1. Helloo how all :D , ok i got it , backup my data about details characters bla bla bla . . . but when i push the button "backup" were this data go! to my pc? or to my account!? and why not molten do that* why should member of warmany the fan wow do this joB oO! ! !?
    i suspect about that :>
    After the backup process is finished (process can take up to 30 mins), a download button will appear which you will be able to click on and download the data to your pc. You will find the .webs file in your download folder. Keep in mind that this file can not be viewed or edited and it should be kept in a safe place in case a disaster occurs.

Kaer already explained the reasoning behind implementation of a system like this:

WEBS is designed to further enhance the already high security of Warmane community against disasters by allowing account holders safely store their account information. In a highly unlikely scenario of complete database loss, our community members would be able to restore their full account information through our website using their local backup file. WEBS file can only be used by Warmane to restore community a member's account in case of a force majeure.

2. Looks like progress to me...

On another note it would have been great if something like this (on a much smaller/simpler level) had been implemented long ago to reverse the December 2014 incident, like an "'off-site" server data backup with limited/no access to staff except in the case of data loss. A backup system if in place back then would more than likely have certainly kept the thousands of players that left after the "wipe" here on the server.

At the moment a downside I see with something like this are the cases where for whatever reason(s) the personal backup isn't "legit", whether it be from someone tampering with the back file(s) themselves or a legit backup being/becoming corrupt from the backup process itself or while it is on someone's computer (i.e. viruses/malware, HDD sector corruption, etc.).

In the cases where the backups aren't tampered with but rather corrupted/damaged by other means (viruses, etc.) what will happen in those cases? Will the players yet again be faced with starting over or leaving? Why not backup player accounts automatically and periodically off site anyway? Not all at one time of course but in waves based on account creation date and or some other factor(s)? Currently backups can only be made once a week anyway so why not queue off "active" accounts for backup weekly (server side)?

I currently see more harm than good putting the responsibility of backing up player accounts on the players themselves instead of off site server backups. With off site server backups the responsibility of keeping accounts safe is on the server/host which in my opinion is the way it should be. If a player makes a legit backup and for whatever non-malicious reason(s) that backup isn't honored in the event of mass data loss they are pretty much in the same boat as if there was no account backup system in place.

3. Looks like progress to me...

On another note it would have been great if something like this (on a much smaller/simpler level) had been implemented long ago to reverse the December 2014 incident, like an "'off-site" server data backup with limited/no access to staff except in the case of data loss. A backup system if in place back then would more than likely have certainly kept the thousands of players that left after the "wipe" here on the server.

At the moment a downside I see with something like this are the cases where for whatever reason(s) the personal backup isn't "legit", whether it be from someone tampering with the back file(s) themselves or a legit backup being/becoming corrupt from the backup process itself or while it is on someone's computer (i.e. viruses/malware, HDD sector corruption, etc.).

In the cases where the backups aren't tampered with but rather corrupted/damaged by other means (viruses, etc.) what will happen in those cases? Will the players yet again be faced with starting over or leaving? Why not backup player accounts automatically and periodically off site anyway? Not all at one time of course but in waves based on account creation date and or some other factor(s)? Currently backups can only be made once a week anyway so why not queue off "active" accounts for backup weekly (server side)?

I currently see more harm than good putting the responsibility of backing up player accounts on the players themselves instead of off site server backups. With off site server backups the responsibility of keeping accounts safe is on the server/host which in my opinion is the way it should be. If a player makes a legit backup and for whatever non-malicious reason(s) that backup isn't honored in the event of mass data loss they are pretty much in the same boat as if there was no account backup system in place.
    Mоlten had backups on several different hosts. All of them were taken off during the hijack as the company that accepted and sent payments for those servers was the only one who had access to the control panel. This has been explained many times already.

Warmane's databases are across over 20 servers right now, that is as safe as it can get, we're not amateurs. WEBS is my own idea to help protect the community from any attack by a person who has power and responsibility, including myself in case I go evil and berserk.

4. Mоlten had backups on several different hosts. All of them were taken off during the hijack as the company that accepted and sent payments for those servers was the only one who had access to the control panel. This has been explained many times already.

