1. Warrior tank viable?

I have heard that there are bugs which make warrior tanks not really viable in WOTLK, is this true?
    I am thinking about making a warrior tank and wanted to know if I should bother.

2. It is viable, but not preferred.

You'll have issues getting into a good LoD or RS heroic group as a warrior tank, as everyone is scared of them.
    In addition to that, most end-game guilds prefer anything except warrior for tanking. I have been in both ex-Udba and currently in Proud for the past 6 months, and I have tanked a total of two raids: Once a Icc 25hc (cause of me moaning and asking for a chance to tank), and a Icc 25 normal(no other tanks available). People are reluctant to warrior tanks.

If you're bent on making a tank, make a dk or paladin. Easy mode tanking plus no issues into getting that tanking spot. Otherwise, go dps, warrior is top tier dps with bis gear.

3. He is viable, one of his last bugs is currenlty being worked on (https://www.warmane.com/bugtracker/report/2160)

Still there is a really bad reputation about warrior tanking here on molten, so it will be tough without a guild who has no problems with that.
    The rumors about him not being tanky enought are a matter of the point of view aswell as a matter of skill.
    But if you dont want a simple tank like Pala and Dk who get kinda boring, you should definetly choose a warrior because its really different to other tanks.

4. Absolutely viable. The only bug Prot Warriors have is lower threat on Shield Slam. Everything else is bad players making the class look bad and bad raid leaders spreading it.

5. I noticed ,as a hunt, with a warr tank you gotta wait like two secs for tank to get aggro unless i md him to not take aggro. Once tank has it it usually goes well but always watching aggro with protection tank.

6. Aside from the threat generation issue, the problem with Warrior tank is that they're just a worse Paladin. People will grit their teeth and deal with a warrior tank if they have to, but they would prefer any other tank.

7. Aside from the threat generation issue, the problem with Warrior tank is that they're just a worse Paladin. People will grit their teeth and deal with a warrior tank if they have to, but they would prefer any other tank.
    Here is again a typical example that people dont even know the strenght of a GOOD protection warrior.
    Because if you play a prot warr GOOD, he is way better than a Paladin.

8. Aside from the threat generation issue, the problem with Warrior tank is that they're just a worse Paladin. People will grit their teeth and deal with a warrior tank if they have to, but they would prefer any other tank.
    Paladins - you mean that easy mode copy cats?

On the serious note.. When I am making raids I will take only prot war players, that I already know; I will risk unknown palas. Since its easy to be bad with war and hard to be bad with paladin. Well played war takes slightly less dmg than well played paladin. Paladin on the other hand provides more raid utility.

Depends on what you are comparing.. damage taken-wise yes, war is slightly better, utility - not so.

All tanks have their advantages/disadvantages. There are many things that come to play and different synergies with your raid group (bigger raid benefit > personal difference). War + pala tank work very well together btw.

Recent bug fix incresed def stance threat modifier from 1.65 to 2.07 -> cca 20% total threat increase for wars. Threat is now way better than it ever used to be here. And with SS threat fix in progress.. war will be rly rly good.

9. Here is again a typical example that people dont even know the strenght of a GOOD protection warrior.
    I mean, they just aren't. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, it's not like you can press your buttons in the right order and all of a sudden your warrior can have Ardent Defender.

10. I mean, they just aren't. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, it's not like you can press your buttons in the right order and all of a sudden your warrior can have Ardent Defender.
    One Ardent Defender doesn't suddenly make them better. Yes, it's good, but when you think about it it's just an automated Last Stand + death prevention - much like Cheat Death, but with a bigger value and without the damage reduction. My opinion is the same as jendah's - if I know the Warrior and I know he's good, I'd take him any day over a random Protadin who will end up running SoL or SoW and never using Holy Shield.

And no, Warriors are not just worse Paladins. They bring their own utility (Commanding Shout, Intimidating Shout, Demoralizing Shout, Thunder Clap, Intervene, Spell Reflection, Disarm, Shockwave, Concussion Blow - like HoJ but with damage and aggro, Vigilance - UNIQUE from all tanks), their own defensive cooldowns (Shield Block gives 100% block on-demand and doubles block value - something that NO other tank can do, Shield Wall, Last Stand), the highest mobility (Charge, Intercept, Intervene), and highest single-target threat of all tanks.

Paladins can apply Vindication on fewer targets (Demoralizing Shout - on all targets in range), Judgements of the Just only works on one target (Thunder Clap - on all targets in range), BoS's Str and Sta doesn't stack with BoK (Commanding Shout is one of the biggest health boost on WotLK and no endgame Warlock spec runs Imp), they have poor mobility (especially compared to Warriors), Consecration is static (Thunder Clap is instant and delivers its full effect), HoR hits only a few targets (yes, Cleave hits 2/3 targets but it can be spammed non-stop).

So do you still think Paladins are the clear winner as tanks? They are the easiest and the most well-rounded, but sometimes there are other things which matter more...
    Edited: June 14, 2015

11. One Ardent Defender doesn't suddenly make them better. Yes, it's good, but when you think about it it's just an automated Last Stand + death prevention - much like Cheat Death, but with a bigger value and without the damage reduction.
    I mean, yes, what you're describing is quite literally the best survivability ability in the history of the game. There's a reason AD got nerfed into being a clicky.

My opinion is the same as jendah's - if I know the Warrior and I know he's good, I'd take him any day over a random Protadin who will end up running SoL or SoW and never using Holy Shield.
    Do you realize he was saying "Paladin is easy enough that I'll risk taking an unknown Paladin tank, but Warrior isn't?" Obviously anyone would take a known, quality player over some random.

12. Just in the same way Warriors were rumored as a bad tanking class on Molten, so are Paladin players stereotyped in general as bad and lazy due to the easiness of the class. And more often than not it is true. Gearing up a Warrior and getting him into ICC is not an easy task. It is with a Paladin though, and without much skill or effort. I've seen Paladin tanks failing MUCH more than Warriors, mainly due to lack of skill... not bugs. Thus I would much rather take a Warrior tank, as I have even before the latest fixes. Now - even more so.

13. It seems like you're saying that because playing a Warrior is difficult, the class attracts skilled players, or something. To put it mildly, this is not my experience.

14. This thread is so funny. Prot Paladin is a better tank. Almost every single TOP raiding guild (guilds that fought for world firsts) on retail used Paladin as main tnak. Stop trying to argue.

15. It seems like you're saying that because playing a Warrior is difficult, the class attracts skilled players, or something. To put it mildly, this is not my experience.
    Players that are attracted to wars are same as those attracted to palas.. difference is that you dont need to know as much as war does with pala to be usable. (rly good wars are as rare as rly good paladins - wars take less dmg with skill, paladins help raid more with skill - saving ppl with HoPs/LoHs, dispelling,...)

This thread is so funny. Prot Paladin is a better tank. Almost every single TOP raiding guild (guilds that fought for world firsts) on retail used Paladin as main tnak. Stop trying to argue.
    Well paragon used druid MT and pala OT for world first LoD. They also used 3 rogues, 3 warlocks and 2 cat druids... so ideal raid composion should look like that, right? Best guilds simply use what they have atm and are good enough for it to work. Druid MT was a must btw since they had only 5% icc buff and any other tank simply would not have enough EHP. Its silly to argue with world firsts now, when we have 30% buff.

Paragon video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh7kQkQkLik

Their raid comp:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ll-by-Paragon/

123 Last