1. Affliction Warlocks are plenty viable. There's that extremely annoying Nightfall bug that you're gonna hate, and I'd also be surprised if Felhunters were working correctly (this isn't something I've tested; it's only an extrapolation I'm making from DK and Hunter pet tunings being so hopelessly out of whack), but in general the spec does great.

Right now on Deathwing and Ragnaros there's a bug (that no one seems to have reported) where the proc from Decimation reduces the cast-time of Soul Fire by 60% rather than the intended 40%. The increase to execute phase DPS this gives Demo and Hybrid Warlocks is ridiculous. To get an idea of the difference this makes, imagine if your Soulfire's cast-time was 1.5x higher during execute phase than what it is right now. This, in conjunction with the other mentioned bugs, are probably why you tend to see Warlocks favoring those other specs over Affliction on here.
    Edited: January 10, 2016

2. Affliction Warlocks are plenty viable. There's that extremely annoying Nightfall bug that you're gonna hate, and I'd also be surprised if Felhunters were working correctly (this isn't something I've tested; it's only an extrapolation I'm making from DK and Hunter pet tunings being so hopelessly out of whack), but in general the spec does great.

Right now on Deathwing and Ragnaros there's a bug (that no one seems to have reported) where the proc from Decimation reduces the cast-time of Soul Fire by 60% rather than the intended 40%. The increase to execute phase DPS this gives Demo and Hybrid Warlocks is ridiculous. To get an idea of the difference this makes, imagine if your Soulfire's cast-time was 1.5x higher during execute phase than what it is right now. This, in conjunction with the other mentioned bugs, are probably why you tend to see Warlocks favoring those other specs over Affliction on here.

I`m a bit confused with decent gear (a bit over 1370 haste i think was it) and normal working Decimation 40% your Soul Fire cast time is already 1 sec. With 60% it will be under 1 sec but you still have GCD 1 sec so you cant cast more than 1 Soul Fire in 1 sec, even if your casting time is 0.8 sec because you will wait 0.2 sec more for the GCD of 1 sec.

If this bug somehow bypass GCD then it is really huge.
    Edited: January 21, 2016

3. If you have 1000 haste and you manage to cast 80 corruptions during the encounter then technically haste hasn't given you more ticks. Instead, haste has allowed you cast corruption more frequently which THEN equates to more ticks during the overall encounter
    Perfectly worded, but I honestly believe rc100 understood perfectly what Jendah & Sixtyninee were saying but chose to argue for egoistic purposes

4. I`m a bit confused with decent gear (a bit over 1370 haste i think was it) and normal working Decimation 40% your Soul Fire cast time is already 1 sec. With 60% it will be under 1 sec but you still have GCD 1 sec so you cant cast more than 1 Soul Fire in 1 sec, even if your casting time is 0.8 sec because you will wait 0.2 sec more for the GCD of 1 sec.

If this bug somehow bypass GCD then it is really huge.
    With that haste level and with raid haste buffs (5% spell haste, 3% minor haste aura) the cast-time of your Soul Fire under the effects of the currently bugged Decimation is somewhere very close to 1.00 second. If Decimation worked correctly, that 1.00 second cast-time would instead be 1.50 seconds, effectively slashing the number of Soul Fires you cast by 33%, and reducing your current execution phase DPS tremendously.

5. With that haste level and with raid haste buffs (5% spell haste, 3% minor haste aura) the cast-time of your Soul Fire under the effects of the currently bugged Decimation is somewhere very close to 1.00 second. If Decimation worked correctly, that 1.00 second cast-time would instead be 1.50 seconds, effectively slashing the number of Soul Fires you cast by 33%, and reducing your current execution phase DPS tremendously.
    You are totally right mate, here in molten/warmane always was like that and i forget how was it on retail. Normal cast time on retail was around 1.5-1.6 sec not like here 1sec.

6. WoW! Here is a lot of talking about Demo and Destro locks and meaning of Corruption, I'm lost what people want to point at. For example, "more haste will not let you get more ticks, but let's you cast more Corruptions"; really, for new players it's completly confused. Just talk about Affliction spec mainly as this giude is. Yes, other specs are also good. All lock specs doing near the same dps/damage - it depends by encounter mechanic.

