1. Is warlock even viable in PvE?

This is a question to the Lordaeron warlocks. Apparently on Lordaeron there's an issue with the blood imp. He ooms very quickly and when he can't cast fireballs your DPS drops a lot. Affliction is not viable with pre naxx gear I think so do warlocks have any chance at being good damage dealers or are they simply mediocre classes that bring a raid buff?

2. This is a question to the Lordaeron warlocks. Apparently on Lordaeron there's an issue with the blood imp. He ooms very quickly and when he can't cast fireballs your DPS drops a lot. Affliction is not viable with pre naxx gear I think so do warlocks have any chance at being good damage dealers or are they simply mediocre classes that bring a raid buff?
    Imp goes oom quickly on ragnaros/deathwing as well. Make sure your pet doesnt cast that fire shield icon spell (forgot name, sry). If that doesnt help Demonology/Hybrid should remove your pets mana problems (demonology uses felguard and hybrid can spec into mana feed).

3. Thank you for the reply but that's not exactly what I asked. I personally don't play a warlock but a friend of mine does and he's about ready to quit because of this. I asked if warlock in it's current state is viable for raiding. The destruction spec which is the main DPS spec is very weak due to this and sure you can get some demonology talents, resummon the imp mid fight etc. etc. but even with all other skills disabled the imp still runs out of mana while sartharion 25 still has 80% hp. Sure he brings curse of elements but the damage of the warlock is extremely mediocre. Affliction brings fel intelligence but otherwise mediocre dps and demonology was never a dps spec for raids, it has always been used mainly to provide the felguard spellpower buff or am I wrong? I'm basically asking if there's a way for the warlock to compete with the other DPS classes in his current state or is he merely a walking buff?

4. Not sure about Demo in Naxx-level gear, but it's one of the best DPS in ICC depending on the encounter. I believe you can do a lot of damage still, plus the spellpower is nice (I don't know how it is interacting with Totem of Wrath on Lord tho) and the utility by having portal/healthstones/soulstones, so it is definitely viable and needed.

5. Thank you for the reply but that's not exactly what I asked. I personally don't play a warlock but a friend of mine does and he's about ready to quit because of this. I asked if warlock in it's current state is viable for raiding. The destruction spec which is the main DPS spec is very weak due to this and sure you can get some demonology talents, resummon the imp mid fight etc. etc. but even with all other skills disabled the imp still runs out of mana while sartharion 25 still has 80% hp. Sure he brings curse of elements but the damage of the warlock is extremely mediocre. Affliction brings fel intelligence but otherwise mediocre dps and demonology was never a dps spec for raids, it has always been used mainly to provide the felguard spellpower buff or am I wrong? I'm basically asking if there's a way for the warlock to compete with the other DPS classes in his current state or is he merely a walking buff?
    The problem is that you on Lordaeron run in completelly untested ground.. noone is going to know what is going to work and how (we can only guess).. since you are playing with 3.3.5a patch - all spells, glyphs and talents are balanced according to icc/ruby gear, but you only have OS/Naxx available... you have to test it yourselves...

Demonology is mainly support spec, that doesnt mean that it would do terribad dps though (dont expect any lock spec to top dps, it should be able to hold in the middle of the pack though). If imp dps is significant loss for your friend, than felguard who doesnt need mana and provides way more dps (and even cleaves) might cause the spec to work better as a whole. Other good side is that noone is geared on Loard atm.. exectution (<35%) phase is going to be pretty long - and noone should come even close to Demo during his soulfire spam (ideal is to use metamorphosis @start with hero and second time during this execution phase; if the fight is too short save meta for this). This is the logic behind my advice, its worth the shot imho (hybrid might be interresting as well, but I never tested it myself).
    Edited: January 11, 2016

6. (dont expect any lock spec to top dps, it should be able to hold in the middle of the pack though).
    Nice joke bro, lock dps is one of the best in game..

7. Nice joke bro, lock dps is one of the best in game..
    I have been raiding on Ragnaros since 2011. I have not seen lock top dps unless he was significantly better geared or significantly more skilled (rest sucked) than the rest of the raid. When I see locks regularly end in top 5 dps I will gladly change my mind.

8. I have been raiding on Ragnaros since 2011. I have not seen lock top dps unless he was significantly better geared or significantly more skilled (rest sucked) than the rest of the raid. When I see locks regularly end in top 5 dps I will gladly change my mind.
    Just because you've never raided with a Lock who does 20-23kdps on various ICC bosses and 24k-25k on saurfang doesn't mean they don't exist.

Edit: and no I'm not cherrypicking rare encounters where everyone but the lock is undergeared and the decimation phase is drawn out to simply boost the dps of the warlock but 25hc farming with an established end game raiding guild.
    Edited: January 13, 2016

9. Just because you've never raided with a Lock who does 20-23kdps on various ICC bosses and 24k-25k on saurfang doesn't mean they don't exist.

