1. [Guide] Restoration

Hi guys! I have had a lot of requests in and outside the game to finally share some of my shaman knowledge with the molten community for some time now. Well I finally got around to doing so after a year of procrastinating.

A little bit about myself: I played retail for 7 years nonstop from vanilla to cataclysm before quitting a few months into cata, i currently play casually on retail now just to keep in touch with friends mostly. I have many posts on elitists jerks and blizzard forums with theory crafting for classes. I’ve raided with 2 different top 50 US guilds for most of my time in retail. I Love to theory craft and find out how best to maximize my healing on all of my healers not just shamans as my druid is my main.

I hope this guide helps you with all your questions and if you have any feel free to hit me up in game (if im not busy raiding), PM me in game, message me on twitch, or hit me up in this thread. You can find my current spec here.

Note: This guide will not cover healing at lower levels of gear or a fresh lvl 80 shamans this is for those of you with decent to great gear. I will NOT be covering a 10m normal or 10H healing guides. THIS GUIDE IS FOR 25 NORMAL AND HEROIC MODE HEALING ONLY. 25man modes offer the highest gear and difficulties and that’s what I am basing my guide on.

Breakdown:

1. Breakdown and abilities of our class
    2. Stats and Priorities
    3. Specs
    4. Healing spells and breakdown
    5. Glyphs
    6. Gear
    7. Gemming
    8. Common Questions and current bugs
    9. Totems, Addons and Tricks

Shaman Abilities

Shamans by far bring the most buffs of any class to a raid.

Our totems offer many buffs to many classes no matter what their role is in the raid.

We have reincarnation which allows us a free rezz during combat if we die.

Alliance shamans give the ability of heroic presence which increases hit rating for the party by 1% as well as gift of the naaru which does a HoT spell on the target.

Horde Tauren shamans gain the abilities war stop which stuns targets and endurance which increases your total health by 5% as well as Horde Troll shamans which have Beserking which increases casting speed by 20% for 10 seconds.

We also provide the raid with heroism/bloodlust (increases attack, ranged, and spell casting speeds by 30% for 40 seconds)which is key for any raid as it basically makes everyone’s abilities better for a short time.

Another talent that we get is ghost wolf this allows us to move 40% faster outside only.

Shamans are very versatile and there is no one “perfect” guide that can be given to really define them it all comes down to playstyle but there are some obvious choices that you should get and build your healing around.

Stats and Priorities

I will do these in order of importance

-Haste-

First off let me say that there is no such thing as haste cap for chain heal especially here on molten where most the fights in comparison to retail are AoE friendly fights thus making haste and chain heal the better choice. To maximize your healing in these encounters haste becomes key in making your chain heal do its best. When focusing on more direct healing fights such as Heroic Lich King spell power comes in as a better choice. This is why you will want separate pieces of gear and be able to constantly be able to swap items based on the type of fight you will be encountering.

So how much haste should I try to get? This varies upon your play style. I personally stack almost every stat and piece of gear for it on all my AoE encounters. On other fights such as HLK mana regeneration and spell power becomes more important. Just a few pieces or trinkets swapped should be enough to keep you going through the fight.

Others have posted that there is a GCD cap for haste. This again is not true. There is a haste cap for lesser healing wave only which is 1269 haste rating. There is no GCD cap for chain heal or rather it is impossible to hit.

How much haste you want to use is really up to you I would not suggest going over 1400 as the diminishing returns become really noticeable at that point I would focus more throughput on spell power.

-Spell Power-

Our Second best stat and in some cases our best stat again depending on your play style. Spell Power increases how big our heals hit and for how much. More spell power is much better on fights that require less AoE healing and more direct healing such as Lich King, Rotface, Marrowgar, and VDW.

-Intellect-

Our 3rd best stat in terms of providing us with crit and a bigger mana pool. Remember shamans gain nothing from spirit like druids and priests do which gives them spell power and mana regen. Most of the pieces of gear you will be wearing if not all of them will have intellect on them. Intellect also provides us with 15% additional spell power if you have the talent Natures Blessing.

