View Poll Results: Forbidden or expensive?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forbid.

441 74.49%
  • Allow.

151 25.51%
  1. July 3, 2015  
    Glad to hear lordaeron is back :D it was my fave realm b4 the wipe

2. July 3, 2015  
    Forbidding namechange does not only affect those, who are mean to others, but those, who'd like to hide from harassing ppl as well. Some times, mean ppl gank up on some....

3. July 3, 2015  

4. July 3, 2015  
    MemorieZ
    You should forbid rename on Lord but also on other realms you should set it much higher cost. Also it would be nice to disable deleting characters with lets say level 80 since we talk about Lord here.

5. July 3, 2015  
    I'm of opinion that forbidding character renaming will help against players having constantly bad attitudes to everyone else. You know that moment when you realize that the low level Paladin that you were tagging mobs from is now a guild leader of the guild you applied to and he remembers you.
    agree 100%. It would also make it easier on guild maters/officers in scenarios when someone has been kicked from the guild and then keeps trying to return and cause trouble or harass members (under multiple name changes)

6. July 3, 2015  
    i have voted forbid for the sake of encouraging good gaming attitude.

i only have one concern. consider this case:

==========================================
    *Player A made a Warrior named "Cloudstrife", played with a bad attitude, deleted the char (making the name available) and chose to play again using a different name.

*Player B, a newbie player who is a fanboy of Final Fantasy VII made a char using the same name "Cloudstrife" also a warrior, without knowing that it has a bad reputation in the realm.

dont you think it could be unfair to some people, especially newbies, if they accidentally used a previously taken name with bad reputation?
    They might be discriminated or persecuted unknowingly, and since rename is forbidden, they will surely have a hard time playing.
    They might even be denied the chance to join groups or raids being accused as ninja, or be the subject of trash talks in global as a scammer.
    ==========================================

TBH i know that this is a very special case, low probability of happening, but i still find it unfair to the victim here (second user of a name with bad reputation).

IMO: if you're going to forbid renaming, might as well make names a one-time use only. This might also prevent people from name-hoarding because they cant sell it anymore.

But what if people start making characters and deleting them just so that name can't be used? I know it sounds stupid but people are people.

7. July 3, 2015  
    But what if people start making characters and deleting them just so that name can't be used? I know it sounds stupid but people are people.
    That was my case, as I described earlier. And it wasn't only me who experienced it. :D

8. July 3, 2015  
    good point.

well they can limit the non-maximum level (non-80) character creation by 1, and have a 7 day cooldown on character deletion.
    this means that unless your first character reaches lvl 80, you cant create another level 1 character.

if you find it strict to set the limit to 1... maybe 3? for character cooldown, as low as 3? let the staff decide ^^
    IMO being able to create ten level 1 characters is what enables ppl to name hoard.
    the only way to bypass this is to create multiple accounts and create-delete, which sounds seriously stupid and a great hassle.
    and seriously i pity those who will do this.
    although in the end, it does no one harm other than make names unavailable.

9. July 3, 2015  
    That was my case, as I described earlier. And it wasn't only me who experienced it. :D
    I believe he's talking about your idea of making names one-time use only. People could go creating characters and deleting them just to make names permanently unusable.

Either way, it's a situation where people wanting to cause trouble will manage to, one way or another, no matter what is done, unfortunately. It might be a case where we need policies and punishments for people who try to abuse and cause trouble.

Regarding taking a name that had a bad reputation, if the idea of no race and faction changes remain, you would need to have the same name, be of the same faction, same race and same class for people to not quickly realize you're someone else using a ditched name. On the extreme case where EVERYTHING matches, well... build a new reputation, show you're not the same person. After all, if the reputation was THAT bad, you'd likely find out about it rather quickly and have the choice of sticking to it or starting over with a fresh name before you were all geared and leveled up. Someone who's that much of a fan of a name would most likely just build a new reputation.

10. July 3, 2015  
    Character naming policy (names such as ifakursis, lickmylala or ieaturazz being strictly forbidden)

Why is name like lickmylala forbiden? Whats lala? Here is the one type of flower... :D

11. July 3, 2015  
    whether character rename on Lordaeron.//// but realm transfer deatwhing to ragnaros why no?

12. July 3, 2015  
    Forbidden character rename will let players think twice, before do something stupid like ninjaing or insulting people. The person must feel responsobility, even when he play from any corner of the world.

