• Priest 8%
    • Rogue 7%
    • Warlock 6%
    • Warrior 16%
    • Paladin 21%
    • Shaman 7%

Most played race overall: Human 44%
    Most played race at 60: Human 53%
    Good effort, but personally, this should not have a sticky.

Few reasons: you did not create the program.

That means, you don't know how effective it is, its accuracy, or what it determines to describe a "character", or how it achieves its algorithms.

For example, are the characters counted only when they are logged in? What if a character never logs in, but has been created?

What if the person has a character as an alt? Does it determine has one unique character. Does multiple characters per account be classify as one character?

Is there a period of time it has to check? I assume it does not go into the database, so it checks the online players from a certain period. That is, there may be a lot more players/characters, that has not been checked.

Census of classes, so what? What do those statistics say? Within the last 1 week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? These classes/races have logged on?

The amount of ambiguous data makes this difficult to interpret and extrapolate effective data since these algorithms seem unreliable.

This is just a small subset of the problems available with this program. However, a good attempt of 'approximating' the amount of players. Since it's not an official source, and far from accurate, then I disagree with adding a sticky.

A sticky implies it is a good, useful, and accurate source, which you cannot prove how these algorithms work that are effective and accurate to the extent that works as intended. The best data source would be from Warmane's database, which I doubt they would provide.

Hope this helps.
    Baleroc

2. Radvo could probably speak more clearly to you're point but The latest Alliance one was done by me at different hours all last week to come up with the Numbers we have now. Depending on what Radvo decides to do I will delete the data from this census and start a new one to Better portray what the server population statistics are week to week. Hopefully, that will help root out the alts and the people who barely log on.

-Kalexius

3. I'd also like to ask people to post scarcely so that the updates I will post don't get overwhelmed by other posts and are easier to find.
    Please post questions regarding classes pro/cons to their specific forums.

Good effort, but personally, this should not have a sticky.

Few reasons: you did not create the program.

That means, you don't know how effective it is, its accuracy, or what it determines to describe a "character", or how it achieves its algorithms.

For example, are the characters counted only when they are logged in? What if a character never logs in, but has been created?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census
    It records characters active at the time of the census, or, how the term itself implies, characters that can "reply" and be added to the census. I didn't make the program, but I take credit (and offer when it's due) for my work. Warmane didn't make WoW, yet they take credit for their server (their work). Should they admit they do nothing but "use" what they already have?
    If a character doesn't log in, he's not an active member. A bank alt, a name reserved. There is this pop count for that by Edifice in this thread . Why would you be interested in characters that aren't taking part in pvp/pve/leveling though.

What if the person has a character as an alt? Does it determine has one unique character. Does multiple characters per account be classify as one character?
    I'm not interested in how many accounts are active, but how many characters. So if someone logs in their alt, they are registered, as well as their main.

Is there a period of time it has to check? I assume it does not go into the database, so it checks the online players from a certain period. That is, there may be a lot more players/characters, that has not been checked.
    It's on whenever I am on, which is a lot. Check the total number of characters it's seen (17.000)
    Census of classes, so what? What do those statistics say? Within the last 1 week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? These classes/races have logged on?
    Since I've started playing, which is day 1. So what? So you can see what other people requested in 2000 topics, a distribution of classes, least played, most played, etc.

The amount of ambiguous data makes this difficult to interpret and extrapolate effective data since these algorithms seem unreliable.
    Take a seat son, you don't know half of those words. The algorithms are perfectly fine, if you don't trust a second year Computer Science student with experience in 3 OOP, 2 PP and Assembly languages, ask your fellow programmer to check the code.

This is just a small subset of the problems available with this program. However, a good attempt of 'approximating' the amount of players. Since it's not an official source, and far from accurate, then I disagree with adding a sticky.
    There are no problems with the program. You are talking without verifying beforehand (so basically spewing bull****).
    The program is 100% accurate, as it ONLY registers players that have been active at least a few hours since day 1 (even though they may have stopped playing in the mean-time, this is why I plan to do what I'm gonna say below)

A sticky implies it is a good, useful, and accurate source, which you cannot prove how these algorithms work that are effective and accurate to the extent that works as intended. The best data source would be from Warmane's database, which I doubt they would provide.

Hope this helps.
    Baleroc
    It is a good, useful and accurate source. I can prove that the algorithms work as intended. Data from Warmane's database is available here

Your input was useless, thank you for it. Please document yourself and ask before throwing poop and pointing your fingers.

To make sure the data doesn't become obsolete, once a month (or 2 months) I will purge all the data I've collected (making a backup beforehand) and start from 0, meaning there will always be up-to-date data on characters active the past 4-8 weeks.
    Hope this answers some questions,
    Radvo

Q:
    Is this limited by characters active in the last week or so?
    Answered above, will say again just to be clear. It's characters that have been active at least a day since day 1.
    Edited: November 8, 2015

4. Thank you so much for doing this. It really is very useful! <3

5. Maybe it's because on old molten they were always **** compared to the other melee classes and noone wanted them in raids. It was always a better idea to bring another paladin or DK.

They're easy to lvl, you cal pull a ton of mobs and AoE them down. And good for low lvl PvP, that's what ppl say.

