1. [Guide] Protection PVE Resources

Hello everybody. First, I would like to tell you something about myself and what you can expect from this "guide".

I lost interrest in wow a while back. I can't guaranteed that any information about current state of warmane is accurate. Most of things in here are still valid though, since it is not warmane specific.

I play wow (= warrior) since january 2009. I switched several servers, before I ended here. Majority of my playtime was spend on protection (even though I am an altoholic playing all classes), and I PVP only rarely. I love math, theorycrafting, and testing.

Warrior threat generation was fixed (as of 6/2015). We are now doing pretty good threat. How good warrior tank you are going to be depends on how well you can use all the tools you have at your disposal - other tanks have many things included for free in their rotation, while warrior has to actively use them (attack speed slow f.e.) That being said Warrior has potential to take least damage out of all tanks. (Paladin instead provides awesome utility + ardent, Druid massive EHP pool, DK avoidance + selfhealing)

You will notice that I am not trying to say how are you supposed to play like many others. I dont want to - I want to provide resources, so you can find your own way. I want to present multiple possibilities and mention their consequences. Main reason for this is that I have only limited insight into your situation. I can tell you what worked for me and when and why. But you have to decide what will work best in your situation.

Feel free to check video of Warrior MT LoD by Shizel here.

Table of Content

1) Talents...........................
    2) Glyphs..........................
    2.1) Survivability...
    2.2) Threat...........
    2.3) Rage.............
    2.4) Minor............
    3) Abilities.........................
    3.1) At pull...........
    3.2) Single Target
    3.3) AoE..............
    3.4) Shouts..........
    3.5) Situational.....
    4) Defensive Cooldowns...
    5) Stats..............................
    5.1) Survivability...
    5.2) Avoidance....
    5.3) Threat...........
    6) Gear.............................
    7) Gems............................
    8) Enchants.......................
    9) Consumables................
    10) Proffesions.......................
    11) Macros............................
    12) Addons...........................
    13) Tips & Tricks....................

1) Talents
    Spoiler: Show

Green = Must have
    Red = Rage
    Blue = Threat
    Yellow = Other options

This is my general-use talent build. - As you can see I am not a fan of Rage talents. Its simply because I find them useless. When you are main-tanking you have enough rage for everything, when you are offtanking you don`t need rage.

If you find yourself lacking rage while maintanking, it means that you are heavily overgeared for the instance. Rather consider swapping to some dps gear (trinkets,...) while keeping defensive cap ("Stats" section).

Improved Thunder Clap
    Attack speed slow is a great dmg reduction and 30% bonus dmg from Thunder clap is awesome aoe threat bonus.

Incite
    15% crit to HS, Cleave, Thunder Clap - great for both aoe and single target threat.

One-Handed Weapon Specialization
    10% bonus dmg ~= 10% bonus threat.

Improved Disciplines
    Awesome synergy between this and Glyph of Shield Wall ("Glyph" section). Great for Gunship and LK, especially on heroic difficulty.

Safeguard
    External defensive cooldown usable every 30s. Very good, if you offtank at LK (you can even mitigate EVERY soulreaper with this). Only downside is that your target will loose 10% of their total threat.

Improved Cleave
    Good for aoe threat, especially at low gear.

Piercing Howl
    Control Viles.

Commanding Presence
    Nice boost to your EHP, but fury can take this, while loosing almost nothing.

Improved Demoralizing Shout
    Increases attackpower reduction.

Impale
    20% bonus crit dmg sounds great, especially when you realise how much bonus crit % you can have from other talents. Best optional threat talent. Only downside is that you need to waste 5 talents into arms tree to get this.

Deep Wounds
    Even more threat from crits.

3) Glyphs

Glyph of Taunt
    Increases spell hit chance of your taunt by 8%. This is together with 9% spell hit from gear a must have anytime you need to be sure that you will land your Taunt. You might be able to get a reset from your "Vigilance" in most cases, but those when you don`t = wipe.

2.1) Survivability
    Glyph of Last Stand
    Decreases Last Stand cooldown by 3 minutes, making it 2 minute CD.

