1. Do retribution paladins sux in PVP? Yes or No?

Hey guys,

What is is the current situation with retribution paladins in PVP on Frostwolf? I am talking about fully geared retribution paladins (S14 gear and later S15 gear).
    There is a lot of people saying that they are worst melee class in MOP, they do very low damage without CDs, they die really fast, not viable in arena etc.

I mean this was a situation retail from what I remember.

Now, here on Frostwolf there is a quite a few +2k rated retri paladis (other melee hybrid classes like feral druid or enhancenment shaman, they just dont get over 2k rating in 2v2), they are owning ppl outside of Stormwid in duels and they generally do a lot of DMG in BGs. They have crazy heals, mobility and bubbles. Best support class out there I would say. Yes, they are not warriors or hunters but do they really sux that hard? Thanks for your insights!

2. Well, they still are the best support class, they have an OK burst, not the best, but okay, offheals can crit nicely, they are viable for arenas with some comps like ret/rogue, or ret/hunt or ret/fire mage and you can easily go 2k+ if you know how to play, BGs, I have no prob to be in the top 3 dmg done with my 522 ret. So all in all, is it viable, yes it is, will you be some1s first choice for arenas or RBGs, or even PVE, probably not, unless youre really that good. I wouldnt suggest rolling it unless you really love to play it, there are better specs to roll and do better on them with 50% less effort, but you cant say that they aren't viable.

3. I wouldn't go as far to say the best support class, but they are certainly viable.In good hands they are extremely deadly as well, enhancement shamans don't get over 2k simply because they are mainly noobs , there are fewer of them, and people generally don't understand how the class works.There is so much more to shamans but blind ascendance tunneling, I would say ferals are even better than rets but due to complexity of their rotation they are again underplayed.Paladin is simply easy and powerful that is why you see more of them - not because they are a better class.

4. finally some normal reply about rets.. I agree with most of what Maminho said... Not only that I don't have problem be top 3 in BGs, but even when I do super strong premade often I end up being the No1 DPS with highest kill count.
    In arena, u have to focus bit harder cause u can't afford to make any mistakes like on some other classes. Most of all, u need to learn how to pace and balance yourself cause it's all about burst control, and Pala has an amazing burst if played right. Bottom line, you can do pretty solid and it's really not a problem to go over 2k, but if you want to be top of the charts, than yes, you need to role smth, else.
    Now conclusion, paladin is really not the strongest class, but contrary what tons of ppl will say, it's faaaar from worse DPS in the game. PPL usually don't know how to play and since Paladin requires more effort to be competitive in the game, they just assume it sucks.
    Edited: March 5, 2016

5. Ret only had 1 (max 2) viable comps in 3v3, whereas the other hybrid or melee classes usually have 2 or 3 times more comps to pick from, 2v2 is a different story, but rogue/warrior/death knight(+healer)/windwanker monk is still better sadly. I believe this is why people rule out retris as one of the worst melees in the game.

They're not bad, but they're not top tier.

6. Well, they still are the best support class, they have an OK burst, not the best, but okay, offheals can crit nicely, they are viable for arenas with some comps like ret/rogue, or ret/hunt or ret/fire mage and you can easily go 2k+ if you know how to play, BGs, I have no prob to be in the top 3 dmg done with my 522 ret. So all in all, is it viable, yes it is, will you be some1s first choice for arenas or RBGs, or even PVE, probably not, unless youre really that good. I wouldnt suggest rolling it unless you really love to play it, there are better specs to roll and do better on them with 50% less effort, but you cant say that they aren't viable.
    Thanks for your reply!

OK burst? I though that geared retri paladin has one of the best controlled burst in the game.
    Anyway, I like hybrid classes, so was thinking about retribution paladin. Are you able to shortly compare enhancenment shamans and feral druids with paladin?
    Is shaman's burst more deadly then paladin's and how is shaman's damage without CDs? Are ferals even more gimped then retribution paladis?

I just don't want to play warrior or hunter like half of the server. :-) Thanks!

7. Ret only had 1 (max 2) viable comps in 3v3, whereas the other hybrid or melee classes usually have 2 or 3 times more comps to pick from, 2v2 is a different story, but rogue/warrior/death knight(+healer)/windwanker monk is still better sadly. I believe this is why people rule out retris as one of the worst melees in the game.

They're not bad, but they're not top tier.
    Well, 3v3 is dead on Frostwolf anyway. Regarding 2v2, from what I have understood retri paladins are good only in pair with another DPS with good CCs like hunter, mage or rogue.

Torcida1950, Moaraxes - Thanks guys!

