1. What Rogue spec?

~ Hey guys.
    I was wondering what rogue spec i should go with, i dont have that much experience with rogues, heh.
    Anyways, i would like to know what rogue spec is best to level to 80 the fastest and head for PvP, im gearing up after 80 that is.
    So basically if i run it down;
    - Level to 80 as fast as possible
    - Gear up
    (availble for recommendations, as said before, not much experience with rogues, by this i mean recommendations of what kind of gear i should have)
    - Head straight for PvP when done with above.

2. Leveling to 80, Combat is the best spec I believe.
    As for gearing, I'd suggest going with PVE raiding with a combat spec to get PVE offparts with arp & crit. You can also do a minimum of 10 arena games each week while gearing to start saving up points for your wrathful gear.
    For PVP, subtlety is the best in general.
    Good luck with your rogue! =]

3. Forget what weep said..Look here..Sub spec to level up is the easiest 2 kill mobs no aggro because of good stealth and easy complete delivery quests because of stealth again+you kill everyclass you ll meet till 80 unless its a good protwar..now if u want to play combat and pvp with mobs you are free to do it and listen to weep..At level 80 atm we are few in the server so basicly ull take all the daggers from raids,so you go assasination spec for pve at level80 stuck AP and haste GG,take some offparts with arp if u are lucky and make a sub spec for pvp ! there it goes your guide :) hope i ve helped u a bit

4. Well, sublety is painfully slow for killing mobs, combat has 2-3 mobs killed before sublety finishes one. Its a good option if you want to pvp while leveling though.

5. - level to 80 as quickly as possible - Combat. Subtlety is VERY slow regardless of the speed with which it can kill a single mob, Assassination is meh - for both specs any more than 2 mobs and you're dead or you'll have to use half of your cooldowns. Combat can easily fight 2 mobs at a time and it will wreck 3-4 mobs with cooldowns. The problem is that if you don't know what you're doing, you'll very likely die in outdoor PvP.

- gear up - Assassination. With the 3.3.x talents, it will outperform Combat immensely at low gear (just like Frost DKs will beat the crap out of Unholy).

- PvP - either Assa or Sub, both are viable with Sub being considered the better choice for high end PvP.

6. - Level as combat, it is the fastest way and you can always keep it as PvE spec later on and dual spec for PvP.

- When gearing up focus on getting hit capped (soft cap, not hard cap) as fast as possible, since there is nothing more deadly than missing in PvP.

-In regards to PvP, I used to play back in wotlk up to ToC, quit before ICC, and back then all the hype was a hybrid rogue spec along the lines of this: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#f0ecoezsVrRczZ0xV0gZebc . Sub is by no means a bad PvP spec, and I played sub myself in PvP, due to world PvP/battlegrounds. If you are looking for an arena spec, the mutilate hybrid spec I linked to there is one of the easiest to get accustomed to and one that produces great results. Also, pair up with a frost mage for arenas.

7. @Gyro The spec you're linking is quite weird and I've never seen it in my life...

The most popular spec pre-ToC was 41/5/25 - this was the standard Muti-Prep spec which used Eviscerate as a finisher. Then after they changed Deadly Poison the spec changed too and dipped into Master Poisoner for utilizing Envenom instead of Eviscerate.

8. @taralej That is quite odd, because in my guild most of the rogues used a spec that went semi-deep into combat for improved kick, we were not a pvp guild though and the best rated rogue only 2k rating in 3v3. My focus was mainly on PvE, so I just remember my guildmates debating this type of hybrid spec a lot. It might also have something to do with the refusal to play a "cookie cutter" spec as we used to call the Muti-Prep spec. I would recommend you to try it out, I cannot remember the exact point placement in assassination, but I am quite sure of how they were placed in sub and combat. (I just recently got back to wow when I heard about Lord being launched, so my memory is a bit rusty)

9. combat has always been better then assassination for PvE content on wotlk warmane realms for pvp sub is pretty epic in the hands of someone skilled

10. I was asking the same question when I was a fresh level 80 rogue
    I went through countless topics, discussions, tutorials, even asked people in-game that I randomly met in Dalaran or pugs. The answer was always the same: combat if you want more dps, assassination if you trully like playing it, atleast in PvE.
    All are viable, all can be used. You just need to know how to play, and get gears.
    I'm currently an assassination rogue with combat as off-spec, I suggest you do the same. Take both specs (mutilate and subt for pvp) and see which one you like most, but it will take you some time to gear: I think it's worth it.
    My main spec, assassination, was doing crap no matter how many haste potions, elixirs and gems I put in it, and I was doing everything right, until I got higher gear. If you trully want to play it, do it.

