1. You can get away with it against really bad Rets. Any Ret who sees you place a trap down at the beginning of the duel will just walk around it. It's also best not to take a few hits from them before you trap them since they'll know they can just trinket and keep their pressure up. The opener is extremely important against Rets, since you are trying to get that range as well as nuke them before they can do anything to you. If you simply freezing trap, it is really that easy to avoid it. On my Ret, Hunters who do this always always seem confused when I simply walk away when I see them drop a freezing trap. The scatter shot is to guarantee it! Don't take your chances xD

2. Yes, it is quite RNG based whether you hit the sacred or not. All their buffs are spammable indeed but it doesn't mean you shouldn't dispel them anyway. If you do hit the sacred, I watch their health plummet so hard becauss they didnt absorb 2500- 3000 damage on your burst. Think of it this way. Every time you burst with sacred up, expect it to eat 2500-3000 damage. Over time this adds up to quite a lot. However even if you miss all dispels it doesn't mean you've completely lost. You can still string a huge chain of crits when you've broken sacred shield and if you reset often, it won't add up to as much since you are always getting that max range every 30 seconds or so.

Playing as disc hunter in 2v2, I am sure that you agree that dispelling sacred shield is one of the most important jobs for the priest since the hunter cant pressure without it. Try to think of it in the same way
    Dispelling anything will help you:
    I agree, I'm not saying using tranq shot whenever you can is a bad idea, because that's what I always use to do with free globals, in almost every situation (there's exceptions like resto druids or mages with 15 buffs though). I'm just saying that it's pretty much impossible to make a full tactic around that, because of the fact that any good ret will instantly reapply whichever buff you dispelled. It helps though, and should be used; imagine dispelling a freedom right when they use it, that's a gamechanger.

One of the only reasons people play disc/mm is because of the (offensive) dispel (and damage and CC). I very well know the value of offensive dispels, a bad priest that only heals will make you get stuck at 1500 rating.

If you like, we can do some duels on Ragnaros or Blackrock where you or me play as Retribution vs. Hunter. The duel range is insane on Blackrock however rets are way more tanky. On Ragnaros and Deathwing it seems that all classes do an absurd amount of damage compared to Blackrock. PvE pieces really carry.
    The damage on Rag and DW is indeed higher for every class, even with the same gear. It's way more bursty than it is on Blackrock, which is why I tend to win more duels on Rag/DW. Shadow priests are way easier, because you do such insane amounts of damage that often they die in a silence - ravager stun - silence. Same goes for every caster class, and even some melee ones. That on top of the fact that people don't really know what they're doing on Rag/DW.

And I can't play ret at all, 90% of my playtime in WoW is hunter, 5% priest and 5% warrior. Duels wouldn't really be all that meaningful because I'm terrible at ret. I can't really duel today or anytime soon - got exams until the 4th of Feb. After that, I guess I can get back into WoW for a few duels.
    Edited: January 26, 2016

3. Indeed you can't rely entirely on dispelling that sacred. However, it's the most effective and safest bet.

4. If you want Sindra's Cruel Claw over RTP, it suggests to me that you value haste/ArP>crit, which you shouldn't.

You do not need haste at all no matter how good the item might look. Just because it has a better iLevel doesn't mean it is better.
    Also, I don't see what's appealing about the blue gem. RTP has a Yellow gem socket bonus, and the difference in Attack Power is very small.
    RTP gives you 1.04% crit chance for 16 Attack power self buffed. If by all means you find 68 haste and 8 ArP more appealing than 1.04% Crit, go for it; but I'm pretty sure most of us Hunters would prefer that crit rather than haste. Stamina difference isn't that impressive either.

It's a bit confusing from what you're asking. Judging from what you said about neck choice, you suggest to prioritise a tiny bit of ArP/Haste over raw crit chance. Then you said in trinkets choices that you prefer crit. So which is it that you want?

STS will give you 13.15% ArP, not 10%.

If you look at your damage done in PvP fights I'm sure you'll find auto shot and Aimed Shot very high up there in % damage done. Auto Shot might even be the highest. You might not believe me but testing on all armor types, ArP always came out on top (when using Death's Verdict, WFS, DBW).

My Aimed Shots would crit 200-500 more with STS, and a bit less for Auto Shots. Yes, 3% crit is still quite nice, but I prefer having consistent stopping power rather than having weaker crits. Your crit chance is already quite high with full Agility offpieces so it's not like crits are a rare thing to see.

Adding an extra 1/33 crits does not match the consistency that STS provides. Hitting 200-500 more on all physical shots is just so much better.

ArP really does help your kill shot. Ignoring that 13% Armor always helps, even if it is a cloth class. Imagine just ignoring 13% of perhaps 5000 armor. It'll boost your physical shots significantly since Armor gives more value when it is at lower levels. As Armor goes up, it gives less and less benefits, much like a soft cap.

Also STS gives you more AP on proc, giving you more stopping power. Don't forget to factor this in.
    Try to think of it like this. If in theory the trinkets proc at the same time, with the same proc chance (which they obviously do), then you would be getting these stats:

Math this however you want. The answer is always the same.

WFS PROC = 1250/45 x 15 is equivalent to a 416.66 passive attack power.
    STS PROC = 1472/45 x 15 is equivalent to a 490.66 passive attack power.

The 45 divisor represents the internal cooldown of the trinket. The 15 represents the proc uptime. So basically you can expect it to be up 1/3 of the time.

In 15 second intervals it'll look like this:

15/no proc/no proc /15/no proc/no proc /15/no proc/no proc etc.

Now you should factor in Trueshot Aura.
    WFS PROC is equivalent to: 416.66* 110% = 458 AP (nearest whole)
    STS PROC is equivalent to: 490.66* 110% = 540 AP (nearest whole)

AP difference = 82

If you were to have the equivalent Attack Power in Gems, you would have 41 crit or 41 agility.

