1. Top tanks in wotlk

Hi, recently i decided to get back into wow. I want to play on Lordaeron when it comes out and now I'm trying to decide which tank class would be best suited for me. Which tank do you think brings more to a raid? Which tank is considered to be the best?

2. There's no such thing as the "best tank", all the four classes which can fit in the role have their pros and cons. Since they have finally fixed the warrior protection aggro I will definetly roll one of them.

3. Dude, dont get me wrong i know there is no "best" tank.. i dont even know why i wrote that down in the first place.. thats my bad. All I was asking is for the pros and cons of each tank class, what it brings to the raid, which one requires more skill and which does not, etc..

4. Dude, dont get me wrong i know there is no "best" tank.. i dont even know why i wrote that down in the first place.. thats my bad. All I was asking is for the pros and cons of each tank class, what it brings to the raid, which one requires more skill and which does not, etc..
    I've tanked only with warriors and paladins so I can answer you only about these two classes. They are both good in single target and aoe tanking (maybe the paladin is a bit better on single target and the war on aoe) and both of them bring good and not replaceable buffs to the raid (Blessings and Commanding Shout). I've found the protection warrior to be more funny and enjoyable, because of its mobility (Charge, Intercept and Intervene) and because it has more crowd controls, which are really useful when you have to tank pack of mobs in the dungeons (you have two silence abilities with one of them being ranged, a single target stun, an aoe stun, even an aoe fear to use when you are in a critical situation), not to mention that the Sunder Armor debuff applied by Devastate increases all the damage done by mdps and hunters. The paladin protection seems to be easier and its rotation may become boring after a while, but it has Ardent Defender, which is considered the most overpowered passive ability in the history of the ****ing game (as you can see here: The legacy of the paladin ), while with your warrior you need to time your defensive cooldowns more properly. The last big difference is that the protection paladins have also some support abilities for the entire raid, like divine sacrifice, lay on hands, hand of protection... even if the support role should usually be a matter of the rets. I know nothing about feral druids and blood dks, aside from the fact that blood dks seem to be the best off tanking spec. My main tank and guild leader before the Molten wipe was a feral druid and he has never failed to hold the aggro even in the most difficult fights.
    Edited: August 30, 2015

5. I've tanked only with warriors and paladins so I can answer you only about these two classes. They are both good in single target and aoe tanking (maybe the paladin is a bit better on single target and the war on aoe) and both of them bring good and not replaceable buffs to the raid (Blessings and Commanding Shout). I've found the protection warrior to be more funny and enjoyable, because of its mobility (Charge, Intercept and Intervene) and because it has more crowd controls, which are really useful when you have to tank pack of mobs in the dungeons (you have two silence abilities with one of them being ranged, a single target stun, an aoe stun, even an aoe fear to use when you are in a critical situation), not to mention that the Sunder Armor debuff applied by Devastate increases all the damage done by mdps and hunters. The paladin protection seems to be easier and its rotation may become boring after a while, but it has Ardent Defender, which is considered the most overpowered passive ability in the history of the ****ing game (as you can see here: The legacy of the paladin ), while with your warrior you need to time your defensive cooldowns more properly. The last big difference is that the protection paladins have also some support abilities for the entire raid, like divine sacrifice, lay on hands, hand of protection... even if the support role should usually be a matter of the rets. I know nothing about feral druids and blood dks, aside from the fact that blood dks seem to be the best off tanking spec. My main tank and guild leader before the Molten wipe was a feral druid and he has never failed to hold the aggro even in the most difficult fights.

Ty fo the the great answer, but there is one more thing i want to ask you.. Why did you say that blood dks are considered the "best" off tanking spec?

6. Ty fo the the great answer, but there is one more thing i want to ask you.. Why did you say that blood dks are considered the "best" off tanking spec?
    Generally because I've always seen a blood dk as off tank in my raiding experience. My guild use to have one. But I have no experience with that spec.

7. Ty fo the the great answer, but there is one more thing i want to ask you.. Why did you say that blood dks are considered the "best" off tanking spec?
    I recently started tanking for first time in 4-5 years of playing wow with a blood dk, and I can say that they are considered best off-tanks because they are pretty good at everything, and if taking heavily damage they have a lot of tools to survive and even make the life of the healer(s) more easy at that time.
    Edited: September 6, 2015

8. To be honest there is no best tank imo... All tanks have their advantages and disadvantages... Althought because of the ICC buff druids become a bit weaker but they are still viable... But you usually take the other tanks you have (paladins and warriors mainly). We did not have many DK tanks in our guild... It mostly was Feral druid, Prot warrior and Prot paladin... It all depends on the situation and the fight you gonna do. I like the prot warrior the best but that's only because that's the class i play and enjoy the most (have not tested any of the other classes)

9. Ardent Defender alone secures Paladins their spot as the generally most desirable tanks in WotLK. As a tank, having the most overpowered death-denying ability in the history of all tanking abilities ever in WoW that's on a 2 minute cooldown, is kind of a major plus, to say the least. Druids/DK's/warriors also have their niches, although just as in retail, warrior tanks are less favored for ICC progression compared to all other tanks, and that's a trend that's even more heavily pronounced here on Warmane.

It's also a complete myth that Bears are more set back by the -20% dodge debuff than other tanks, so don't let that be a consideration.

10. Ardent Defender alone secures Paladins their spot as the generally most desirable tanks in WotLK. As a tank, having the most overpowered death-denying ability in the history of all tanking abilities ever in WoW that's on a 2 minute cooldown, is kind of a major plus, to say the least. Druids/DK's/warriors also have their niches, although just as in retail, warrior tanks are less favored for ICC progression compared to all other tanks, and that's a trend that's even more heavily pronounced here on Warmane.

It's also a complete myth that Bears are more set back by the -20% dodge debuff than other tanks, so don't let that be a consideration.
    IF you take out that Ardent Defender from paladins then they wouldn't be so ''hyped'' besides warriors were only unpopular because armor did not work as it should... Afaik it works now on Lordaeron... The mitigation for tanks from armor did not work so now it should be different.

11. IF you take out that Ardent Defender from paladins then they wouldn't be so ''hyped'' besides warriors were only unpopular because armor did not work as it should... Afaik it works now on Lordaeron... The mitigation for tanks from armor did not work so now it should be different.
    The lack of warrior tanks in end-game WotLK isn't exclusive to Warmane, though. This trend was also observed on retail. The fact that the niches of other tanks were more suited to ICC progression, coupled with the handful of inconveniences that come with Warrior tanks saw the popularity of Prot Warriors suffer towards the end of the Expansion.

12. The lack of warrior tanks in end-game WotLK isn't exclusive to Warmane, though. This trend was also observed on retail. The fact that the niches of other tanks were more suited to ICC progression, coupled with the handful of inconveniences that come with Warrior tanks saw the popularity of Prot Warriors suffer towards the end of the Expansion.
    Yeah, Warriors were best used as Fury for insane deeps with high-end gear in ICC...hue hue hue! :)

13. if you're not part of a raiding guild and raid with pugs then blood dk is for you! healers suck ? no problem

123 Last