1. i've noticed piercing shot is a gread trap breaker
    deleted that crap and now it hell fun to rape paladins and warriors, can trap whenever u want

con - pesky rogues run away

2. i've noticed piercing shot is a gread trap breaker
    deleted that crap and now it hell fun to rape paladins and warriors, can trap whenever u want
    con - pesky rogues run away
    Agree, and thankfully in WOTLK there are viable talent alternatives. I take improved arcane shot instead of piercing shots.

Now, I accept that if you look on recount that piercing shot damage will be greater than the +15% you get to your arcane shots from improved arcane shot.

But, in pvp, if you've got a ret coming in for the kill, knowing you can get a full scatter and/or full freezing trap on him more than makes up for that damage difference, imo. In fact, the ret will probably have dispelled serpent sting already, so you won't have to even worry about using scorpid sting first. In that situation, piercing shots - which has very high uptime with all the crit we have now - will often literally be the difference between living and dying. Recount can't show that.

3. i'am trading piercing shots for lock'n'load
    something like this http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#cZ0eVsohdGhsxuVocbhwobh

really sick **** for world pvp, burst can be huge even against plates
    did that build because DKs are pissing me off

4. i'am trading piercing shots for lock'n'load
    something like this http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#cZ0eVsohdGhsxuVocbhwobh
    Interesting build- especially the savage strikes. Do you use raptor strike and mongoose bite a lot?

5. Interesting build- especially the savage strikes. Do you use raptor strike and mongoose bite a lot?
    i use track hidden mostly, especially on battlegrounds
    even with humanoid tracking 2% damage per 2 talents is meh, meanwhile raptor strike macrosed with wing clip can do really nice crits
    especially when i swap weapon to 1 handed against targets without disarm

6. That's cool- any build can be good if you get a lot of use from it.

As far as DKs, a good dirty trick for world pvp if you have engineering is to deter and then use the old trusty master's call rocket boots macro:

/use 8
    /cast [@player] Master's Call.

Then max range kite them to oblivion. Can't really max range kite well in duels, but in world pvp dks are easy to torment with it. I figure anyone who rolled a WOLTK dk deserves it. :)

7. Back to the subject of warriors, I was watching this Swifty video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaScgXR4lI

I noticed he gets a LOT of healing from the second wind talent, which heals the warrior for 10% of his health every time he is hit by a stun or an "immobilize effect." With hunters I suppose that means entrapment and ravage/web all heal the warrior, though aimed shot would reduce it.

You mentioned that one strat against warriors was to start with scorpid disarm, and I think this second wind talent speaks in favor of that, since, when a lot of our cc heals the warrior, that makes the ones that don't (scorpid disarm, scatter shot and freezing trap) that much more useful. In fact, I might think of following the scorpid disarm with a scatter trap to get in max range. I know you don't like to max range kite warriors, but I have no problem with it since they will blow you up on this server if you let them have their intercepts and charges. :)

I could be wrong, but I think ideal strat against warriors involves them not having serpent sting on them a good bit of the time so you can get full scatter shots and freezing traps against them.

Incidentally, being able to use strats like that is the main reason I don't take piercing shots even though I know it does great damage. I hate rng in pvp- I like knowing, to the extent possible, that if I do x then y happens. Not a fan of "I'm gonna follow this scorpid disarm with a scatter ... j/k piercing shots." In Cata, mm has no option not to take piercing shots (well, not without taking garbage talents instead), which is a big reason I don't play it then.
    The healing from second wind and blood craze is inevitable, however aimed shot does great work at keeping their heals low. If you manage to keep aimed shot up the whole time the most they can really heal is about 25%-30% before they die. Or unless you hit like a wet noodle.

I guess if that's your playstyle, Yes you can remove piercing shots to reset a little however if the warrior knows you want to scatter trap they may change their tactics up a little bit. You will get away with it against most warriors though. However I do think that your damage will be lacking a bit; against a resilience stacked warrior I don't see how you can kill them like that before you die to rend ticks in between charge/intercepts.

8. Is there anything you can do as mm to survive a geared feral who gets the pounce on you in a bg? Your feral guide talks about standing on a trap/flare in a duel and I agree that works well. But once the feral gets the pounce on you, it's hard for me to even think of a good strat as mm with all the mobility tools ferals have. As BM, I'd have a chance by BW/intimidating the pounce and trying to blow him up with my burst and immunity followed by 10 sec master's call. But I don't think I could do that as MM. Don't want to play WOTLK BM, though, so I guess I'll just eat the losses there, assuming there's no strat I can follow.

