1. Bauble of True Blood and Solace of the Defeated. Sp and mp5, everyyhing else is either waste of time or money since you run oom too fast plus you are the meatshield in basically every situation.

Also i think that wisdom ring from icc is superior to destruction, just gem one 20 hit.
    Edited: September 1, 2016

2. I think you forgot to add shadow priest/ret paladin,i've heard is pretty op,or it was disco/ret?

I think ret/spriest owns unholy/spriest.

3. can i ask something?why shadow priest where is the only class with double bonus crtl dmg 100% by talents and 100% by shadowform play with zero crtl?

4. Time your silence right. In Frost Mage/Shadow Priest setup you should be the first one to use it, due its longer cooldown.
    Excuse me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be the other way if you plan for a short fight as double DPS?
    Mage silence first, then the SP, then the mage again?
    Assuming you put some CC/stun in between, wouldn't it be a better way to handle the situation?

5. On the one hand this gear setup and spec (with defensive trinkets) is enteirly valid for top arena, especially SP DK 2s, i mean you're with the biggest joke of a class in wotlk decked out in SM and BiS, it's legit. Also decent setup many other dps, and actually great fun to play in a 3 huge dps 1 heal + you premade in a BG (if facing another similar premade i.e. almost never nowadays) but claiming this is the be all and end all, and demonizing Phyl, is just as narrow minded as those who only ever play Phyl and crit crit crit. Horses for courses.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be the other way if you plan for a short fight as double DPS?
    Mage silence first, then the SP, then the mage again?
    Assuming you put some CC/stun in between, wouldn't it be a better way to handle the situation?
    In this comp there is the logic that you aren't chaining silence on DR unless you are going for a kill (or have to survive), i.e. usually not at the start of a fight, the priest silences first so their silence is up again sooner, ready for the earliest point you might realistically be able to get a kill by silencing to DR, you would only want to save priest silence and use mage iCS (when both are available) if you are advanced enough not to need this guide: i.e. you are looking 20sec+ into the future and see an upcoming kill opportunity/certainty at that point in time from silence followed by iCS, in that case you use the mage iCS so you keep the Silence for the opportunity you have identified since you know the iCS will be ready again by that point. (Ofc if you see the opportunity is 45sec in the future then you use your silence first instead). Also if you identify potentially dangerous opportunities for them in the future you may want to hold back the the priest silence if it could mitigate that situation, should the mage get cced.
    Edited: January 20, 2017

6. Let's say I won't play arena at all(or only just to get my wf pieces). And I'll focus on world pvp and BGs.

Won't it be better if I get 3 pieces mooncloth and 2 pieces satin(for extra crit and res) and halion bracers(for more extra crit + socket and overall better stats than the wf one)?
    Also Phylactery or Dislodged, considering I already have CTS?
    And use more crit-oriented talent build.

7. Here's my 2 schmeckles:

First comes first. In order to get the best out of your class you need to have a proper gear setup. As it is well known, Shadow Priests have some mana issues and they tend to go oom quickly if they don't have the right gear with mana regeneration. That's why our main goal is to get the 5/5 spirit Mooncloth Wrathful set to aid us with our mana pool issues. A lot of priests, however, tend to bring an argument about how 5/5 Satin gear is better and that stacking crit is the only way to go. Let me assure you that once you enter arena and face a fairly decent compilation of opponents, you will cry out loud about being oom to your partner within first 5 minutes of a match, cursing the world for picking that "muuh damage" crit gear over the mooncloth one.
    Satin has its place in burst heavy 2s comps, just like Mooncloth is preferable in drawn-out 3s games. There's no point in preaching extremes.

Also, there's another argument which exists among priests: getting 2 parts of Satin & 2 parts of Mooncloth for extra resilience bonus. I won't even bring up the discussion on how 4 pieces set bonus outperforms that small amount of gain in your resilience numbers.
    This is not as clear-cut as the OP makes it sound. The set bonus is not that good and it requires the priest to make constant active use of it. The bonus resilience on the other hand is always present and always doing work, even when the priest is CC-ed. You are the punching bag of any melee team, all that damage reduction adds up and helps you stay on the offensive longer. The real downside here is that you'll be splitting some spirit and crit, which is not ideal but not the end of the world.

Basically there are three options to go for and all of them are classic 20/0/51 builds with minor differences:

The Mana Saving one:
    Spoiler: Show

The Mind Blast one:

And the Power Word: Shield one:

As you can see, there's not much difference between all of them, except the last one where you take the http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=14748 instead of http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=14520 which is not that good. I'd rather have extra mana for 3K more damage than extra ~1K shield absorption.

Also, as you can see in shadow tree you can put 2 points either into http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=33213 for mana, either make 4/5 in http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=15273 or even take a http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=14910. In the end it all comes to your own personal preference. Experiment!
    If you have anywhere from 10% crit upwards, there's really no reason for you not to take http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=14910. It's extra damage for your dots, made even better by the dominance of PvE gear in the Icecrown meta, because you can both get more crit for yourself and crit more on people that sacrifice resilience for PvE stats. http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=33213 is an absolute trash of a talent if you're not spamming mind sear, don't bother.

5. Use your dispersion as defensive cooldown and not as mana regeneration one.
    Why? Dispersion is both. You should use it as the situation demands. There's more than one way to survive burst, you shouldn't be sitting there, oom with your thumb up your *** out of fear that you might die. If you have no mana, you're about as useful as a dead priest anyway.

This is just bad advice. Dispelling VT, followed by all the other priest dots is the best way to counter their damage. It barely does 4.5k, that's about 2 VT ticks. you can soak all of that with a single shield. Ideally you wanna do it out of LoS so it doesn't get reapplied instantly. There are exceptions of course, like when you're being bursted and you have dots on you, you don't wanna waste globals dispelling that just to take damage faster but generally, dispelling VT and the other dots reduces pressure on your team.

Let's say I won't play arena at all(or only just to get my wf pieces). And I'll focus on world pvp and BGs.

Won't it be better if I get 3 pieces mooncloth and 2 pieces satin(for extra crit and res) and halion bracers(for more extra crit + socket and overall better stats than the wf one)?
    Also Phylactery or Dislodged, considering I already have CTS?
    And use more crit-oriented talent build.
    In BGs, I would advise you to go for spirit over crit and spec for spirit tap, as you'll be doing a lot of constant dotting. It's gonna reduce your downtime by a lot. For world PvP, what you have in mind is probably better, since you want to end fights as quickly as possible. Dislodged is better than Phylactery, unless you have absurd amounts of haste already, like 1200+, in that case you should go Phylactery.
    Edited: February 8, 2017

8. May 1, 2017  

9. could you please renew the links or atleast write down the names of gems/gear .

great guide so far ( beginner spriest here :D)

10. Link are dead sadly :/ Good guide otherwise

11. Would be great with updated, working links.

12. 10/10 guide, have no idea what I need because links are broken.

13. The set bonus is not that good and it requires the priest to make constant active use of it. The bonus resilience on the other hand is always present and always doing work, even when the priest is CC-ed.
    The set bonus IS that good though. People constantly underrate it. Yes it requires active participation but providing that you won't be playing with a healer then you always will be casting PW:S on cooldown.

I can see the attraction of another 2 piece set bonus, but it's almost always a noob trap. Either run full Satin or full Mooncloth, no in between.

- Silent

First 1234 Last