1. Then this prolly changed with the latest update, haven't checked it since then
    It has been like that for years.

Also, you're saying food choice is pretty obvious, yet you pointed out the wrong one... It's either http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=42999 or http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=43000. The first one is higher armor, dodge and crit, and a little bit of attack power, while the second one is higher attack power overall, shield block & Shield Slam.

http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=42994 and http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=42996 are also an option, if you're looking for combat stats.
    Edited: October 15, 2015

2. Hi Guys,

im doin 5.3 GS at the Moment on my prot.
    I just reached the deff cap and didnt really know which gems i should prefear right now.

My hit cap is 7.2 so under 8%
    Also my expercise is under soft cap.

Do u rly think i should gem this stats First before going to gem anything else?

Cheerio

3. Hi Guys,

im doin 5.3 GS at the Moment on my prot.
    I just reached the deff cap and didnt really know which gems i should prefear right now.

My hit cap is 7.2 so under 8%
    Also my expercise is under soft cap.

Do u rly think i should gem this stats First before going to gem anything else?

Cheerio
    9% spell hit (you probably refer to your "meele" hit at 7.2% - "meele" and spell hit chance scales differently in wotlk) is rly important, which you already have (makes glyphed taunt always hit).

Additional hit/expertise is "just" more threat. Expertise is worth more untill soft cap, since it removes both bosses dodge and parry.

I would recommend you to get mixed expertise + stam/hit + stam gems in reds/yellows. If you know what you are doing and are not lacking threat (undergeared group, etc.) you can safely skip those.

4. The purpose of this comparison is to show the facts before investing time into gearing a warrior tank thinking you will take on Bane/LoD.

Let us compare them to Paladin tanks.

Defensive CDs
    (Warrior/Paladin//Winner)

Shield Wall (-40%, 2min) vs Divine Protection (-50%, 2 min, +forbearance) /// Paladin
    Shield Block(100% BR, 40sec) vs Holy Shield (30% BR, 8sec) /// Paladin
    Last Stand(30%hp, 3min) vs Ardent Protector(30%+hp, 2min) /// Paladin
    Enraged Regen(30%hp over 10sec,3min) vs Glyph Hand of Salvation(-20%dmg, 2min) /// Paladin
    Bloodrage(+20%hp shield, 1min) vs Divine Guardian(-20%dmg, 2min) /// Paladin
    Heavy frostweave bandage(+3k) vs Lay on Hands(+50k, instant, 20min) /// Paladin
    ??? vs Divine Shield(immune to clear debuffs, 4min) /// Paladin

Buffs

Commanding/Battle Shout (+2.5k hp, +550ap) vs Blessings(+10%,-3%dmg, mp5/AP) /// Paladin
    Safeguard(-30%dmg, 30sec) vs Hand of sacrifice(-20% dmg, 2min) /// Warrior
    Sunder armor(-20% armor) vs Judgements(wisdom/light/justice) /// Paladin
    Demo Shout(-550 AP) vs Paladin Auras(+armor/resist/+6% more heals) /// Paladin
    Vigilance(-3%dmg) vs. Sacred shield,HoP, HoF, Divine Sacrifice/Guardian /// Paladin

Taunt

Taunt(8sec cd) vs Hand of Reckoning(8sec cd, +dmg) /// Paladin
    Challenging shout(3min cd, all mob 10 yrd range) vs Righteous Defense (8sec cd, 3mobs) /// Paladin
    Mocking Blow(1min cd, melee range) vs ??? /// Warrior

Damage Reduction

-10%phy(def stance) -6%magic(imp def) vs -12%phy(fury, plea, templar), -32% < 35%hp, -9%magic /// Paladin

Stat Talents

+6% str, +9% stam, +15%crit,+6exp, +1100ap(@40k armor) vs +15%str, +14% stam, +11%crit, +16exp /// Paladin

AoE tanking

Cleave (2 targets,3 glyphed) vs Seal of Command (3 targets) // Paladin
    Thunderclap (6 sec cd) vs Consecration (8 sec cd, last 8 sec) /// Paladin
    Shockwave (20 sec cd, 4 sec stun, unlimited target) vs Hammer of Righteousness (6sec cd, 3 targets) /// Warrior
    This is a close one as I would rather have HoR for AoE tanking purposes due to lower cd but we will get warrior on the board.
    ??? vs Avengers Shield (30 sec cd, 3 targets) /// Paladin

Threat: Paladin hands down, most abilities are holy damage so ignores armor and can't be dodged/parried. Pulling with Avenging Wrath blows blows away retaliation/recklessness and not to mention paladin is far superior ranged tanker. Heroic throw(1min cd)/ Shoot vs. Judgement/Avengers Shield

Final Score // Warrior 3 - Paladin 19

As we can see only thing warriors have going for them is shockwave (debatable) and intervene(safeguard) but this doesn't even really help if you are MT, but does help a lot to safeguard your paladin tank on soul reapers.

