1. This was made on an almost BiS blood death knight (sans penumbra) on 25 hc DBS prior to moltdown and death rune + 2.5 second grace period fixes (exact date being December 22, 2014). The death knight right below was an almost BiS unholy (also just missing 1 piece of jewelry if i remember right) and the 3rd dk in the raid was an under-geared frost.
    I'd imagine with same gear it is now very plausible to remain competitive as a blood dps in end-game raiding.

2. yes, very nice dps on 114 seconds static 100% uptime fight in 25man raid, this makes it legit, blood is best, guaranteed, approved.

but yes, you are right, you can do your slice of dmg pie with blood, so I guess that counts as "single target best ever spec".

From now on I'll know all specs are "best", they all are just better than others so in end each is best, such best.

I don't want to discourage people to go blood dps, I just want them to know where they are stepping into. It will not be magical 20k dps on all encounters facerolling, this example is perfect to show it, this is blood maximal potential in perfect(dummy) conditions(remember DBS is not best encounter for Frost and Unholy, Festergut is). Unholies and frost will out-dps you and bring more goodies to raid(yea, 10% atk power is so unique, wow, Hysteria will cast on yourself). Unholies and frosties in raid will always be preferred.
    Join guild and if they are ok to sort of carry you to BiS before you actually start to pay off, go for it. If you pug... frustrating days for you ahead.

Please stop "blood best evurr hurrdurr" bullšit.

3. Well, I guess you're right on that in the same way it is correct to say that Assassination may be the best single-target DPS spec, but Combat outperforms it because Assa drops like a rock when it loses DP and/or Envenom. Either way, Blood is decent, and with the recent fixes - fully viable now as a DPS spec.

4. Hmm anyone in lord tried blood? want to know if blood gorged & worms are fixed yet (yes am well aware blood is bad with the current gear due to low arp)

5. I've seen BDKs actively picking up Bloodworms, so I guess they work. Testing Blood Gorged could prove difficult, because when you have no ArP the gain will always be just 10% - doesn't matter if you have 10% ArP or if the enemy's armor is reduced by 10%. The one testing it should have a good amount of ArP first.

Let's say 10k armor - (working Blood Gorged 10% + 50% ArP) = 4k armor
    Now say (10k armor - bugged Blood Gorged 10%) - 50% ArP = 4.5k armor

10k armor - (working Blood Gorged 10% + 90% ArP) = 0 armor
    (10k armor - bugged Blood Gorged 10%) - 90% ArP = 900 Armor

The two main problems with bugged Blood Gorged are: 1, if it works as an ADDITIONAL armor reduction pre-requisite (like Sunder Armor, Faerie Fire), then it devalues ArP for Blood for the overall armor reduction calculation [total boss armor, including unmitigateable armor, followed by armor debuffs, followed by ArP); 2, it also makes the hard-cap for Blood higher (1400) than what it would be (1260) if the talent worked properly.

I'll demonstrate 1) with another numerical example, similar to the one above:

[10k armor - (Sunder Armor 20% + Faerie Fire 5%)] - (working Blood Gorged 10% + 50% ArP) = 3,000 armor
    [10k armor - (Sunder Armor 20% + Faerie Fire 5% + bugged Blood Gorged 10%)] - 50% ArP = 3,250 armor

[10k armor - (Sunder Armor 20% + Faerie Fire 5%)] - (working Blood Gorged 10% + 90% ArP) = 0 armor
    [10k armor - (Sunder Armor 20% + Faerie Fire 5% + bugged Blood Gorged 10%)] - 90% ArP = 650 armor

As you can see, the more ArP you get, the more Blood Gorged devalues it due to the scaling nature of ArP. Note that here I am not taking into account unmitigateable boss armor, which can be seen here.
    Edited: February 20, 2016

6. Informative as always taralej, good read. merci :D

7. Have anyone test Blood Gorged now after the patch?
    Btw Bloodworms are working now!

8. Back on retail on 25hc version [Unholy Blight] was 1st or 2nd in total dmg done.

The reason was it was stacking each and every time [Death Coil] landed on the same target. I remember its dot dealing about 25k dmg per tick after 5minutes fight and I was at 6k gs at the time.

It seems its not yet fixxed here but since we have access to bis gear, dunno if [Unholy Blight] would be stronger than [Dancing Rune Weapon] or not.

9. Back on retail on 25hc version [Unholy Blight] was 1st or 2nd in total dmg done.

The reason was it was stacking each and every time [Death Coil] landed on the same target. I remember its dot dealing about 25k dmg per tick after 5minutes fight and I was at 6k gs at the time.

It seems its not yet fixxed here but since we have access to bis gear, dunno if [Unholy Blight] would be stronger than [Dancing Rune Weapon] or not.
    DRW is completely broken, contrary to what the bugtracker says. Anyone who's specced it can easily compare whether the weapon does 50% of his damage or not (it doesn't).

Unholy Blight DOES stack just like Ignite/deep wounds do. The thing is that the damage which is accumulated is spread out over a period of 10 seconds instead of 4/6 and it stacks only from one ability which is solely used as a RP dump.

