%. Makes one of your best spells better.

Lightning Bolt-Increases damage of Lightning Bolt by 4%. Lightning Bolt will makes up a huge chunk of our damage and is probably our most casted spell.

Unleashed Lightning-Allows you to cast Lightning Bolt while moving. Gives elemental shamans the ability to be so much mobile which is very important for fights such as alysrazor, shannox, omnitron, atramedes, halfus, and ascendant council. Replace with Lava Burst glyph if you know you will be missing it on cooldown.

Major
    Lightning Shield-Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges. Means you never need to recast it. Always use.

Chain Lightning-Hits 2 additional targets but deals 10% less initial damage. Gives Chain Lightning the ability to hit 5 targets instead of 3. On 4+ mobs, its a dps gain. 2-3 and you can swap this out.

Healing Stream Totem-Your Healing Stream Totem will give 195 frost, fire, and nature resist to all members in range. Best choice for 3rd glyph but swap out if a restoration shaman wants you to drop mana spring or tranquil mind.

Stoneclaw Totem-Stoneclaw totem will give a 16k shield with a 20 second cooldown. Since we don't need earth totems to help with dps, this is completely viable choice for 3rd gylph.

Minor
    Thunderstorm-Increases mana gained from Thunderstorm by 2% but will no longer knockback or reduce movement speed. Unless your required to knockback during an encounter, glyph this. Not for the mana regen but for the sake that you don't knock mobs into a wall. Don't be that guy.

All other minor glyphs provide utility or cosmetics which will contribute nothing in a raid environment.

Intellect>Spirit/Hit 17%>Haste>Mastery>Critical Strike

Intellect-Highest ranking stat. It's our main source of spellpower, increases mana pool size, and provides critical strike.

Spirit-With elemental precision 3/3 which is a mandatory talent converts ever point of spirit into hit rating. Learn to see spirit as hit rating since its almost identical.

Hit Rating-Along with spirit should be your number 1 priority until you're at or slightly below hit cap. A single missed attack can knock your dps down a few pegs. Any point above is considered wasted. !7% for all races at this current time.

Haste-Faster spell casting and shorter global cooldowns. There all no haste breakpoints for elemental. The dps gain is linear and for this current tier gear, more is better.

Mastery-Our mastery gives us a chance to for lightning bolt, lava burst, and chain lightning to trigger itself and cast another version that does 75% normal damage and no threat. Its a nice stat to aim for on gear but it should be reforged for spirit if under hitcap or haste.

Critical Strike-Your best spell has a 100% crit chance which makes critical strike garbage for elemental shamans. This should be the first stat reforged and avoided if possible.

This is the result of a simulation ran 10,000 times using a helter skelter fight mode using bis tier 12 gear.

Meta-Burning Shadowspirit Diamond +54 intellect and 3% increased critical effect.
    Red-Brilliant Inferno Ruby +40 intellect
    Blue-Purified Demonseye +20 intellect and +20 spirit
    Yellow-Reckless Ember Topaz +20 intellect and +20 haste

Head-Arcanum of Hyjal +60 intellect and +35 crtitcal strike
    Shoulders-Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone +50 intellect and +25 haste.
    Cloak-Greater Intellect +50 intellect
    Chest-Peerless Stats +20 All Stats
    Wrist-Mighty Intellect +50 intellect
    Gloves-Greater Mastery +65 Mastery
    Legs-Powerful Ghostly Spellthread +95 intellect and +55 spirit
    Feet-Haste +50 haste
    Shield-Superior Intellect +40 intellect
    Weapon-Power Torrent 500 intellect for 12 sec when dealing damage or healing with spells

Reforging Priority as follows: Spirit/Hit to 17%>Haste>Mastery>Critical Strike.
    If you don't have 17% hit, reforge lowest ranking stat Hit Rating or Spirit
    If you're over 17% hit, reforge some Hit or Spirit to Haste or Mastery.
    Reforge any leftover Crit to Haste or Mastery.

