1. Whether an item costs 10g now in 2015, or 10g in 2016, or 10g in 2020, there's still the fact that money becomes less and less valuable for you the longer you keep playing, just because you need less and less gold to cover your character's fixed expenses. Lowbies will always be in a disadvantage against a veteran player, no matter what is being done to drain gold. That is because not only gold accumulates, but also:
    - materials
    - equipment
    - character development
    - raid progression etc.

And these can not be reduced by 50% every 6 months, or can they ???

If the goal is (roughly) static prices then:
    - character trade and mailing items/gold should be disabled, and
    - automatic AH prices should SOMEHOW be set for each item (i.d.k. how) with buyout disabled
    That's like w*t*f for most players.

Nothing else will prevent inflation. Or we should turn to communism where high levels help the lowbies for free :D

2. Or we should turn to communism where high levels help the lowbies for free :D
    You got it, thats it. Ok close the thread we reinvented the solution communism it will be thats the best so far :D

3. like i said those numbers i made all fully hardcore and a bit insane - but that is just example.
    i see no problem for make it even 5k safe gold on lvl 80.
    but on other hand 10g on lvl 1-20 seems be fair enough and this i would like not to change

4. like i said those numbers i made all fully hardcore and a bit insane - but that is just example.
    i see no problem for make it even 5k safe gold on lvl 80.
    but on other hand 10g on lvl 1-20 seems be fair enough and this i would like not to change
    I think your suggestion is pretty good, even though the numbers might not be on point. The overall framework is nice, even though these hardcore AH-traders might hate it. However, it's pretty obvious that such measures isn't necessary unless the inflation is running riot. Until that happens I see no reason to touch what isn't broken.

5. One more thing:

Being able to sell a stack of Copper bars for 50g in the AH is way better for lowbies, than vendoring it.

6. My number of 0.3% drain is based on the previous proposals of -50% drain every 6 months, and with 0.3% per day in 6 months if we take for example 200 000 gold account that is left untouched for 6 months it will be squished to 116455 gold which is close to 50% and it is not too much neither too little in my opinion

But you are talking like a real world rich guy who wants less taxes for the rich and more for the poor (which is unfair and illogical to say the least) this is all i am going to say for your numbers...
    Except this isn't your paycheck but an ingame currency that some of us with real life things taking up 60% of our day earn.

The purpose of lower % drain is simply to reduce the impact it'll have when you have more gold. Would it make sense to lose 200g out of every 10k you have just cause you saved up for it? Doesn't that seem like a lot to you?
    That would send the whole economy into chaos.

Have to start off small and test it out.

7. If you`re doing a gold drain, you better drain everyone and everyguild by the same ratio.
    Otherwise you`re just asking for smart people to circumvent that, at which point you might as well not golddrain at all.

8. Gold drain will have unprecedented consequences. I won't go into it too much because I do not want to help anyone at a cost to myself, but us AH whores are not stupid (and contrary to what someone said, an economics degrees will not help much here. Far more use is an understanding of game gold flow, how people tend to behave in games, good game knowledge, a solid grasp of logic, patience and the ability to keep our mouths shut about our strategies.)

However, if the aim of gold drain is to help low levels then it is counter productive as they are the ones who get the most benefit from a slightly inflated server, sure they might not find it easy to buy certain epics and rares but they can run dungeons for (often superior) bops and cash in selling mid game mats and high demand twink BoEs, making their journey far easier.

The only things which will be out of reach to them are late game, high demand BoEs... but those will be out of reach for them no matter the gold situation.

Though I initially disliked the idea, I have come to see ways the more patient amongst us could benefit a great deal from a gold drain.

I would go with 50% static gold drain, thank you.
    Edited: October 21, 2015

9. Quite true :)

The dreadful fear of a working AH that terrorizes the poor hearts is the illusion that everything put on the AH immediately sells for just as much as it has been listed for.

10. Honestly can't say I agree with a 50% drain in any way. Absolutely not.

Imagine what it does on the day of the drain, chaos for the value of everything.

I've put together a few suggestions to have 1 (in my opinion) good start to a working inflation deflator :D

There is a 3k "SAFE" zone where you don't get any drain.
    After 3k, you get a static drain PER DAY on the TOTAL gold, not excess over 3k.

