1. As my 1st comment on this forum, i'm very very impressed by this guide ! As much as writing my 1st comment ever in forum (and i've been playing over 1,5 year).
    This guide is simply such good =)

2. Trying elemental shaman now and its so hard to make good dps ;/
    with my arcane mage(6k gs) i could easly do 12k dps
    on my ele shaman (6k gs) it's hard to past 10k dps, on some bosses, like fester rotface my dps can go down to 8k cause of moving, when on mage it was easy 10-11k, I think it's something wrong with shaman, on retail ele sham and arcane mage was nearly equal in dps.

my stats are:
    3300 spellpower
    41% crit
    1100 haste
    I should change to more crit?
    Edited: January 12, 2019

3. May 7, 2019  
    Why is glyph of lava superior to glyph of flametongue weapon?
    I'd say it hasn't superiority, it just isn't so usable in Wotlk (Northrend) areas, dungeons and raids with some exceptions. Glyph of Flametongue Weapon must be used in set with other AoE boosting Glyphs like Glyph of Chain Lightning, Nova and requires a specific play style, while doing encounters with a lot of targets around. It's possible to change the Glyphs before each encounter if you have a lot of them.

Glyph of Flametongue Weapon is a Glyph of AoE DPS spell rotations.

The Glyph of Lava is more usable in Wotlk because it's more universal and you'll cast more Lava Bursts then CLs in raids. You can do very well without CLs even. Therefore, Lava will always crit and, being under BiS gear with 50% crit, ideally every second LB and FS DoT will crit. By adding addition 2% spell crit will not change the spell time sequency drastically until you do damage to multiple targets per GCD.
    Edited: May 7, 2019

4. May 7, 2019  
    I would suggest you to get Royal Scepter, CTS and Cloak of Burning Dusk (cause there is really no good avalabe back in the game beside from ICC and RS) with coins and Flare of the Heavens trinket with points. Have in mind that Elemental shaman is the weakest DPS spec in the game so don't expect something even with high-end gear. Also 4p T10 is a MUST!
    Hi, vsetoq! How's Icecrown raiding nowadays? I'm away for years now, cause RL.

"...Is the weakest DPS spec...?" Common?!... We were able to push DPS in top 3-5 in our raids, even under decent CC in ICC25HC, and Disfigured was a damn badass Guild those days with strongest Tanks, Healers and DPS characters.

Under the "weakest" keep in mind also:
    - Discipline Priest;
    - Beastmaster/Survival Hunter;
    - Arms Warrior;
    - Subtlety and some imba Assassination Rogues;
    - Frost Mage.

In top end-game guilds, a quality game play is a way more important than addition 2000 DPS per character. The more characters will be lost by mistakes, the more dps per character is required to finish the encounter. In good top Guilds, the max dps isn't a thing anymore (with some rare encounters as exception).

5. May 7, 2019  
    As my 1st comment on this forum, i'm very very impressed by this guide ! As much as writing my 1st comment ever in forum (and i've been playing over 1,5 year).
    This guide is simply such good =)
    Thx!

I'm dissapointed with the shutdown of Openwow. Openwow was the best datasource for Wotlk. A lot of tooltips and links in this guide are broken now. Maybe I'll repair those resources by linking them to that new Warmane datasource - Cavern of Time.

Maybe I'll finish the Chapter 3 and I'll make the media Chapter 4. I'm not sure for how long this server will run further...

BTW... I tried all character Classes and many of their Specs on high level. Ele Shaman is one of the most interesting and fun Spec to play among them, as Shaman class entirely. If you aren't focused on Arena rating above 2500 and Top1/2 DPS in raids only, then this spec is the best one to do well a lot of different things in this game, to play a flexible and fun PVE and PVP game. It depends by the amount of time you are ready to invest into this character.

Since August 2012 when I began to play on previous Molten server, a lot was changed and fixed on this server. Warmane staff did a huge work to fix almost everything. Compared to other available mega-grinding AFK-leveling modern MMOs (including mobile MMOs), this Warmane's Wotlk MMORPG is a very quality one and holds the spirit of true WoW. Even Blizzard began to reanimate their Classical WoW due to the modern MMOs issues.
    Edited: May 7, 2019

6. May 7, 2019  
    Trying elemental shaman now and its so hard to make good dps ;/
    with my arcane mage(6k gs) i could easly do 12k dps
    on my ele shaman (6k gs) it's hard to past 10k dps, on some bosses, like fester rotface my dps can go down to 8k cause of moving, when on mage it was easy 10-11k, I think it's something wrong with shaman, on retail ele sham and arcane mage was nearly equal in dps.

my stats are:
    3300 spellpower
    41% crit
    1100 haste
    I should change to more crit?
    It's hard to say something accurate for me now, because I don't know what kind of changes or fixes were applied to the server recently. Last time, when I used my old PC, I had bad video performance in raids with lags and fps drops to 20-22. It had huge impact on my dps in some encounters plus abnormal frequency of applied CCs on my character by raid Bosses.