For PvP, assassination rogue is that in-between, like in PvE, however some people call it a more "tanky" spec. I think it really depends on preference, some like subtlety, some like mutilate. A lot of people like to say that mutilate rogues are more for beginners, because subtlety has more mobility in PvP fights e.g. shadowstep, massive ambush crits during stun-lock, etc., therefore it requires more reflexes and getting used to.

I think it is a matter of preference, but you could choose out to try both specs for different combat scenarios like I mentioned before: subtlety for fighting against rogues and casters, mutilate for fighting against platers and similar; however this is arguable and my own opinion.
    Edited: October 31, 2015

11. I was asking the same question when I was a fresh level 80 rogue
    I went through countless topics, discussions, tutorials, even asked people in-game that I randomly met in Dalaran or pugs. The answer was always the same: combat if you want more dps, assassination if you trully like playing it, atleast in PvE.
    All are viable, all can be used. You just need to know how to play, and get gears.
    I'm currently an assassination rogue with combat as off-spec, I suggest you do the same. Take both specs (mutilate and subt for pvp) and see which one you like most, but it will take you some time to gear: I think it's worth it.
    My main spec, assassination, was doing crap no matter how many haste potions, elixirs and gems I put in it, and I was doing everything right, until I got higher gear. If you trully want to play it, do it.

For PvP, assassination rogue is that in-between, like in PvE, however some people call it a more "tanky" spec. I think it really depends on preference, some like subtlety, some like mutilate. A lot of people like to say that mutilate rogues are more for beginners, because subtlety has more mobility in PvP fights e.g. shadowstep, massive ambush crits during stun-lock, etc., therefore it requires more reflexes and getting used to.

I think it is a matter of preference, but you could choose out to try both specs for different combat scenarios like I mentioned before: subtlety for fighting against rogues and casters, mutilate for fighting against platers and similar; however this is arguable and my own opinion.
    I feel that's accurate.

12. Combat is the spec to level if you want to get to 80 the fastest.

13. Hi,
    is hack and slash bug?
    since I play human and confuse between using sword or mace instead.

i look at bug tracker and it said "dismissed", does it mean HnS is OK?
    also, killing spree reported as bug for moving target at bug tracker.
    Bug tracker is great tools but since only few people review/confirmed, its still not clear for me.

thanks

14. I was reading the rest of the comments and I just don't know if the other rogues even tried sub as leveling spec. In my opinios you should level as you favourite spec for late game, not change it every 20 lvls because of the new weapon or ability that you got. I'm talking about starting your rogue, not full gear with 1k resil. But out of all the specs my favorite for everything except raids is sub.

http://rpgworld.altervista.org/335/r...21350135201251

While leveling as a sub rogue I used to kill almost all mobs or players in a single Ambush and one Eviscerate. With full pvp spec that I used for leveling, both quests and dungeons, bgs and world pvp i had over 60% crit change on ambush before lv 30 and I basically started every fight with my enemy at half life. Even paladins or other tanks had to use def cds in the first 3 seconds to survive. It really depends what you want to do with your rogue. If you want to use stealth on every mob, kill them in 2 hits and have a lot of escape moves then go sub also combined with nelf for 3rd vanish or with the dwarf racial to get a second dot remover. I could also sneak behind any mob and pick their pockets to double my gold income and lockpick all the boxes that i stole from them. I had all my bags full in every dungeon before even getting to the first boss and had to figure out which is the least valuable thrash to throw away. Got the 100g looted achievement at about lv 50 and never had any problems with buying my mount or leveling my professions while leveling. You can basicly make this however you want, bleeds, burst, survival, combo builder etc. You just need to decide what you want more.

http://rpgworld.altervista.org/335/r...00000000000000

If you want to use lots of abilities without having to stealth then go combat. For pvp the imp kick, sprint and thrown are useful against casters and very unexpected even for experienced enemies. Ever happened to you that a mage was kiting you and you had nothing to do but to look at him casting his frostbolt without you being able to use your combo points on him? When i interupt mages with deadly thrown they just stay there not knowing what happened. Also with lots of talents that give you extra dodge, parry, reduced cd on evasion, sprint and cos and some abilities like riposte and ghostly strike you should really be able to fight anything face to face. Platers like to attack other melees because of their advantage from armor, but when that happens you can use dismantle, ghostly strike/riposte/gouge, expose armor and then killing spree and they will probably be dead. This spec really shines when you have lots of arpen, the closest to 100%, the better.