13. July 3, 2015  
    I vote for "forbid" :) It's awesome to see some old character in future, to have the achievement from a long time, or to know very well that person who plays the character. To be remembered or known.

14. July 4, 2015  
    Regarding taking a name that had a bad reputation, if the idea of no race and faction changes remain, you would need to have the same name, be of the same faction, same race and same class for people to not quickly realize you're someone else using a ditched name. On the extreme case where EVERYTHING matches, well... build a new reputation, show you're not the same person. After all, if the reputation was THAT bad, you'd likely find out about it rather quickly and have the choice of sticking to it or starting over with a fresh name before you were all geared and leveled up. Someone who's that much of a fan of a name would most likely just build a new reputation.
    well true :D if you work hard enough you can overwrite the bad reputation of a name, although there are really some players who are not open-minded and are very prejudiced against unethical players (esp ninjas). Well like you said this case has a very low probability, so yeah its better to try forbidding renaming first and see how the community will respond.

on the matter of name-hoarding: is it possible to limit the creation of non-level 80 char per account to a certain number? i mean like if you can only create 3 characters at first, and you can only create a 4th one once you leveled one of the first three characters to 80. this will reduce name-hoarding to 3 per account and discourage ppl from doing so (although of course people who are really determined to can create multiple accounts and take the names).

15. July 4, 2015  
    I believe he's talking about your idea of making names one-time use only. People could go creating characters and deleting them just to make names permanently unusable.

Either way, it's a situation where people wanting to cause trouble will manage to, one way or another, no matter what is done, unfortunately. It might be a case where we need policies and punishments for people who try to abuse and cause trouble.

Indeed, I spoke on skype with a staff member and he explained me the deal about the so called policies. I don't want to get in details about them, because this might cause trouble if I state to the readers of the thread, who have no idea about these stuff, how policies are being actually handled.

Btw taking a name with bad reputation is not the only case. Taking a name with good reputation on purpose to ruin it's reputation is a possibility as well. I personally don't have any problem with the race, name and faction, because through my 7 years of World of Warcraft playing I've always been the same name, the same faction - Alliance, same draenei character, with the same mogs and look. So luckily to me that cannot really affect me, because I am recognisible in many ways, even in attitude.
    But I see that for sure many other people will be having that issue.

I think that everybody must consider making their own most used character name, so that name stays as unique and distinctive from the rest. You can always have dozen of alts, but you should have one name that you will be carrying yourself with everywhere and anytime.
    Not long ago people used to call the names of the accounts - nicknames, just like the nicknames people give to each other, for one reason or another. It looks like we don't look on the account names as 'nicknames' anymore. My nickname is Mynce (aka JesyMynce) and has always been that way, somebody elses nickname is Toniplavna (with for example main character Toni - but how many people are going to want to call their chars after their actual names? Many, while if I didn't become active on the forums the people who saw and stole my name on purpose, wouldn't have stolen it, because they didn't know who Mynce was, only people who knew me in-game knew of it, so I have created a name that is enough distinctive not to give people ideas of ever making such a name, they get ideas of copying the name only after they see the actual Mynce (JesyMynce) and my reputation, which applies to many other names).
    And I said it before and people got mad about it - what do you do when a name of a famous or not so famous but yet name of a trend is being used by a person who just decided to call himself/herself for example Crendor, or Soddapoppin, or even me JesyMynce, when I have my own channels and medias where I promote my own content in various of ways, the same ways other people do. To copy a name publicly in the prescence of the actual person behind the name. I don't think this should be acceptable.
    Crendor and Sodda don't care, because they play on retail, but I play here, and to have my name copied, because a kid decided that he will punish me that way is just not right, especially when the name used is a name of an official channel or a trend, or call it however you want. This is my own personal sign, the sign I sign my work with, the sign I sign my videos with, my logo with, my wallpapers and everything. :D Such names, like Crendor, Swifty and others are trademarked, they are not just names anybody could use and impersonate, they are trademarked, because people work with these name, the same way JesyMynce and Mynce has always been the sign for my books and work. Every author (of movies, of books, of youtube videos and dozen other possibilities) has a nickname. Hope you understand my point finally.
    Edited: July 4, 2015

First 1234 Last