Talking about Afflock stats and caps I want to point at some of my observations:
    1. Get 11% hit - it's enought in all situations (even if there are no spriests and balance druids in raids)
    2. Under 3500 SP the SP stat has priority over other stats - above 3500SP try to stack more Haste.
    3. The Afflock Haste cap is 1400 rating - it let's you to cast Haunt and UA under 1 sec. More haste will not let you decrease the casting of Shadow bolt significantly.
    4. Afflock special mechanic is "Shadow Bolt, Haunt, Drain Life - LET'S YOUR LOCK TO REFRESH CORRUPTION". So, more haste let's your to trigger more Corr ticks (more DPS) per time interval. More, Corr ticks - better chance to trigger Nightfal (instant SB). But this has it's diminishing returns, because very high haste let's you trigger one addition Corr tick per the same time interval but this will return in less DPS compared to improved SP and crit. Also the proc chance of Nightfall is relatively low - don't expect so much dps boost from this talent.
    5. I offer at 1400 haste to stack more SP and crit even for Afflocks due to previous explanations. Sure, use Potion of Speed, wait for BL/Heroism, use Engineering Gloves or wait for Eradication and recast Corruption and this Corruption will roll with buffed haste during entire encounter. So, no need to run with insance flat haste. Just try to not lost this buffed Corruption (exception are encounters where it's not possible). At the same time I noticed that SB and Drain Souls doing a way much better dmg with higher SP and while they crits due to Ruin talent. Also Corruption crits doing very nice damage.

So my recommendation.
    Experience with SP/Crit and balance them under your playstyle, while hit and haste are capped.

As for Demo locks - they aren't an unique spec. They are mixed lock style of Affliction and Destruction with improved demon abilities. It's obvious due to their spell rotations.
    Edited: January 23, 2016

7. Some nice advices goin out here.
    Off topic though, If you are the only warlock in a raid please dont even try destro / hybrid / affliction, since your dps will stink without the demonic pact from demonology, Ive seen far to many raids with warlocks whos "I hate demo **** off" while the whole raid suffers, even healers.
    The demonic pact is imo the best raid buff in the game (if the warlock is enough geared for more sp)

8. Some nice advices goin out here.
    Off topic though, If you are the only warlock in a raid please dont even try destro / hybrid / affliction, since your dps will stink without the demonic pact from demonology, Ive seen far to many raids with warlocks whos "I hate demo **** off" while the whole raid suffers, even healers.
    The demonic pact is imo the best raid buff in the game (if the warlock is enough geared for more sp)
    YES and NO.

In 10 man raids it's no matter your only one lock is Demo or Affliction (2 tanks, 2-3 melee, 2 healers and only 2 DPS, max 3rd - hunter). Only two debuffs viable there are - Curse of Elements and Improved Shadow Bolt debuff.

In 25 man raids Demo locks are more effective due to significant casters role 13-15 (including healers). If you have 2 or 3 locks in raid it's good idea to set them Affliction/Demo/Destro combination. Afflocks are good not only due to their high DPS in "high movement raids", but due to their self healing and very high survivability (after tanks and paladins, while bubble), as a result - healers have a bit easier job spending their GCD on tanks and other DPSers.

9. More, Corr ticks - better chance to trigger Nightfal (instant SB). But this has it's diminishing returns, because very high haste let's you trigger one addition Corr tick per the same time interval but this will return in less DPS compared to improved SP and crit. Also the proc chance of Nightfall is relatively low - don't expect so much dps boost from this talent.
    I wouldn't expect any DPS increase from Nightfall since it's useless on any fight where you're not moving every couple of seconds since it's currently broken and if it procs while casting Shadow Bolt it will be consumed by your casted sbolt rendering it completely useless if you're not moving around a whole lot.

10. I just dont understand what i do wrong i've applying what i've read here.. but still, my dps is low. i dont really get it. whether it's demono or affli my dps is pretty much the same O.o

Here is a video of me testing my dps on HC dummy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGSPMQQWxwA

About my gear in the video, i have the 3 bis, i was just testing with the namelich one. and for my ranged, i took the pvp on because i cant get the ICC one for now and i have a ****ty range weapon... Anyways, it's not really these small stats which give me such low dps.

So, what do i do wrong here ?

Thx.

11. I just dont understand what i do wrong i've applying what i've read here.. but still, my dps is low. i dont really get it. whether it's demono or affli my dps is pretty much the same O.o

Here is a video of me testing my dps on HC dummy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGSPMQQWxwA

About my gear in the video, i have the 3 bis, i was just testing with the namelich one. and for my ranged, i took the pvp on because i cant get the ICC one for now and i have a ****ty range weapon... Anyways, it's not really these small stats which give me such low dps.

So, what do i do wrong here ?