-MP5-

Our biggest mana regen and only mana regen. MP5 is a hotly debated topic among shamans because they do have issues with going oom unless druid vates are applied readily. This is not for every boss but this is the case for some bosses which are very mana intense. Personally im using MP5 trinkets along with spell power ones like solace to help me on those fights. Do not go around gemming or gearing a whole lot for this stat as generally mana will not an issue on every boss.

Agility,Spirit, Stamina, and Armor provide nothing to use useful or rather anything we should gem/enchat for. Stamina will be on almost every piece of gear.

Specs

Let me say here again there is a lot of room to play with specs but then again not. The First spec is what I am currently running with.

This spec drops the Imp Earthshield talent in favor of Imp. Reincarnation.

Funky why no Elemental Weapons?
    I get asked this literally all the time. It is a simple answer. Add up the actual % you gain from the talent. It increases the bonus healing from your Earthliving weapon by 10% for each point in EW. When you do the math 150 spell power times 30% only means you’re getting 45 spell power. 3 talent points for 45 spell power is pointless.

Why Imp Earth Shield? Is it not broke still?
    Yes its broke still (see explanation down below in healing spells section) but having 2 extra charges is nice so im not refreshing it so fast and trust me on some fights you will be refreshing it a lot. Besides there is really nothing else to go for in the resto tree at this point.

Why Imp Reincaration? This will reduce the CD of your personal battle rezz and allow your druids to spend less battle rezzes throughout the course of an encounter on you. However this talent totally is dependent upon when you die even if you die. If you’re working in a progression guild I highly recommend this talent if you’re a more seasoned shaman and know fights inside and out I don’t really see the need for it.

Healing Spells and Breakdown

-Chain Heal-
    By far our most go to heal. Hits up to 3 targets (4 with glyph) and causes us to proc tidal waves and many other things in our healing set like earthliving that increases our healing in variouse ways. It is literally the bread and butter of a restoration shaman. The only time your not going to be using this heal a lot is on a lot of direct damage fights where tanks are mostly the ones being pummeled.

-Lesser Healing Wave-
    LHW is our oh crap fast but small heal. Works great when tidal waves are up for a bonus of it being a critical strike. I would say this heal is perfect when wasting the mana to chain heal 1 target seems like a waste and is a good solid choice for very mobile fights (heroic RS) as it should be haste capped and allow for a much faster heal while on the move

-Riptide-
    Our second best and most used heal. An instant heal it is great for those on the move fights as well as lowering the cast time on chain heal at a specific point on a specific target. Great idea to roll this on tanks and follow it with a chain heal on the target for an increase in healing.

-Healing Wave-
    Our Big but long cast heal. Great for topping tanks off when they are at low HP. Used very sparingly or in certain situations in time with tidal waves or unless your holy paladin is dead you should generally be ok with not using this unless you need to get someone up who is near death and get them topped off. Used with Natures swiftness it can be a heard hitting instant cast heal (once every 3min).

-Earth Shield-
    Currently bugged but still does a decent job. The problem with ES is that when a tank is at full health and he get hit it is triggering as an over heal. However if the tank is below full HP and gets hit this heal will trigger correctly. It still does a considerable amount of healing enough to warrant the points into improved ES so you’re not spending a GCD early to refresh it.

Glyphs

Another hot topic here with resto shamans. But lets cover the obvious choices first…

Glyph of Earthliving Weapon-
    Increases the chance of your EL weapon to proc by 5%. A great way to get more earthliving out there and get more healing from your most used heal CH.

Glyph of Chain Heal-
    CH heals an additional 1 target. A no brainer here.

The 3rd slot like most classes is debatable although 2 of them stand out to me the most

Glyph of Riptide-
    the duration of riptide is increased by 6 seconds. Great for those mobile fights to squeeze out a little more healing.

Glyph of Healing Wave-
    Your HW spell now also heals you for 20% of the amount when you heal someone else. A great little mini kind of beacon on yourself. Although again this is really only useful for when your actually casting the spell which is few and far between unless you are on certain bosses which require more direct healing.