On another note, I think the readiness macro you posted works well in helping you to get range on melee classes (other than ferals) when used in combination with double disengage. Scatter and/or ravage followed by disengage, readiness macro (activating master's call, deterrence and silencing shot if available) and another disengage if necessary seems really effective for getting out of death grip, charge/intercept, shadowstep or repentence range. You can also go cheetah during the deterrence (assuming you're out of the range of warrior sweeping strikes and ret judgement) which may make the second disengage unnecessary. Disengage is off the gcd so you should be able to use the macro while in the air and hopefully make opponents waste death grip, charge, repentence, etc.
    Edited: October 3, 2016

9. If you get pounced and don't want to trinket you must roar of sacrifice before dots come up. In most cases an initial scatter shot into frost trap will pretty much lock down ferals as long as you kite around your trap. You may disengage and attempt to Deterrence bear charge/bash. Try not to master's call and disengage at the same time unless you really have to. In duels you can simply feign death if feral starts on top of you like that, they will never ever get pounce xD

Yeah, the readiness disengage makes melee shed a tear when they finally feel like they get a chance to reach you. inb4 rogue preparation shadowstep hehe xD xD

10. Yeah, kiting around a frost trap seems like good advice for ferals- I've noticed frost traps are a pain on my druid. If you're Danaik you can disengage in the opposite direction when they feral charge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLjTRifi6dE&t=21m40s

But I expect you need good latency and reflexes to pull that off.

On another note, I saw that Swifty said that good DKs will just pet stun you when you charge into them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4z70qf3fOE&t=2m

It occurred to me that we can do the same thing with ravager stun (I'm back to thinking that's the best pet).

In fact, the ravager stun seems like such a safe backup plan that we might want to risk dropping a freezing trap at the start since a lot of warriors you meet in bgs and stuff won't reflect it- it's kind of a pro move. Especially if you feign death first since they won't see your trap animation. And especially if the warrior is in berserker stance- he's obviously planning an intercept and would have to change into battle stance to spell reflect.

Even if your trap gets reflected, you've got your pet to stun him when he charges in, and you can follow it with a scatter shot/snake trap.

I really like the ravager stun idea for warriors- if he bladestorms immediately like Swifty did in the video then we have deterrence and disengage to deal with that and using the first gcd on bladestorm means no rend to start the fight and therefore lousy damage.

11. I figured the best hunter pvp guide ever deserved a bump: :)

Plus, I wanted to ask, is there a case for using a wasp pet against rogues?

From reading up on it, it appears to apply a faerie fire-style debuff on the target which prevents them from stealthing, which I assume includes vanish.

http://thehuntersrefuge.blogspot.com/2000/11/wasp.html

Given that vanish is a death sentence for a hunter without a trinket, seems like it would be useful. Do rogues usually save their cloak of shadows for vanish against hunters? If so, then that would obviously make it much less useful, which means I'm inclined not to use it. Unless it's a physical debuff, which I doubt it is. But it does seem like it would be good for the lulz watching the rogue jumping around wondering why he can't vanish. :)
    Edited: December 21, 2016

12. The Wasp's Sting can be dodged by the Rogue's evasion, which is exactly what they do in the opener. Unless you can land it from behind then it really isn't worth using. You start up mounted anyway so that they can't sap your pet so if you do attempt to position it behind yourself all that will happen is your pet gets sapped and you get nuked from 100 to 0 in a shadow dance even if you trinket kidney you will most likely get dismantled into blind and it's over from there. It's a magic debuff much like Faerie Fire from Druids however it can be dodged and has a cooldown. Rogues usually Cloak Serpent Sting/Traps/Hunter's Mark and they still have two more vanishes. Vanishes removes all slows and Hunter's Mark but not Serpent Sting. That's why it's so important to try snipe the Vanish because it's one of the major cooldowns like Shadow dance that will allow them to land a cheap shot > kidney combo.

13. my hunter idol :')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI744YX04m0

wish i could click and backpedal as good as him

14. May 24, 2017  
    Great guide. I agree with pretty much all the talent choices, but I like improved arcane shot more than wild quiver for pvp. Wild quiver is balanced around pve levels of auto shots, which is a lot more than pvp levels of auto shot. Even if you pause while kiting, you won't be getting as many auto shots as if you were standing around steady shotting most of the time, as in pve.

Improved arcane shot is considered a decent pve talent until you get a good bit of ARP, and my pvp-geared hunter has almost none. Plus, there's no limit on your ability to arcane shot in pvp- can do it on the move obviously.

First ... 678910 Last