Glyph of Shield Wall
    Decreases Shield Wall cooldown by 2 minutes and lowers its damage reduction from 60% to 40%. Great synergy with "Improved Disciplines" (Talents) makes this ability 2 min cd. (40% dmg reduction is enough)

If you have both of those glyphs you can use a really strong defensive cooldown every minute. Pair that with Shield Block and 4t10 bonus and you can use defensive cooldown every 30s on yourself. Its my no1 choice also because you jump on gunship 1/minute (you have def cd for every jump) and LKs Soul Reaper has 30s cd. But both of those glyphs loose value on shorter fights, since you would be able to use them only once anyways.

Glyph of Blocking
    Increses block Value by 10% after Shield Slam. Strong glyph for both survivability and threat.

Glyph of Enraged Regeneration
    Increases healing of this ability. (heals you for 40% instead of 30%) of your total hp over 10s.

2.2) Threat
    Glyph of Vigilance
    Transfers 15% instead of 10% targets aggro.

Glyph of Devaste
    Applies 2 stacks of sunder armor.
    It is often unclear how this glyph increases aggro.. Devaste threat has 2 parts. 1 part is from damage dealt (which is increased with slower weapon - "Stats" section) and other part is constant for sunder armor effect, this glyph doubles this constant.

Glyph of Blocking
    Increses block Value by 10% after Shield Slam. Strong glyph for both survivability and threat.

Glyph of Cleaving
    Cleave hits 3 instead of 2 targets. Great for starting in dungeons.

Glyph of Shockweave
    Lowers Shockweave cooldown from 20s to 17s. Again great for starting in dungeons.

2.3) Rage
    Glyph of Revenge
    Next Heroic Strike after Revenge is free.

Glyph of Heroic Strike
    Crit with Heroic Strike returns 10 rage.

Both of those are great for leveling. I find them useless in raids (since I am not lacking rage at all), but if you need more rage and are not worried about survivability...

2.4) Minors
    Glyph of Thunderclap
    Increased range of Thunderclap makes it a bit easier to pull a huge amount of adds.

Glyph of Command
    You don`t have to think about refreshing it that often.

Glyph of Battle
    I use Battle Shout instead of Command in 5mans. And in bgs, when I am tired of pve.

Glyph of Charge
    Better range on charge sometimes comes in handy.

Glyph of Bloodrage
    No damage taken from Bloodrage, ok choice if you don`t have 4t10 (yet).

3) Abilities

Vigilance
    Transfers 10% of targets threat to you. Resets taunt cd everytime your Vigilance target is attacked.
    There are 2 logical targets for this ability. Damage dealear who does most threat (look at your meter). Or other tank. Place it on tank whenever you are sure that he is not going to have any threat problems. When I MT at LK I place this on top dps, and switch it to OT after burst (20s). I can then get any ghoul that runs away from either of us.

3.1) At pull
    Retaliation
    Causes you to autoattack in retaliation to up to 20 attacks in next 12s.
    Less risky than Recklessness, and my prefered. Battle Stance -> Retaliation -> Defensive Stance -> Charge to pull boss.

Recklessness
    Guarantees your next 3 special attacks to crit, but increses damage taken by 20% for its duration.
    More risky, threat boost is about the same, but this time it is guaranteed, Retaliation threat boost is rng based. Again switch to Berserker Stance, use this, back to Defensive Stance, and use your top 3 abilities (skip Heroic Strike).

3.2) Single Target
    Heroic Strike
    Upgrades your next meele attack to ability. Which makes it impossible to be Glancing Blow. Adds minor dmg and treat bonus for each use.
    Should be used on every attack, but skip a few Heroic Strikes if you are temporary out of rage.

Shield Slam
    No 1 threat/GCD ability since it has additional 30% threat multiplyer.

Revenge
    Strong 2 target dmg - 2nd best threat/GCD.

Devaste
    Sunder armor replacement. Causes 120% of weapon dmg + bonus threat for application (or refreshment) of sunder armor effect.
    3rd best threat/GCD if you have slow weapon (2.6). In case you have fast weapon both Shockweave and Concussion Blow should do a little more threat.
    Note, that sunder armor and armor penetration are not the same effects and sundering armor further increases dmg even for hard arpen capped players. I might add the math later, for now you can trust me, that it increases physical dmg (except bleeds) by +-10%.

Rend
    Rend can provide more threat than Devaste when boss is above 75% hp, Especially if you have it talented.

3.3) AoE
    Cleave
    Same as Heroic Strike, just makes your autoattack hit 1 more enemy.

Thunder Clap
    Shockweave does more threat, but it is more difficult to land.
    Use Thunder Clap on adds to slow them - so they can be easier positioned for Shockweave.