Glyph of Water Mastery-
    Increases the passive MP5 from your watershield by 30% so you will be increasing your mana regen from 100 to 130. I highly recommend this at lower levels of gear or if you are having mana issues.

Gear

First off let me say that I will NOT be doing a BiS list as shamans really don’t have one per say. The class is built to be flexible at the gearing table and I cant for sure say that one piece of gear is better than the other unless we were to discuss only tank healing or only aoe healing. Hybrid gearing could also be brought up as a valid discussion here. I will however cover some of the basics.

Get gear with intellect/spell power/crit rating/haste rating. Those pieces of gear will give you your biggest healing increases. Do not pick up spirit gear. MP5 gear is on some of our gear regardless so don’t worry about collecting it.

Valynar (Legendary OMGWTF mace)- is good on shamans and I would say our BiS on Aoe healing without a doubt it does however perform less than the mace from HLK 25 on direct healing fights so swapping between the two may be of some use in those fights.

Trinkets- I personally have 6 different trinkets I swap in and out of depending on a boss. Just remember on AoE fights get haste/spell power ones. On heavy hitting non AoE fights go for Spell power/MP5. I have found this combination has worked well in all heroic ICC/RS and is a rule of thumb so to speak.

Gemming

Again you generally want to gem according to the stats I listed earlier. Haste and intellect or straight spell power. Although I generally discourage intellect gems as they only provide a 15% increase in sp for every 1 intellect. This is really dependent once again on your play style if your AoE healing gemming haste is a good option. Tank healing might require more intellect and straight spell power gems.

For meta gemming I would have to say that the Insightful Earthsiege Diamond is probably the best choice. To meet the meta gem requirement I would suggest 1 reckless Ametrine (haste+sp) and 1 Energized Eye of Zul (haste+MP5)

Common Questions and Current Bugs

Is 4 set worth it?
    Yes of course it is.

What Totem should I use? Calming Tides? Surging Sea? Or Shattered Ice?
    This is again all dependent upon the player although I find Shattered Ice to be a waste of a GCD and there is no guarantee of it hitting since you will not be hit capped. Some people swear by this totem and the haste it provides but again i just cant see spending a GCD on a spell that might not even hit at all. Surging sea does well when your doing direct healing fights or just want more spell power but again requires you to keep riptide up and maybe forcing you to spend a GCD when you don’t really need to. Calming tides is less spell power than surging sea but it does proc off our most used heal thus making it a great choice seeing as how you know it will be up almost all the time.

You can follow and vote up issues dealing with this class here

Earthshield is up on the bug tracker you can find that link here please vote these issues up.

Totems, Addons and Tricks

Ill be adding to this list as time goes on.

What totems should i be dropping?

Earth- If no Dk, strength of earth, if dk is there Stoneskin is a good option. Earthbind and Tremor are also very good but very situational use them appropriately.

Fire- Flametounge if no ele shaman, Frost resist if not enough paladins.

Water- Mana tide (yes they still stack with GBOW), Mana tide when needed, Healing Stream if double resto shamans.

Wind- Wrath of Air

What Raid Frames should I use? The debate still goes on to this day. Grid? Grid2? Healbot? Ect. It’s really all a matter of personal use. I myself prefer grid2 for its smooth look and upgraded abilities over grid. Use what is most comfortable to you. You can find these addons and get them to work by using wowace, wowinterface, and curse and searching for previous downloads and getting the last version dated for 3.3.5

Professions? to get the maximum effect from your professions choose ones that boost spell power or haste such as JC, enchanting, LW, BS.. ect. If you really are about min/maxing your gear drop your gathering spec and go duel professions such as JC and enchanting as i am doing.

What about other addons? I personally use LuI although I run skada over recount (so I can see absorbs) ive also added fortexorcist for CD tracking and Eventalert to watch for key procs. Ive also added many other things to tweak the look but as you can see here is what It currently looks like. Clique is a great moseover addon that can be used for not only healing but any class or abilities in game. You can download all my current addons and variables by clicking here.
    Edited: January 9, 2016

2. Your "math" about Elemental Weapons are not 100% correct. You are getting 10% for each point not 10% for 3 points. (at the end 45 sp)
    Overall nice guide. Thx for that. Keep up the good work.
    Cheers

3. yea i knew i kept looking at it like it was wrong bc ive always told ppl its 45.

