1. This isn't retail
    There's no "progression" after 3.3.5a. After we reach the endgame, there's no more expenses on skills, new items, more gold drains that Blizzard implemented in later expansions.
    So if you think longterm, after 1-2 years, the server is going to have Silk Cloth stacks for 30g a stack.
    With expansion progression and gold deflation on Retail, they costed what, 3-5g?
    Absolutely true, this is the actual "problem" with inflation. Although it is not really a problem - but it's just inevitable.

Sadly everyone identifies inflation with gold, which is not the case.

In other games where gold was just as useless people used to trade with, uhmmm, runes :) We'll trade with primordials then. Or sticks and stones.

Progress in any game without releasing new content leads to inflation. Inflation in materials acquired, inflation in character development (call it achievements), inflation in the average Joe's equipment. You can even call "inflation" the amassing of guilds and teams and all kinds of metagame and knowledge if you wish.

So the "progressive" state of Lordaeron (for as long as it lasts) will counter the inflation in the same way that it worked (quite fine) for retail servers. But it will last - what - some half a year or so? Then at the moment the last patch is released and stabilized (probably WotLK for now, who knows), there will be inflation no matter what drains are implemented.

Just make your alts quickly and become self-sufficient, nothing else you need to do :)

Spoiler: Show

I do agree there has to be some kind of a gold sink, but not simply draining gold from players. Character gold cap is also not an effective counter because most of the people I know have, let's say, 5-6 characters on 2-3 accounts, but there may be more.

One more thing to note: WoW is (like almost all MMORPGs) a content based came.

Blizz, however, releases an expansion every 1-2-3 years, where the problems with inflation (a.k.a. amassing vast amounts of resources / equipment / gold) is dealt with naturally. Almost all of the materials or items from the outdated "old" content become just a means of leveling. The newly introduced prices of items are in sync with the expectations of a current pre-expansion endgame character.

(As, for example, entering Northrend for the first time and obtaining a few quest rewards grants the player a set of equipment, and that set is far superior than most of the dungeon sets or even raid sets pre-WotLK. Moving on to Cataclysm, a WotLK endgame geared raider finds simple quest rewards that outweigh his hard earned raid sets in performance, etc. TBC, MoP, WoD are no exception.)

So inflation influences the content. Therefore, inflation is countered by new content.

And that is irrelevant for a realm that will (hopefully) keep being WotLK realm for as long as it has players to play it. So AH prices will grow anyway, and that is a result of the realm being played. The longer the average player stays and plays in the same realm, the higher the inflation will be.

TL:DR:

Inflation also means players obtaining better gear, not just gold. Increasing requirements for joining a raid or a guild are also a kind of inflation. The better the average player becomes, the higher the inflation.

2. The purpose of lower % drain is simply to reduce the impact it'll have when you have more gold. .
    Wise words. On the evidence of this wisdom, we should nominate you to Chairman of the Federal Reserve of Lordaeron!

It's funny how most us in reality are probably left'ish in the way we want income/fortunes to be taxed, but ingame we are semi-extremist rightwing when equalising measured are even considered.

3. So the "progressive" state of Lordaeron (for as long as it lasts) will counter the inflation in the same way that it worked (quite fine) for retail servers. But it will last - what - some half a year or so? Then at the moment the last patch is released and stabilized (probably WotLK for now, who knows), there will be inflation no matter what drains are implemented.

Just make your alts quickly and become self-sufficient, nothing else you need to do :)

Spoiler: Show

As I've stated earlier, I see no reason to fight inflation if there isn't any, but I don't really see any arguments against it either here. If prices get inflated one way or the other, i.e. gold is worth less because of oversupply, then the most effective measure is simply removing it.

4. -% drain of ur gold? Simply spread the gold on ur alts.
    In what universe would 10% of 1000G or 10% of 2 x 500G be any different? It's not like you cut the per centage number in half if you split the gold, it's constant, and you lose the same amount of gold.