Thx.
    Mistakes i saw
    1 - On dummy you want to use COE not COA flat 10%+ dps increase.
    2 - You are delaying Haunt which makes your dots to do less dps. Cast Haunt around 3 sec left on boss not after its gone, because you are losing the buff from it, aka the main reason we cast haunt. Haunt is doing dmg right after we apply it when the haunt buff disrepair like you are doing it only heals you its not doing dps.
    3 - Not recasting corruption when you have tier bonus for increased damage.
    4 - Every gem like pure haste, haste + stamina and so on is dps loss. You want maximum spell power from gems and if the socket bonus is worth it then you put spell power gem + haste, crit or spirit. If socket bonus is not worth it use pure spell power gem.
    5 - the spec is not optimal also

All this information you can find basically in every one of the guides about warlocks in the forum here.

12. Mistakes i saw
    1 - On dummy you want to use COE not COA flat 10%+ dps increase.
    2 - You are delaying Haunt which makes your dots to do less dps. Cast Haunt around 3 sec left on boss not after its gone, because you are losing the buff from it, aka the main reason we cast haunt. Haunt is doing dmg right after we apply it when the haunt buff disrepair like you are doing it only heals you its not doing dps.
    3 - Not recasting corruption when you have tier bonus for increased damage.
    4 - Every gem like pure haste, haste + stamina and so on is dps loss. You want maximum spell power from gems and if the socket bonus is worth it then you put spell power gem + haste, crit or spirit. If socket bonus is not worth it use pure spell power gem.
    5 - the spec is not optimal also

All this information you can find basically in every one of the guides about warlocks in the forum here.

2) isnt that clipping ? i thought it was a loose of dps...

3) Why should I ? Isnt that bug supposed to be fixed ? When i cast SB, my corruption is supposed to get refreshed...
    If i refresh m corruption, why shouldnt i do the same for all my spells for maximum dps when bonus tier proc ?

4) See like that, it's never worth it because bonus socket are always +5 (minimum) to +9 ( maximum and only for head) spell power... but you are right about stam and pure haste gem

5) My spec IS optimal for now... I dont need suppression since my gear provide me enough hit rating for now ( im about to change it ) and the Intensity (2/2) on the destruction tree is a must-have. there are nothjng wrong when it comes to my spec.

13. 2) isnt that clipping ? i thought it was a loose of dps...

3) Why should I ? Isnt that bug supposed to be fixed ? When i cast SB, my corruption is supposed to get refreshed...
    If i refresh m corruption, why shouldnt i do the same for all my spells for maximum dps when bonus tier proc ?

4) See like that, it's never worth it because bonus socket are always +5 (minimum) to +9 ( maximum and only for head) spell power... but you are right about stam and pure haste gem

5) My spec IS optimal for now... I dont need suppression since my gear provide me enough hit rating for now ( im about to change it ) and the Intensity (2/2) on the destruction tree is a must-have. there are nothjng wrong when it comes to my spec.
    2 - you have to do it just one time when you have the tier buff
    3 - it is not a bug, its the nature of Corruption works, it makes a snap on your crit % and any % damage increase at the moment you hard cast corruption on the target. So this 10% more damage you gain from the tier bonus will stay until you let your spell go off. If you dont recast it you will never get 10% more damage on corruption. For all other dots it is applying dynamical thats why you dont have to recast it.
    4 - blue socket with 5 spell power bonus is a spell power loss. You put 12sp/10 spirit gem. You have 10 spirit with kings 11spirit with life tap and fel armor you get 50% of that spirit as spell power or 12 spell power the gem give you + 11 spirit * 50% = 5 spell power + 5 spell power bonus socket total 22 spell power pure spell power gem is giving you 23 spell power. If that bonus is with 3 sockets its even worst.

14. 2) isnt that clipping ? i thought it was a loose of dps...
    you casted it late, but 3 sec before expiration is too soon imho. I am refreshing it when I wouldn't finish other spell before debuff expires. (cca 1-0.5s remaining)

15. you casted it late, but 3 sec before expiration is too soon imho. I am refreshing it when I wouldn't finish other spell before debuff expires. (cca 1-0.5s remaining)
    Well, since im casting a lot of shadow bolt.. most of time my Haunt is at 1sec left when im casting my shadow bolt, i cant just stop my cast and cast haunt, i'll lose dps.
    About my trinket.. i have the 3 important one, all of them normal : Charred, DFO and Pyla.
    With DFO + Charred + haste stone, i have 1216 haste
    With Charred + Phyla + haste stone, i have 1061 haste.

The guide linked in the first page of this thread advise to take the DFO + Charred configuration, is that the Charred + Phyla better ? the Phyla proc a really really lot and 1k spell power is damn good

First 1234 Last