Keep in mind these numbers were off the top of my head so values might be off, but the purpose of all this is just to show you the facts in the discrepancy between warrior and paladin tanks. I have no idea what the Blizzard designers were thinking but it really isn't fair as I love my warrior but am force to pally tank.

So if you want to continue on to gear a warrior tank because you like their playstyle let me say that they are fine for most encounters except LK HC, Halion HC, Sindra HC, and even Deathbringer on Gunship will crush you so keep that in mind if you are planning to tank the end game.

Cheers and happy tanking
    Edited: December 3, 2015

5. The purpose of this comparison is to show the facts before investing time into gearing a warrior tank thinking you will take on Bane/LoD.

Let us compare them to Paladin tanks.

Defensive CDs

Shield Wall (-40%, 2min) vs Divine Protection (-50%, 2 min, +forbearance) /// Paladin
    Shield Block(100% BR, 40sec) vs Holy Shield (30% BR, 8sec) /// Paladin
    Last Stand(30%hp, 3min) vs Ardent Protector(30%+hp, 2min) /// Paladin
    Enraged Regen(30%hp over 10sec,3min) vs Glyph Hand of Salvation(-20%dmg, 2min) /// Paladin
    Bloodrage(+20%hp shield, 1min) vs Divine Guardian(-20%dmg, 2min) /// Paladin
    Heavy frostweave bandage(+3k) vs Lay on Hands(+50k, instant, 20min) /// Paladin
    ??? vs Divine Shield(immune to clear debuffs, 4min) /// Paladin

Buffs

Commanding/Battle Shout (+2.5k hp, +550ap) vs Blessings(+10%,-3%dmg, mp5/AP) /// Paladin
    Sunder armor(-20% armor) vs Judgements(wisdom/light/justice) /// Paladin
    Demo Shout(-550 AP) vs Paladin Auras(+armor/resist/+6% more heals) /// Paladin
    Vigilance(-3%dmg) vs. Sacred shield,HoP, HoF, Divine Sacrifice/Guardian /// Paladin

Taunt

Taunt(8sec cd) vs Hand of Reckoning(8sec cd, +dmg) /// Paladin
    Challenging shout(3min cd, all mob 10 yrd range) vs Righteous Defense (8sec cd, 3mobs) /// Paladin

Damage Reduction

-10%phy(def stance) -6%magic(imp def) vs -12%phy(fury, plea, templar), -32% < 35%hp, -9%magic /// Paladin

Stat Talents

+6% str, +9% stam, +15%crit,+6exp, +120ap vs +15%str, +14% stam, +11%crit, +16exp /// Paladin

AoE tanking

Cleave (2 targets,3 glyphed) vs Seal of Command (3 targets) // Paladin
    Thunderclap (6 sec cd) vs Consecration (8 sec cd, last 8 sec) /// Paladin
    Shockwave (20 sec cd, 4 sec stun, unlimited target) vs Hammer of Righteousness (6sec cd, 3 targets) /// Warrior
    This is a close one as I would rather have HoR for AoE tanking purposes due to lower cd but we will get warrior on the board.
    ??? vs Avengers Shield (30 sec cd, 3 targets) /// Paladin

Threat: Paladin hands down, most abilities are holy damage so ignores armor and can't be dodged/parried. Pulling with Avenging Wrath blows blows away retaliation/recklessness and not to mention paladin is far superior ranged tanker. Heroic throw(1min cd)/ Shoot vs. Judgement/Avengers Shield
    Lets just keep to the facts, you have many of them wrong.

Feel free to check video of Warrior MT LoD by Shizel here.

Defensive CDs

Shield block:
    100% block value + 100% chance to block, its interaction with "Critical Block" talent is amazing... you have about 6% chance to be missed, 10% dodge, 20% parry + 20/120% block chance (7/40% to critically block) -> Critical blocks with this up block 9.5k dmg (after armor reduction) -> that is about 25% dmg reduction from LK everywhere else its way more

so Shield Block > Divine Guardian + Glyph of HoS (since way shorter cd)

Holy Shield is more on par with critical block talent and warrior higher base block value.

War can clear slows with intervene (usefull @Sindra).

and Forbedeance means that pally can never pop all defensives at once...

So if you rly rly want to compare defensives:
    Shield Wall < Divine Protection
    Shield block > Glyph of HoS + Divine Guardian
    Last Stand < Ardent Protector
    Intervene (movement debuffs only) < Divine Shield
    Enraged Regen + Bloodrage >> (since way better) LoH + Holy Shield

Taunt

Taunt(8sec cd) vs Hand of Reckoning(8sec cd, +dmg) /// Paladin... should be =, since dmg is almost irrelevant

Taunt > HoR + Righteous Defense when right circumstances (like vigi on [email protected], etc...)