If you want to not care about armor and get huge dmg not affected by it then use assa. Poisons and bleeds are not affected by armor so if you choose a muti+prep poison bleeder spec you can get full attack power and make every platers armor completely useless. Just get instant, deadly or wound poison and start with garrote and finish with rupture, then run away while they are dying from your dots. Also use glyph of garrote and try to always put both your bleeds together with your poisons on your enemy and they will not be able to do anything, just interupt if they try to heal and they will be left helpless. Never use arpen on assa specs, always get full attack power. All your dots and poisons get better with ap and except those, mutilate is your only ability that you should only use for combo points. If you want more control you can skip the bleeds and use some ccs instead like imp gouge and kick, but i prefer the pure dmg spec with prep.

15. I was reading the rest of the comments and I just don't know if the other rogues even tried sub as leveling spec. In my opinios you should level as you favourite spec for late game, not change it every 20 lvls because of the new weapon or ability that you got. I'm talking about starting your rogue, not full gear with 1k resil. But out of all the specs my favorite for everything except raids is sub.

http://rpgworld.altervista.org/335/r...21350135201251

While leveling as a sub rogue I used to kill almost all mobs or players in a single Ambush and one Eviscerate. With full pvp spec that I used for leveling, both quests and dungeons, bgs and world pvp i had over 60% crit change on ambush before lv 30 and I basically started every fight with my enemy at half life. Even paladins or other tanks had to use def cds in the first 3 seconds to survive. It really depends what you want to do with your rogue. If you want to use stealth on every mob, kill them in 2 hits and have a lot of escape moves then go sub also combined with nelf for 3rd vanish or with the dwarf racial to get a second dot remover. I could also sneak behind any mob and pick their pockets to double my gold income and lockpick all the boxes that i stole from them. I had all my bags full in every dungeon before even getting to the first boss and had to figure out which is the least valuable thrash to throw away. Got the 100g looted achievement at about lv 50 and never had any problems with buying my mount or leveling my professions while leveling. You can basicly make this however you want, bleeds, burst, survival, combo builder etc. You just need to decide what you want more.

If you want to use lots of abilities without having to stealth then go combat. For pvp the imp kick, sprint and thrown are useful against casters and very unexpected even for experienced enemies. Ever happened to you that a mage was kiting you and you had nothing to do but to look at him casting his frostbolt without you being able to use your combo points on him? When i interupt mages with deadly thrown they just stay there not knowing what happened. Also with lots of talents that give you extra dodge, parry, reduced cd on evasion, sprint and cos and some abilities like riposte and ghostly strike you should really be able to fight anything face to face. Platers like to attack other melees because of their advantage from armor, but when that happens you can use dismantle, ghostly strike/riposte/gouge, expose armor and then killing spree and they will probably be dead. This spec really shines when you have lots of arpen, the closest to 100%, the better.

If you want to not care about armor and get huge dmg not affected by it then use assa. Poisons and bleeds are not affected by armor so if you choose a muti+prep poison bleeder spec you can get full attack power and make every platers armor completely useless. Just get instant, deadly or wound poison and start with garrote and finish with rupture, then run away while they are dying from your dots. Also use glyph of garrote and try to always put both your bleeds together with your poisons on your enemy and they will not be able to do anything, just interupt if they try to heal and they will be left helpless. Never use arpen on assa specs, always get full attack power. All your dots and poisons get better with ap and except those, mutilate is your only ability that you should only use for combo points. If you want more control you can skip the bleeds and use some ccs instead like imp gouge and kick, but i prefer the pure dmg spec with prep.
    any rogue pvp spec without improved gouge is garbage and pple who play with those specs will have painfull death and go to hell after. i confirm this, writing from a river of blood