I wonder why warlock is is always the least played RDPS... I mean they're easy to lvl, have amazing utility, great damage, the best looking armor in the game and 4 cool DPS specs. Is it because of the "warlock, summon stone", "soulstone this guy", "warlock summon me FFS" and "what do you mean boomin/UH DK give +13% magic DMG?! use the ****ing CoE noob!"?
    Hmm...
    I think because people just go for THE STRONGEST when they start fresh. Probably anyone looking to be a pure ranged dps will go for a mage. No ranged class can outdps a mage
    Warlock brings a lot of utility but people don't like that style of play, they want the "do nothing but dps" classes

6. 15.11.2015
    Characters active in the last 30 days

Horde:

Overall:
    Spoiler: Show

• Druid 9%
    • Hunter 14% | +1% (13% last week)
    • Mage 10%
    • Priest 10%
    • Rogue 10% | +1%
    • Warlock 8%
    • Warrior 14%
    • Paladin 12%
    • Shaman 10%

70:

• Druid 11% | +1%
    • Hunter 9% | +2%
    • Mage 9% | +2%
    • Priest 11% | +1%
    • Rogue 7% | +3%
    • Warlock 8% | -1%
    • Warrior 12% | -1%
    • Paladin 19% | -5%
    • Shaman 9%

Races Overall

• Orc 20% | +1%
    • Tauren 17%
    • Troll 16% | +1%
    • Undead 20% | -1%
    • Blood Elf 26% | +1%

Races at 70

• Orc 20%
    • Tauren 16%
    • Troll 9% | +1%
    • Undead 24% | +2%
    • Blood Elf 29% | -2%

Alliance
    Census by Kalexius

Overall:

• Druid 10%
    • Hunter 12%
    • Mage 9% | +1%
    • Priest 10% | -1%
    • Rogue 10%
    • Warlock 6%
    • Warrior 15%
    • Paladin 17% | -1%
    • Shaman 6%

70:

• Druid 12%
    • Hunter 8% | +3%
    • Mage 7% | +1%
    • Priest 9% | +1%
    • Rogue 7% | +2%
    • Warlock 6% | 1%
    • Warrior 17% | -7%
    • Paladin 23% | -1%
    • Shaman 8% | -1%

Human most Populated Overall at 43% | -1%
    Human most populated at Level 70 at 55% | -9%

7. Couldn't post yesterday, wasn't home.
    Characters active in the last 30 days

Horde:

Overall:

• Druid 9%
    • Hunter 14%
    • Mage 10%
    • Priest 10%
    • Rogue 10%
    • Warlock 9% | +1%
    • Warrior 13% | -1%
    • Paladin 11% | -1%
    • Shaman 10%

70:

• Druid 11%
    • Hunter 10% | +1%
    • Mage 10% | +1%
    • Priest 10% | +1%
    • Rogue 7%
    • Warlock 7% | -1%
    • Warrior 12%
    • Paladin 18% | -1%
    • Shaman 10% | +1%

Races Overall

• Orc 19% | -1%
    • Tauren 17%
    • Troll 15% | -1%
    • Undead 20% | -1%
    • Blood Elf 27% | +1%

Races at 70

• Orc 20%
    • Tauren 16%
    • Troll 10% | +1%
    • Undead 23% | -1%
    • Blood Elf 28% | -1%

Alliance
    Census by Kalexius

Overall:

• Druid 10%
    • Hunter 12%
    • Mage 9%
    • Priest 10%
    • Rogue 10%
    • Warlock 6%
    • Warrior 15%
    • Paladin 17%
    • Shaman 6%

70:

• Druid 12%
    • Hunter 8%
    • Mage 8% | +1%
    • Priest 9% | +1%
    • Rogue 7%
    • Warlock 6%
    • Warrior 15% | -2%
    • Paladin 22% | -1%
    • Shaman 8%

Human most Populated Overall at 44% | -1%
    Human most populated at Level 70 at 54% | -1%
    Edited: November 23, 2015

8. Radvo, are you still doing the census?

Also, thanks for doing it, I really love to know the class/race distribution of the realm.
    Edited: December 14, 2015 Reason: Grammar

9. I would like to know the DK % on both sides right now, how many DKs are there in comparison to Paladins.

10. I would like to know the DK % on both sides right now, how many DKs are there in comparison to Paladins.
    "DKs are everywhere"

11. Radvo, are you still doing the census?

Also, thanks for doing it, I really love to know the class/race distribution of the realm.
    I've been using CallToArms since we don't have a group finder and that interferes with Census, I can't figure out how to make them both run since they both need to use the same function to run... I may give up CTA and resume updates starting next Sunday. (also gives more people time to get to 80)

I would like to know the DK % on both sides right now, how many DKs are there in comparison to Paladins.
    Right now the numbers are really low (under 500 dk's horde side) because other classes are from levels 1 to 80, while dk's are from 55 to 60something yesterday... Give it time.
    Edited: December 14, 2015

12. I would like to know the DK % on both sides right now, how many DKs are there in comparison to Paladins.
    Right now wouldn't be a good approximation for the long-term. Not only are DKs more or less exempt from the realm first level 80 race, but people who leveled past 60 have to do so again. This isn't taking into account the problems in the DK starting zone. If you're currently leveling 60-70 right now, you will see more DKs than anything else, and the level they start at is the main reason for that. Compared to everything else, though, so far, the population is fairly low.

13. Right now wouldn't be a good approximation for the long-term. Not only are DKs more or less exempt from the realm first level 80 race, but people who leveled past 60 have to do so again. This isn't taking into account the problems in the DK starting zone. If you're currently leveling 60-70 right now, you will see more DKs than anything else, and the level they start at is the main reason for that. Compared to everything else, though, so far, the population is fairly low.
    Interesting. I know that DKs are really popular, maybe not as popular as paladins in the long run and total population at level 80 once the spirits settle down, but even so I suspected everyone and their mother would jump to make a DK.

14. I suspected everyone and their mother would jump to make a DK.
    That's what it looked like, actually. It would seem the majority either gave up or are going to wait to level later.

15. That's what it looked like, actually. It would seem the majority either gave up or are going to wait to level later.
    My money's on giving up. The saronite arrows quest was infernal to say the least :)
    Most would probably wait 2 or so weeks for the things to settle down.

First 1234 ... Last