4. Very nice guide. good work.
    Im curious how trauma would be for aoe healing.
    Have u tested it? I guess it can proc quite often when u spam chain heal.

5. i test trauma all the time on my shaman, holy/disc priest,holy paladin, and druid its still suffering from that long internal CD although i do have a link to the bugtracker i made for Heroic Trauma Here.

6. Just tested trauma and recorded it. It really seems to have a icd of around 45 seconds.

7. try it again over a longer time unless they fixed it just recently it still not pulling the healing it should. that thing should stay procd almost 24/7 exspecially on a resto shaman and resto druid from rejuvs and earthliving procs. i know in retial it was pulling up to 10-12% of my healing done. ill test it in todays stream on my resto druid to confirm.

edit: is it procing off of direct heals or hots only? that too was happening at a certain point. its hard to tell in the vid what exactly is causing the proc.

8. The problem is that after 3 min i run oom when i spam hots like in the video so i cant test it longer.
    In the video i used only hots. Wild growth, rejuvenation and lifebloom on 8 different targets.
    Wild growth cause 6 healing ticks per second. Rejuv on 8 different targets cause every 3 sec 8 healing ticks.
    After all there are around 8 healing ticks per second in this video.
    Means 8% proc chance per second for trauma. At least every 12 seconds it should proc so it should have a uptime of around 50%-60%.
    Now i healed 3 mins long means it should have proced around 15 times if it would work correctly.
    Trauma used to have a 60% uptime for me but i think the last woltk update messed something up and gave trauma a icd.

9. Well done, we were missing good one :)

10. Just here via ur fb link.
    Nice guide,well detailed n coloured tho:D

11. two issues.

#1 Disagree with Haste and your spell explanations.

i feel like you underestimate [Tidal Waves] proc and how it works

Ripe tide -> Healing wave -> 0.9 second cast (1250 haste) -> healing wave (1.1 seconds) -> healing wave (1.5 seconds)

Ripe Tide -> chain heal (1.5 seconds) -> healing wave (1.1 seconds) -> healing wave (1.1 seconds) -> Healing wave (1.5 seconds)

a chain heal cast with out riptide 4piece is 1.7 seconds.

Riptide AND Chain heal provide two stacks of [Tidal Waves]

on low hp targets, if you consume BOTH [Tidal Waves] procs, then go LHW, cause 1.5 second Healing wave, or 1.7 second chain heal will get people dead.
    even with low cast times on LHW, its not strong enough, not even close, especially if you are haste stacking, you need the SP.

and even then, riptide -> healing wave x2 -> [Nature's Swiftness] -> Chain heal (even though its a weaker heal, it will give u two healing wave procs) -> healing wave x2 -> riptide -> healing wave x2 = 9 seconds of pure high end healing, assume 40% crit, 16k HPS x 9 seconds.(single target)

additional note, any more than 1250 haste = a spell cast cap, u can physically only cast 3 spells between rip tides, that means 1 rip tide -> 3 chain heals, rip tide off cd.
    rip tide -> Chain heal, healing wave, Chain heal, Riptide is off CD
    Rip tide -> chain heal -> healing wave x2, there is a small Gap before riptide is off CD, (1150 haste will cap this, but it burns your mana)

and final note on LHW cast time, 1250 haste, 1.11 second cast time. thats longer than healing wave with [Tidal Waves] procs

#2 Earth living weapon VS

[Tidal Force] 60% crit, with decent gear, you will over crit cap
    [Improved Earth Shield] 2% healing done (85% over heal)
    [Improved Reincarnation] why are you dying as a healer. a healer should never die, and if you do, u have anc for one fight,even if its a 1/2 hour CD. mistakes are made yes, but mistakes more than once every half hour is messed up, being a sharman shouldnt give excuses to mess up.