5. Yes, either way there *may* be inflation. If gold is being drained people will just start using some other stackable item as currency, for example Primordials or flasks or anything else suitable for that matter that is not being drained ;)

But this will only happen if there's any point where gold becomes obsolete (as in, you can earn enough to repair at max level & trained skills / mounts, etc).

6. Wise words. On the evidence of this wisdom, we should nominate you to Chairman of the Federal Reserve of Lordaeron!

It's funny how most us in reality are probably left'ish in the way we want income/fortunes to be taxed, but ingame we are semi-extremist rightwing when equalising measured are even considered.
    Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments.

A new proposal had been made regarding taxations of gold.

Please review below new post.

Vaipogaming
    -Chairman of the Federal Reserve of Lordaeron

Honestly can't say I agree with a 50% drain in any way. Absolutely not.

Imagine what it does on the day of the drain, chaos for the value of everything.

I've put together a few suggestions to have 1 (in my opinion) good start to a working inflation deflator :D

There is a 3k "SAFE" zone where you don't get any drain.
    After 3k, you get a static drain PER DAY on the TOTAL gold, not excess over 3k.

Rate: 0.05% ( SUM x 0.0005 ).
    This equates an annual drain of 18.25% (or 36.5% if rate is at 0.1% per day)
    ///////////Just to note, reason I've made this low rate is simply because not everyone plays every day. Imagine if you have to take a break for 2 months due to whatever reason and you come back and half your gold is gone. You weren't there during that time to earn it back.. So it's in the interest of fairness.

Rate can be changed based on as an example the results after 6months or so with a variable of 0.03%-0.1%

Q: How much do I lose if I have 10k gold?
    A: Day 1 - 5g, Day 2 - 4.99g etc. It'll always be based on (CURRENT AMOUNT * 0.0005)

Q: How does this affect Alts?
    A: Each alt will have their own 3k safe cap. If I remember right, you can have 10 chars? So 30k gold is PLENTY to have if inflation is kept under control.

Q: What about AH Junkies (like myself)
    A: Well the more you earn, the more taxes you pay so same here. If you have 100k gold, you lose 50g per day, 1mil gold, 500g per day.

Would love to get some dev feedback about this :)
    As a more serious note. It's wrong to drain differently based on gold. The above proposal would effect everyone equally so for example the players who it hurts the most (new players with fresh characters) can get their character started safely without having to worry about the drain until they reach 3k gold (which on x1 gold gain will likely take a month or so)
    Edited: October 24, 2015

7. This will only make players to spread their gold to their alts, they will make tons of lvl 1 characters, possibly new accounts, this will only harm the server and will make AH players unnecessary pain.
    Gold drain can not help the situation simply because our community compared to retail is very small and supply will be limited/prices will be higher than retail no matter what but that doesnt mean it is something bad. If materials are pricey, then damn farm them yourself, sell them and become rich...this help newbies more than anything...where is the problem?

Even if you drain the gold at some point, after few weeks situation will be the same again.

8. I would agree on adding that TCG vendor. It might help draining that gold and keeping that so called economy stable.
    Which it is already.

And about that lottery stuff, I believe it's a nice idea. I just hope the price is not ridiculous and the system legit (:

Peace and great job with the servers.

9. If you want to keep the Eco from being ruined, I'd advise you to either ban multi-boxing or limit it in a way. The biggest downside of multi-boxing is how easily they can farm gold and seeing how you can solo dungeons such as Strat, they can make an absurd amount of it.

Having a lottery sounds like it could be a good solution also.
    The only players I hear complaining about mult-boxing are pvp players because if you are fast enough (and lucky enough for follow to not get fouled up) you might possibly gain an edge. Since humans only have two hands the limitations on even PVP fights are substantial and shouldn't be a big concern. I find the comment about making tons of money via multi-boxing to be absurd. Either that or I have yet to find out how to make that happen after years in which I have sometimes multi-boxed. The main reason I do it is to trade across accounts so I don't clog the mail or have to wait for an hour. This is helpful in developing professsions but the AMOUNT of money is all but unaffected.