Alchemy: +80 intellect from flasks through Mixology
    Blacksmithing: +80 bonus from two bonus sockets on bracers and gloves.
    Enchanting: +80 intellect from two ring enchants.
    Engineering: Synapse Springs which average out to +80 intellect. 450 int for 10 seconds with a 60 second cooldown.
    Jewelcrafting: +81 intellect from 3 intellect gems. When epic gems are released, the value will go down to +51 intellect.
    Leatherworking: +80 intellect from fur lining.
    Tailoring: cloak enchant that procs 580 intellect for 15 seconds.
    Herbalism: 480 haste for 20 seconds every 2 minutes.
    Mining: +120 stamina.
    Skinning: +80 critical strike rating.

These really are the only choices that make any significant boost in your dps and are pretty easy to acquire.

Elixer:Flask of Draconic Mind +300 intellect
    Food:Severed Sagefish Head +90 intellect and +90 stamina
    Potion: Volcanic Potion +1200 intellect for 25 seconds
    Scroll: Intellect IX +100 intellect.

Always make sure lightning shield and flametongue weapon are active. I seen people mess that up.

Single Target
    1) Searing Totem. Fire Elemental totem if have all spellpower procs/cooldowns ready and you can drop it on the boss.
    2) Flame shock and refresh with 3 seconds left on duration.
    3) Lava burst on cooldown when flame shock is up.
    4) Earth shock when you have 7-9 stacks of lightning shield and flame shock has 6+ seconds remaining.
    5) Lightning Bolt when all other priorities have been taken care of and while moving.

Unleash elementals was removed from our rotation completely since it uses a gcd and was only used while moving. We have glyph of unleased lightning to thank for that.

Multiple target
    Spam chain lightning.
    Earth shock at 7-9 stacks of lightning shield.

Earthquake is optional but if you're specced into it, use it when there's 5 or more targets.

Earth
    Stoneskin Increases armor by 4076. Stacks with paladin's devotion aura.
    Strength of Earth +549 strength and agility. The same buff is apply by but does not stack with death knights Horn of Winter, warrior's Battle Shout, and hunter's Roar of Courage.
    Tremor Totem Breaks fears, charms, and sleep effects for 6 seconds with a 1 minute cooldown.
    Stoneclaw 16k personal bubble with a 20 second cooldown.

Fire
    Flametongue 6% spellpower increase. Does not benefit from totemic wrath(+10% spellpower increase). Useless.
    Searing Shoots bolts of fire at single enemy and benefits from totemic wrath which will increase all party/raid members' spellpower by 10%. Always use. This spellpower increase is also provided by warlock's Demonic Pact.
    Magma- Deals fire damage to all enemies within 8 yards. Also benefits from totemic wrath. Very situational. I only really use it when I fear searing totem will ninja pull.
    Fire Elemental Much better than searing totem and is a dps increase especially when used with intellect procs and cooldowns. Also benefits from totemic wrath. However it is severely broken and unpredictable. Lately I have been testing and it is scaling better with spellpower/intellect procs and is a very nice dps boost if it runs in right away. I dropped this on Ragnaros and it took 30 seconds before it finally started attacking.

Water
    Healing Steam Heals all party members in range. Also stacks with other healing steam totems and benefits from spellpower/intellect procs. Also provides 195 frost, fire, and nature resistence when glyphed.
    Mana Spring Increases mana regen by 326 per 5 seconds. Currently stacking with paladin's Blessing of Might.
    Tranquil Mind Reduces pushback when casting by 30%. Does not stack with paladin's concentration aura.

Air
    Wrath of Air +5% spell haste. Does not stack with shadow priest's Mind Quickening or balance druid's Moonkin Aura.
    Windfury+10% melee and ranged attack speed. Does not stack with death knight's Improved Icy Talons or hunter's Hunting Party.