Rate: 0.05% ( SUM x 0.0005 ).
    This equates an annual drain of 18.25% (or 36.5% if rate is at 0.1% per day)
    ///////////Just to note, reason I've made this low rate is simply because not everyone plays every day. Imagine if you have to take a break for 2 months due to whatever reason and you come back and half your gold is gone. You weren't there during that time to earn it back.. So it's in the interest of fairness.

Rate can be changed based on as an example the results after 6months or so with a variable of 0.03%-0.1%

Q: How much do I lose if I have 10k gold?
    A: Day 1 - 5g, Day 2 - 4.99g etc. It'll always be based on (CURRENT AMOUNT * 0.0005)

Q: How does this affect Alts?
    A: Each alt will have their own 3k safe cap. If I remember right, you can have 10 chars? So 30k gold is PLENTY to have if inflation is kept under control.

Q: What about AH Junkies (like myself)
    A: Well the more you earn, the more taxes you pay so same here. If you have 100k gold, you lose 50g per day, 1mil gold, 500g per day.

Would love to get some dev feedback about this :)
    Edited: October 22, 2015

11. Anything that involves hoarding gold over alts won't work, simply because [most] people have at least 2 accounts.
    This can be 'fixed' with simple methods like :
    -Put a gold limit across accounts [let's say 100k per account]. and the gold drain should happen once in 2-3 months, 6 months is a really big time window.
    -Make an level 80 requirement/Achievement requirement in order to send gold over ur accounts, if you do this you should also limit the access to AH vendors because they can just transfer the gold through the Neutral AH, yeah they'll lose some but it'll be minimal considering you have over 100k, along with the X months old.

-Lottery? The bigger part of the community doesn't care about it.
    -% drain of ur gold? Simply spread the gold on ur alts.
    -Custom vendor for goodies? - They were against custom stuff since... forever?

The loss will be minimal during the TBC content, but once Wotlk is released you can get a very nice chunk of gold on daily basis.

12. In all honesty, I do not understand the point of this topic. I've been thinking about it, maybe I'm missing something. In my opinion there is absolutely no need for Warmane to try to control the inflation levels on the server. Here is why:

First of all, I do understand that inflation happens on a WoW server, it's the natural consequence of the fact that TIME spent in game by players is directly transformed into gold (by quest rewards and killing mobs). This is just the way Blizzard created the game, it happens on retail and it happens here.
    What should be noted here is that, in the same way as on retail, the inflation will happen VERY slowly when compared to other Warmane realms with higher rates. This is 1x, which means the lowest possible gold drops/rewards and item drops are in effect. In my opinion this type of inflation is irrelevant, on retail you can say that the inflation became too high only in MoP, before that it was relatively decent.

Secondly, "trading 1,000 gold from Deathwing for 1 gold on Lordaeron" - how is this inflation exactly? I just can't wrap my head around it. No extra money is created on Lordaeron from outside sources - that 1 gold that is traded for something external (deathwing gold) is still generated on Lordaeron BY NATURAL MEANS. Why does it matter that I give someone 10k Deathwing gold for 1 Lordaeron gold? I am not bringing 1 extra gold on Lordaeron, and so I am not adding to inflation, because that 1 gold was already on the server, it just changed hands.

Thirdly, it surprises me that the staff is considering this at all, Blizzard never manipulated the economy like this in older expansions as there wasn't really any need for it, my personal opinion is that this will be extra work for something that is not only non-blizzlike, but is completely unnecessary. I agree that a lottery-type system couldn't hurt, but flat-out reducing the gold of the players? What happens with the thousands of listed auctions present in the AH at any given moment? Will they all need to be taken down and reposted because suddenly the value of gold just doubled, and no one can afford the old prices anymore?

I don't think inflation will be NEARLY as bad as everyone seems to think. The gold income from questing and killing mobs is not that great while leveling, when you consider how much you have to spend on skills, mounts and possibly gear. You can argue that once you're max level, you get a steady income of gold from daily quests (which isn't all that much in my opinion), but this inflation will develop slowly and is, in essence, unavoidable - it is simply the nature of the 'money' in a wowserver-type environment, where gold is created from scratch.