8. Paladin has great burst, it's more than just OK.
    In regards to Enh. shamans and ferals, I can't say for shaman cause I didn't play it much here on mop, but feral is definitely stronger class. The only thing, feral is really hard class to master, but once u do so, feral can pretty much beat any class.

9. Thanks for your reply!

OK burst? I though that geared retri paladin has one of the best controlled burst in the game.
    Anyway, I like hybrid classes, so was thinking about retribution paladin. Are you able to shortly compare enhancenment shamans and feral druids with paladin?
    Is shaman's burst more deadly then paladin's and how is shaman's damage without CDs? Are ferals even more gimped then retribution paladis?

I just don't want to play warrior or hunter like half of the server. :-) Thanks!
    People allways think rets have the best burst ingame, but its not even close compared to lets say rogues atm, and we pay dearly if we fail to time it right, but other classes have mechanics which makes it kind forgiving, like strong CCs and healing reduction. As for the comparison, it depends which playstyle you like, for example, atm, when we do premades or even solo que, if theres no healer, I mostly help the team by offhealing and hands, while as a feral and ehn you rather go with just DPSing, as feral you have bleeds, blinks, speed increase which help you to keep pressure up or get in los to heal up, or if getting tunneled you bear form and you can live thru it, nothing can break it, ehn shammys are good, especially when you proc, but me personally, if I would roll an shammy, I would go for ele, the burst is equally strong and the selfheals are just badass, and in my opinion you can keep up more pressure with a ranged class then a melee. The thing is, you cant go wrong with any class/spec combo as long as you enjoy it and give your best, there will allways be anti classes and OP classes at certain expansions, there wont ever be a perfect balance, thats why you either go with the weave and play the most OP ones or stick to what you like and find a way to be competitive and steal some OP MFs their spots.

10. Paladin has great burst, it's more than just OK.
    In regards to Enh. shamans and ferals, I can't say for shaman cause I didn't play it much here on mop, but feral is definitely stronger class. The only thing, feral is really hard class to master, but once u do so, feral can pretty much beat any class.
    Yeah. Feral druid must be definitely hard class to master because here on Frostwolf most of the druids play resto, there is few balance druids and you have to be really lucky to see a feral druid. :-) One of the discouraging things for me to play feral is that ferals has to keep refreshing all those buffs and debuffs every 10 or 20 seconds haha.

11. In duels and 2's they are behind DKs, playable, but it will be hard to win against a good team. I haven't the same experiences you have as my burst almost always gets cc'd and often interrupted so it's hard to even generate holy power to get rolling. The burst is decent, but it's not on par with other melee. Maybe FRdK, it's the only class I haven't played.

In raids and larger groups Rets shine, they have good AoE, mobility, utility, and survivability. Able to save everyone's arse at a moments notice or even off tank for a short period of time if it looks like a wipe.

12. Ret is doing quite okay, as long you have partner. If you really want to stomp on 1 v 1, other class do that better :). Ret is burst is not the best, but they arent countered easily and they have long period of burst.

13. The burst is decent, but it's not on par with other melee...
    Completely false statement. Problem with paladin is not the burst, but the fact that once it's out of burst, DPS is lower than most of the classes. In regards to burst, I would even say that paladin's burst is among strongest bursts in general. Not the strongest one, but among top ones. You just need to do it right cause it's not as easy as it was on WOTLK, and it takes time to charge/stack... Also, there are few tricks with paladin that significantly increase dmg...

14. Completely false statement. Problem with paladin is not the burst, but the fact that once it's out of burst, DPS is lower than most of the classes. In regards to burst, I would even say that paladin's burst is among strongest bursts in general. Not the strongest one, but among top ones. You just need to do it right cause it's not as easy as it was on WOTLK, and it takes time to charge/stack... Also, there are few tricks with paladin that significantly increase dmg...
    Don't get me wrong the multi-target burst is insanely good at spread pressure if not interrupted, but look at all the other melee classes: Feral, Warrior, Enhancement shaman, Sub Rogue, Combat Rogue, BM hunter. If SwG and trinket pop at same time then hit your bind(s)/macros and no one interrupts me, it is a lol fest in an RBG. Paladin is balanced well IMO, it's just not all that great in 1vs 1 or 2 vs 2 assuming both opponents are highly skilled. It's a complete pain to try to kill a Healer+AnyDPS in 2s. 3s and 5s though, with dat utility. A highly skilled Ret will make or break that party.

15. Ret palas are VERY good in PvP. Go with [Divine Purpose] and you will be able to use [Word of Glory] and be practically immortal. Also, their burst is amazing.

12 Last