1. Someone stealing used character names on other realms

Is someone using some hack just to write down names from other realms ? i dont belive that all my character names what i was using with coincidence got used already.

2. Is someone using some hack just to write down names from other realms ? i dont belive that all my character names what i was using with coincidence got used already.
    umad?
    realm is on for 1.5hours and you are complaining that someeone took your name... i took 20 names... so what?
    theres 7 realms... ofc someone will have your nick on other realm (if it's not something unusulal like Ilovedickinmymouthasdf)

3. im not talking about people who make 20-30 characters, im talking about people who make hundreds and in next days more, simply just to use names which they not going even to play.

p.s none of my 15 character names are available, must be dumb to think it's coincidence and nothing nasty going on.
    Edited: September 25, 2015

4. Or maybe you just use real common names?
    Or maybe you were using names other people didn't manage to get on other servers?
    Or maybe they saw the name, liked it, and decided to use it on Lordaeron?

Names don't "belong" to anyone besides the person who gets it first.

5. neltharion was running for years without my character names, somehow lordaeron got all my character names in first day.
    smells like copy/paste scrubs.

6. Or maybe you just use real common names?
    Or maybe you were using names other people didn't manage to get on other servers?

Well said.

These posts happen every server launch. I understand the attachment to a name but if it gets taken on a fresh server, you might as well think of it as a blessing. You're on a fresh server ready to start a fresh WoW adventure and someone took "your" identity from another server. Now's your chance to make a new name for yourself as I and many others have to do. Your bitterness will only last a few weeks at most then you'll adjust. Try to focus on the fresh aspect instead of lingering in the past.

7. Or maybe you just use real common names?

That last reason is bull****. Players who use unique names, have been on these servers for years, have a reputation among players, should be respected enough to allow us to reserve our names and no just chalked up to " name stealing is okay".

For example; I have played with Striderman for years on Lordaeron and Deathwing, do you think its really acceptable someone steals his name just because they can? They aren't stealing names but reputation and identities. They do it with malicious intent.

I know this isn't fact because when moltdown happened someone stole his name, and it was recovered for him.

However if you're complaining about names like Rick and Broxxigar you're just dumb; but intellectual property should be respected.
    Having the a unique name across all of your servers, then when new server launches its just stolen, someone claims our identity?
    Definitely not acceptable. 8,000 names being claimed in 1 hour is ridiculous, allowing name hording is ridiculous. Condoning players stealing other players names in mass is ridiculous.

I know for a fact you GMs claim names previous to launch; so this is a very hypocritical statement to say names don't belong to anyone, first come first serve. If that was the case, then how about GMs not reserve their names next time a server launches? Yes you have reputations too you don't want someone claiming.
    Edited: September 25, 2015

8. That last reason is bull****. Players who use unique names, have been on these servers for years, have a reputation among players, should be respected enough to allow us to reserve our names and no just chalked up to " name stealing is okay".

For example; I have played with Striderman for years on Lordaeron and Deathwing, do you think its really acceptable someone steals his name just because they can? They aren't stealing names but reputation and identities. They do it with malicious intent.

I know this isn't fact because when moltdown happened someone stole his name, and it was recovered for him.

However if you're complaining about names like Rick and Broxxigar you're just dumb; but intellectual property should be respected.
    Having the a unique name across all of your servers, then when new server launches its just stolen, someone claims our identity?
    Definitely not acceptable. 8,000 names being claimed in 1 hour is ridiculous, allowing name hording is ridiculous. Condoning players stealing other players names in mass is ridiculous.
    I do find people going to that extreme by helping claim 8,000 a bit silly, but it isn't the same server.

Pick any "famous" WoW streamer, let's say his name is "George" and his char's name is "Bob" and assume they play on "Blackrock".
    I really enjoy watching "George" and his awesomeness so I decide to make my char's name "Bob" on "Deathwing".
    Does that mean if "George" wants to switch from "Blackrock" to "Deathwing" I have to give up my character name which happens to have the same name as his on "Blackrock"? No, that's absolutely silly. He doesn't AT ALL have a claim on the character name I made on "Deathwing". Nor should he for that matter.

It's the same concept here. Yes, hoarding names for the sake of hoarding is rather silly, but I don't recall seeing a policy against it. You can try to make moral accusations and arguments, but unless you send them to the feedback forums, they will largely fall on deaf staff ears/eyes.

This can happen even on Retail, but because there is no monthly fee it happens on a larger scale + most names are already taken anyway.

You lost the race to get the name you wanted because some people exploited a loophole. Deal with it and start fresh with a new name. I assume that you will tell anybody that means anything to you in the WoW universe that you changed your name. And you will get over it. It's not so much the character's name, but the experience you share with whoever is playing that character. Do try to enjoy this fresh start.

9. I'd probably be a little annoyed if someone took Psyentific, but I could make a variant on it fairly easily. Cry some more.