The totems you should have queued generally as an elemental shaman are Stoneskin, Searing, Healing Stream, and Wrath of Air. Assess the needs of the group and place totems accordingly.

Special thank you to Wolololol for the images and to <Care> for giving me to opportunity to flourish as an elemental shaman. Also Noobert for teaching me how to make colored text.

Guides written by other <Care> members.
    [Guide] 4.3 Protection Paladin
    [Guide] 4.3 Holy Priest
    [Guide] 4.3 Shadow Priest
    [Guide] 4.3 Survival Hunter
    [Guide] 4.3 Protection Warrior

And [Guide] Firelands Normal which is the highest tier of raiding at the moment.

I plan to add a bis list and expand on the rotation with cooldown usage at a later time.

Bugs
    Lava Burst elemental overload proc should have a 100% crit chance when hitting a target afflicted with flame shock but it doesn't.
    Searing totem not prioritizing targets with flame shock.
    Flametongue weapon not benefiting from elemental weapons talent.
    Fire Elemental Totem is a major dps cooldown but refuses to join the fight or just slaps the enemy when he does.
    Earth Elemental Totem is also severely broken but not that high of a priority. Contributes roughly 500 dps if fixed and really run to use.
    Dreanei's Heroic Presence is supposed to give 1% hit but doesn't work at all.

2. Woohoo! Care strikes again. Go Speed Go! :D

Best Elemental Shaman in the world! This is how awesome Speed is. Just look at the photo below for proof of his win.

3. +1 for a very well written guide. Hopefully this will get more people interested in Elemental shamans.

4. Need more formattings to make it easier to read.

5. Really nice guide :D

But when I'm done with you, you'll be best PvP RestoSham Mol10.

6. Always love'd Ele-Shamans always will thanks for the guide gonna play mine wen got the opportunity :D

7. Ammm can you update the bugs section, and even report this on the tracker, I can't, don't have the required posts. The Mastery procs of any spell consumes Clearcasting charges which should not be the case as they dont cost any mana and their damage is 75% of the original spell, So you only get to cast one spell with the Clearcasting buff if it procs our mastery. A minor bug but it would add a little more pinch to our dps. A nice thread, hope i get to see more Ele's in game :)

Blmaestro
    +1 for guide, -1 you went alliance...

9. Really great guide, the only wrong thing that i've noticed was that you should take unleashed lightning for alys. The glyph is an absolute garbage there, beacause by picking up 1 feather you automatically can cast while moving, so glyph of LvB would provide more dps.

10. @Kronix6~ i would love to add and promote any elemental bugs that are affecting elemental shaman in any way. if you want me to post on bugtracker, send me a detailed mail on the forums and i will test is asap before posting.

@martissk~ the reason i included 4 different prime glyphs is because there are situations where you will have to swap unleashed lightning in and out. for fights like ryolith, beth, alysrazor, baleroc, majordomo, magmaw, chimeron, and maloriak you won't need it. for atramedes, ods, shannox, halfus, v&t, and ascendant council, you will. when i swap between lightning bolt and unleashed lightning.

11. Woohoo! Care strikes again. Go Speed Go! :D

Best Elemental Shaman in the world! This is how awesome Speed is. Just look at the photo below for proof of his win.

lol shaman MoP ftw

saqibious
    Really nice guide we need to get more ppl interested in ele shamans :D
    Btw how much average dps do u pull on Firelands bosses?

iAmAthirat
    elimintal shemen suxz :( wurst cles eu

saqibious
    No elemental shaman are just hard to play and wait till the release of t13 when we get 2p bonus of 2000 mastery our dps will increase greatly

Rayspointofview
    Dam you Care guys, u steal all the awesomness form the forums. And now you made me want to go ele on my shammy.

Naah, still prefer resto / enh. Nice guide though, Everythng's clear and easy to understand. Should be helpful for a lot of people.

123 ... Last