But as I remember, I was able to push 12k-14k dps easily in most encounters on Warmane (after big fixes). At Fester and Rotface the 10-11k DPS shouldn't be a problem for ele shaman. Yes, retail shaman did better. They fixed a lot of things, but something stacks strange in raids with shaman abilities. IDK. I tried to nail it out, but quit soon after that.

"I should change to more crit?"
    - Yes. You need at least 49% Crit and 14% Hit, better get to 51-52% Crit, which is possible.

During my last raids, I found that under BiS gear stats, Crit have advantage over other basic stats like Haste and even Spellpower.

7. May 11, 2019  
    The Guide's links with tooltips are fixed. Enjoy!

8. ... I was inspired to write a new chapter (1.4.1 Shaman Quests) by the recent Blizzard release of WoW Classic and in game and forum questions about this topic. Indeed, this can be a bit confusing for retail players, which missed the Wotlk expansion or previous ones. It was nostalgic for me to level up a shaman character as I did it in August 2012. Therefore, I leveled all shaman races to level 40, some of them above that level, to write this guide chapter ...

9. Hi! Can we somehow contact in a discord or somewhere else? If you are still interested in developing and improving your guide, I would like to tell you some additional features. At the moment I play on the server warmane / Lordaeron and is probably the only server eleshaman in demand. I have something to show and tell, so I would be glad if this was reflected in your guide, because he is in demand.
    http://armory.warmane.com/character/...daeron/summary
    https://www.twitch.tv/eleanorax

10. Hi! Can we somehow contact in a discord or somewhere else? If you are still interested in developing and improving your guide, I would like to tell you some additional features. At the moment I play on the server warmane / Lordaeron and is probably the only server eleshaman in demand. I have something to show and tell, so I would be glad if this was reflected in your guide, because he is in demand.
    http://armory.warmane.com/character/...daeron/summary
    https://www.twitch.tv/eleanorax
    Hello there! :) As I know Rexar doesn't play the game anymore from long time ago and I'm not sure that he is up to date with the last changes but still he is trying to help here with what he can. Anyway, On Lordaeron Ele shaman is still demand and performs pretty well due to small difference in gears between the players (may be lack of Shadowmourns also which give huge boost in dps and damage done for classes who can obtain it). On Icecrown we compare BiS against BiS, class wise against class wise and this is where shaman becomes extremely weak as a dps option. Sure elemental shaman can really perform good on bosses like Halion in physical realm due to mechanic of the boss and mechanic of how elemental shaman can throw huge amount of damage on big Inferno and small adds at same time while he is still "cleaving" the boss. I saw your armory and you are BiS beside the fact that your weapon is normal. I also watched some of your PoVs on LOD and while your damage done over Lich King is somehow "competitive", your total damage done is not. Don't feel me wrong, I understand that on Lordaeron is harder than Icecrown (one the fact that you are forced to play with 0% buff) but in the end I wouldn't invite ele shaman after I can take much more helpful and available class especially while I'm progressing LOD 0%. Cheers and good luck! :)
    Edited: December 11, 2019

11. That entirely depends on context. A lot of it, regarding Lordaeron. You did pick pretty much the worst fight in game for ele shaman and the thing on Lordaeron is that the relative number of guilds doing/progressing it is not nearly as high as on Icecrown, so if you want to play elemental shaman, it's very likely you are nowhere close to LoD at the moment and this won't concern you. Another thing is that Lordaeron has a limited player pool and for some reason, majority of boomkins are dreadful and you will likely find a slot for ele shaman because of lack of boomkins with working brain cells doing actual dmg which leads to only one boomkin in raid. That's just my conclusion after seeing and recruiting who knows how many in a couple of guilds. There are always exceptions, ofc.

A point about LOD not being a good dmg encounter for ele shaman stands and the reason for that is pretty simple - Eleanora doesn't hardcleave ghouls in p1 and rightly so because you'll only be wasting mana (it's a thing even for ele shaman on such a long encounter) and not make encounter any easier or faster or contribute in any other way than looking better on recount. When you think about it, if melees wouldn't hardcleave the ghouls, the fight would look completely different, but that's what melee job is. Instead of magma totem, I opted to glyph twist and use Fire Elemental/ToW/Flametongue glyphs in one slot and pop 3 to 4 fire elementals along with sp/crit buffs, one being in p1, while I was still actively playing. On the other hand, ele shaman valk dmg is not really amazing, hence you can play full support there with earthbind totems and frost shocks at the cost of a bit of your own damage and be a great backup if cc/slow gets picked up by valks. And still not last on valk dmg.