For you to have observed 25k ticks on retail would be someting ludicrous unless it was in some of the earlier patches where the ability may have been different (I haven't played on retail so I don't know what changes the talent had)

How it works:
    Spoiler: Show

DC hits for 10,000
    UB will do 1,000 over 10 seconds which is 100 each second.
    Let's say 5 ticks have passed, 500 damage was dealt and 500 more needs to be dealt.
    At this point another DC worth 10,000 points of damage hits the target. An extra 1,000 damage is added to the 500 leftover from the previous hit of DC and now UB will deal 1,500 points of damage over 10 seconds. This means that it'll do 150 each second for 10 seconds.

10. Back on retail on 25hc version [Unholy Blight] was 1st or 2nd in total dmg done.

Unholy Blight is always 1st or 2nd on damage done, from the end. Simply reading the description of the ability should show that it accounts for just 10% of Death Coil, which itself will generally be at position 3 on recount for an Unholy Death Knight, and position 5 for a Blood one.
    The only point where the damage you describe occurred would be on Molten back in summer '10, when there was a bug all non-weapon based abilities applying the debuff as well as multiplying the damage (rather than using the damage bank system) to potential infinity, or on another private server with a similar problem.
    Unholy blight was indeed different in previous patches, but it was never even close to DRW in terms of damage, the only reason people would sometimes spec into the former is for pvp purposes.

Just noticed this bit, please just don't. Here is a website compiling thousands of fights from retail for each boss of every raid starting from Wrath on-wards with time-stamps where you can see damage of each ability for each class for each patch http://www.worldoflogs.com/.

11. Haven't read the earlier replies to this and saw the excellent explanation of Blood Gorged issue by taralej, and just wanted to add real in-game values in case someone wants to test things for themselves.

First let's go over armor penetration: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_penetration https://www.engadget.com/2009/04/19/...r-penetration/ http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_reduction http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=...or-penetration

Armor penetration uses a formula do determine the amount of armor it can ignore. Versus a level 83 boss the formula would be (Armor + 16635) / 3.
    In wotlk raid bosses have 10643 armor, therefore, using the formula that means only 9093 armor can be ignored at 100%.
    The remaining 1550 armor is unmitigate-able, but can be reduced via armor ignore abilities, which we'll presume how Blood Gorged still functions.

Armor ignore is applied prior to armor penetration itself, and applies to the total armor the target has. This means that a Death Knight with 0 ARP and specced into Blood Gorged (functioning as ignore) while attacking a boss would reduce its armor to 9579.
    This value of 9579 armor is then used to calculate how much armor can be further ignored by armor penetration, (9579+16635)/3= 8738. This leaves 841 armor that can not be ignored.

50% ARP example:
    1) Remaining armor if Blood Gorged granted 10% Armor penetration: 10643 - 9093/100*60 = 5187
    2) Remaining armor if Blood Gorged granted 10% Armor ignore: 9579 - 8738/100*50 = 5210

90% ARP example:
    1) Remaining armor if Blood Gorged granted 10% Armor penetration: 10643 - 9093/100*100 = 1550
    2) Remaining armor if Blood Gorged granted 10% Armor ignore: 9579 - 8738/100*90 = 1715

If the death knight has 100% arp from gear, Blood Gorged acting as an armor ignore does provide an additional 1550-841= 709 armor reduction, however this presumably comes at a cost of 140 strength.

The last point I would like to expand on is the redundancy of Blood Gorged in a typical 25m raid scenario with an ARP capped DK.
    Given that warriors apply sunder armor and there is a balance/feral druid present, 25% of armor will already be getting ignored.
    Therefore the boss armor would be: 10643*0.8*0.95 = 8089
    The amount of armor that can be reduced via armor penetration would be: (8089+16635)/3= 8241
    As the amount reduced is larger than the boss's remaining armor, with 100% ARP the boss will have 0 armor.
    In this case, the additional armor ignore provided by Blood Gorged won't be of any benefit at all.
    Edited: August 21, 2016

12. I thought with a major and a minor -armor debuff up on a boss and 100% arp youd be left with something like 97.7% of armor removed; cant recall the exact numbers tho

13. There is some confusion about the correct "C" value to use in the case of determining the ARP cap: 16635, based on the level of the boss (83) or15232.5, based on the player level (80).
    There was a discussion concerning it in the warrior section as well: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=298787/.

One thing I am not certain about is the method of stacking for armor ignore abilities, I assumed it was additive, but may in fact be multiplicative, going to do a quick test to figure it out.

14. The correct C value must`ve been 15232.5, because thats the only one that would make sense as using that would end you exactly at my mentioned 97.something% of armor removed given both armor reduction debuffs (stacking additively), and 1400 ArP.

15. Did a quick-ish test on my warrior, and the value still appears to be 16635.

The armor reducing debuffs stack multiplicatively, and battle stance now grants armor penetration rather than armor ignore like it did before. Maybe Blood Gorged got the same treatment.

Going to test on DK and post an update, I'll be honest I haven't tested it in almost a year since we haven't had a proper change-log for almost as long, so I assumed no changes were applied.

Update: no such luck, Blood Gorged is still acting as an armor ignore.
    Updated the preceding post to reflect the multiplicative stacking.
    Edited: August 21, 2016

First ... 2345614 ... Last