Why, hello there forum members. I'm Convulsionzx, and recently I have written down a guide specifically for my class, which happened to include a paragraph specifically dedicated to keybindings. It came out as a big part of a guide and I thought that I should make a separate extended version of this guide for everyone else to see. Maybe it will be helpful for a lot of people out there who are still brand new to game and still in their clicker phase, as well as to people who wish to extend their knowledge and mobility with their current keybind setup and step up their game. In any case - relax & enjoy.

This guide will consist of three parts, where first one will be dedicated to macros & modifiers, second one will be about remapping those modifiers and third part will focus on cluster groups.

I. What exactly are those things called macros?
Macros are "script" slash commands, a little piece of "code" which allows user to extend the ability of their in-game spells & actions. Basically what macro does is gives you an ability to combine two of your spells into one button, give an option for your spell to seek specific target, check if that target exists and various little tweaks which come handy in pvp.

II. What are modifiers?
Modifiers are specific buttons on your keyboard, which can alter behaviour of specific macros. In this case modifier keys are shift, ctrl & alt. In macros they are known as [mod:shift], [mod:ctrl] & [mod:alt].

III. How do I use these modifiers & why should I?
Let's start with answer on the second part of this question. By using modifier macros you can clean your screen space by removing unnecessary spells from your bars, or by combining them into one button.
Let me give you an example: you have two spells on your bar - Vampiric Touch & Mind Blast. First one is assigned to button 1, while second one is assigned to button 2. You can combine those two spells into one by using a macro with modifier:
Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Vampiric Touch();
/cast [nomod] Mind Blast();
Now you have a macro which allows you to cast your Mind Blast on a usual keypress, and cast your Vampiric Touch when you hold shift modifier.

IV. How else those modifiers can be useful to me?
You can use modifiers on part with targeting macros, such as [@focus], [@player], [@partyX] and others. By using them, you'll be able to assign your healing spells for friendly targets, interrupt spells for enemy focus targets and so on. Here are few examples:
Code:
/cast [nomod] Polymorph();
/cast [mod:shift, @focus] Polymorph();
This macro allows you to cast your polymorph as usual, but if you're holding shift the cast will target your [@focus] target. This removes the need of targeting each of your enemy separately, if you have set [@focus] beforehand.
Code:
/cast [nomod] Polymorph();
/cast [mod:shift, @arena1] Polymorph();
/cast [mod:ctrl, @arena2] Polymorph();
/cast [mod:alt. @arena3] Polymorph();
This macro works in similar manner as previous one, but instead of using [@focus] target it uses [@arena1,2,3] enemies with multiple modifiers. This is not the best macro layout however, and is used purely as an example.
Code:
/cast [nomod, @player] Flash Heal();
/cast [mod:shift, @party1] Flash Heal();
/cast [mod:ctrl, @player] Renew();
/cast [mod:alt, @party1] Renew();
This macro heals you on a regular [nomod] keypress, and gives you a renew on a keypress with [mod:ctrl]. When you use [mod:shift] or [mod:alt] it heals & gives renew to your partner, more specifically a [@party1] unit frame. Once again, this macro is made purely for this example and I wouldn't suggest for you to use it. Proper and comfortable macros will be discussed in cluster group section.

V. You keep saying these macros are an example and not suggested to be used. Give an example of a proper macro.
As you wish. Here's an example of a proper macroing:
Macro 1:
Code:
/cast [nomod] Vampiric Touch();
/cast [mod:shift] Mind Blast();
/cast [mod:ctrl, @player] Flash Heal();
/cast [mod:alt, @arena1] Silence();
Macro 2:
Code:
/cast [nomod] Devouring Plague();
/cast [mod:shift] Shadow Word:Pain();
/cast [mod:ctrl, @party1] Flash Heal();
/cast [mod:alt, @arena2] Silence();
Macro 3:
Code:
/cast [nomod] Mind Flay();
/cast [mod:shift] Mind Sear();
/cast [mod:ctrl, @party2] Flash Heal();
/cast [mod:alt, @arena3] Silence();
VI. What the actual hell?
I know, right? But don't worry, since you're not a tournament player and are allowed to use addons, you won't have a need for such complex macros.