Warmane's databases are across over 20 servers right now, that is as safe as it can get, we're not amateurs. WEBS is my own idea to help protect the community from any attack by a person who has power and responsibility, including myself in case I go evil and berserk.
    Sounds like a great idea, especially to gain more trust from the community :)
    but.... what if the creator of WEBS goes full ******? Everything down etc. how would the community be able to restore when it is encrypted? :)
    So example:
    Kaer Wolf goes in enrage, 5000k hit on the level80 pally tank. boom gone. Pally tank wants to ressurect, but the spirit healer got killed by Kaer wolf's cleave for 5000k aswell. Without spirit healer and deleted corpse (cuz hardcore) we cant ressurect. the person who is able to make the webtool working is the one in charge here. this might be you or edifice, but the risk factor is still there.

Anyway, as I said: great idea! ^^ I like it, just incase all 20 hosts get water damage or something :)

5. Ok how are you going to deal with this possibility:

I have my WEBS file in my HDD but i copy-paste it several times and give every copy to a few others who also play on the server. A disaster happens and we all try to restore from the same WEBS file.

What's the protection against that?

6. Ok how are you going to deal with this possibility:

I have my WEBS file in my HDD but i copy-paste it several times and give every copy to a few others who also play on the server. A disaster happens and we all try to restore from the same WEBS file.

There is no way to protect your account if you write account name, email and password on forum, and it's the same situation as you wrote. Seriously throw your credit card with pin number on street.

7. So I should save my process every werk in order to have the latest back-up copy in case a berserk is going on?

8. Ok how are you going to deal with this possibility:

Technically your backup should only work once, if we have the accounts like we had last time it will most likely only work under your account.

9. WEBS is my own idea to help protect the community from any attack by a person who has power and responsibility, including myself in case I go evil and berserk.
    This is the only case where this thing could be useful now that you have understood (after 2 wipes) that you should have separated backups under YOUR control.
    Now in case you go "berserk" and noone else can take over this will go to waste too...

10. Sounds like a great idea, especially to gain more trust from the community :)
    but.... what if the creator of WEBS goes full ******? Everything down etc. how would the community be able to restore when it is encrypted? :)
    So example:
    Kaer Wolf goes in enrage, 5000k hit on the level80 pally tank. boom gone. Pally tank wants to ressurect, but the spirit healer got killed by Kaer wolf's cleave for 5000k aswell. Without spirit healer and deleted corpse (cuz hardcore) we cant ressurect. the person who is able to make the webtool working is the one in charge here. this might be you or edifice, but the risk factor is still there.

Anyway, as I said: great idea! ^^ I like it, just incase all 20 hosts get water damage or something :)
    In addition... if you go beserk (assuming someone else will be able to get the WEBS restore page working)... you could also tamper the way it is working. So all the WEBS will be corrupt when made after 20-07-15 for example. People with the most recent ones will be screwed.

Oh well... if we just assume you (nor edifice if he is into the WEBS aswell) will not go beserk, I think the system is perfectly saVe ;) ;)

11. July 1, 2015  
    Hello,

The WEBS is a really good ideea if it's flawless but:
    I consider this a flaw, cause at a time the file will be decrypted, imagine why major game designers don't offer this kind of backup?
    I really hope that i'm wrong but time will say it all!
    Warmane has its own back-up of our data, this is just our own copy. I think the staff has enough expertise to determine whether or not a WEBS file is tampered or not.

Anyway, great idea warmane :D You've shown that you learn from your mistakes and that you care for your customers and patrons ^^
    kudos to the staff. this feature will erase the doubts of those who are still not over the moltdown incident.

I have a question though:
    Back in Molten the staff implements an annual accounts clearn-up where you delete accounts which have been inactive for more than a year. If we have WEBS file and our accounts got deleted due to inactivity, can we still restore our account by giving our copy of WEBS to the warmane staff?

12. July 1, 2015  
    Nice feature but, how much does the backup weigh? (min, avg. and/or max)

First ... 23456 ... Last