1. May 2, 2015  

About the 2H vs MH+OH discussion

So I understand MH+OH is definitely better, but by how much? Does anyone have the numbers?

2. May 3, 2015  
    Well, just go to openwow and compare the stats of Archus and Bloodsurge + Shadow Silk Spindle, gems & enchants included.
    Edited: May 3, 2015

3. May 3, 2015  
    H Archus is a bad comparison, because it's a higher item level than you can get on an offhand.

Heroic Dying Light:

176 int
    131 spirit
    131 haste
    3 sockets (red, blue, yellow)
    837sp + 81 sp enchant = 918 sp

Let's gem it pure spell power so my math is simpler.

918 sp + 3 23sp gems = 987 total spell power

H Frozen Bonespike + H Sundial of Eternal Dusk

Frozen Bonespike:

75 int
    66 spirit
    50 crit
    1 socket (blue)
    836 sp + 63 sp enchant = 899 sp

899 sp + 23 sp gem = 922 sp

Sundial:

78 int
    68 spirit
    119 sp
    68 haste

I'm going to add the stats of the crit and haste together, because I'm too lazy to hunt for a staff and mh/oh that have identical itemization. We're interested primarily in the difference in weight between them in a vacuum.

MH + OH together:

153 int
    134 spirit
    118 total secondary stats (crit + haste)
    1,041 sp

So at the 277 item level, you're giving up 23 intellect and 13 points of secondary stat weight in order to get 54 more spell power. The difference becomes smaller as you go down in item level due to off-hands having smaller gains in spell power, iirc.

Not a huge difference, but a noticeable one between staves and MH+OH combos of the same item level.

4. May 4, 2015  
    ^ ^ ^
    It's not really a bad comparison, because, in the end, you shouldn't care if you're comparing a 284 + 277 with just one 284. You have access to either a 2h 284 or a 1h 284+277, so that's the comparison you should make.

5. May 4, 2015  
    H Archus is a bad comparison, because it's a higher item level than you can get on an offhand.

Heroic Dying Light:

176 int
    131 spirit
    131 haste
    3 sockets (red, blue, yellow)
    837sp + 81 sp enchant = 918 sp

Let's gem it pure spell power so my math is simpler.

918 sp + 3 23sp gems = 987 total spell power

H Frozen Bonespike + H Sundial of Eternal Dusk

Frozen Bonespike:

75 int
    66 spirit
    50 crit
    1 socket (blue)
    836 sp + 63 sp enchant = 899 sp

899 sp + 23 sp gem = 922 sp

Sundial:

78 int
    68 spirit
    119 sp
    68 haste

I'm going to add the stats of the crit and haste together, because I'm too lazy to hunt for a staff and mh/oh that have identical itemization. We're interested primarily in the difference in weight between them in a vacuum.

MH + OH together:

153 int
    134 spirit
    118 total secondary stats (crit + haste)
    1,041 sp

So at the 277 item level, you're giving up 23 intellect and 13 points of secondary stat weight in order to get 54 more spell power. The difference becomes smaller as you go down in item level due to off-hands having smaller gains in spell power, iirc.

Not a huge difference, but a noticeable one between staves and MH+OH combos of the same item level.
    Part of the reason why 1H + OH is better is that you can avoid gearing spirit that way. (spirit is not terribad for mages, since part converts to crit, but still haste + crit items provide better dps)

Sundial (haste + spirit) is not a good choice for mages, at least count with Shadow Silk Spindle. (68 crit instead of spirit -> roughly 30 more crit in addition to sp gain)

6. May 4, 2015  
    I'm not talking about what items are BiS, or optimal, and presumably neither is the OP (we know it's Bloodsurge and Shadow Silk Spindle already). I was just analyzing what the difference in stat weight between an identical item level staff and main hand + off hand amounts to.

EDIT:

That is to say, the question I'm answering is "If you have a staff and a MH/OH with identical itemization, what's the difference?"
    Edited: May 4, 2015

7. May 6, 2015  
    Thanks for the replies. I did my own research as well and the difference really isn't that big. At least not big enough for everyone who bought Archus as a donor weapon to be regarded as intellectually challenged. No doubt that MH+OH is better, but in the end, it is a difference of 60 crit rating or so at BIS if we disregard the benefits of stamina, intellect and spirit(molten armor accounted for).

8. May 7, 2015  
    Thanks for the replies. I did my own research as well and the difference really isn't that big. At least not big enough for everyone who bought Archus as a donor weapon to be regarded as intellectually challenged. No doubt that MH+OH is better, but in the end, it is a difference of 60 crit rating or so at BIS if we disregard the benefits of stamina, intellect and spirit(molten armor accounted for).
    You forgot about sp difference.

archus:
    893 sp + 3 red gems + 81 sp ench -> 1043 sp
    141 spirit = cca 80 crit
    141 haste

------------------------------------------------
    bloodsurge:
    893 sp + 63 sp ech + 1 red gem + 5sp socket bonus -> 984sp
    55 crit
    71 haste

bis oh:
    119 sp
    68 crit
    68 haste

voteshop oh (cosmos):
    84sp
    41 crit
    51hit
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

mh + bis oh (difference vs archus):
    1103 sp (+60)
    123 crit (+40)
    139 haste (-2)

bloodsurge + voteshop oh (difference vs archus):
    1068sp (+25)
    96 crit (+16)
    71 haste (-70)
    51 hit (+51)

Archus is a bad buy for mages since even the voteshop offhand makes 1H + OH combo a bit better (with potential to get even better stats as you progers further in raiding). Its not ok to be regarded as intellectually challenged due to buying worse thing its your choice.

9. May 7, 2015  
    That's a very good point, although I do feel it's a bit unfair to assume that the vote shop weapon is "free" since there are so many other armor pieces one would benefit more from than off-hand as a fresh 80. Although it does make Archus as a donor shop buy feel a lot worse.