VII. Okay. I've understood what macros and modifiers are, and I like it. Where can I read all the required information about all the commands?
Please check for this information here: Macros.

Now, since this is sorted out, lets move to the next section.

Now when you know what modifiers are, lets talk a bit about their remapping and why it's a good thing to do. But before that, a small interlude:

There are a lot of advertisement about mouses specially made for MMO like Razer Naga for example, with lots of extra side buttons for your bindings, which even come with special addons and software so you could put your macros on it. Myself, I never felt comfortable with those buttons and the fat form of the mouse grip. I am rather satisfied with low profile mouse which has usual two buttons on the side. If you're an owner of such mouse, I have good news for you: those side buttons can be remapped into CTRL & ALT modifiers which for some people are really hard/uncomfortable to reach on their keyboard, me being one of them.

I. What exactly is key remapping?
Key remapping is literally what it says: remapping of one particular key into another. For example you can make your "K' be "M", "W" be a Caps Lock, Spacebar be a Tab and vise versa. But that wouldn't be the smartest way of using such utility. I mean, come on, "W" being a Caps Lock? Even I don't do such heavy drugs.

II. What is the point of key remapping?
The point of key remapping is making life of some people easier. It can be used for variety of things and software, to simulate a broken key on your keyboard by using another, but the most use I found of this is by using it in games such as World of Warcraft for remapping modifiers.

III. Who can use this key remapping thing?
That's the best part: absolutely everyone.

IV. What do I need to have in order to use it?
In our case you would need a mouse with two side buttons on it, because we are going to remap them into CTRL & ALT. It doesn't matter what kind of mouse it is - noname mouse for 2 Euros or a Razer one for 60 Euros.

V. What are the benefits of remapping your keys?
A lot of people like myself have hard time reaching their fingers for CTRL & ALT while gaming, making it uncomfortable for use with modifier macros. For example in order to use Alt + T I have to displace my hand from my regular position, actually take a look at my keyboard to find the appropriate key, press it, and move my hand back to original position. This takes time and time is crucial part in PvP. Remapping these keys to side buttons of the mouse however, unlocks new boundaries of potential keybindings, without losing your mobility, if not improving it by times. Oh, and you also can save yourself 60 Euros.

VI. What are the downsides of doing this?
If done properly - none. Well, unless losing a key for autorun is really important to you. Not like you can't rebind it though.

VII. Okay, I'm down! How do I remap my modifiers to mouse side keys?
First, you'll need to get a key remapping software, unless you're registry editing expert. Personally I use this software which comes with free 30 days trial, but there's a lot of alternative ones available for free and they all are pretty easy to use. However, I still would recommend this one for the options it provides which include profiling, exclusion and inclusion lists with other sweet benefits. However, after trial ends software will stop working. If you're an advanced user, you could easily find a way to bypass that..

I. Installation

1. Grab a software through this direct link.
2. Follow the installation process and launch the software.
3. Follow the guideline below.

II. Modifier Remapping Guide.
Spoiler: Show

III. A note to people who didn't buy WinRaR.
Spoiler: Show
If you're broke and can't afford a dime or a penny or you're just an *******, search for Trial-Reset 4 on the internet.

Congratulations, you've successfully remapped your keys and you can safely forget about this software, because it will silently run in the background and automatically detect when you're in or out of the game, and enable/disable modifiers on the go. Now, to the next part.

This part of guide is dedicated to smart keybinding, the very main purpose of this entire guide.

