1. June 1, 2015  

Video Goes Black After A Few Minutes

This is definitely a hardware issue and not a game issue, but I thought folks would know specifically if this is my video card or something else.

I ran WoW on an old XP machine for years. Ended up buying this new piece of junk online and its been a pain. Ran SWOTR and AION for a while, then it started blanking out on me. Stopped gaming for a few months, then decided to load up WoW from Warmane's server after a student introduced me to it. I can run a single quest before I get a black screen. Audio still works, and the program seems to still be running, but my screen it totally black.

Is that the video card? I have a NVIDIA GT 620.

Any help is appreciated.

2. June 1, 2015  
    Well there can be a lot of issues that we can just guess, but which expansion are you playing on?
    Did you try disabling the addons?

3. June 1, 2015  
    Issue dont suddenly happen.
    It either happens at start or it doesnt. Ofcourse as Zardonic indicated to pinpoint the issue we need to have more information.

It all sounds like a conflict or an over heating of the graphics card. Since you dont seem to have the issue while not playing any games or doing 3rd rendering.
    Try to limit things that can interfear.
    - Disable all addons and all programs that "boost" things.
    - See if you can check the tempature of your GPU (there are allot of free tools on the internet that can do so)
    - Ofcourse update your drivers and DX software.

Last but not least.
    Also check your OS logs if something is mentioned in there of a program / proces that is conflicting.
    There can be allot of things that are involved with this and it doesnt have to be a dramatic issue. But you need to limit out things to pin point.

4. June 1, 2015  
    It is video card hardware problem ( most likely) or drivers problems try download new drivers(you will be happy if it is only drivers problem), as you said before, you had similar problems on other games I think you will need new video card or maybe try to fix this 1.

5. June 2, 2015  
    Thanks for the replies, folks.

I've updated to the latest drivers (did this before and checked again after I installed the game). I don't think its the drivers.
    I don't have any addons downloaded at the moment (never have on this computer) and certainly none enabled. :)

I am fairly certain its the VC, but I wanted to know if I might be missing something.

Thanks again, folks.

6. June 2, 2015  
    If you dont provide information we can work with and let us guessing in the dark it can be anything.

You need to provide as much possible information you can think of. Even if you doubt that it will matter .. that doesnt matter. The more we know the better we can help you.

7. June 2, 2015  
    Thanks for the replies, folks.

I've updated to the latest drivers (did this before and checked again after I installed the game). I don't think its the drivers.
    I don't have any addons downloaded at the moment (never have on this computer) and certainly none enabled. :)

I am fairly certain its the VC, but I wanted to know if I might be missing something.

Thanks again, folks.
    Dude give us some info... how you expect to get help when you just say " It goes black"

Which expansion ?

8. June 2, 2015  
    Guys no offense but read what was he said in first post there is no need for more information he told everything, his problem is not related with wow he had that problem on other games to, obviously it is problem in video card .

9. June 2, 2015  
    Or a tempature issue .. or a connection issue .. or a slot issue .. or a OS issue .. or a battery issue .. or or or or or.
    Hell it can even be a roommate who is dropping a black cloth infront of his screen every 2 minutes.

10. June 2, 2015  
    Might be even his monitor or PSU.
    And yeah if he expects help, he must provide info, we ain't no wizards.

11. June 2, 2015  
    Lets bet that is problem in video card ?? :D
    He bought pc online and most likely some1 sold him broken pc with broken v card.
    Temperature issue -video card will reastrt pc
    Connection problem- he could see more problems when he is on internet, this games arent on same server
    Slot issue - 99% it is not problem in it, he would have problems when he dont play games
    battery- he said he play on pc
    monitor- that happen only when he play games

12. June 2, 2015  
    This is definitely a hardware issue and not a game issue, but I thought folks would know specifically if this is my video card or something else.

I ran WoW on an old XP machine for years. Ended up buying this new piece of junk online and its been a pain. Ran SWOTR and AION for a while, then it started blanking out on me. Stopped gaming for a few months, then decided to load up WoW from Warmane's server after a student introduced me to it. I can run a single quest before I get a black screen. Audio still works, and the program seems to still be running, but my screen it totally black.

Is that the video card? I have a NVIDIA GT 620.

Any help is appreciated.
    On a single look I'd say you have an overheating problem, but dont know what you r plaing on, either way get your computer to someone who knows how to clean it up, change the processor paste etc... I bet its just overheating then it shuts down to prevent further dmg.

13. June 2, 2015  
    Checked the slot by putting in another video card I know works. That's not it.
    Checked connection through process of elimination. That's not it.
    Checked temperature and it is running hot, which makes me think:

1) The video card just can't handle the graphics on the games I run (even when set to lowest settings)
    2) Or more likely the card is going bad. It's even to the point now where it will black out for a moment while I'm surfing the net or watching Netflix or something. It doesn't black out for more than a few seconds in any condition, but this is not specific to WoW or any other game. The games just shut down the video completely and I have to reboot. Anything else is just a few seconds before the video comes back.

14. June 3, 2015  
    Have you cleaned it recently? If not, do so.
    If you have paste change it on CPU and GPU.
    And if you have a slot/place for a new vent go buy one and attach it, it's 1-2 bucks, but make sure you can plug it on ur motherboard, and if you have a CD and you don't use it you can un-plug it.
    But if it's that bad as you say, you'll probably need a new video card but it's not really woth it as ur pc is prob from the stone age.
    Try to find something on Amazon or local shop, I bet you can find a semi-decent machine for about 200 bucks.

15. June 4, 2015  
    Took PC into the Geek Squad and they ran tests. It was the VC. Bought a Radeon R7. Put it in last night and the computer wouldn't even boot. Even tried the other PCI Ex. slot. Guess Radeon doesn't work well with my stupid Intel chip (should have got an AMD). Taking it back tonight for an nVidia GT 720.

I'll get there. Looking forward to playing.

Thanks again folks for all the feedback.