Shockweave
    Huge frontal cone damage + stun.
    Stuned mobs do not give you rage, keep this on mind when you approach huge number of adds and lack rage.

3.4) Shouts
    Battle Shout
    Use this for leveling or when you are lacking paladin might buff, and have destro lock/other war in group.

Commanding Shout
    Do not let this fall, always refresh it before its down, not after it disappears.

Demoralizing Shout
    Lowers attackpower of nearby enemies, causes minor amount of threat.
    Surprisingly effective damage reduction especially at low lvls.

Intimidating Shout
    AoE fear.
    Helps CC at Lady.

Challenging Shout
    Makes all nearby mobs attacking you for 6 seconds, does not alter threat tables (they will go back to their previous targets, unless you overaggro them meanwhile).

3.5) Situational
    Consussion Blow
    5s single target stun.
    Should be quite good aggro source as well. (but many bosses are immune to this)

Mocking Blow
    Causes target to attack you for 6s. Does not change threat table.
    Great for using just before someone is going to take aggro from you. They will be first in aggro, but boss is still going to attack you, and you can safely taunt it once this effect ends.

Heroic Throw
    One of your few ranged abilities.
    You can use this while charging to boss at start.

Shoot
    Or Throw, simply your ranged weapon.
    Surprisingly good when you can not move and have to get Nucleii/shoot down Kinetic Bombs at bpc.

Bloodrage
    Use before pull to get that starting rage. Otherwise pretty useless (unless you have 4t10).

Berserker Rage
    Fear imunity.
    BQL/some adds.

Disarm
    Most bosses are immune. Has its uses in 5mans.

Shield Bash
    Spell interrupt.
    5mans, drake before Sindra.

Spell Reflection
    Should be usefull on lady/Keleseth, but sometimes feels kind of buggy.

4) Defensive cooldowns

Shield Block
    Doubles your shield block value. And increses your block chance by 100%.
    Surprisingly strong. Guarantees to reduce incomming hit by at least almost 5k or almost 10k when critical block occurs. LK hits for 30-40k depending on Necrotic Plague Stacks. -> 12%/25% - 18% on average physical damage reduction for 10s. I am using this together with Bloodrage and trinket as defensive for every second Soul Reaper.

Bloodrage (4t10)
    Shield equal to 20% of your current max hp.
    In my opinion significantly stronger than Enraged Regeneration. Since this hp comes instantly and not as a hot. Pop this whenever you get below 50%, unless you need it for something else.
    Stacks with Last Stand.

Shield Wall
    Your strongest Defensive cooldown. But you have to use it before you expect huge load of damage. Using it after you have dropped too low will not save you.

Last Stand
    Increases your max hp by 30% for 20s.
    Can be succesfully used both before and after incomming damage spike. Highest probability of saving you when you drop really low.

Enraged Regeneration
    30% of your total hp over 10s.
    Since its hot, you ussually use this only with conjunction with other abilities.

5) Stats

5.1) Survivability
    Defense
    Makes you immune to crits. (and increses avoidance)
    Defense cap = amount of defense you need to be uncritable (note that defense still increases avoidance chance past this point) = 25 + 5 * attacker level. (= 535 for 5man heroics and 540 for raids)

EHP
    Efective health = Your max hp / (1 - percentage of armor reduction)
    Basically tells you how much (physical) damage you can take without incoming heals before you die.
    More of this stat is ussually better, but there are some exceptions (like loosing 0.3% EHP and getting 5% threat or avoidance).

Note that armor reduction in game tooltip is vs lvl 80 opponent, for reduction vs raid bosses use this formula: Damage Reduction% = Armor / (Armor + 16 635). Damage reduction from armor caps at 75% (= 49 905 armor) which is unreachable.

Resistances
    I might rewrite this myself later, for now read this Elitist Jerks article.
    Usefull mainly for tanking Sindragosa (frost resist gear from bs and jwc) and Keleseth (tbc shadow resist gear).

5.2) Avoidance
    Defense
    Increases your chance to be missed, dodged, parried, and to block enemy attack.
    Best avoidance stat.

Dodge
    Second best avoidance stat.

Parry
    Ussually not worth getting due to having higher diminishing returns than dodge. (If you have less dodge ratting than 1.88 * parry ratting, dodge provides more avoidance.)

Block
    Not a pure avoidance stat. Reduces damage taken from enemy attack by a flat amount (which is counted after armor damage reduction).

