1. Is Ret viable?

Never played a Paladin in WotLK, but from what I had heard lolret DPS was in the toilet back then. Is this true? I understand that people should pick what spec they enjoy the most, but I really want to do some WotLK raids on the server and there are other classes I don't mind playing otherwise, it is just that I really enjoy ret.

2. Ret is amongst the top PVE DPS specs on WotLK

3. - Excellent DPS.
    - Several raid buffs, some of which are almost exclusive to Ret, because the spec brings the buff most reliably.
    - One of the best utility in the game, especially in the hands of a player who knows how to maximally employ it.

To reply to your question by only telling you that Rets are viable would be making a massive understatement.

4. As far as i'm aware (this is icc i believe) It would be Rogues then Mages then Warrior and then Ret but that's what i found online (generally) but as Dark mentioned they are nice to have :)

5. Ret paladins are my area of expertise. After the most recent fixes to paladin seals retridins can pull a lot of dps but don't expect to be #1 anyway blessings are key elements within raids also it doesn't require much of brain tbh you have priority list and it ain't hard as some other specs or classes. Overall a fun and very useuful spec to have in raids.

6. viable yes, from my experience there are a million paladins on every new wrath server thou so just be warned you gota either make a name for yourself or get into a guild just starting from the ground up, but that goes for all specs of paladins as they are usually all filled in a guild roster

7. I know you may not care but Ret/Frost is IMO one of the best 2v2 setup with mage. Your DPS is a bit weaker than in SPM but HoF, demon and undead fear, BoS and great defensive capabilities are just amazing to have. If you play well it's hard to kill any of you while it's easy to kill SP.

8. Ret paladins became the most OP class in early WOTLK (during TBC Pre-WOTLK patch .. green geared paladins could kill full epic geared people) and also being one of the top dmg/dps (ret paladins was even viable in TBC...)