1. May 22, 2015  

Prot warrior PVE dps

Has anyone ever tried dps'ing as prot warrior in dps gear? In a 5man with 4.9k gs and 2k block value full on tank gear, I do 3-4k dps depending on group, now that dps will drop by around 30% due to missing revenge, damage shields and enrage, but you will gain XXX due to switching to dps gear so I'm really interested in trying it out, but pointless in trying it if someone else has and got X, Y or Z results.

2. May 22, 2015  
    ofc, RDFs are soo much faster with dps gear :-D 10k dps in 5 mans on average (keeping 2t10 + rest dps gear - ask your healer - they are ussually bored in 5mans anyways).

sux on single target though.. if you dont have aggro you become rage starved (no rage from damage taken), so you need to tank and thats not rly possible without at least keeping def cap. Still I did something about 10k dps on DBS 10 while wearing 540 def + rest dps gear (you need to be VERY overgeared to try something like that). Dont worry about block value (only on gun and shield), arp + crit ussually provides better sustained dmg.

3. May 22, 2015  
    ofc, RDFs are soo much faster with dps gear :-D 10k dps in 5 mans on average (keeping 2t10 + rest dps gear - ask your healer - they are ussually bored in 5mans anyways).

sux on single target though.. if you dont have aggro you become rage starved (no rage from damage taken), so you need to tank and thats not rly possible without at least keeping def cap. Still I did something about 10k dps on DBS 10 while wearing 540 def + rest dps gear (you need to be VERY overgeared to try something like that). Dont worry about block value (only on gun and shield), arp + crit ussually provides better sustained dmg.
    But what I mean by pve dps is, not tanking, but just wearing full on dps gear with 2pT10 and dps in battle stance or something. 12k shield slams are fun, with dps gear that will go even higher.

4. May 22, 2015  
    You will do worse than an Arms Warrior.

As mentioned before you will be rage starving. Also Revenge becomes useless, since you can't use it without being attacked. Leaving you with Devastate & Shield Slam. Not worth it.

But it's fun to tank with dps gear at 540 def in raids. On fights like DBS and Festergut you can pull some fair amounts of damage devastating low geared dps. You can even tank 10n LK with dps gear if your healer can keep up - at "BiS-Gear-levels" usually a mid geared hpala should be able to keep you alive.
    Edited: May 22, 2015

5. May 22, 2015  
    But what I mean by pve dps is, not tanking, but just wearing full on dps gear with 2pT10 and dps in battle stance or something. 12k shield slams are fun, with dps gear that will go even higher.
    If its fun for you to see high crits than go ahead and try it out. Just be warned that you will be lacking rage a lot and you will have to wait ages before you can use SS again because of it. If you want to do maximum damage per second, than tanking in half dps gear is the way to go - solves rage problem + enables use of Revenge.

My best crit went to something about 35k (it was either on fester or messed up bite at bql)... while in that mixed gear. (for comparrisson wit fury.. my best BT went over 45k and WW over 37k)
    Edited: May 22, 2015

6. May 22, 2015  
    It's simply not viable. Your only source of rage will be autoattacks, you will barely, if ever, be able to keep Shield Slam off cooldown, and Sword and Board not always working only makes it worse. The main reason tanks deal decent damage is because they get hit - Revenge, Shield Slam on cd, HS queued non-stop, Devastate while none of the mentioned is available. If nothing is hitting you, you simply won't be able to do all this.

And who said something about Arms Warriors? They're totally viable up until ICC where the huge rage spikes become an issue; one that Fury doesn't have.

7. May 24, 2015  
    One more thing crossed my mind.. you can try to use this spec: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LArc...0MZbZVctrx0bVb

Its bad for serious tanking and any aoe fight becomes nightmare, but it might actually be best tankps spec out there. (spam revenge with 2s cd)

8. May 28, 2015  
    it was some fail run.... 7 man ( 2 heal / 2 dps ) . It was 99% BiS Gear. no special buffs, just druid buff / gbok and that basic stuff.
    You can see I was pulling 8-9k, and maybe reached 10k at some point...Didnt had chance to try that at 25man / few month later Molten crashed. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxqIsxUQQY
    Edited: May 28, 2015

9. May 29, 2015  
    One more thing crossed my mind.. you can try to use this spec: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LArc...0MZbZVctrx0bVb

Its bad for serious tanking and any aoe fight becomes nightmare, but it might actually be best tankps spec out there. (spam revenge with 2s cd)
    Oh, you mean Arms + Prot hybrid? Haha, this spec is fun and very effective in outdoor PvP vs melee classes. I discovered it myself while leveling a warr in the first months of WotLK retail as Arms. Reaching Relentless Onslaught and tanking Zul Farrak made me think "hey, what if I just stop here and put the rest in Prot?" :D It's ridiculous and fun, but pretty bad for anything serious.

10. May 29, 2015  
    Oh, you mean Arms + Prot hybrid? Haha, this spec is fun and very effective in outdoor PvP vs melee classes. I discovered it myself while leveling a warr in the first months of WotLK retail as Arms. Reaching Relentless Onslaught and tanking Zul Farrak made me think "hey, what if I just stop here and put the rest in Prot?" :D It's ridiculous and fun, but pretty bad for anything serious.
    Yep, friend showed it to me back during 3.2 when improved revenge used to stun instead of doing bonus damage...

I was lazy to respec but it would be pretty good in my old guild - we had some rly bad icc10n runs there (like best dps doing 7k and 3 ppl under 3k on dbs) me solo-tanking in half dps gear, topping charts (I had bis prot and fury gear - so my 540 def gear had something like 70% arp) and solohealing hpal - enough do down bql pretty fast.