Note: It is possible to get high-end unhittable set (getting enough avoidance to make block/dodge/parry or be missed by every enemy attack - outside icc ofc). It does not have much practical uses, but its fun for soloing vanilla/tbc world bosses. Since your block value is high enough to negate any physical attack.

I used it on third miniboss (the one that reduces armor) in RS 25n yesterday to test it out and it turned out to be great for this particular encounter. I took 150k dmg while tanking boss, and 2 offtanks (both paladins btw) each over 750k dmg from adds. Damage is more spiky though - let your healer know in case you are about to try this.

5.3) Threat
    Weapon Speed
    Slow weapon means (2.6) a little bit less aggro from Heroic Strike (less Heroic Strikes overall), but significantly more aggro from Devaste. Resulting in ~5% total threat increase.

Expertise
    Reduces chance of being dodged/parried. (I believe that Warmane bosses do not parry atm, which makes Expertise less worth atm, but still 4 expertise ~= 1% of total threat).
    Cap is at 22 expertise atm. (Should be at 26, might be repaired in the future.)

I consider one expertise item to be a must-have on warrior tank. On retail it was more desired stat due to:
    Parry Haste
    Whenever you or mob parries an attack, the attack timer of next attack is reduced. (Getting parryed = boss attacks faster -> you take more dmg.) I believe that it is currently broken on warmane, but I heared that it might occur sometimes - keep an eye on this and get more expertise in case you see any parry from boss.

Hit
    Reduces chance of missing an attack. (1% of hit ~= 1% total threat increase)
    Cap is at 8% of meele hit.
    I highly recommend getting at least 9% of spell hit + Glyph of Taunt. (To make Taunt always hit.)

Don`t worry about rest, you will get it without focusing on it.

6) Gear

Piece of gear that is currently best for you depends on the rest of your gear and on particular encounter. Sometimes the best stat you can get is avoidance (3rd miniboss in rs/soloing), sometimes stamina and resistances (kele/sindra), sometimes EHP (lk mt - most of his dmg to you comes from his autoattack + he hits like a truck - armor shines in this fight).

There are several variants of items fit for most of the slots (in order of general use viewability) together with reason why could it be best (f.e. avoidance means that its best item for getting as much avoidance as possible, but is not that good in other situations).

Head
    Broken Ram Skull Helm - hit
    Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Greathelm

Neck
    Bile-Encrusted Medallion
    Noose of Malachite - avoidance/hit

Shoulder
    Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Pauldrons

Back
    Royal Crimson Cloak
    Sentinel's Winter Cloak - armor

Chest
    Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Breastplate
    Blightborne Warplate - avoidance

Wrist
    Bracers of Dark Reckoning
    Gargoyle Spit Bracers - armor

Hands
    Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Handguards

Waist
    Belt of Broken Bones
    Verdigris Chain Belt - armor

Legs
    Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Legguards - expertise
    Legguards of Lost Hope - hit

Feet
    Treads of Impending Resurrection
    Grinning Skull Greatboots - expertise

Ring
    Devium's Eternally Cold Ring
    Juggernaut Band

Signified Ring of Binding - armor/resistances
    Loop of the Twin Val'kyr - armor/easy to get

Trinket
    Petrified Twilight Scale
    Sindragosa's Flawless Fang

Unidentifiable Organ - armor
    Juggernaut's Vitality - stamina
    Corroded Skeleton Key - stamina/easy to get
    Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman - avoidance
    Corpse Tongue Coin - avoidance

Weapon
    Havoc's Call, Blade of Lordaeron Kings - weapon speed/armor(agility)
    Bloodvenom Blade - weapon speed/armor(agility)/hit
    Mithrios, Bronzebeard's Legacy - stamina/expertise/avoidance

Shield
    Icecrown Glacial Wall
    Neverending Winter - avoidance

Ranged
    Dreamhunter's Carbine
    Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets - hit/easy to get

7) Gems

Meta
    32 stam + 2% armor

Blue
    30 stam

Red
    10 dodge + 15 stam - a little more avoidance
    10 agi + 15 stam - little less avoidance, than 10 dodge, but some armor (1 agi = 2 armor)
    10 expertise + 15 stam - if you are desperately trying to find a bit more threat

Yellow
    10 hit + 15 stam - that last bit of hit to have taunt capped
    10 defense + 15 stam

You can go with 30 stam in every socket, but I higly recommend to keep at least every socket bonus that gives 6+ stamina.