[Earth living weapons] 45 sp is a profession worth of sp.

but when the other options are Crit (lower prioty to SP, that is a massive over proc , vs steady constant sp), or "its ok to die often" tallent, or 2% healing done tallent, i vote Spell Power.

12. first off let me say that in this guide i make it very clear many times that there is no sure fire spec or way to do certain things. shamans are very versatile and players often take different views on how best to maximize their healing as well as survivability. in fact in my guild we have 5 resto shams all specd and glyphed differently but the core talents remain the same. this guide states that shamans are flexible and really hard to pin down as a "cookie cutter" spec. Talented shamans would be wise to run a double resto spec depending on the boss and carry different pieces of gear for healing certain bosses as well as glyphs to swap back and forth if we are talking really min/maxing gear here.

idk where your getting this CH is at 1.7 seconds. it varies on how much haste you carry. some restos like heavier haste and other prefer to not pour it on as strong. No matter what is procd (unless NS,4set rip, or hero) your not getting ch to significantly move enough. just at base(no buffs) atm im at 1.6 second CH. WOA totem at base is 1.5 sec cast time and totem plus rip and casting ch moves me to a 1.3 second cast this drops to a 1.06 in raid with rip up and no hero.

while using shattered ice totem full procd with WOA totem up im at 1.5 second cast and rip is putting it at 1.2 second cast time again this is all outside raid with no buffs except the ones listed. again idk where you got 1.7 seconds from as it can be reduced.

not sure where your getting LHW is 1.1 seconds bc i have it at 1 sec GCD cap atm.

80% of ICC bosses are AoE healing fights. yes there are times when holy paladins die and shamans are forced into tank healing positions and yes there are times when we have to save that super low HP dps with something other than chain heal however...

chain heal makes up a resto shaman without a doubt it makes up around 80-85% of the time if not more depending on the boss. if your really trying to time procs and tidal waves ( timing waves is not hard) just for that one moment when you need to top someone off instead of focusing on maxing your heals with your best heal as in focus your talents,gear, spec on chain heal and not other heals. take resto druids for example yes they have to peel off and do some direct heals sometimes but they dont worry about getting spec,gems,glyphs for 3rd or 4th used heals unless they are filler talents or glyphs. they focus on their top heals bc they do the most healing. plain and simple. same theory is applied with resto shamans, you should want to max your best heal while using spare talents and glyphs for secondary heals but not at the cost of giving up anything to do with CH.

EW for me? meh... i mean shamans do a lot of overhealing with CH so im just not sold on the EW some people swear by it and that is their choice me? id rather have 2 extra ES chances which have the potential to outheal that 45 sp provided they proc to full at least twice in the fight.

for example lets say ES hits at max for 4500 (its more about 3k-3.8k though) your 45 spell power has to hit 100 times just to equal 1 hit from ES it and if 2 ES proc at full from the extra two provided by the IMP talent you would have to hit 200 times with the EW bonus healing just to equal it. This is why i say IMP ES> 45 spell power on all heals. plus your not burning an early GCD to refresh it.

imp anhk is a blanket. personally i dont see the need for it and what exactly would you give up 3 points in the resto tree to get 3/3 EW? i can see moving 2/2 imp ES to 2/2 IMP AHNK but where are u taking the other 3 from 1 i would assume is tidal focus but then where do the other two come from to make up the difference. what happens if you dont die and those talents could have been used elsewhere in your spec to increase your healing?

shamans change literally from boss fight to boss fight if we are talking min/max the guide is here to help those who have no clue about shamans or have read the old outdated shaman guides before this to have a better understanding of the class.

i do appreciate the input though but you have to remember there are others out there who choose to run about 1.1k haste all the way to 1.9k it all varies so while your theory crafting may work for you and it looks legit there are so many different ways to play this class it all depends on what you find best for each boss.
    and yes Blue this guide is for 25m only not 10m

13. Fire- Flametounge if no ele shaman, Frost resist if not enough paladins.
    Last time I tested that, I found out, to my surprise, that they stack (where I was sure that they would not). Probably molten bugged, but... use Flametonge & Wrath.

