1. I want to upgrade a CPU

I have a desktop and the CPU it has now is AMD Phenom(tm) 9100e Quad-Core Processor (I know, crappy), I'm looking to upgrade to AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz Six Core (FD6300WMW6KHK) CPU Processor . Does anybody have any idea if it's possible to do this without having to upgrade any other hardware on my PC?
    Edited: February 24, 2016

2. What board are you using? since your Phenom is a AM2+ chipset, whereas all the FX chips are AM3+

And why not just take the leap to a FX 8320? Really easy to overclock, on a stock cooler to 3.8-3.9Ghz, and IIRC it's not a major price jump either. You basically pay like 30 euro more for a 8-Core with a quicker clock speed, and since I've noticed all the newer games are using the FX-8350 as the benchmark for minimal/recommended, the 8320 is basically the same as the 8350 with just a little slower clock speed but it's minimal.

<-- Owner of a FX-8320 clocked at 4.2Ghz.
    Edited: February 24, 2016

3. Post the rest of your specs, we can't know that unless we know everything about your PC...

4. If i were you i'd save up and buy an i5-4460 or something similar. AMD CPUs are awful right now and the 6300 is being beaten by i3s easily.

5. Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9100e 49 °C
    Agena 65nm Technology
    RAM
    6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)
    Motherboard
    Gateway RS780 (AM2) 40 °C
    Graphics
    DELL 1907FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (VISIONTEK) 52 °C
    CrossFire Disabled
    Storage
    596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 ATA Device (SATA) 44 °C
    Optical Drives
    ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Yea I know some of its crap, just looking for a better boost, will slowly update and add to it as I go along.

6. You need to upgrade your board.
    It only supports an AM2 socket so none of the FX (AM3) chips will work.

7. If you want new CPU, you need a new Motherboard, if you buy new Motherboard you will also need to buy new RAM.
    So wait a bit more for new gen gpu/cpus then buy a new pc.

8. If you want new CPU, you need a new Motherboard, if you buy new Motherboard you will also need to buy new RAM.
    So wait a bit more for new gen gpu/cpus then buy a new pc.
    DDR2 can run on a DDR3 slot, it's backwards compatable.

9. I'd buy an SSD with the CPU too :P

10. DDR2 can run on a DDR3 slot, it's backwards compatable.
    "Backwards"? If 2 can run in 3 that's Forward (If 3 could run on 2 that would be backwards).
    And no they are not. Modules themselves are different, the little hole you have on the bottom is in a different place.

11. Also I'd wait for the Zen architecture to launch.

12. "Backwards"? If 2 can run in 3 that's Forward (If 3 could run on 2 that would be backwards).
    And no they are not. Modules themselves are different, the little hole you have on the bottom is in a different place.
    No it's backwards /rollseyes
    Running something old in a new generation is called Backwards Compatibility.

And yes they are, my PC prior to the one I'm using was a DDR3 board but I was only running some old 667Mhz Kingston DDR2.

13. No it's backwards /rollseyes
    Running something old in a new generation is called Backwards Compatibility.

And yes they are, my PC prior to the one I'm using was a DDR3 board but I was only running some old 667Mhz Kingston DDR2.
    It doesn't fit in the same slot lol, same thing with ddr3 and ddr4. You had a ddr2 board if you were using ddr2.

14. DDR2 can run on a DDR3 slot, it's backwards compatable.
    This reminds me of this video

123 Last