1. And I'm shaking my head at you... I already explained to you how it's not 45% loss after already having it as included in your dmg. Yes the Value of dps is same ( if all other stats stay same), but the % differs from what you use as the base value.
    You can explain all you want, but that doesn't change simple principles of mathematics. You cannot take the base value, add pvp power, then deduct stuff and say it's not 45% compared to the base value that does not factor in deductions. That stuff needs to be deducted from your base value as well, but it isn't in the char roster.
    The end result of any proper calculation is a 45% increase ceteris paribus.

2. There are important gameplay mechanics unique to PvP every player should know. Although explaining these concepts may seem very abstract, understanding them is crucial to every PvP situation.

PvP Power / PvP Resilience

The developers had to find solutions for two PvP-specific problems:
    The damage done is too high in relation to the available health pool.
    PvP gear has to be more viable than PvE gear in PvP, while it has to be less viable in PvE.
    PvP Power and PvP Resilience are the two stats that aim to solve these problems.

PvP Resilience reduces the damage taken from other players. The base resilience is 72% and you can increase it with some gems and enchantments by one or two percents - a huge number considering that only 1/4 of the original damage will be done. The base resilience is that high to let everyone enjoy the survivability historically only players with completed PvP gear had - this was changed in 5.3 and mainly aimed at bringing more PvE players into PvP. PvP Resilience solves the first problem mentioned.

The second problem is solved by PvP Power. It effectively increases the damage you do against players and healing and the power of absorbs you do in open world zones and (competitive) PvP zones such as arenas and battlegrounds. Classes with heal specs only gain 75% of the damage equivalent as additional healing. As a Windwalker Monk you may have 35% increased damage and thus 26.25% increased healing. Other classes, those without heal specs, gain 50% of the damage equivalent as a healing increase.

PvP Power does not affect some percentage-based healing spells, like Desperate Prayer.

The important notion is that neither PvP Power nor PvP Resilience count towards the item level budget, which means they are additional and free stats. Comparing a PvP and PvE item with the same item level will theoretically make both items equally viable in PvE, but the PvP item far more viable in PvP than the PvE item. However PvE items are still more viable in PvE than PvP items, because the average item level of a PvE item is higher, but PvP items provide a solid base for PvE.

The order of application is another important factor you should know about. When damage is done against a player, it is first increased by PvP Power. The targeted player will then decrease that damage by their resilience value. Let's say an attack would hit with 1000 damage. The 40% PvP Power increase the damage to 1400. The receiving player has 72% resilience and reduces the hit to 392 damage. The same applies to PvP healing. It is first increased by PvP Power and then decreased by other effects, such as Battle Fatigue, Wound Poison and Mortal Wounds.

Generally speaking it looks like PvP gear, if the item levels are at all close, is definitely superior for PvP.

For PvE (raids, instances, etc.) the PvE gear is better, but not by a lot. You could get by with PvP gear as a starter set for your heroic dungeons and early raids, then upgrade.

Once upon a time, the PvP gear was definitely inferior to the PvE gear for PvE situations. This is no longer the case. Once upon a time the reverse was also true, as PvE gear had no Resilience and so the survivability was much less. Nowadays (patch 5.4) Resilience is 72%, regardless of gear, so PvE gear doesn’t take quite the hit. You could gear up in, say, the Timeless Isle, hop into the BGs, and do Ok while you get into the Tyrannical Honor gear. That would be much better than using your level 90 green gear from questing and even better than the, very expensive, Crafted Malevelent gear set on the Auction House.

In World PvP (events, battles, ganking) the much higher item level available with PvE gear will make it more effective than PvP gear, with the possible exception of the weapons. The big Stamina edge will help out, too. PvE gear is, as of this post, topping at item level 553 and can be upgraded to 560. That should give you a nice edge over the 522 Gladiator set.

In instance PvP (Battlegrounds, arena) the PvE gear is down-rated (to about 500) and the PvP gear will be much better.

So there u go... Nicely explained, IN DETAILS. Everyone should understand it from here.
    Edited: April 5, 2015

3. All that stands except the tiny fact that atm both PvE and PvP items have max ilvl of 522 (PvE slightly more with upgrades).

4. All that stands except the tiny fact that atm both PvE and PvP items have max ilvl of 522 (PvE slightly more with upgrades).
    This guide is written in detail, it's not focusing on current Warmane situation, it justs represents the standing of PVE vs PVP. The conclusion is simple and can be summarized to this:

If PVP / PVE levels of gear are the same or very similar, PVP wins in EVERY situation/fight (except the PVE instances, of course). And if PVE is significantly higher, it will top the PVP gear, but ONLY OUTSIDE of Arenas and BGs as inside of those instances it gets down-rated.

5. usually never have any issue vs lock (Fire mage) and can control them with some good CC.

Although last night in BG vs hord, a full Grievous Undead destruction was doing absolutely insane dmg with felflame spam. while he had no offense up easily 40k and anytime he popped trink and proc 75k Felflame all time. his whole rotation was 5 x felflame + Shadowburn. Literally everytime i saw him had to block within 4 second. wish i had screen shotted my log. It was like a fire mage with unlimited pyro !

How is it possible to get felflame to do 75k ?