As Funky stated, PandaMania, this guide is a 25man guide, where you should normally not often need huge single target burst. It is not the case in 10man (well, depends on whether you have a Holy Paladin or not), in which all you say makes perfect sense. Healing-wise, 25man is pretty different for shamans.

I'd just add, Chain Heal is a bit tricky, because it's efficiency is based on it's ability to chain. While hitting a melee, it's pretty obvious that you'll chain it properly. If you hit a tank with it... make sure that tank is not away from melee (Marrow: will chain to offtank and that's all, LK(ot): won't chain in phase 1, BPC: won't chain if the tank is not tanking the active one, and so on). While hitting a ranged, it's sometimes better to use a LHW (faster cast, almost the same healing, as CH won't chain and in most case triggering ancestral awakening, a proc that almost never overheal and heal another raid member), as ranged often happen to be spread (but again, in 10man, your CH will pretty much not chain, while in 25man, it's likely to chain in any cases).

In any cases, shaman is a matter of taste. Some like that CH spam, some don't. I don't, but it's personal.

14. ok so i went ahead and shot a quick video and the cast times of each heal pay attention to the buffs i put up each time

[YT]IaV0P7IvTuo[/YT]

you can see at the end with rip im getting CH to a 1.2 second cast outside of a raid with rip up and 1.5 without rip and shattered ice up at 5 stacks. so again im not sure where people get this 1.7 sec ch casting time from bc it can defiantly go lower depending on how much haste you rock.

15. First i tested the cast times with/without procs in two different gear set ups.

A) 1140 haste
    B) 1494 haste (to get to the 1494, i equipped CTS + DFO)

with Qwartz turned up to show 3 decimal places, these are the numbers it gives me.

Chain heal no Riptide , No Totem. A) 1.855 B) 1.717
    Chain heal no Riptide + Totem. A) 1.766 B)1.635
    Chain heal after Riptide, No totem. A) 1.545 B) 1.431
    Chain heal after Riptide + Totem. A) 1.472 B) 1.363

Heroism, Riptide, Totem, Chain heal. A) 1.132B) 1.048

354 haste vs 407 spell power
    if you add in totem, 574 haste vs 662 Sp if u add in relic
    the time difference is about 8% btw. (7.96% - 8.09%)

so in my view, that 8% haste isnt worth the massive SP you could gain

2nd tested LHW vs HW. (based on 4242 sp, 1140 haste)
    outside icc, non crit, 15xxx crit 22xxx
    cast speeds , riptide tidal Waves , totem = 0.942
    with out riptide, 1.130

LHW

outside icc, non crit, 62xx crit 92xx
    cast speeds, riptide tidal Waves , totem = 0.883
    with out riptide, 1.060

Healing differnce
    139.1% MORE healing done on Critical (more than double)
    141.9% MORE healing done non critical (more than double)

cast speed difference
    6,6% with Riptide
    6.6 without Riptide

Im sorry funky, but if you have Tidal wave procs, Healing Wave should take priory over LHW, even in an oh **** moment, even with a higher crit chance 12k isnt going to save a tank, a 30k crit, will.
    im thinking bigger aswell, forget tank healing, infest healing. chain heal, two players will be saved. LHW isnt going to save them with out spamming it 3 times. and LHW will consume ur procs.

#3 tallents, i drop improved ES, (es is about 2-4% healing done, and about 75% over heal, with tallents, its about 4%-6%, with 75% over heal, however u refresh it less, so saves a few GCD)

thats 2, i also dont run with improved rez, because i dont die, and ill only use it if its a sure kill, using it to revive from a shockwave or phase 1 of sindra is a waste in my view.
    AND i dont use tidal force, i find the massive crit bonus how ever strong it will be, to be wasted on such a large CD, 3 minutes, far to long for me.

http://armory.molten-wow.com/charact...aros/?group=1/
    is my spec. (earths grasp is for Vile spriits / rs25hc adds, not a must have, but i find it useful.)

123 ... Last