My $0.02

Cheers
    Edited: October 22, 2015

13. You're talking about gold drain and reducing inflaction when there are some guilds in the game (TAKE A LOOK TO "IS A COOKIE") with BILLIONS of gold in the bank. You're ridicolous. Really. "Lordaeron best hardcore server" KAPPA

14. In all honesty, I do not understand the point of this topic. I've been thinking about it, maybe I'm missing something. In my opinion there is absolutely no need for Warmane to try to control the inflation levels on the server. Here is why:

First of all, I do understand that inflation happens on a WoW server, it's the natural consequence of the fact that TIME spent in game by players is directly transformed into gold (by quest rewards and killing mobs). This is just the way Blizzard created the game, it happens on retail and it happens here.
    What should be noted here is that, in the same way as on retail, the inflation will happen VERY slowly when compared to other Warmane realms with higher rates. This is 1x, which means the lowest possible gold drops/rewards and item drops are in effect. In my opinion this type of inflation is irrelevant, on retail you can say that the inflation became too high only in MoP, before that it was relatively decent.

Secondly, "trading 1,000 gold from Deathwing for 1 gold on Lordaeron" - how is this inflation exactly? I just can't wrap my head around it. No extra money is created on Lordaeron from outside sources - that 1 gold that is traded for something external (deathwing gold) is still generated on Lordaeron BY NATURAL MEANS. Why does it matter that I give someone 10k Deathwing gold for 1 Lordaeron gold? I am not bringing 1 extra gold on Lordaeron, and so I am not adding to inflation, because that 1 gold was already on the server, it just changed hands.

Thirdly, it surprises me that the staff is considering this at all, Blizzard never manipulated the economy like this in older expansions as there wasn't really any need for it, my personal opinion is that this will be extra work for something that is not only non-blizzlike, but is completely unnecessary. I agree that a lottery-type system couldn't hurt, but flat-out reducing the gold of the players? What happens with the thousands of listed auctions present in the AH at any given moment? Will they all need to be taken down and reposted because suddenly the value of gold just doubled, and no one can afford the old prices anymore?

I don't think inflation will be NEARLY as bad as everyone seems to think. The gold income from questing and killing mobs is not that great while leveling, when you consider how much you have to spend on skills, mounts and possibly gear. You can argue that once you're max level, you get a steady income of gold from daily quests (which isn't all that much in my opinion), but this inflation will develop slowly and is, in essence, unavoidable - it is simply the nature of the 'money' in a wowserver-type environment, where gold is created from scratch.

My $0.02

Cheers
    Normally I'd agree with most of what you said there.
    There's a few things to note though:

This isn't retail
    There's no "progression" after 3.3.5a. After we reach the endgame, there's no more expenses on skills, new items, more gold drains that Blizzard implemented in later expansions.
    So if you think longterm, after 1-2 years, the server is going to have Silk Cloth stacks for 30g a stack.
    With expansion progression and gold deflation on Retail, they costed what, 3-5g?

Another thing to note on retail is the whole Cross-realm situation. I'm sure there's measures in place to combine AH of weaker economies with stronger economies to add some sort of balance to each realm.
    Long story short, this isn't retail so we can't expect the economy to be the same.

15. Hi to everyone. So reading this topic for few days now. For my personal view this gold drain is terrible. It will hurt people like me. Who keeps his gold at some point just in case of some unexpected expenses, person who farms up stuff and make it by myself for raids. Flasks/food/scrolls and etc. doing as part of game play preparing for raiding and stuff.
    About that longterm silk cloth cost of 30g. Prices are up already i will give you exsample. as JC/minner myself. Silver ore/bar prices at few days of server start was 1.5-3 silvers per ore and atm cheapest silver ore in Horde ah is 30 silvers. its already 10-20 times more then it was and it only because at lower zones there is less people already less farmers so less supply. Later in game there will be less and less people in low level zones farming stuff so if you demand some materials you will have to overpay to these few farmers or like me farm yourself.
    Supply and demand is big factor in price. Players creating prices because of greed they want more and more for same stuff. People see in AH someone placed stack of iron for 10 gold guess what majority of people will think why i cant sell it for 9.99g thats why they create tabs of overpriced stuff. While someone who actually understand value of item puts them in ah and gets buyout faster and can spend earned money to make new money.
    I don't see harm of having lots of gold on these players who play AH. Yes they can manipulate some of tabs of AH. But smart people will not overpay for stuff and get them by themselfs only lazy people will have to spend some extra for some stuff. But its part of the game. Someone farms stuff, some plays pvp, some pve some all of game aspects. Why to try to control game and not let game run as Blizzard created.

First ... 56789 ... Last