The only area that has any merit at all is doing dungeons and the increase in ability is extremely slight since again it is only possible to control one at a time and is often more trouble than it is worth. It is far more advantageous to go with a friend. You will make more individually than you can by solo multi-boxing because multiboxing is inherently slow compared to 2 sets (4) hand at the controls. Warmane seems to have their stats right that it is BOTTING and DUPLICATING not multi-boxing that has the biggest impact on the economy by far.

10. What about static gold drain for characters above a certain level of gold-wealth + tied into a reward system. So you're rewarded for how much $ you had taken away. This removes the issue of players not actually using a lottery, transmog, or whatnot goldsink. It matters that the reward be something players can be proud of having & showing off. Make it a surprise, and people won't want to drain their gold stash and emulate real-world economic tax dodging because they may lose out on something cool.

But REALLY, the focus will be that you'll -want- to show that you paid. These rewards could essentially work the way cardbacks in hearthstone work - they show off what you've done to others in the community, the progress you've made, and your 'status' so to speak. A well designed reward system can do the same thing here. WoW already has a ton of stuff like this ingame, it shouldn't be too hard to make some new community-bolstering Warmane status rewards that players can be proud & happy to have.

If the reward is likeable enough and something players will want to flaunt and show off, that's the kind of thing players want to spend gold on anyway. Elusive rewards. Make it worthwhile & people won't mind that they lost a % of their large sum of gold - if they get a reward that symbolises the gold amount they lost, then there's balance in the world and we'll all get on with our days.

The point is to encourage people to not change their buying behaviour, gold-saving behaviour, and everything. You can juke your gold around or spend it on assets (AH items) before you're taxed, but you should be wanting to be rewarded for your 'gold status' and show it off. If, after tax day, you don't have the item to show that you paid the gold tax, you may feel like the squarest square that ever squared. :P But seriously -- the reward should be something that brings the community together. You should feel REWARDED for having as much gold as you did when the tax happens. Giving players something they can show other players in the community - to show they paid and helped the server stay stable - may be the best way I can think of.

Example:

If you have 50k gold, you pay a % and the reward for that 'bracket' is a certain mount, title, transmog, pet, or other vanity-esque & fun item. Make the reward interesting and likeable enough and people won't mind the gold tax. If you have even MORE gold, you'll get a 'higher up' reward for paying your share. Of course, still cosmetic and purely for fun, but something you can be proud of.

Characters with smaller amounts of gold (the kind you have when levelling 1-60ish) won't be affected. You guys figure out the right gold threshhold.

Of course, players can still move their gold around to other characters to avoid paying the tax (just like in real life, yay! :P), but players like that are going to figure out how to avoid paying unless they're forced to. They'll likely still have an overall high amount of gold per character, unless they're REALLY spreading it thin. At which point - what are you going to do? I'm sure it's trackable on your end if someone's doing that sort of thing, so it becomes a bit more of a specific-case issue for mods to handle.

It's the basic rule of "if you're going to tax the people, you have to give them something in return." Since gold is a commodity that buys ingame items, players will likely not mind if they're taxed but get an ingame item for it. That's what gold buys anyway. Just like being taxed irl & not complaining because you utilize public services and such.

Of course, if done TOO well, it could lead to people farming gold on purpose to get better rewards. Hooey! Whatever you guys choose, just leave the lower and middle class folks alone. :P
    Edited: October 31, 2015

11. Whatever you guys choose, just leave the lower and middle class folks alone. :P
    Hehe :D

Well.. it all depends on the project developers' goal. It has already been stated:

Both of these mechanics are aimed at our efforts to maintain a healthy economy with reasonable gold prices in-game, on Auction House and keeping Lordaeron attractive to new players in future as well as keep realm's inevitable inflation at manageable levels.
    If "reasonable gold prices in-game" means that the Auction House is NOT supposed to be a golden hen - where you can earn money faster and with less effort than anywhere else - then the players have no choice but to gain gold by either:
    ----- 1) questing, and/ or
    ----- 2) looting mobs.

This means pretty much STATIC speed of gold generation by players, depending on:
    ----- 1) the quests they have available to complete, and/ or
    ----- 2) the mobs they have available to loot.