Buffs

Commanding/Battle Shout (+2.5k hp, +550ap) vs Blessings(+10%,-3%dmg, mp5/AP) /// Paladin ... doesnt have to be by prot pal/war (even better if CS is kept by fury who has it talented), dmg reduction doesnt stack with disc priest buff -> highly situational and raid composition reliant, I would say =

Sunder armor(-20% armor) vs Judgements(wisdom/light/justice) /// Paladin... again = since doest have to be done by tanks, btw justice doesnt work on bosses... if you wanted to compare their strenght than Warrior since sunder = +-9% physical dmg taken by boss (even for hard arp capped ppl)

Demo Shout(-550 AP) vs Paladin Auras(+armor/resist/+6% more heals) /// Paladin.... =, since 6% more heals is provided by resto druid, demo shout can be done by fury (btw -550 ap > 1% physical dmg taken and paladin can opt to take it in ret tree)

Stat Talents

+6% str, +9% stam, +15%crit,+6exp, +1100ap (@ 40k armor) vs +15%str, +10% stam (I might be missing 4% from somewhere, but I dont think so), +11%crit, +16exp /// -> threat stats warrior, def stats pally (but gun vs libram -> war wins in stamina as well)

AoE threat pally always wins (unless unholy dk), same for single target and warrior (when he tanks, since otherwise no revenge and rage to aggro properly).

Thing that you forgot about Thunderclap is that it also slows attack-speed of all targets hit, causing war to take a lot less aoe dmg. (pally can spec into that as well, but that one works only on 1 target)

mobility (Charge, Intercept, Intervene) and ranged threat... can be mostly used as replacement of each other

Pretty equal IMHO. Tank synergy is another topic we could talk about... Pally + war in particular stand out when played together to their potential.
    Edited: December 3, 2015

6. Nice guide, really useful, my main has always been a warr tank, right before the moltdown I used to tank in a guild together with a pally tank on old lordaeron, I remember there weren't many warr tanks around because they were supposed to have threat and damage reduction issues, honestly I don't know anything about that, I was 5.9 gs and when tanking next to people 6.2+ I did tend to have some issues with threat but hunters would redirect me. I was planning to restart in lordaeron as a warr tank but given the fact that there are so many warrs/pallys in lordaeron and there is this general belief (be it true or not) that warrior tanks aren't that great I don't know if I should roll pally or something else. I mean I love playing warr tank but I don't want to be a burden to healers and the rest of the raid.

Also forgot to ask, could you please do the same thing about the icc bosses and their respective sets with the ToC bosses as well?
    Edited: December 7, 2015

7. Nice guide, really useful, my main has always been a warr tank, right before the moltdown I used to tank in a guild together with a pally tank on old lordaeron, I remember there weren't many warr tanks around because they were supposed to have threat and damage reduction issues, honestly I don't know anything about that, I was 5.9 gs and when tanking next to people 6.2+ I did tend to have some issues with threat but hunters would redirect me. I was planning to restart in lordaeron as a warr tank but given the fact that there are so many warrs/pallys in lordaeron and there is this general belief (be it true or not) that warrior tanks aren't that great I don't know if I should roll pally or something else. I mean I love playing warr tank but I don't want to be a burden to healers and the rest of the raid.
    Damage intake was fixed ages ago. Threat was fixed relatively recently (shortly after moltdown). -> those are not problems to be concerned about now, if something, then consider if you are resilient enough to fight rummors. (and war overpopulation?)

From healer perspective (I played all of the healers before moltdown - not all of them on LoD level, but at least KS).
    Bears are easiest to heal (you can just /afk for 2-3s fill them up and /afk again) > pallys with ardent up > good wars > good dk (they take least dmg, and are the least mana consuming to heal, but their dmg intake tends to be scarily spiky) > pally with ardent on cd > average war/dk

8. I agree with what you say, the problem is "convincing" all people around that warrs work fine and are actually capable of tanking in warmane,in icc, outisde icc, as mts, as ots, etc.

9. Really good guide. I always try to inform my self as much as I can on the topic of tanking and see if I can improve.

My question is how can I continue the gearing process if I am sick of doing RDF ? Also I sit on around 4kgs, the only items I need are chest from PoS hc and Shield from Halls of Reflection. Also which pieces would you recommend from tier 9 set ? I would like to not use triumphs for t9 gear, but I think I will be forced due to lack of people raiding Uld/Toc.

10. 4 Weeks Ago  
    Really good guide. I always try to inform my self as much as I can on the topic of tanking and see if I can improve.

My question is how can I continue the gearing process if I am sick of doing RDF ? Also I sit on around 4kgs, the only items I need are chest from PoS hc and Shield from Halls of Reflection. Also which pieces would you recommend from tier 9 set ? I would like to not use triumphs for t9 gear, but I think I will be forced due to lack of people raiding Uld/Toc.
    What else would you use emblems on? Change whatever is your worst piece. Farming T9 should set you up for toc 10, or even icc.

First 12