Now, there comes the other topic of "top dmg vs enough dmg". I dare saying that if a dmg of one elemental shaman is the difference between a kill or not, that means that several people that are supposed to do good dps in your raid are underperforming and that's a much bigger issue. That also means that you'll pick a top dmg class rather than ele only because you want another top dmg class (let's assume a mage) to carry those people in the raid that are underperforming or undergeared.

Context of this? I progressed in a guild that was relatively undergeared to kill LoD at start. I didn't do LoD in the end due to long overdue guild disband not related to raids, but we were close and in the last weeks of our guild we managed to push to p3 cleanly several times with a fairly weak setup - 1, sometimes 2 shm in raid, 2 to 3 mages, an undergeared hunter and 3rd spec boomkin and I would say underperforming rogues for LoD standards. And an ele shaman playing full support in p2. All that without having an rng fiesta of having warlocks picked up all the time. Damage was not an issue on boss or valks after a week or two of progress already. That is the proof that even tho you absolutely won't do top dmg on LoD, you still do enough damage.

If everyone does their job properly, there is no fight where a good elemental shaman won't do enough dmg with a balanced setup, even in a progressing guild. BiS vs BiS, your ele shaman is comparable to boomkins, shadow priests, on some fights hunters, probably a bit higher than demo locks. It's not a top dmg class, you won't catch mages and skilled affli, but it's not an extremely weak dps option either, otherwise he's just a bad shaman. Ofc, you can always slide in a single hunter/boomkin/shp/demo and jam 5 mages in your raid, but if a boss requires, say, 300k dps for a smooth kill and you insist on having a 320k setup, you can't really blame that on the elemental shaman, can you?

Pick a good player, not a class. If he's not doing enough dmg and needs to switch to something else, he'll know that himself.

Doomche
    Edited: December 11, 2019

12. Hello Chainiac. Without going through your comment, just sit, read it several times and count how many times you contradict yourself. Only your last sentence makes the whole comment pointless. There is a reason why I point Lich King fight and not Marrowgar fight for example but this you have to figured yourself out using your own comment.

13. Hi vsetoq,

I don't need to read my comment again, I wrote it and I know what's in it. Dude offered help to update a guide that does need update if you want to make it useful on Lordaeron and is in demand on the server, you answered him with a completely redundant comment how you (Icecrown) wouldn't take him (Lordaeron) on LoD because his dmg on LK is good but overall dmg isn't. Do us both a favor and don't try to compare roster selection on Lordaeron and Icecrown because the situation is completely different.

I provided context on a) Why is his damage like that and that it's correct way to play the encounter, b) How can elemental shaman contribute on LoD in other ways than dps and c) Why a good ele shaman will have a spot on LoD in a raid which are all relevant on Lordaeron. If you found anything in it contradictory, you either haven't read it very carefully or didn't understand a word that I wrote. I was talking from the perspective of a RL on Lordaeron.

Either way, I have no intention to continue this discussion whether you are interested or answering or not since it wasn't directed specifically at you. Those who know me on Lordaeron also know that they can find any answers they need there.

Cheers,

Doomche

14. it's very likely you are nowhere close to lod at the moment and this won't concern you.

Context of this? I progressed in a guild that was relatively undergeared to kill lod at start. i didn't do lod in the end due to long overdue guild disband

I provided context on a) Why is his damage like that and that it's correct way to play the encounter, b) How can elemental shaman contribute on LoD in other ways than dps and c) Why a good ele shaman will have a spot on LoD in a raid which are all relevant on Lordaeron.

I was talking from the perspective of a RL on Lordaeron.
    Why is the guy without LOD and 4man raid guild totaling 0 LODs trying to give LOD advice?

15. Because there is no active LOD ele shaman on Lordaeron for a long time now and my actual raiding guild was the closest one to LOD on the horde side at the time of disband which happened a month ago. Same time 0 guilds on Horde side Lordaeron were downing LOD. At present time, there's one guild that downed LOD (2 total counting alliance) and neither of them utilize ele shaman.

It's interesting how neither of you are even trying to argue about actual gameplay on LOD. If you're so worried about my credibility because you don't know me, feel free to contact Lordaeron folks regarding it. If you don't want any input from Lordaeron's ele shamans in the guide, then rename it to an Icecrown guide and let's get it over with.
    Edited: December 12, 2019

First ... 78910 Last