8) Enchants

Head
    Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Argent Crusade

Shoulder
    Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle - Sons of Hodir
    Greater Inscription of the Gladiator - PVP
    Fortitude of the Scourge - Voteshop
    Master's Inscription of the Pinnacle - Inscription only

Chest
    Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats
    Enchant Chest - Super Health

Hands
    Enchant Gloves - Armsman
    Gloves Reinforcements - Leatherworking
    Heavy Borean Armor Kit - Leatherworking (pick this over ^ on pure spell fights, otherwise armor provides more EHP.
    Recticulated armor webbing - Engineering only

Feet
    Enchant Boots - Tuskar's Vitality

Legs
    Frosthide Leg Armor - Leatherworking

Wrist
    Enchant Brecers - Major Stamina
    Fur Lining - Stamina - Leatherworking only

Cloak
    Enchant Cloak - Mighty Armor
    Parachute from engineering is not worth it. (It is good only on VDW encounter.)

Shield
    Titanium Plating - Blacksmithing (receipe is reward from reputation with Alliance Vanguard/Horde expedition)

You can also get defense ratting enchant -> use that one if you are below def cap (Stats section).
    Other option is TBC enchant with 18 stamina - but its good only on full spell dmg fights (kele). - BV from plating synergizes well with Shield Block ability (defensives section).

Weapon
    Enchant Weapon - Blade Ward - Not worth it, really low uptime.
    Enchant Weapon - Blood Draining - Only EHP option, ~2.8k heal in ICC - my choice atm.
    Enchant Weapon - Exceptional Agility - I prefer this one to Mongoose, since I do not like procs while tanking.
    Enchant Weapon - Mongoose - Great enchant, but does not have 100% uptime.

9) Consumables

Flask
    Flask of Stoneblood - Only flask worth using is 1300 hp. Last 2 hours, doesnt expire with death.

Elixirs
    You can use one battle and one guardian elixir instead of a flask. Downside is that they last only an hour and are removed if you die. There is wide variety of stats they provide - if you need to cap defense/expertise/hit... Best combination is probably:
    Guru's Elixir
    Elixir of Protection
    I recommend using Flask, especially during progression.

Food
    Blackened Dragonfin - Best food is agi (armor) + stam, you can also use hit/expertise food, but I would recommend getting those from gear. Fish Feast is good enough if you want to save the effort.

Potion
    Indestructible Potion - Have a few stacks of those ready. They are usefull at LK the most. (prepot one and use second on the start of ph2).
    Nelfs can make this pot to have 100% uptime with smeld

Scroll
    Scroll of Stamina VIII

10) Proffesions

Best proffesions are ENG (885 armor on gloves + better health pots) + JWC (63 stam).
    LW gives 62 stamina or 70 resist (better wrist enchant) and is 3rd.
    ENCH, BS, Mining all give 60 stamina and are 4th.
    I would not recommend getting Alchemy, Skinning, Tailoring, or Inscription, but difference is not that big at the end of the day..

11) Macros

Unhittable macro
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))
    it tells you your current total avoidance + block (change 5 to 7 in formula if you are Night Elf)

Pure avoidance
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Total avoidance: %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))

it tells you your current total avoidance + block (change 5 to 7 in formula if you are Night Elf)

Whisper to focus "taunt"
    /run SendChatMessage("taunt","WHISPER",nil,UnitName("fo cus"))

Shout reminder
    /in 180 /w your_name renew shout_name

this macro whispers you "renew bs/cs" 180 seconds after you used it - you can set it to /w you later I just like to know in advance

Mouseover Intervene
    /cast [target=mouseover] Intervene

12) Addons

Tankpoints Helps with counting your EHP, you can change your stats with this addon as well to see how much would something improve your tanking ability.
    GTFO Makes noise when you take dmg by avoidable source (you stand in marrow flame, etc). I find it very usefull since some such effects are a bit wider than their graphics here on molten.
    Tidy plates Better nameplates.
    Threat plates Theme for tidy plates that shows aggro percentage on nameplates.
    Vigilance tracker Shows name of your vigilance target and allows simple recast.
    DBM Shows incomming boss abilities. (important for timing your defensives)
    Some threat monitor (I use Skada since it also gives me a look at heals + absorbs after the fight, but Omen is more common).
    Any Raid frames to have good raid awarness (I use Grid2).