6. This happened in less than 3 seconds.

SERIOUSLY THO

Actually a faceroll frost dk complaining about warlocks.
    Chaos bolt, first, needs a cast time.
    Second, the crapload of CC u have, also doing 150k obliterates wrecking havoc everywhere. Dks and warriors will always have to complain about casters. fact
    Third , Chaos bolt STILL doesn't do its normal dmg. It should deal WAY more than intended.
    Its a 3 sec cast time for ****s sake, down do 1-3 sec cast time ONLY if you get the blackdraft.
    And forth , its outside PvP areas so that warlock could've worn PvE gear

Seriously, dks have tons of stuns , sillences, grips , AMS and i could go on.
    Warriors, 2 reflects which are bugged anyways , 2 intrerupts if you spec for it , 100% uptime and tons of deff.
    Every caster had problems in PvP due to melee uptime and yet, melees are *****ing about it.
    Edited: April 6, 2015

7. Less than 3 sec cast with broken DR on ridicoulously long CCs. Don't defend something that shouldn't have coexisted in game. Even working properly, it's still 'broken'.

Hunter's Power Shot that's 45 sec CD and 2.5sec cast, rarely crits above 100k (I have 45% PvP power and when I manage to hit something for 110k with powershot I feel like I should pop champaigne). Compare that to Chaos Bolt that plows through everything and crits always. And it's prety much spammable.

8. We don't have here SOO HC, so PvP gear is the best in PvP and in world PvP too.

9. Less than 3 sec cast with broken DR on ridicoulously long CCs. Don't defend something that shouldn't have coexisted in game. Even working properly, it's still 'broken'.

Hunter's Power Shot that's 45 sec CD and 2.5sec cast, rarely crits above 100k (I have 45% PvP power and when I manage to hit something for 110k with powershot I feel like I should pop champaigne). Compare that to Chaos Bolt that plows through everything and crits always. And it's prety much spammable.
    Oh im sorry. Hunters complaining now?
    Too good Blizzard removed your minim range so now u can just backpedaling while spamming arcane shots. Lots of CC and lots of Oh **** buttons. If that's not enough u also got 2 intrerupts.

10. Seriously, dks have tons of stuns , sillences, grips , AMS and i could go on.
    Stun is a talent....
    Sielnce is instead of stun if you didnt take the stun talent.

1 Grip, big deal, Mages have blink and blazing speed, Paladins have hand of freedom, Shamans have Windwalk totem, Warlocks have well everything, rogues burst of speed.

AMS = Cloak of Shadows, Deterrence, Divine Shield, Dispersion, Ice Block, Sacrificial Pact, Spell Reflect.

DKs in MOP have the least survivability and Mobility, you'll understand at higher MMR when you face one you'll feel nothing but sympathy.
    Dks are glass cannons, let them hit you thats your own fault. They are easy to lock down and very easy to kill.

11. Oh im sorry. Hunters complaining now?
    Too good Blizzard removed your minim range so now u can just backpedaling while spamming arcane shots. Lots of CC and lots of Oh **** buttons. If that's not enough u also got 2 intrerupts.
    Yeah I'm complaining. Complaining because Master's Call is broken and mostly useless, complaining because our deterrence is broken and again mostly useless cause we get CCed under it and kept under CC after it (did I mention that we can't do plenty of stuff we should be able to do under deterrence? Cause we can't). We don't have 'oh ****' buttons. Even our Feign Death has visial bug so you have to count and hope that it's off the CD cause the icon isn't showing it usually. 2 interrupts? Jolly good! I may as well not have them cause you know... 7 second fear, and then some pet CC and then some fear... And then I get hit 200k+, because, why not.

Arcane shots? You mean those pesky 20k hits that drain focus like desert drains the rain? Sure we have those. They are good visuals. Looks like fireworks. Mostly stings like mosquity.

And minimum range thing... Locks had it all along. It was all dandy and migty fine when hunters were walking dummies at melee range, but now when this thig got removed all hell broke loose as if we can shoot backwards. Most hunters won't have that much use of it anyway, because the moment we got caught in that range it's the moment we lose at least half HP against decent player.

Point being. You're a lock, enjoy your privileges and don't try to explain your inferiority cause it's non-existant.

12. u must be fking kidding me dude, hunters kills my frost mage half tyra half grevious with both shields on me in 3 seconds, in conpensation i hit 25 critical maximum with that gear? u must kidding me to complain for hunters, they do fking insane burst, way too much, now they nerfed dk`s too with what? i think more than 60%, i do 30k max crit with frost strike(usualy i do the same damage as blood lol, but i still die in 3 secs), while hunters are solo killing everyone in arenas. this is a waste of time, i cant belive what happend on last updates(btw frost mage was never fixed, always same s**t damage(i did beter damage on cataclism than now).
    Edited: April 8, 2015

13. Yes hunters are pain in the *** for mages.

14. lol dude, use your iceblock then u would survive at least some sec longer

15. lol dude, use your iceblock then u would survive at least some sec longer
    dude i`m playing mage since TBC, i`m not so noob, they just do insane damage and they beg for more here, just do a frost mage, check his damage then we will speak. i iceblock just to not instant die, i die anyway when it expires without casting a single spell. i dont know if hunters are like that on retail but this is just stupid, on tbc and wotk, and some in cataclism, pvp was balanced, any class beated any other class with skill, now is just makes no sense, things like u nuke druids/shamans, they cyclone, change forms, etc and they have full mana after 2-3 minutes of fight, while holy pala goes oom in 1 minute and other more things are just stupid, pvp sucks now, no ballance.

First ... 2345 Last