1. May 17, 2015  

Cata or MOP?

Only ever played up to WOTLK, not sure if I want to jump in at MOP or go over to Cata first to experience all the changes there etc, any advice?

2. May 18, 2015  
    Only ever played up to WOTLK, not sure if I want to jump in at MOP or go over to Cata first to experience all the changes there etc, any advice?
    Id say that both expansions offer significant changes compared WOTLK.

I played both patches on retail and on warmane. However there are a few things to keep in mind.

* The young age of MOP, it will ofcause have less development then Cata has.
    * Cata still isnt perfect. It has all end game raids (With only one boss missing on normal, and a few on heroic) and is as of now only missing one 85 HC dungeon, (Hour of twillight)
    * Both expansions miss a lot of old content

My own experiences and preferences:
    I played mostly PVE, but I like PVP (arenas).
    Back on retail when they introduced raider finder, it ruined my view of raids - It simply got too easy to experience the end game content, you could run around like a headless chicken or click follow on the guy infront of you and still collect loots and achievements.
    It was introduced first in cata for dragon soul as a first version - The thing I like about warmane is that cata do not have raid finder scripted and it probably will not have it for a long time.
    When I swapped to MOP from cata I ran the raids quick, but the mechanics seemed forced and i did not really enjoy the last raids. So I ended up doing a lot of PVP and I really enjoyed this, it was relaxed and yet competitive.
    Cata PVP does not feel like it have the same balance with some PVE items giving an advantage.

TLDR; Raids: ++Cata, --Mop PVP: --Cata, ++Mop

If you enjoy the content overall, PVE+PVP, you might wanna progress through Cata into Mop to experience all the content :)