View Poll Results: Forbidden or expensive?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forbid.

441 74.49%
  • Allow.

151 25.51%
  1. July 2, 2015  
    No name change, but dont apply that 'molten' part to this, meaning after some long time , years, you enable it .
    No name change will help permanently on this realm with ninjas where we can have one massive thread on forum, plus this realm needs better protection from ninjas.
    Also people will be able to name change using this method:
    1.Delete character
    2.Create lvl1 char under same name
    3.Restore original character and its auto flagged for rename.

To counter this you should simply flag lvl1 char for rename instead of restored char or auto delete dummy char OR consider char name as "taken" even after deletion while 30 day restore period is available, this would also prevent name selling.

2. July 2, 2015  
    Ninjas isn't a good excuse to disable naming. It is banned already and a 60 days punishment first offense is a lot.
    There will be players saving names, and when cleanups happens, there will be players who want their names so badly that they'll be up to paying high prices for them.
    I see no benefit in disabling name change, except it feels slightly more hardcore, but disabling them is also bad to those who care for their names. Having high prices (20 coins for example and not possible to buy with points) is enough, and only those who want their names will use the service.

I don't want to say the majority yet, but reading all the posts here, clearly there are people voting forbid because they think this will impact ninjaing. And it will not.
    Edited: July 2, 2015

3. July 2, 2015  
    I don't want to say the majority yet, but reading all the posts here, clearly there are people voting forbid because they think this will impact ninjaing. And it will not.
    I believe the point is impacting the re-incidence. If you're caught, reported and punished as a ninja, you actually get a bad name that matters, since you won't be able to just name change and do it again. Reputation has a lot more meaning and weight when you can't flip-flop names.

4. July 2, 2015  
    I believe the point is impacting the re-incidence. If you're caught, reported and punished as a ninja, you actually get a bad name that matters, since you won't be able to just name change and do it again. Reputation has a lot more meaning and weight when you can't flip-flop names.
    Unless there is a forum topic with known ninjas, or accusing others of ninjaing in-game through global chat becomes allowed, it will have a minor impact as few people will know he's a ninja. Besides, repeating the offense increases the ban length (I'm not sure but I believe doing it the 2nd time makes it a permanent ban).
    The anti-ninja policy is strong enough already and it does the job, it isn't a good reason to remove renaming.

5. July 2, 2015  
    Unless there is a forum topic with known ninjas, or accusing others of ninjaing in-game through global chat becomes allowed, it will have a minor impact as few people will know he's a ninja. Besides, repeating the offense increases the ban length (I'm not sure but I believe doing it the 2nd time makes it a permanent ban).
    The anti-ninja policy is strong enough already and it does the job, it isn't a good reason to remove renaming.
    People mentioned a blacklist topic, yes. And while the "anti-ninja" policy is a good measure, it's reactive, not proactive. It deals with the offense, but the harm is still there since the items aren't given to the people who should otherwise own them, as far as I know. Having known ninja be ostracized by the community would keep it from being done again by the same people, and on a low rate realm few would actually level up and gear alternate characters just to go ninja again. Maybe a few would still try, but the possibility of not being accepted in any guild or raid in the future should curb the interest for many would be thieves.

6. July 2, 2015  
    I'm of opinion that forbidding character renaming will help against players having constantly bad attitudes to everyone else. You know that moment when you realize that the low level Paladin that you were tagging mobs from is now a guild leader of the guild you applied to and he remembers you.

7. July 2, 2015  
    .. just remove renaming from all realms in my opinion. ':f

8. July 2, 2015  
    I'm of opinion that forbidding character renaming will help against players having constantly bad attitudes to everyone else. You know that moment when you realize that the low level Paladin that you were tagging mobs from is now a guild leader of the guild you applied to and he remembers you.
    The main reason I stand for forbid is because after the hyjack a lot of names of friends of mine and including mine were stolen. That was not a coincidence in any matter. Somebody just seeked for an opportunity that was given back then and stole all of these well known names on the current realms which on it's side you know prevented the original characters named after these names for years to play with their original names.
    On the one hand the person who stole them might have stolen them just to block us from playing with these names (which was my case - because my original Neltharion name Mynce was stolen after the hyjack and I personally added Mynce in my contacts so I track down when does this person logs in, and I found out that this person doesn't log in, he just locked my name to prevent me from logging in), on the other hand what if the person uses the stolen names to cause drama and other stuff, pretending being the original people behind the names.

That was the thing I strongly attached myself after that experience. Until today I haven't logged back on Cataclysm, because my name was stolen there. I had to register a new character name (JesyMynce) to be able to log in, and after having further conversations with some of my friends in-game (knowing where to find them), they had other names as well, and when asking them why, they said that their names have been taken as well (I underline that some of these people were officers and guild leaders or well known on neltharion players).

So that sums up why I voted with forbid. That point also clashes with the 'bad attitude' you mentioned above. 'Ninja' doesnt only mean one thing in that situation, I'd say that in that case it stays close to 'ninja=scam'.

9. July 2, 2015  
    the point of it isn't only to punish ninjas but the bad attitude in general.
    we aren't on official where you can play with thousand of ppl via cross-realms feature, reputation in private servers matter, and who flame and act like a douchebag have to understand that can be blacklisted and excluded from any raid group and others activity.

10. July 2, 2015  
    the point of it isn't only to punish ninjas but the bad attitude in general.
    we aren't on official where you can play with thousand of ppl via cross-realms feature, reputation in private servers matter, and who flame and act like a douchebag have to understand that can be blacklisted and excluded from any raid group and others activity.
    I find it funny, it is true, very true, but you know if that's the case then more than half of the population will get punished, or people will simply learn to be more tolerant by knowing that playing their game on their fav private server costs some good attitude in return. :D

11. July 2, 2015  
    I find it funny, it is true, very true, but you know if that's the case then more than half of the population will get punished, or people will simply learn to be more tolerant by knowing that playing their game on their fav private server costs some good attitude in return. :D
    i think if ppl put in ignore list and avoid to play with toxic players, they will end to play with others toxic players and i think this will lead to:
    1- the player become more toxic, until he get banned or ragequit.
    2- since there isn't rename, the player will lvl another char and correct he's attitude if he don't want to repeat the experience.
    3- the player will start to be nice and clean he's name.

is a win on any side for polite players

12. July 2, 2015  
    If you vote pro, your a ninja :) right as rain.

13. July 2, 2015  
    Forbid.

All the ninjas, noobs, trolls, beggars, douchebags and rage-quiters shouldn't be able to change their names to avoid being /ignored.

14. July 2, 2015  

15. July 2, 2015  
    i have voted forbid for the sake of encouraging good gaming attitude.

i only have one concern. consider this case:

==========================================
    *Player A made a Warrior named "Cloudstrife", played with a bad attitude, deleted the char (making the name available) and chose to play again using a different name.

*Player B, a newbie player who is a fanboy of Final Fantasy VII made a char using the same name "Cloudstrife" also a warrior, without knowing that it has a bad reputation in the realm.

dont you think it could be unfair to some people, especially newbies, if they accidentally used a previously taken name with bad reputation?
    They might be discriminated or persecuted unknowingly, and since rename is forbidden, they will surely have a hard time playing.
    They might even be denied the chance to join groups or raids being accused as ninja, or be the subject of trash talks in global as a scammer.
    ==========================================

TBH i know that this is a very special case, low probability of happening, but i still find it unfair to the victim here (second user of a name with bad reputation).

IMO: if you're going to forbid renaming, might as well make names a one-time use only. This might also prevent people from name-hoarding because they cant sell it anymore.

First 1234 Last