10. I know for a fact you GMs claim names previous to launch; so this is a very hypocritical statement to say names don't belong to anyone, first come first serve. If that was the case, then how about GMs not reserve their names next time a server launches? Yes you have reputations too you don't want someone claiming.
    We work here. Feel free to always refuse any and all perks relative to your job whatsoever, even if it's taking free leftover food that would go to the trash.
    Because you're not a hypocrite, are you?

11. I do find people going to that extreme by helping claim 8,000 a bit silly, but it isn't the same server.

Pick any "famous" WoW streamer, let's say his name is "George" and his char's name is "Bob" and assume they play on "Blackrock".
    I really enjoy watching "George" and his awesomeness so I decide to make my char's name "Bob" on "Deathwing".
    Does that mean if "George" wants to switch from "Blackrock" to "Deathwing" I have to give up my character name which happens to have the same name as his on "Blackrock"? No, that's absolutely silly. He doesn't AT ALL have a claim on the character name I made on "Deathwing". Nor should he for that matter.

It's the same concept here. Yes, hoarding names for the sake of hoarding is rather silly, but I don't recall seeing a policy against it. You can try to make moral accusations and arguments, but unless you send them to the feedback forums, they will largely fall on deaf staff ears/eyes.

This can happen even on Retail, but because there is no monthly fee it happens on a larger scale + most names are already taken anyway.

You lost the race to get the name you wanted because some people exploited a loophole. Deal with it and start fresh with a new name. I assume that you will tell anybody that means anything to you in the WoW universe that you changed your name. And you will get over it. It's not so much the character's name, but the experience you share with whoever is playing that character. Do try to enjoy this fresh start.
    That's opposite of what I'm saying but if for example Geroge has the name Bob on EVERY server Molten has, when they launch a new server Geroge should get his name. I didn't lose any names, my names are unique and lore/Rp. That makes it personal. To write books worth of information on your character, to spend time and money on development.

It's like copyright. An example of what I'm saying is; if I had the name Bob on Deathwimg, Ragnaros, Frostwolf, Warsong, ect, if I have been on this server for 4+ years, developed a reputation players know me by, I should be entitled to, well MY title. Only in the sense of unique names. If you have Guldan on every server, I wouldn't say you are entitled to a reservation, but if its a role play name, you created, are well known by, completely unique and conjured from your own thoughts, you deserve the right to claim your creation.

12. My nickname was stolen too!!!! Call the internet police!

13. That's opposite of what I'm saying but if for example Geroge has the name Bob on EVERY server Molten has, when they launch a new server Geroge should get his name. I didn't lose any names, my names are unique and lore/Rp. That makes it personal. To write books worth of information on your character, to spend time and money on development.

It's like copyright. An example of what I'm saying is; if I had the name Bob on Deathwimg, Ragnaros, Frostwolf, Warsong, ect, if I have been on this server for 4+ years, developed a reputation players know me by, I should be entitled to, well MY title. Only in the sense of unique names. If you have Guldan on every server, I wouldn't say you are entitled to a reservation, but if its a role play name, you created, are well known by, completely unique and conjured from your own thoughts, you deserve the right to claim your creation.
    First off, going back to the GM name claim.. that's technically a mandatory thing to do as the #1 preventive measure for one of the highest rules of any corporation, company, staff. (loosely quoted) "Do not impersonate a GM or any member of the staff." On a "fresh" server they claim their names to make it nearly impossible for anyone to impersonate the staff. IF they add new GM's to existing servers, they are forced to come up with a unique name in game. They do not force people out of a name for the sole purpose of a GM thinking it will be a cool name to go by.

Moving on to George..

Glad you mentioned this. What you think is your intellectual property "created" on character creation is NOT your intellectual property. In one of the "I Accept/Agree" forms they make you click through when you create an account is one that clearly states any account or character on "Warmane" is their property. They "can" do with it what they please. You are entitled to nothing but what they allow you to do with the account you made and the characters you create.

If you can't hold up the argument in a legal court declaring the character name to be yours and yours alone, then it is nothing like copyright. The amount of characters you have all named the same on however many realms you have them on does not make a difference to anything I've said in this post or the previous one of mine.

I feel for your loss, just remember the good memories of that char name and either go back to the server you made them on, or enjoy the fresh start on Lordaeron.

Cheers to many more good memories ;)

14. It should be noted that we will be conducting clean-ups on Lordaeron every 3 to 6 months to characters below level 10. This is, of course, only a current approximation of how we want to handle things, but we certainly do not want a hoarding of character names.

15. It should be noted that we will be conducting clean-ups on Lordaeron every 3 to 6 months to characters below level 10. This is, of course, only a current approximation of how we want to handle things, but we certainly do not want a hoarding of character names.
    Sounds like a solid idea. Hopefully people hoarding don't read this ^_^ as it is "easy" to get to level 11. :)

123 Last