13) Tips & Tricks

AoE Threat
    You don`t need full tank gear to tank trash, especially when you are overgeared. You can make set with 540 defense and rest of the gear being your dps parts. This is also a good idea for rdf hc`s (I often top rdf dmg with my prot war, even vs 6k rets).
    Carefull with this in ICC, cause combat bug. (unless you are Night Elf as I am)

Intervene
    This ability also removes any movement slows - great for Sindragosa.

Indestructible Potion
    3.5k armor for 2 mins. Get a few stacks of those. Use them for LK. (prepot 1, use 2nd at the start of 2nd phase)
    Nelfs can make this pot 100% uptime with Shadowmelt(it will reset pot cd), while MTaking - use pot at the end of transition phase, shadowmelt and immediatelly move.

Combat bug
    Use combat bug to your adventage. You are not loosing rage while in combat - you can start every fight with 100 rage while in combat bug.

Engineering
    I have second pair of gloves with rocket enchant (40y range, 45s cd) just for Keleseth. - Taking nucleuses at range while not having to move.
    Second boots with nitro enchant for even better movement.
    Second back with parachute is usefull for VDW. And for entering ICC while the entrance is full of enemy faction.
    Edited: November 18, 2017 Reason: Update after major bugfixes.

Harabec
    Fantastic guide, I'm miraculously able to hold threat as a 2.9k gs Warrior against a 6.2k gs Retribution Paladin with a taunt every once in a while. Before I used this spec, I would get totally ignored by every mob that was pulled.

Of course, it's still a case of "How dare you enter heroics with less than 6k GS" but at least I'm able to do my job properly now. Thanks for posting this guide.

Regards from Lordaeron.

3. Great guide, this hand enchant worth to be mention:

Glove Reinforcements

4. Thanks for feedback and suggestion, I added the gloves enchant.

5. I got a better guide: don't play prot war.

6. I got a better guide: don't play prot war.
    Coments like this are not welcome in this thread. This thread is ment to help players become better at facing difficulties (mainly rummors), while playing war tank, and to be succesfull with it (it is very possible to MT/OT LoD, and solotank Bane with skilled and geared warrior).

Feel free to ask questions, give suggestions and discuss. But do not dare to bother others with your ignorance or lack of guts.

7. Gj for guide. nothing to say. maybe few things. for sure war tank can do LK 25hc as MT. i've done that few times with no big problems. Also RS 25hc. also im taking less dmg then my full prot pala. so yea. GJ and keep it up

just one opinion. fk armor. armor is not everything. health it is. why. its simple in my opinion. having +6k more are its like 1.5%-2% physical dmg reduction. if a melee atk hits you for 35k dmg you gonna mitigate 700 dmg. having armor gear on you , makes you to loose around 2k in ICC buffed. maybe more. having more HP give your raid healer a bigger chance to keep you alive. remember that ICC is spike dmg encounter. health is more important. i have 51k unbuffed in dalaran and im not full yet. but its my personal opinion. also seems like expertise parry haste works some times in game. so keep it around 20 to be sure.

8. first off gj on guide
    second why you guys making it so hard, let's talk about lower geared tanks compare 5.8k warr vs pala tank which can tank easier considering threat and damage taken
    in specific situation such as 10 man raids no hunter or rogue so threat of warr tank is !@#$
    but pala can make it
    even the damage taken by warr is way more extensive why are you making healers job hard while there's pala tank to make it easier
    about bis warr tanks look in every realm's page where every good guild posts their lk/halion kills and set the percentages of pala vs warr tanking then you will get what i mean (e.g the OP guild does kill halion not using a warr tank single time since they start farming it)

yea warr tank is funny to play but let's face it it's not blizzard it's a private server with all its cons and pros and we shall wait till they fix it to 100%

9. first off gj on guide
    second why you guys making it so hard, let's talk about lower geared tanks compare 5.8k warr vs pala tank which can tank easier considering threat and damage taken
    in specific situation such as 10 man raids no hunter or rogue so threat of warr tank is !@#$
    but pala can make it
    even the damage taken by warr is way more extensive why are you making healers job hard while there's pala tank to make it easier
    about bis warr tanks look in every realm's page where every good guild posts their lk/halion kills and set the percentages of pala vs warr tanking then you will get what i mean (e.g the OP guild does kill halion not using a warr tank single time since they start farming it)

yea warr tank is funny to play but let's face it it's not blizzard it's a private server with all its cons and pros and we shall wait till they fix it to 100%
    Please don't start with the warrior tank threat myth. As far as I know Warrior do have this annoying bug with Block values but the threat is not a problem as before.