STS wins by quite a nice amount of AP, and this is just from the proc. If this doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.

I'm sure that given the choice on Blackrock, most Hunters would pick STS over WFS because of its nice passive ArP and better proc, giving more consistent physical damage.

It's all a matter of preference though, but I assure you that STS is better than WFS.
    Edited: January 26, 2016

5. Just saw that 2nd place on Blackrock are BM hunt and Enha shaman-wut? o.O Must be that enha doing there compared to rest of the realms... and BM hunt...nice.

6. Yes, Enh on Blackrock is much more viable on Blackrock. It seems they're more durable and deal a bit more damage compared to other realms.BM is about the same aside from pets getting stuck in pillars like they do on Deathwing and Ragnaros, and having more health.

7. This is H U G E. I haven't read it all but I'm planning to while sipping my drink. Dayum that's a very well rounded guide. Can't wait for the merge to be able to BG against/with a hunter of this experience.

Big thumbs up

8. Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on improving the guide :)

9. Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on improving the guide :)
    im believe that jungle cleave is resto shaman/feral/mm and not a disc priest

against prot warr 1v1 - prot warr use intimidation shout at start right after charge, feared pet, gg. and ur point about if prot is wearing resil items - he wont loose so much damage as u think. actuall diff will be less then 1.5k per hit. and never relax, even a lil bit how u suggested, even if prot popped def cd's - he wont loose any dmg like arms warr do kek
    Edited: February 8, 2016

10. Jungle cleave usually consists of Feral/Hunter/Healer, but many roll with a Discipline Priest for dispel magic.

I'll have to disagree on prots losing damage when you wear resilience. Most of the damage comes from ArP (highest damage to scale with), Attack Power, and Block Value, which obviously any armor will do zero for you.

Even if it's 1500 per hit, that's still quite a alot. It definitely isn't worth it to go less resilience if you're going to get one shotted in the opener.

Indeed they can charge fear, but you don't trinket fears against Prot Warriors, only the stun. Also, there is a chance that putting a Snake Trap down will eat the Fear instead of you or your pet. If it really comes to tryhard mode, a ravager's bullheaded gets the pet out of the fear, however it's not very durable and can die in about two shockwaves from a proper warrior. Once in a while you might intervene something nice with a Crab, with Roar of Sacrifice, I don't see prots hitting me for over 5k on 1400 resilience.

The ones with resilience seem to hit like a wet noodle :/ Don't usually see over 4k either.

From many prot warrior duels, there aren't many where you get to nuke them from 100% to 0 before getting charged twice.
    I'm also sure any Prot Warrior given the option, would choose to duel a lower Resilience Hunter because they just want to one shot on the 2nd stun.
    Given the option against any class, prots usually favoour targets with little resilience for that top kek one shot xD

The prot has to reset the fight with a fear after the Hunter Trinkets to get another full stun to win. Havn't lost to any other tactic but that :/
    Edited: February 8, 2016

11. there is gear setup for prot where we could reach 97% of arp, maintaining soft block value cap and around 450 resilince, while losing around only 3% of crit and 150 ap. just as i said - there will be almost zero difference between glass canono build and this one in terms of dmg output.

12. yes, that is true, but 450 resilience is still quite low. You'll probably still receive 6.4k+ Chimera Crits from a 1400 resilience hunter while you're in defensive stance. Crit is obsolete for12 seconds if Roar of Sacrifice is up.

I have my prot warrior also, with full best in slot, with the stats you've given, except with slightly less resilience (420 or so).

Fully debuffed with Sunder Armors and Battle stance, the highest slam i could do on 1400 resilience Hunter was 6.4k, Shockwave was pretty decent at around 4k non crits to 6k with full procs. Revenge did slightly more than shockwave but nothing over 7k.

On a 1000 resilience Hunter I scored a 7.7k Shield slam (with block of course), Shockwave at 7k, revenge at 7k.

The Hunter still crits over 6.4k Chimeras (unless you wall).

I don't deny that the difference in damage is small, but the resilience that you have is still not enough to tank Hunter burst without blowing some cooldowns.

I was talking more about 900+ resilience prot warriors anyway, and I'm sure you can agree that they do significantly less damage because they don't have that 80%+ ArP.

13. Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on improving the guide :)
    Questions not really. Suggestions maybe in the near future if I notice something wrong due to new bugs arising, and what not. But I doubt it, this is excellent work.

Keep the good work going.

14. yes, that is true, but 450 resilience is still quite low. You'll probably still receive 6.4k+ Chimera Crits from a 1400 resilience hunter while you're in defensive stance. Crit is obsolete for12 seconds if Roar of Sacrifice is up.

I have my prot warrior also, with full best in slot, with the stats you've given, except with slightly less resilience (420 or so).

Fully debuffed with Sunder Armors and Battle stance, the highest slam i could do on 1400 resilience Hunter was 6.4k, Shockwave was pretty decent at around 4k non crits to 6k with full procs. Revenge did slightly more than shockwave but nothing over 7k.

On a 1000 resilience Hunter I scored a 7.7k Shield slam (with block of course), Shockwave at 7k, revenge at 7k.

The Hunter still crits over 6.4k Chimeras (unless you wall).

I don't deny that the difference in damage is small, but the resilience that you have is still not enough to tank Hunter burst without blowing some cooldowns.

I was talking more about 900+ resilience prot warriors anyway, and I'm sure you can agree that they do significantly less damage because they don't have that 80%+ ArP.
    prot war should never use more than 700 resil even in 3v3. so i dunno where u've found such guys

First ... 34567 ... Last