Which puts new players in an obvious disadvantage right away.

Furthermore, it does not guarantee STATIC (reasonable, attractive to new players) prices. Why? Simply because a higher level player can generate much more gold much faster than a lower level player can, if all they can do to earn gold is quest/ loot. It's because they have access to different level of game content.

So the realm will possibly be "attractive to new players" as long as new players are the vast majority of the player base. Which in its turn means - once you're not a "new player" anymore you're not welcome to keep playing (or else the new players won't be the vast majority). So you're not supposed to find the realm attractive as an old player, in order to guarantee that it is attractive to new ones... Not the right way, in my opinion.

But this is pretty much the "lower and middle class folks" argument :D

P.S. Furthermore, don't forget that someone EARNING gold on the AH means someone else LOSING it.

12. Let the market inflate. It doesn't matter. As someone who played on Lordaeron pre-moltdown and was constantly effected by players transferring from Deathwing and Ragnaros with insane amounts of gold and listing items with insane prices, I can say those players are easily ignored and not dealt with. Items and mats are easily farmed by any player and if such an inflation exist it creates a great market for undercutting and selling at discount. This only effects AH junkies, and use your brain, their the only ones hording gold. Normal players don't give a **** about gold, yes its nice to have, but most players know legitimate prices

Basically, the economy can't be ruined unless we let it. If players pay 50g a stack for Runecloth and that becomes the norm, they're very stupid and its their own fault. But if you tell someone to **** off every time they try to sell Frozen Orbs for 500g each, eventually they'll take the hint.

As a summary, you can't control gold-rates and tax the wealthiest money just because you're afraid of inflation. You can't possibly control the market in any aspect considering gold is a randomly generated item from EVERY mob. Forget this idea and leave it up to players intelligence. Are you smart enough to realize a bad deal? If not then expect to get ripped off. Even with an inflated market, original prices exist and can/will be available if you associate with the right people. Stop holdin ppls hands, if someone wants to sell something for +100k and save it for 6months, then **** it, don't take their hard-earned gold because players complain.

As for multiboxing, its ****ing stupid and I'm honestly ashmed Warmane lets it go on within Lordaeron. As someone whose been on the server for 4 years, and played Lordaeron till crash, I've specifically not returned because everytime i log you see 5 multi-boxed shamans stealing mob-spawns and never dying, leveling like its x7.

Lordaeron is a joke server. Its a bunch of morons smashing each other with 3.3.5 talents in PvP and dumbasses multiboxing. Yes, its a hardcore server, a server for the most hardcore losers. Not to mention the newly attracted players who act like they're superior to every cause they noticed one bugged mechanism.

Sorry, their is a lot more to worry about with Lordaeron than taking peoples gold.

13. Vorgaroth, what you said is exactly what the situation is (and probably will keep being for a long time).

Mentioning hardcore, one more thing has come to my mind - why would any new player wothout a clear idea how to make his way through the game join "the most hardcore Wrath of the Lich King realm" as Warmane has been advartising Lordaeron ??!

It has to be called "the most hardcore" for a reason!

Babysitting new players is not hardcore at all.

Moreover, at the expense of punishing the others who play regularly. As a new player I so much prefer to be able to learn Mining, go out at level 10 and mine a stack of Copper Ore and sell it later for 50 gold at the Auction house. Is this a unreasonable and unattractive price for new players? I think not. This will make up for all my skills training and repairs until I reach level 20. By the time I'd be 20, I'd have already gotten my hands on a small fortune.

Small, well yes, small, but it will let me level up easily. Small, but enough for me as a new player. What do I care, as a new player, if someone else has 500k gold, if he provides me with a market - where I sell my cheap low tier stuff for 50g, so that I can carry my own weight?

14. What if you just place a gold cap of 50k per account? From there prevent people from using multiple accounts as a bannable offense.

15. What if you just place a gold cap of 50k per account? From there prevent people from using multiple accounts as a bannable offense.
    Not going to happen as people already have multiple accounts going.

First ... 678910 Last