I. What do you mean when you say "smart keybinding"?
By smart keybinding I imply planning your binds ahead and separating them into cluster groups, instead of just having them in chaotic order like http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=10955 on 1 followed by http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=25222 on 2 followed by http://wotlk.openwow.com/spell=71167 on 3. This is an important part in getting yourself set up, especially for a new player. You'd want to be in comfortable and tidy environment while gaming, so you wouldn't have to search for your spells on your bars and remember that particular keybind for your pet.

II. What are cluster groups?
Cluster groups are set of buttons located close together in a small environment. An example of cluster group would be buttons 1,2,3,4,5 or E,R,T,D,F,G.

III. So how do I exactly divide my spells into these cluster groups?
You'd want to have your offensive spells combined in one group whilst having all your defensive abilities in another. Furthermore, you'd want to have your [@party1,2,3] macros separated from [arena1,2,3] ones and others, so you wouldn't mix everything up. How to achieve that? Well, that's what I'm here for.

Let's go back to modifiers I listed above in macros section and remember all 4 of them:

1. [nomod] - the basic behaviour of your spells without any modifiers. Good for primary offensive & defensive spells.
2. [mod:shift] - first level of modifier, comfortable for standard use of secondary offensive spells combined with [nomod] primary ones.
3. [mod:ctrl] - second level of modifier, which is good for use of your [@party1,2,3] targeting macros.
4. [mod:alt] - third and last level of modifier group, which is good for you specific targeting macros such as [@arena1,2,3].

IV. So you're saying these modifiers are the perfect way of dividing my spells into cluster groups?
Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. Let's go back to the last macro I wrote:
Macro 1:
Code:
Macro 2:
Code:
Macro 3:
Code:

And now let's look at it in a clustered group way:

[nomod] cluster group:
Code:
[mod:shift] cluster group:
Code:
[mod:ctrl] cluster group:
Code:
[mod:alt] cluster group:
Code:
V. Oh my freaking god, this looks awesome! But this is so complicated, plus you've said I won't need to use those complex macros.
I know, right? This is what cluster groups are all about: keeping alike spells in their own groups for ease of access and to avoid accidents of pressing your Mind Blast spell instead of your [@arena1] target macro. And I didn't lie about not needing to use these complex macros. Like I've said, since you are not a tournament player you are allowed to use addons for ease of setting up such things like this.

VI. What kind of addons we are talking about exactly?
I am talking about an addon called BindPad. There are few addons alike, but this one is my personal weapon of choice. It is easy to use, has a friendly interface and allows your keybindings to be triggered on a key press instead of a key release just like SnowfallKeyPress addon would do. This addon will allow you to write short macros within it and bind them without the need of putting them on your action bars and clogging up your interface. Here's an example of how these complex macros would look inside of it:

Code:
Code:
And etc. Each one of these short macros will have a separate slot and a bind for use.

VII. I'm in ecstasy. Where can I get this addon?
You can get it right here. [This is a 3.3.5a version]

VIII. Thank you very much. I still have few questions left. Despite knowing now how to cluster group my spells using modifiers, I still don't know how to position them on my keyboard. Would you happen to have a suggestion?
But of course I do. Me wouldn't be me if I didn't have them prepared.

NOTE: Originally these pictures were made for my shadow priest guide, so given examples apply for that class specific spells, but it ain't hard to turn on your imagination and project those onto your own class you're playing.

Let's begin with [nomod] basic offensive & defensive spells.

After setting up your main spells, let's go one level deeper and set up your [shift] modifiers.

And then again, let's go even more deeper, by setting up your [ctrl] modifiers

Adding one more level to this to complete the sequence with [alt] modifiers.

As you see, everything is in order and easily accessible via modifiers, so it will require some dedication to use arena1 keybind instead of casual renew.
Now this is merely an example of how to set up your keybinds, a layout which will give you a basic understanding of what cluster bindings are.

IX. Thank you very much for these in-depth explanations and this detailed guide.
You're welcome. If you will have any questions left, feel free to ask in the comment section or to PM me directly. I don't bite.

And that's it folks. Hope you enjoyed my guide and learned something out of it.