Edit: and no I'm not cherrypicking rare encounters where everyone but the lock is undergeared and the decimation phase is drawn out to simply boost the dps of the warlock but 25hc farming with an established end game raiding guild.
    I have been farming LoD with Aurora for 18 months before moltdown (I am not playing nearly as much since, although I did a few LoDs.). Established enough?

I expect that there are some exceptional players who can do that (part of the reason I dont encounter them is that in rora there is ussualy only 1 spirit stacking demo/raid - selflessly sacrificing their own dps to boost group even more). I just think that you cannot say that lock is one of the top dps based on 0.1% of them. Raids I am in top 5 dps are ussually: hunter, mage, paladin, war, others rarely.

10. I have been raiding on Ragnaros since 2011. I have not seen lock top dps unless he was significantly better geared or significantly more skilled (rest sucked) than the rest of the raid. When I see locks regularly end in top 5 dps I will gladly change my mind.
    Well as an Aurora officer and ex core for a good while I can say that we very rarely have a spirit stacking demo in the raid and rarely run 2 locks unless me and my friend plan ahead of time to run sp demo+hybrid together to strive for the 25k.
    Both a solo demo lock and a hybrid paired with selfish built demo can top at 19-22k (23-24k DBS) regularly if they know their class well enough and itemize for raw dps stats over pure sp.

I know I can't generalise every raiding warlock after my own standards but simply dismissing the currently strongest caster class (until the t10 2pc gets fixed ) from the top 5 dps list is just stupid, I've seen other warlocks from other guilds pull high dps as well.
    Edited: January 13, 2016 Reason: spacing

11. Well as an Aurora officer and ex core for a good while I can say that we very rarely have a spirit stacking demo in the raid and rarely run 2 locks unless me and my friend plan ahead of time to run sp demo+hybrid together to strive for the 25k.
    Both a solo demo lock and a hybrid paired with selfish built demo can top at 19-22k (23-24k DBS) regularly if they know their class well enough and itemize for raw dps stats over pure sp.
    I checked funkys world of logs again (december and january older are not working)...
    top 5 dps @dbs:
    War: 4
    Mage: 6
    Priest: 6
    Hunt: 7
    Ret: 4
    Bala: 3
    Lock: 0

No lock was doing above 20k dps. I remember it about the same, with some exceptions when lock was doing something like 22k. Either those locks didnt raid with funky for 6 weeks or there is something fishy with recount. (I dont understand selfish demo locks in 25mans...)

12. I checked funkys world of logs again (december and january older are not working)...
    top 5 dps @dbs:
    War: 4
    Mage: 6
    Priest: 6
    Hunt: 7
    Ret: 4
    Bala: 3
    Lock: 0

No lock was doing above 20k dps. I remember it about the same, with some exceptions when lock was doing something like 22k. Either those locks didnt raid with funky for 6 weeks or there is something fishy with recount. (I dont understand selfish demo locks in 25mans...)
    Latest guild raids been struggling with a shortage of people because a lot of peope(me included) go on vacations over the holidays, I'd post screenshots if I weren't overseas currently.
    Few active Rora members can dps race as a warlock because they main other classes and demo locks are traditionally considered a support spec much like an ele sham so people don't bother tryharding and just relax and end up getting carried.

13. A lock can definetly stay on the top 5 dps (The Unholy, Fury and Retri will always top tho)

They also bring +1 Soulstone and strong unique raid buffs. Definetly viable for PVE.

If your friend wanted to roll a class just to easily top the skada meter without much effort he should have chosen the one with the golden wings.

14. I have been raiding on Ragnaros since 2011. I have not seen lock top dps unless he was significantly better geared or significantly more skilled (rest sucked) than the rest of the raid. When I see locks regularly end in top 5 dps I will gladly change my mind.
    Significantly more skilled ??? ıt is just 6-7 button and 2 addons.. U dont need to be talented pulling +20k dps in icc w/o hc items. I was playing at dw b4 moltdown as a demo (ave_6k), watching tv and drink tea at the same time :) always in top 5. ( lordeiron sm ll not be obtainable ingame. and i just lmao to retri,fury,unholy at dps cart.)

15. On 25 Imp should never go oom LOL ... As for the specs in general: Here on molten they work kinda differend than Retail ... Here demo locks do far more DPS than retail (20k+ here/no more than 18k+ in retail) in general and a lot more than Affliction (which was the TOP DPS spec for warlocks in retail at the time of 3.3.5). As Deepfearr said, even w/o trying Demo can pull enough DPS to be in top 5 on every fight in ICC!