At this moment a warrior tank can only lose aggro only at the beginning of the fight if he doesn't open the encounter properly, same as paladin. Don't you already learn that you have to give few seconds for the paladin to secure aggro at the beginning? Is the same crap with warrior, the problem is Warrior does not pull a boss in the same way as a Paladin.

My main character is Shaman healer for very long time that I'm even sick of it, and honestly I do give a %^&* what ever tank class is willing to engage in a boss fight.

For me (as healer) all tanks are the same, they need smart heals, if they don't then what the freaking point of a healer in the raid, I don't join a raid as healer just to AFK and watch TV during the fight.

10. Gj for guide. nothing to say. maybe few things. for sure war tank can do LK 25hc as MT. i've done that few times with no big problems. Also RS 25hc. also im taking less dmg then my full prot pala. so yea. GJ and keep it up

just one opinion. fk armor. armor is not everything. health it is. why. its simple in my opinion. having +6k more are its like 1.5%-2% physical dmg reduction. if a melee atk hits you for 35k dmg you gonna mitigate 700 dmg. having armor gear on you , makes you to loose around 2k in ICC buffed. maybe more. having more HP give your raid healer a bigger chance to keep you alive. remember that ICC is spike dmg encounter. health is more important. i have 51k unbuffed in dalaran and im not full yet. but its my personal opinion. also seems like expertise parry haste works some times in game. so keep it around 20 to be sure.
    Thanks for feedback.

There is however a mistake in your math. You apply extra 2% reduction to already mitigated value, which makes it seem less effective. You need to apply it to number before mitigation.

Not sure how much armor you already have, so I am going to count with 70% reduction which is obtainable without focusing on armor too much. Lets say you got hit for 35k. That means that it would be (35k = 30% -> 35/30 * 100) 116.67k before armor reduction. With 72% armor reduction this attack would take: 32.67k hp. Thats 2.3k difference per hit.

You are also not going to die to 1 hit. It takes at least 2 hits in a row without getting any heal to die.
    2% extra armor reduction would in this case be worth 4.6k max hp.

I have seen LoD to be maintanked by full stamina tanks as well as full armor tanks. I don`t like either. That is why I introduced only EHP and didn`t mention stam vs armor at all. I see great synergy between these two, which makes balance between them more effective than full focus on either.

(My armor pieces are t10 hands and chest, neck, ring, and 1 trinket.)

That parry haste thing is new for me.. I should definitelly add this mechanic.. It didn`t occur to me personally (but that might be cause I have 22 expertise - I just do not like to see my attacks being dodged.)

11. first off gj on guide
    but pala can make it

Ty for response.

I have never had a threat problem unless I had multiple overgeared damagers in group. (1 of them is easy to deal with - Vigilance)

Yes, paladin does have higher threat. (And can even pop wings on start to boost it even further) But it is not a big problem, unless again you have at least 2 damagers in group, that are way more geared than you.

I have never experienced problem with taking significantly more damage than other tanks. (My healers confirmed this to me.) I even solotanked sindra 10hc back then when I was 5.9 (I switched to frost gear.).

I can`t speak for other realms/guilds, but in guilds that I know of almost noone plays prot war (they just prefer playing their pallys/dks).

Yes this is a private server, which also means that there is always going to be something different. If we waited till everything was fixed we would be never able to play. I know about difficulties connected to prot warrior, although I see them mainly in people who never tryed to master one or have tryed and were so discouraged by the rest of community, that they gave up and now only repeat what they heared without testing/trying to overcome that. I want to provide encouragement for those endurant ones, it is doable.

12. those who saying they soloed bane with warr tank or main tanked lod (which i doubt u did) i want u to post video of the kill

then u proved ur point with strong evidence

13. you could put a BIS list of all armor items rest is very nice +1

14. I must say it is a very good guide especially for beginners who want to accept the challenge in getting a warrior tank and showing those ignorant fools how good the class is :D

Next week im planing to release a video Lich King 25HC Warrior MT POV, ill post it here just so that nobody will be able to say warrior is s*** or omg its impossible to tank LK25HC with a warrior :P

123 ... Last